Domestic Noise

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Re: Domestic Noise

Post by Residual / RT »

ChicagoAnimal wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:30 pm I am surprised I have not read anyone mention Ashley C's Drift album on Freak Animal. It is a remarkably low-key album, almost pitch-black, cold, flowing, almost floating noise release. If you want to turn your evening living room into barren dead-zone, turn this album on. I have always thought that if Atrax Morgue/Slaughter stuff is the interior barren landscape, Ashley C's Drift is like the exteriority of that.
Excellent album and very well put. I absolutely love that phrase, turns your living into a barren dead-zone.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

oZiris wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:57 am It's like one year everything is shut down and you're just sitting around reading and skipping out on your gestapo therapy appt. And the next thing you know you're entangled in a familiar soul sucking emotional web for a year straight, and when you realize it.. like you had a few times before. you ask yourself, where did all the time go?
adult human wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:53 am half finished TINGS in the attic of a dead relative whose house you have to clear out. Zero explanation as to how or why they got there or what it was meant to be.
Like a 4chan JOKE that never ends. 2 years ago everyone i knew (in my community) was all about defund the police & allocate community resources. And all i hear by promoters today is Fight the Climate Crisis or Fuck Planet Earth. How many school shootings in a year till we’re actually in the dark ages? Tucker. Elon. Greg Abbott. Oh fuck, there i go again chatbot. #AmericanProblems Feeding those message board trolls who don’t give a fuck about noise IRL unless you’re buying vinyl or consuming thier verified ad revinue content. In so many ways; I'd rather just go to a show every other week and consider those people "my Community". But alt-right chatGpt bot seems like such an avid noise enthusiast! I could speak binary with they all day long.

Neway, i suggest tending to your own crops. Keep promoting tat throw away tribalism tape hustle dog. Crony Capitalism is so god damn truf. It does become an oxymoron within the community when some members truly try to elevate or further a medium within the subculture in comparison to apposing community members that flaunt their own lack of ethics, creativity, and inspiration. But like if all the people you grew up with are still playing grunge, then really what’s the difference Right? Plenty of 20 year olds still play grunge Right? Like that rockguitarhero tribute game.

Better to be crucified atop ɒ lithium ion goldmine then to be spiritually imprisoned in a Cryptofascist sink hole.

Watch out kidz.
Don’t get dropped
Beyond all the Rusted sheet metal glitz glammor & clever packaging
What’s actually on the recording is what Reely matters.
Don’t let the carny $ide$how hyper reactive wificentric culture;
Be Your Burial

Happy May Day!
As your friend IRL, I am intrigued by this post but have no idea what you mean by it - I get pieces here and there - and how it applies to the thread.

Are you talking about elitism/shallow consumerism within the structure of distributing noise releases intended for home listening?
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

Riverbed Chemicals by Toanche Dwelling seems to fit the bill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNT9ojHUg4I
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

murmur wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:50 am Riverbed Chemicals by Toanche Dwelling seems to fit the bill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNT9ojHUg4I
I’d expand that out to include everything I’ve heard from the project
khml
Blank Tape

Post by khml »

Fantastic topic that actually made me to sign up; this is something that is, albeit rather vaguely-articulated, on my mind for some time and what I’m finding oddly fascinating.

As of the definition, it can be tied to numerous thing and the interpretation is, as always, very subjective; but I see it as a combination of aesthetics, means of recording, the overall sound and approach (to all of the above).

I’ve always considered that the domestic feel comes from the approach of home recording which directly ties to using household objects, the inherent lo-finess of the recording itself, the everpresent sounds of the surroundings (you can call it sort of mise-en-scene of the recording) : usually the floor, chairs, outside noise etc., sometimes more present, at other times just barely there, maybe all imagined; more or less obsolete technology, as if found in the attic, or inherited; detritus and debris of found sounds (old answering machines bought at flea markets or found laying around); fried circuitry, overblown tapes, moisture seeping in.
It’s this weird mixture of noise, musique concrete, sound collage and diy approach; often with this acknowledged amateurism/dilettantism edge to it, which makes it just so more reliable.

TVE, T.D. are very nice examples – didn’t have the chance to listen to Robert Fuchs stuff. The original post is mentioning Dressing, and I’d say that especially the first two tapes/CD comp do fit the bill, even though the approach to sound is very different to those mentioned earlier. I’m little bit surprised there’s no mentiong of Darksmith (but he’s been release on Regional bears so that may counts, heh) – that would be some of prime examples.
UVC, J.S. Hogan,YÜ//F, some of the Kevin Drumm (like that Earrach stuff, but there’s much more), some aspects of what Grisha Shakhnes does (even though not that noisy), possibly some Grant Evans recordings, yol, all of those microcassette abusers.
It strangely reminds of some old Wolf Eyes recordings, can’t say which exactly now, it’s been a while since I’ve been listening to those. Yet, there’s this basement lo-fi crud.

For me it strangely represents the mundanity of everyday life and the melancholy, anxiety and dread inherently contained in all of the small life happening all the time, everywhere.

I surely had some plan to say something more significant but it somehow ended up like mess... //sorry for any typos//
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

khml wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:41 am It strangely reminds of some old Wolf Eyes recordings, can’t say which exactly now, it’s been a while since I’ve been listening to those. Yet, there’s this basement lo-fi crud.
I’m not super familiar with Wolf Eyes, but one release that definitely fits in this vein is Sept 3, which I love.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Whenever I see this thread I think of my parents fighting.
khml
Blank Tape

Post by khml »

murmur wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:16 pm I’m not super familiar with Wolf Eyes, but one release that definitely fits in this vein is Sept 3, which I love.
I don't know the one you mention - have to check it. Kind of fell off with Wolf eyes in between 2010 and 2012 and never really caught up after that.
I vaguely remember that I got my hands on stuff like Human Slaughterhouse Demos, Strangulation Tank, Strangle rations and some other stuff from around these times; don't have these with me anymore but I have this sort-of memory about what it sounded like - it's all mashed together: crude electronics, strange loops, lo-fi sounds for which is hard to decipher what's their source.

luciferjonez wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:50 pm Whenever I see this thread I think of my parents fighting.
Even though unpleasant, I think this might be somewhat integral to whole idea, at least it somehow ties with unconsciousness of suburbia.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

luciferjonez wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:50 pm Whenever I see this thread I think of my parents fighting.
The Humectant Interruption & Crank Sturgeon collab tape on Spite from 1998(?) has sounds of Joel's (Humectant) parents arguing. That and lots of radio buzz. Superb noise tape which kinda qualifies for this thread.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Capers wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:25 am
The Humectant Interruption & Crank Sturgeon collab tape on Spite from 1998(?) has sounds of Joel's (Humectant) parents arguing. That and lots of radio buzz. Superb noise tape which kinda qualifies for this thread.
There’s a Coits album that has similar going on too, I believe.

And how about the classic “I DON’T WANNA GO TO THE LIBRARY!” on that Controlled Bleedinh album?!
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

I think it's safe to say, Paul never did give a flying fuck*.

Asshole was home before...

I'm tense!

* the semi apology in the liner notes is quite sweet tho
Mattias Gustafsson
Contact Mic

Post by Mattias Gustafsson »

If i understand everything right I think maybe you should check out group ONGAKU (music of group ONGAKU LP, Seer sound archive). Recorded 1960. Weird improv and recorded in different rooms in a house with household objects etc. Check (Automatism).
And the Shots-Private hate LP (Careful Caralog). Graham Lambkin and many KYE releases comes to mind. Maybe some Darksmith releases? The list is long but this thread is kind of disorienting for me and that is also my English.
Last edited by Mattias Gustafsson on Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattias Gustafsson
Contact Mic

Post by Mattias Gustafsson »

Also many artists and pieces from the Fluxus movement from the 60’s and foreword will fit in on some of your descriptions.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Mattias Gustafsson wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:54 pm Shots-Private hate LP
Graham Lambkin and many KYE releases comes to mind. Maybe some Darksmith releases?

All very correct. The Shots LP is insane in its (brilliant) understated boringness. Like a single field recording but, I'd guess, made from a bunch of different contributions.

Lambkin is kind of ground zero for me on almost everything I love, which includes utterly perfect placement of ordinary, domestic intrusions into otherwise quite lush or conceptually driven recordings. A lot of his stuff feels like it is recorded in a certain space too. Ideal.

Someone earlier mentioned Darksmith. It's a good call. I'd say his work strives for a pretty straight up take on concrete/sound collage but it certainly comes with its own very obscure kind of home made quality.
Tribe Tapes
Thrashmaster

Post by Tribe Tapes »

Tom Cox / TAC has recently resurfaced, privately releasing two archival works this year. Here is an upload of part of his 6x C100 box set, “Next”, originally released by A4’s Suitcase label in the 1990s.

For further listening, I suggest “Objects”, in which different domestic setups* are used to make noise, each preceded by a spoken introduction by Tom.

*Choice titles include “Brick On Concrete, Leaves” “Roll Of Masking Tape”, “Carpet”, and “Freezer”.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

Tribe Tapes wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:35 pm Here is an upload of part of his 6x C100 box set, “Next”, originally released by A4’s Suitcase label in the 1990s.

Still quite possibly my favorite sound thing ever recorded bar none
For further listening, I suggest “Objects”, in which different domestic setups* are used to make noise, each preceded by a spoken introduction by Tom.
Tell me he's played live. I like the idear of a rapt body of fans yelling out requests:

Roll Of Masking Tape!

Paper Bag!

Fuck, dude, Linoleum Tiles!!
Tribe Tapes
Thrashmaster

Post by Tribe Tapes »

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:47 am Tell me he's played live. I like the idear of a rapt body of fans yelling out requests:

Roll Of Masking Tape!

Paper Bag!

Fuck, dude, Linoleum Tiles!!
Good you mentioned it. Here is a videoclip of a collaborative performance between TAC, All Fours, and Kapotte Muziek (released on CD as part of the Materialsrecoveryfacility compilation)

Sadly omitted our track of choice, but rabid fans still call for it at every other noise show.
Scrap metal, shaker boxes, where the fuck are the linoleum tiles?