Favorite Venues

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
PetiteSoles
Hard Panning

Favorite Venues

Post by PetiteSoles »

I’m not sure if this belongs here but I feel like it could be a good resource as well as a way to share memories of venues long gone in your area, or that you’ve played on tour.

Coming from the punk/grindcore scenes I tend to gravitate towards the warehouse/industrial setting. Punk venues like Hazmat, Burnt Ramen, etc were always fun in the Bay Area. Sadly most of them are gone. First Church of the Buzzard I believe is still around. Of course art spaces like The Lab in SF were always pleasant. And discovering Terminal much too late was eye opening. Seeing Black Leather Jesus & company at The (old) Oakland Metro was pretty amazing. The side room at their older spot was pretty great.

Since moving to Pittsburgh, Collision in Wilkinsburg and Green Beacon in Greensburg have been my go to spots. Collision is having its last show but from what I heard a new spot will be opening somewhat nearby to take its place. Green Beacon is great but getting people to drive out to Greensburg has been a battle. A few devoted individuals seem to make it out each time. But there’s also been some great shows hitting there. Reminds me of getting people out to shows in Concord. But at least the Bay Area had the BART train.
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Re: Favorite Venues

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

Interesting topic, and much can be said about the state of venues in the United States right now.

In Minneapolis, I was lucky to experience great noise shows at the following...

Medusa (RIP)
Rathole (RIP)
Secret Service (RIP)
Shitbiscuit (RIP)
The Riverboat (RIP; I lived here and ran stuff for awhile before it was turned into a psychotic coke-fueled faux-disco dance party house by my loser of a roommate)
The Hexagon(RIP)
Triple Rock Social Club (RIP)
Kitty Cat Klub (RIP)
Shegypt (RIP)
Eagles Club

In Chicago...
Treasure Town/Mortville (RIP)
Club Rectum (RIP)
Options
Empty Bottle
Laura
Midwaste Space Peoples (RIP)

Elsewhere, too many to name. One spot I want to give a shout out to is Heaven's Gate in Philadelphia.

It is super interesting to notice that the warehouse scene of 10-15 years ago is almost entirely gone now at this point and has been replaced by a rave scene that seems to - and this is a good idea tbqfh - rent spaces out by the night. Maybe I am wrong here, though....
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

I haven't been in years, so I'm not sure if anything's changed, but the back room of Ziggy's in Chattanooga was a madhouse.

Big Baby House in Tuscaloosa is another place I miss, but those days are long gone.

EDIT: R.I.P. Ziggy's. God dammit.
Yankee
Sound Art

Post by Yankee »

My favorite spot was BORG WARD. Best loudest sound. Perfect layout. Cool hangout spot in back. Great funnest crowd. Nerds be jizzin’
Trash Stratum
Sound Art

Post by Trash Stratum »

Josephine and S.S. Marie Antoinette in Seattle
Westside Welding and Machine in Vancouver WA
Slates : [73]
Trash Stratum
AlexVirtues
Contact Mic

Post by AlexVirtues »

Yankee wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:42 pm My favorite spot was BORG WARD. Best loudest sound. Perfect layout. Cool hangout spot in back. Great funnest crowd. Nerds be jizzin’
Borg Ward in Milwaukee is sorely missed, and the scene here has never recovered since its passing.
parasitenurse
C20

Post by parasitenurse »

lo bot in oakland (rip)
lcm in oakland (rip?)
pink string in oakland (rip)
the tubes in oakland
first church of the buzzard in oakland
world rage center in oakland (rip)
gilman in berkeley gets honorary mention cuz i got to play with excruciating terror there
mullet death hq in novato
the glove in brooklyn (rip)
chaos computer in brooklyn (rip for now)
heck in brooklyn (rip)
black lodge in seattle (rip?)
perez tire shop in la (rip)
coaxial in la
1911/black lace in pvd

damn this is more of an obituary than anything else but had great times at all these places. coaxial and 1911 are both incredible active spaces though and i highly recommend attending/playing a show there if you happen to be in either area. absolutely phenomenal sound systems, great vibes, coaxial has a back yard and 1911 has a giant parking lot where some post-noise wiffle ball took place when i played. both venues have a solid mix of young and old and i find that to be incredibly inspiring. also my friend and former bandmate has been doing mostly grind shows at stay gold deli in oakland and i def want to catch one of those. ive been to shows there before but it was some like indie bands or something so i mostly just played pool on the busted table in the backyard. could be a cool space for mixed bill noise/pe/industrial/grind shows if anyone in the 510 wants to get in touch about that.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

The Rake's End in Cincinnati, Ohio. What an incredible venue for noise. Saw lots of great acts there and I played maybe four or six times. RIP and RIP Jerome.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

I saw Gerritt and Moth Drakula last night deep basement, pro-venue, small cozy Belltown Yacht Club. I enjoyed my stay in there.