Travelling overseas for a noise show? Who's dunnit?

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Travelling overseas for a noise show? Who's dunnit?

Post by luciferjonez »

Apologies for posting a link to an event if it's not allowed. I've been listening to a lot of the Noisextra podcast and the stories about shows that the hosts and guests have been to in Japan and Europe. I'm guessing that they are also on tour at the time? I was thinking about getting away for a few days and going somewhere. A vacation with friends would be great but most of my friends have kids, are in some sort of rehab, or broke. So I'm thinking of a solo vacation and what better way to see another country than to go for a show or two day festival?

This Hospital fest seems right up my alley but I don't know anyone in Japan, never been there and I have no idea of the cost. Has anyone traveled to Osaka? Have an idea of cost or a hotel in the area that I won't have to sell an organ to afford? I just started looking into it as a lofty goal, but one I'd like to achieve. My friends aren't into noise but I'm a big boy and if Fernow can travel to mass from R.I. at 13 without 2 nickels to rub together then I think I can pull this off:

https://hospitalproductions.net/blogs/n ... ow-on-sale
necklaceofheads
Blank Tape

Re: Travelling overseas for a noise show? Who's dunnit?

Post by necklaceofheads »

I have a ticket, but am waiting until I pick my vacation weeks for next year before booking anything. I’ve never been out of the US and I’ve always wanted to go to Japan for record shopping and wrestling. Dreading the flight, but I know it’ll be worth it.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Never done it, but I do wish I could get to both that Hostpital/NWN fest and the final Bizarre Uproar show next April.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

necklaceofheads wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:19 pm […] go to Japan for record shopping and wrestling. Dreading the flight, but I know it’ll be worth it.
Record shopping in Japan is the most fun I’ve ever had record shopping. Overwhelming sometimes… I highly recommend it. I came back with my suitcase packed stupidly full of records!
The flight is Loooooooong…. 12hrs in a tube with wings ✈️ over vast endless ocean… eek!
necklaceofheads
Blank Tape

Post by necklaceofheads »

Happiness, forever wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:28 pm
necklaceofheads wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:19 pm […] go to Japan for record shopping and wrestling. Dreading the flight, but I know it’ll be worth it.
Record shopping in Japan is the most fun I’ve ever had record shopping. Overwhelming sometimes… I highly recommend it. I came back with my suitcase packed stupidly full of records!
The flight is Loooooooong…. 12hrs in a tube with wings ✈️ over vast endless ocean… eek!
The plan is to pack the bare minimum that will fit in my personal bag and save every inch of my carry on for records.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

necklaceofheads wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:22 pm
I came back with my suitcase packed stupidly full of records!
The plan is to pack the bare minimum that will fit in my personal bag and save every inch of my carry on for records.
Which is EXACTLY what I did but with a checked suitcase, carry on backpack with clothes etc, NO REGERTS!!!
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

necklaceofheads wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:19 pm I have a ticket, but am waiting until I pick my vacation weeks for next year before booking anything. I’ve never been out of the US and I’ve always wanted to go to Japan for record shopping and wrestling. Dreading the flight, but I know it’ll be worth it.
My wife wants to come but declared that I cannot go for an extended weekend with a 20 hour flight (we're in NYC). She said we should go for 2 weeks at a minimum. Personally I wanted to go solo and just soak up noise. She sadly is not a noise fan.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

luciferjonez wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:53 am
necklaceofheads wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:19 pm I have a ticket, but am waiting until I pick my vacation weeks for next year before booking anything. I’ve never been out of the US and I’ve always wanted to go to Japan for record shopping and wrestling. Dreading the flight, but I know it’ll be worth it.
My wife wants to come but declared that I cannot go for an extended weekend with a 20 hour flight (we're in NYC). She said we should go for 2 weeks at a minimum. Personally I wanted to go solo and just soak up noise. She sadly is not a noise fan.
If it’s your first trip then definitely go for at least 2 weeks.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

I'm attempting to spread it over two weeks split across three, but I think my boss is probably going to give me a hard time with that. I'm including travel time in that to be safe. Planning to spend appeox 4-5 days in Osaka + 4-5 in Tokyo with a friend.

My friend is the superior, more committed otaku, so I'm basically just along for the ride. Record shopping for sure.
Kenny
Thrashmaster

Post by Kenny »

Hope this will give you a reason to be in Tokyo for the weekend following Hospital Fest...
https://www.screamandwrithe.com/forum/v ... php?t=1003
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

If you're going for longer than the fest, save as much money as you can beforehand. Food is good and usually cheap in Japan, accommodation less so although it can be arranged. However, having as much money as possible with you when you're there is important because the last thing you want when you're in Japan is to feel frustrated because you don't have enough money to try everything you want. That's not like travelling from the US to Europe or vice-versa. The culture clash is so huge the first time (in a good way) you want to be sure to be able to experience it to its fullest.
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Kenny wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:38 pm Hope this will give you a reason to be in Tokyo for the weekend following Hospital Fest...
If I had more than 15 days of PTO per year, I might try for it. The best I could reasonably hope for is catching Saturday night.

As for cash, I plan to budget accordingly. But I assume trying to pay with a CC might be a headache or even impossible some places. Not really stoked on trying to do USD to JPY mental math conversions with physical currency. Beyond barely-crystalized muscle memory or brute force rote memorization, I have enough trouble reading a clock or estimating my own native currency without resorting to finger math as is.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:49 am
Kenny wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:38 pm Hope this will give you a reason to be in Tokyo for the weekend following Hospital Fest...
If I had more than 15 days of PTO per year, I might try for it. The best I could reasonably hope for is catching Saturday night.

As for cash, I plan to budget accordingly. But I assume trying to pay with a CC might be a headache or even impossible some places. Not really stoked on trying to do USD to JPY mental math conversions with physical currency. Beyond barely-crystalized muscle memory or brute force rote memorization, I have enough trouble reading a clock or estimating my own native currency without resorting to finger math as is.
Definitely not impossible to use CC and most 7-11s have ATM/cash point machines that accept foreign debit cards for cash withdrawals.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

necklaceofheads wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:22 pm
You can also mail things back to yourself, shipping from Japan to the US way more reasonable than US to Japan. Most post offices have staff who are helpful and you can purchase any box(es) you’d need there all reasonably priced versus extra change from an airline.
searchofexit
Contact Mic

Post by searchofexit »

You can also mail things back to yourself, shipping from Japan to the US way more reasonable than US to Japan. Most post offices have staff who are helpful and you can purchase any box(es) you’d need there all reasonably priced versus extra change from an airline.
This is real helpful, thanks Matt!
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

searchofexit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:00 pm
This is real helpful, thanks Matt!
Any time!
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

For anyone who doesn't care where they'll stay as long as it is cheap and there's a roof, there are cheap (and I think good) hostels in Nishinari where you can stay for less than 5 euros a night. Near Dobutsuenmae station at least two or three, but haven't had to stay in one for a long time so don't know the current situation.
EDIT: In Osaka I mean.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

Maybe something else to consider for anyone who’s mostly noise inclined on their first trip to Japan is noise venue experience, the Osaka show at Gorilla Hall occupancy is 1300 and will undoubtedly be great sound and lighting, great sight lines etc.

But if you have the opportunity to check out Namba Bears in Osaka or as Kenny posted in this thread previously the Mechanical Parts II show in Tokyo at Ochiai Soup. Both venues are typical of a common and in the case of Bears historic, noise venue; traditionally small occupancy, crushing sound, full affordable bar, absolutely a sweaty good time.
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

Also especially Environment 0g in Osaka for noise, experimental and electronic music. Really great venue with a huge sound system and frequent noise shows.
Kenny
Thrashmaster

Post by Kenny »

Just added

CUSTODIAN (USA)
DISSECTING TABLE (JAPAN)
LIKE WEEDS (JAPAN)
SD. KFZ (FRANCE)
MALFORMED GENTLEMEN (JAPAN)

Lots more coming!