Underrated and under hyped projects

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Re: Underrated and under hyped projects

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

k.p.g wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:02 pm
Lidless Eye is incredible freak shit that I had to dig for hard. Why does no one talk about him too much? Certain circles get it, but this should be some of the hottest shit around today. His take on tapes and synth work is far beyond what anyone else is attempting with the same pieces of gear.
I played with this guy a month or so ago, and I agree that his stuff was awesome. That night, he played the best set.

I think it is because this style is something of an approach that is somewhat dated in the Americana basement experimental tradition. No clue how long he has been ripping - I think for quite a long time - but the trajectory for this stuff is back to the Basement and Bongs; it isn't Champagne Noise. More interestingly enough, I doubt we will see another wave of artists do this style anytime soon, so he something of an endangered species, if you ask me.
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

Capers wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:31 am The Swedish project BAD KHARMA is probably most known for his collabs with Marhaug in the 2000's and his ambient work. But this 4xCS box, https://www.discogs.com/release/1166135 ... arma-96-98, contains some seriously great inventive tape loop-based harsh noise. Both old americanoise and Vivenza:esque industrial comes to mind. Recorded in the mid-late 90's in the north of Sweden and in Norway years before any other swede did anything remotely similar. Sure there was Blod - another loner - but his thing was vastly different. Ronnie Sundin/Bad Kharma is an unsung pioneer of swedish noise. A copy of this highly limited box set is available on discogs, not too expensive. It doesn't LOOK very exciting, but it is. Buy it if you can!
Seconded! Great varied stuff in this set and the prices never got too high. And it is several hours of material!
pumpensumpf
Blank Tape

Post by pumpensumpf »

moozz wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:55 am
Capers wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:31 am The Swedish project BAD KHARMA is probably most known for his collabs with Marhaug in the 2000's and his ambient work. But this 4xCS box, https://www.discogs.com/release/1166135 ... arma-96-98, contains some seriously great inventive tape loop-based harsh noise. Both old americanoise and Vivenza:esque industrial comes to mind. Recorded in the mid-late 90's in the north of Sweden and in Norway years before any other swede did anything remotely similar. Sure there was Blod - another loner - but his thing was vastly different. Ronnie Sundin/Bad Kharma is an unsung pioneer of swedish noise. A copy of this highly limited box set is available on discogs, not too expensive. It doesn't LOOK very exciting, but it is. Buy it if you can!
Seconded! Great varied stuff in this set and the prices never got too high. And it is several hours of material!
Indeed, I love Ronnie Sundins work, both the loud and the ultra quiet stuff. Anybody know if he's still active? I saw him giving a lecture about Rune Lindblad about 10 years ago with a box of old rediscovered Lindblad tapes, but that was the last I heard.
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

Back again to continue my rant on artists & labels you need to know more about...

Defektro is Australia's finest, flat out. While his work as a pedal maker is revered with Lastgasp Art Labs, I feel like I have never heard any prominent discussion of his noise. For as much as people discuss their love of metal-banging industrial noise, you'd think there would be more heads hip to this project. The Forged Seeds record is a great place to start.

Kitty Play Records is a criminally underrated label from the 2000s noise boom and much more important to my noise journey than I have previously given it credit (not that Mark really cares about the credit anyways). Phenomenal titles from the likes of twodeadsluts onegoodfuck, Kevin Drumm, Aaron Dilloway & John Wiese all came out on this label back in the day, and their later era titles included Sickness, Guilty Connecter & Like Weeds. Check this label's catalog out if you have any interest in following labels like you do certain artists.
Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

k.p.g wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:46 amDefektro is Australia's finest, flat out. While his work as a pedal maker is revered with Lastgasp Art Labs, I feel like I have never heard any prominent discussion of his noise.
I have a 7" that I haven't gone back to in a long time (Hard Luck Heart? I think) that I'll have to pull out this weekend. I was not aware of the Lastgast Art connection but I have always been curious about the Superoscillo Fuzz with all the switches.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

New Forces wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:22 pm Mass Marriage. People like her stuff but I'm convinced she's a genius and underappreciated as a unique voice in heavy electronics, from sound to visuals to overall aesthetic and vibe.
I LOVE Mel's work. I interviewed her recently and she was such a lovely person to chat with. I have a few wants from her discography, particularly the Unexamine/MM split, what a match up! Two of my favourites. What I like is that you aren't bombarded with releases, you can tell there's a lot of care that goes into each release.
New Forces
Hard Panning

Post by New Forces »

holy ghost wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:45 pm
New Forces wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:22 pm Mass Marriage. People like her stuff but I'm convinced she's a genius and underappreciated as a unique voice in heavy electronics, from sound to visuals to overall aesthetic and vibe.
I LOVE Mel's work. I interviewed her recently and she was such a lovely person to chat with. I have a few wants from her discography, particularly the Unexamine/MM split, what a match up! Two of my favourites. What I like is that you aren't bombarded with releases, you can tell there's a lot of care that goes into each release.
We're gonna do a multi-CD that will collect a lot of those tapes that are impossible to find.
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

What Mass Marriage material is the best? I was variously fascinated and underwhelmed when I was digging through live clips/samples from her.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

New Forces wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:13 pmWe're gonna do a multi-CD that will collect a lot of those tapes that are impossible to find.
Hell yeah that's really sick. That will make a great compilation.
SS1535 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:58 pm What Mass Marriage material is the best? I was variously fascinated and underwhelmed when I was digging through live clips/samples from her.
I'd say the recent Restless CD on New Forces is the best starting point but the Nothing Underneath tape was the first thing I heard and I am very partial to that one as well.
New Forces
Hard Panning

Post by New Forces »

SS1535 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:58 pm What Mass Marriage material is the best? I was variously fascinated and underwhelmed when I was digging through live clips/samples from her.
“Secrets” is my favorite
New Forces

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

holy ghost wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:03 pm
New Forces wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:13 pmWe're gonna do a multi-CD that will collect a lot of those tapes that are impossible to find.
Hell yeah that's really sick. That will make a great compilation.
I'd say the recent Restless CD on New Forces is the best starting point but the Nothing Underneath tape was the first thing I heard and I am very partial to that one as well.
Thanks!
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

New Forces wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:39 pm
“Secrets” is my favorite
Appreciated!
New Forces
Hard Panning

Post by New Forces »

Any easy one for this thread is Howard Stelzer - some of the most immersive and interesting tape music and drones, been doing it forever... great stuff.
New Forces

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

Elisha Morningstar especially Nuovo Spazio Logico and Quattro Estratti. Esodo
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

New Forces wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:35 am An easy one for this thread is Howard Stelzer - some of the most immersive and interesting tape music and drones, been doing it forever... great stuff.
Cosigned, though it may be antithetical to the project to suggest that hype is to be involved even at an inverted disposition.