The Rita - King Richard III

Dedicated reviews section. All writers welcome.
HELP ME TO FEEL
Blank Tape

The Rita - King Richard III

Post by HELP ME TO FEEL »

The Rita - King Richard III - FOUL PREY

I didn't immediately warm to the very different style of noise that Sam of The Rita has been exploring in recent years. However, what I did immediately appreciate upon hearing the new approach (can we still call it new after this much time?) was its uniqueness. This record arrived today and I am surprised by how relaxing it is to listen to. The subdued and distorted sounds from the film, which can be heard intermittently underneath a succession of ripping noises, feels like listening to distant cars as they drive along a road late at night. With the more dominant sounds Sam has replicated the experience of sitting before a crackling fire.

I like the tasteful way in which the recording becomes a little busier in its latter stages. I also enjoy thinking about the subtle differences between this record and his other statements submitted in this style. Compared side by side there's enough progression to keep things interesting.

In summation, like many great musicians Sam has discovered the sonic potential of intentionally placed moments of silence.

UK noise artist