COIL

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

COIL

Post by SS1535 »

Just yesterday my copy of the Zos Kia/Coil Transparent album came in the mail. I had been skimming various Coil releases as I waited for it to arrive, and I would like to learn more.

What are your favorite releases and tracks? Can anyone direct me towards particularly good interviews with members?

So far, I especially love the track "Slur" from Horse Rotorvator.

Of course I also love Pasolini---so it's very cool to see a band referencing him frequently.
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Re: COIL

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

I recently bought The Ape of Naples on vinyl after years of listening to it on MP3 and YouTube. Total operatic, circus progressive madness. Genius send off to the group, in earnest. Subsequent music from Coil has come out since then, but I view this as a weird "end" of sorts for the group.

I never hear anyone talk about Black Antlers. "Things We Never Had" is one of the craziest tracks ever. Saw this at a record store here for like $250 or some shit, which is crazy. They should reissue this...and for cheap!

I also think its really funny that Coil is undeniably borderline steam punk, you know what I mean?
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Scatology was my first exposure ages ago and I still love it. Perhaps blasphemous, but I don't actually love Horse Rotorvator as a whole, though it has some absolutely undeniable tracks ("Ostia (The Death of Pasolini)", for one). Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1 and The Ape of Naples are often in rotation around here. There is a lot I still need to spend more time with.
SS1535 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:00 pm Of course I also love Pasolini---so it's very cool to see a band referencing him frequently.
I would recommend the film Muscle by Hisayasu Satô if you haven't seen it. Late 80s pink film involving hard-bodied sadomasochistic gay men working for a muscle magazine that is basically one giant homage to Pasolini and features Coil on the soundtrack (predominantly "The First Five Minutes After Death", but also "Ostia" in a key moment).
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

Coil is maybe my favourite band of all time. Almost. Their entire discography is pretty fantastic, I truly feel I love all of it, with like two exceptions (ANS and Unreleased Themes For Hellraiser). A band that feels like an endless portal to another world.

Scatology was also the first ever album I heard by them, and it's still one of my favourites. At the Heart of It All is one of the greatest pieces of music I've ever heard. But I think, especially over time, I have more of a preference for their later material—Musick to Play in the Dark, The Remote Viewer, Black Antlers, The Ape of Naples, it's all so so good. All deeply important music to me that's gotten me through a lot of hard periods of my life. A feeling I frequently get when I listen to them, especially their later material, is like I'm tapping into some sort of ancient human memory.

For their more industrial stuff, one of my favourites has got to be How To Destroy Angels (Remixes and Rerecordings), so fucking dark and metallic sounding. I also really love the track Die Wölfe Kommen Zurück off the Black Light District album. Obsessed with that mechanical sound loop, which has influenced my own music pretty strongly. They were on a whole different level from everyone else in experimental, electronic, and industrial music in my opinion.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:17 am I would recommend the film Muscle by Hisayasu Satô if you haven't seen it. Late 80s pink film involving hard-bodied sadomasochistic gay men working for a muscle magazine that is basically one giant homage to Pasolini and features Coil on the soundtrack (predominantly "The First Five Minutes After Death", but also "Ostia" in a key moment).
While not gay myself, I have somehow found myself on a track where this sort of movie sounds exactly like the kind of think I am looking for at the moment. haha Now just to find it streaming somewhere. It sounds like something that Mishima would have loved too, had he been alive.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE COIL, oh do i. I do.

Super bummed i didnt get to see them. I got tix to the Throbbing Gristle reunion just to see Coil but that whole shoe went sideways, cancelled. 🥺
eventually TG played a reunion shoe (duh) but w/o Coil opening - tho I did see John Balance standing right behind us for a few minutes jamming out before he pushed his way thru the crowd to the front, got on stage and gave Sleazy a kiss and disappeared backstage….
I enjoy all periods of Coil tho the mid to later parts & pieces really are just beyond FANTASTIC!!!! I’ve been enjoying the couple different versions of Backwards out there, cld use some more different versions…ha
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Snow Falls Into Military Temples from the live album “… And The Ambulance Died In His Arms” is the bees-knees! One of my favorite tracks by them
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

Happiness, forever wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:44 pm LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE COIL, oh do i. I do.

Super bummed i didnt get to see them. I got tix to the Throbbing Gristle reunion just to see Coil but that whole shoe went sideways, cancelled. 🥺
eventually TG played a reunion shoe (duh) but w/o Coil opening - tho I did see John Balance standing right behind us for a few minutes jamming out before he pushed his way thru the crowd to the front, got on stage and gave Sleazy a kiss and disappeared backstage….
I enjoy all periods of Coil tho the mid to later parts & pieces really are just beyond FANTASTIC!!!! I’ve been enjoying the couple different versions of Backwards out there, cld use some more different versions…ha
Which version of Backwards do you prefer, the Danny Hyde 2015 one, or The New Backwards?
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Of course the answer is: The Demo version!!! 🤗

https://youtu.be/hgUd23Ns6KY?si=xe4jiwaDeJn1F1tt

Seriously tho, i like Both. Coil is kinda in that realm where everything they do I can agree with, mostly. I wld take a hundred different versions of everything they done.

There was plans for a while there for the series of Threshold Archives CDs with everything Coil put forth: demos, remixes, early early variations. i had the first 8 but the lure of funds for synths made me sell em. I didnt realize some more came out in 2019
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

Happiness, forever wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:51 pm Of course the answer is: The Demo version!!! 🤗

Seriously tho, i like Both. Coil is kinda in that realm where everything they do I can agree with, mostly. I wld take a hundred different versions of everything they done.

There was plans for a while there for the series of Threshold Archives CDs with everything Coil put forth: demos, remixes, early early variations. i had the first 8 but the lure of funds for synths made me sell em. I didnt realize some more came out in 2019
I agree! I pretty much like everything they do as well. I've mostly left alone anything Coil released post-Sleazy's death, with a couple exceptions. There's just so much, and it feels weird to me to have things released without the input of Balance or Christopherson.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Natalia wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:00 pm
Happiness, forever wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:51 pm Of course the answer is: The Demo version!!! 🤗

I agree! I pretty much like everything they do as well. I've mostly left alone anything Coil released post-Sleazy's death, with a couple exceptions. There's just so much, and it feels weird to me to have things released without the input of Balance or Christopherson.
Those Threshold Archives CDs are really cool, very worth yr time if y’r a Coil fan past casual. They can be had thru downloads via the interwebs, which I wld very recommend. I wld give em to you myself but I dont have access to my computer for at least another month (if you wanna wait, i can and will).

I’m pretty sure it is the fella behind Brainwashed.com that is behind the Threshold Archives, and he/they stated that EVERYTHING post Balance&Sleazy deaths are bootlegs. I wldn’t totally disagree.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

“Threshold Archives began as a project by Peter Christopherson in 2006.
At the time, Peter was involved in many projects that consumed much of his time including Soisong, a re-launched Throbbing Gristle, and The Threshold HouseBoys Choir, in addition to assembling the final Coil album, The New Backwards, and the massive Colour Sound Oblivion box.
With the passage of time, intercontinental moves, and record label bankruptcies, many master recordings and artworks were lost, damaged, or degrading.
At the time of his passing in 2010, Peter had only begun to assemble artwork for Threshold Archives releases, but no project was completed. The music was scattered across numerous sources, including DATs, cassettes, Betamax masters, reels, and old computer hard disks with long-outdated and incompatible operating systems. Peter didn’t have time to sort through and identify it all, so he sought help. Discussions and agreements were reached and the blueprints of Threshold Archives were made.
Through the efforts of former Coil members, friends, and family, these collections are finally materializing. The quality of these recordings varies greatly, as does the artwork that was available. Additionally, many previously unreleased songs have no titles available.

Coil was Geff (John Balance) and Peter (Sleazy), who presented Coil as a complete experience; song choices, mix, order, cover artwork, layout, live visuals, costumes, guests, etc.
Without Balance and Sleaz, there is no official Coil release nor will there ever be again.
Nothing that bears the word “Coil” is authorized, official, or sanctioned by Coil, as Coil has ceased to exist.

[Original Press Release, October 2015]”
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

Happiness, forever wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:08 pm Those Threshold Archives CDs are really cool, very worth yr time if y’r a Coil fan past casual. They can be had thru downloads via the interwebs, which I wld very recommend. I wld give em to you myself but I dont have access to my computer for at least another month (if you wanna wait, i can and will).

I’m pretty sure it is the fella behind Brainwashed.com that is behind the Threshold Archives, and he/they stated that EVERYTHING post Balance&Sleazy deaths are bootlegs. I wldn’t totally disagree.
No worries, but thank you! I can find them, I have my ways :)
Happiness, forever wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:14 pm “Threshold Archives began as a project by Peter Christopherson in 2006.
At the time, Peter was involved in many projects that consumed much of his time including Soisong, a re-launched Throbbing Gristle, and The Threshold HouseBoys Choir, in addition to assembling the final Coil album, The New Backwards, and the massive Colour Sound Oblivion box.
With the passage of time, intercontinental moves, and record label bankruptcies, many master recordings and artworks were lost, damaged, or degrading.
At the time of his passing in 2010, Peter had only begun to assemble artwork for Threshold Archives releases, but no project was completed. The music was scattered across numerous sources, including DATs, cassettes, Betamax masters, reels, and old computer hard disks with long-outdated and incompatible operating systems. Peter didn’t have time to sort through and identify it all, so he sought help. Discussions and agreements were reached and the blueprints of Threshold Archives were made.
Through the efforts of former Coil members, friends, and family, these collections are finally materializing. The quality of these recordings varies greatly, as does the artwork that was available. Additionally, many previously unreleased songs have no titles available.

Coil was Geff (John Balance) and Peter (Sleazy), who presented Coil as a complete experience; song choices, mix, order, cover artwork, layout, live visuals, costumes, guests, etc.
Without Balance and Sleaz, there is no official Coil release nor will there ever be again.
Nothing that bears the word “Coil” is authorized, official, or sanctioned by Coil, as Coil has ceased to exist.

[Original Press Release, October 2015]”
Yeah, I pretty much agree with this sentiment. I've felt it really weird and inappropriate how people have released Coil material, it feels like a serious disrespect to the sanctity of the artists intent. I understand it gets complicated, for example Danny Hyde worked on a lot of this material, I think it makes sense that he has a right to share his own work, especially in regard to the Backwards 2015 record. Then there's the whole insane discussion around reissues, having two different groups reissue Love's Secret Domain at the same time for example. It gets so messy.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

https://modular-station.com/modulisme/session/91/

Recent interview with UnicaZürn where Stephen Thrower mentions how "At the Heart of It All" was recorded in one improvised take.
Coil was an eight-year thrill ride, and a musical education for me. Sadly it went off the rails in 1992-93. The usual story – excessive drug use and that old chestnut, ‘musical differences’.

It was always a pleasure to go into the studio with Peter and John. We recorded those early albums (Scatology, Horse Rotorvator, Love’s Secret Domain) in the old-fashioned way, booking week-long sessions in expensive recording studios. I’d been in smaller studios many times before with my first group Possession, but Coil could afford quite ‘fancy’ places thanks to Peter’s income as a pop video director. I have a very clear memory of my first session with them. We laid down “At the Heart of It All” in one take – me on clarinet and delay, Peter on piano, and John Balance on electric piano – and we were all delighted with the result. Unlike the other pieces on the first album, there were no sounds or samples arranged beforehand: the whole piece was improvised in a single take, so the mood and the pace and musicality of it emerged fully formed in the time it took to play it. Later, at the final mix stage, Peter overdubbed a track of sampled choral voices and Jim Thirlwell (producer) added a second piano track. It was the success of that first recording session that sealed my involvement with Coil, so I have very fond memories of it.

In Cyclobe (comprising me and my partner Ossian Brown), we tended to work from our home studio, as most people were doing by the 2000s, but I was able to draw on the experience I’d picked up from watching Peter in the studio. In the late 1990s, Peter, John and I put our old differences aside and we remained friends until their deaths. In their later years my partner Ossian started working on Coil’s live shows and the last few Coil albums, so we were close until the end. I always held their opinion in very high regard. They were very supportive of the work we did in Cyclobe, which meant a lot to us. Ossian and I released five albums as Cyclobe, which reached a peak I think with “Wounded Galaxies Tap at the Window”, but the gestation time of the albums grew and grew as time went on. We’ve rested the project these past few years and I now concentrate exclusively on UnicaZürn.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:43 am Cyclobe, which reached a peak I think with “Wounded Galaxies Tap at the Window”
This person is correct.
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

What is the deal with reissues on, say, Dais Records?

The vinyl pressing for "Music to Play in the Dark Vol. 1" is horrible quality, fyi. My copy skips so regularly. I remember when they announced this, they had like 782839827481931 color variations so I bet they just flooded the plant with an order and the plant pushed out some trash. Glad I got a copy though, such an amazing album.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

ChicagoAnimal wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:14 pm What is the deal with reissues on, say, Dais Records?

The vinyl pressing for "Music to Play in the Dark Vol. 1" is horrible quality, fyi. My copy skips so regularly. I remember when they announced this, they had like 782839827481931 color variations so I bet they just flooded the plant with an order and the plant pushed out some trash. Glad I got a copy though, such an amazing album.
Are their other releases also bad quality? I have been eyeing those Burroughs' cds for a while.
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:43 am https://modular-station.com/modulisme/session/91/

Recent interview with UnicaZürn where Stephen Thrower mentions how "At the Heart of It All" was recorded in one improvised take.
-snip-
This is so cool. I remember reading something about this in England's Hidden Reverse. I still go back to this song years later. Shakes you to the core.
Happiness, forever wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:05 pm
Such a good interview!
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

SS1535 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:36 pm
ChicagoAnimal wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:14 pm What is the deal with reissues on, say, Dais Records?

Are their other releases also bad quality? I have been eyeing those Burroughs' cds for a while.
Honestly, I am only interested in Coil related stuff they have released and don't own anything else physical they've done for them (just downloaded them). The rest of the Dais label is unbelievably boring. Kind of frustrating to see Coil mashed up against some shitty EBM band....
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

ChicagoAnimal wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:06 pm

Honestly, I am only interested in Coil related stuff they have released and don't own anything else physical they've done for them (just downloaded them). The rest of the Dais label is unbelievably boring. Kind of frustrating to see Coil mashed up against some shitty EBM band....
It certainly seemed like an ecclectic mix of some classic industrial/related stuff with a variety of other styles and genres on that lable, for sure.

I saw some of the CD editions of some of their albums on Dias at a record store today. I thought about picking one up, but then your post came into my mind---and saved me money!
APPLE
Contact Mic

Post by APPLE »

Coil & Gee Vaucher 'Disobedients' exhibition opens in Brighton on September 22nd - https://nohawkers.com/upcoming-exhibitions

'Scatology, 'Horse Rotorvator' and 'Love's Secret Domain' are a kind of perfect trilogy in my mind, but all eras of the band are good.

I have a (black) problem free copy on Dais with no skips. I also have the Deviation Social reissues on Dais with no problems there either.
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

SS1535 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:58 pm

It certainly seemed like an ecclectic mix of some classic industrial/related stuff with a variety of other styles and genres on that lable, for sure.

I saw some of the CD editions of some of their albums on Dias at a record store today. I thought about picking one up, but then your post came into my mind---and saved me money!
The reference was for a vinyl edition, not a CD.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

ChicagoAnimal wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:53 pm

But is it only a problem with the vinyl, then? Just bad pressings, or do all their releases sound poor?
Brian O'Blivion
Hard Panning

Post by Brian O'Blivion »

SS1535 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:57 pm
ChicagoAnimal wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:53 pm

But is it only a problem with the vinyl, then? Just bad pressings, or do all their releases sound poor?
Just because one person owns a record that skips does not mean a label's entire output sounds bad.