noise guitarists

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
---O---
Contact Mic

Re: noise guitarists

Post by ---O--- »

SS1535 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:56 pm Was your guitar itself modified at all in addition? Or was it more about changing the placement of the guitar in relation to speakers/etc.?
modified in a way that it was not in tune (at least in a traditional sense). I used to add some tools under the strings, sticks, metal, whatever what i could find nearby. very amateuric but adventurous experimental style (without much knowledge how to make it better). playing style also often not so nice for the guitar itself. playing with fingers, but also with combs, books/cd's, boiler cover, tools, etc.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

---O--- wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:02 pm
SS1535 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:56 pm Was your guitar itself modified at all in addition? Or was it more about changing the placement of the guitar in relation to speakers/etc.?
modified in a way that it was not in tune (at least in a traditional sense). I used to add some tools under the strings, sticks, metal, whatever what i could find nearby. very amateuric but adventurous experimental style (without much knowledge how to make it better). playing style also often not so nice for the guitar itself. playing with fingers, but also with combs, books/cd's, boiler cover, tools, etc.
That's cool. Did you ever perform live with this setup?
stactor
C20

Post by stactor »

---O--- wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:12 pm uhmm.... might be ok if I leave my guitar noise album link here. it's called "guitar noise overdose"

https://magmatones.bandcamp.com/album/u ... se-verd-se

recorded already in 2000, but i am still satisfied for the sound

Thanks for posting this! Listening now and enjoying it. If anyone else has links to guitar noise they have made, please feel free to post them here.

Adding your name to my "master list", Jani.

Cheers!
stactor
C20

Post by stactor »

Ichiro Agata from Melt Banana has not been mentioned yet.
stactor
C20

Post by stactor »

also:

Larry Polansky
Noël Akchoté
Daniel Heikalo
Jeff Gburek
Doug Theriault
Marco Oppedisano
Richard Pinhas
Scott Fields
Abdul Moimême
Sergio Sorrentino
David Beardsley
Bill Vencil
Dan Phelps

Not all of these are "noise guitarists" and some may not even be "experimental guitarists". It gets tricky when you're talking about guitarists who occasionally throw in some extended technique or preparations...should they go on the list or not? I'm thinking not.
---O---
Contact Mic

Post by ---O--- »

SS1535 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:28 am Did you ever perform live with this setup?
I wish I were, but I was too shy/scared/nervous to perform live alone in front of people :/ But I was often dreaming to play live, had the set going on in my mind, but never actually did any step to make it happen in reality. Still dreaming to play live an improvised guitar noise blast one day (but probably not with that complex method which was on those recordings)
---O---
Contact Mic

Post by ---O--- »

stactor wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:48 am
Thanks for posting this! Listening now and enjoying it. If anyone else has links to guitar noise they have made, please feel free to post them here.
Adding your name to my "master list", Jani.
thank you! :O
---O---
Contact Mic

Post by ---O--- »

BRUCE RUSSELL !

I didn't see anyone saying that yet, but he is definitely a great one on guitar noise.
Here he plays with cigar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_nKWuoKRDg
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

---O--- wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:04 pm
SS1535 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:28 am Did you ever perform live with this setup?
I wish I were, but I was too shy/scared/nervous to perform live alone in front of people :/ But I was often dreaming to play live, had the set going on in my mind, but never actually did any step to make it happen in reality. Still dreaming to play live an improvised guitar noise blast one day (but probably not with that complex method which was on those recordings)
You are in Finland, right? It sounds like there will be no shortage of opportunities! I think getting a good sound (which you have) is already half the battle.
---O---
Contact Mic

Post by ---O--- »

SS1535 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:42 pm You are in Finland, right? It sounds like there will be no shortage of opportunities! I think getting a good sound (which you have) is already half the battle.

Yes, in Finland ... let's see maybe one day playing on stage. Planets need to be in right places for that. Many aspects need to be connected.
Good sound may be a bit 50/50, specially in live situation (unexpected technical & psychological surprises)