Mysterious/Anonymous Projects

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Mysterious/Anonymous Projects

Post by k.p.g »

Love a certain project, but don't know who the fuck is behind it? Are you totally enamored by some super lowkey weirdo who makes ripping noise? Then this thread is for you!

As with any medium of art, we tend to love the noise that receives the most exposure and/or has a face to put to the name. But I want to give some love to the artists who either fly so under the radar as people, or just have remained totally anonymous. So if you have a project that fits that criteria, post it here.

I will start: Darksmith is an amazing project that I think has more exposure than other artists that might be mentioned in this thread. But trying to dig into any sort of information on "Tom Darksmith" usually yields next to no results. I think such an element adds to how thrilling both the sonic & visual art behind the project can be to myself as a listener.
Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Re: Mysterious/Anonymous Projects

Post by adult human »

Weird, I don't tend to think of Darksmith in those terms but maybe that's because I've seen him live and sometimes see photos of him etc. I think in general though you're not going to find a tonne of info about people doing low key noise and/or abstract music unless they put it out there themselves. And that doesn't really seem especially relevant to the project most of the time.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

Totally enamored might be a stretch, but long term big fan of Zone Nord and The New Blockaders. Hints here and there as to who they are, but I don't think they've ever been completely outed? Haven't dug much myself, not sure I want to know too much. The secrecy has definitely served both projects.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Capers wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:50 pm Totally enamored might be a stretch, but long term big fan of Zone Nord and The New Blockaders. Hints here and there as to who they are, but I don't think they've ever been completely outed? Haven't dug much myself, not sure I want to know too much. The secrecy has definitely served both projects.
Had Zone Nord accidentally revealed in conversation by someone who I don't think even knew it was meant to be a secret. Is it?! or just circumstance over time? Personally not a strand of anonymity I was ever too bothered with, just great music (including who it REALLY is, if rumour is true!)

TNB is a weird one. I definitely care about that and have spent time in my life trying to work it out, fishing for stories and so on. Even people who have played in/as TNB all claim not to have met the responsible party. At this point it's either just some geezer or part of TNB initiation is swearing a blood oath to never reveal the truth, even to your mates. It probably wouldn't mean a thing for that 'truth' to ever be revealed, mind you. Not now anyway.
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

I’m a big fan of Publication Ban. The tape “Coerced Migration” is one of my favourites. There’s essentially no information out there about who might be behind it, etc. so I imagine it qualifies?
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

adult human wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:09 pm Weird, I don't tend to think of Darksmith in those terms but maybe that's because I've seen him live and sometimes see photos of him etc. I think in general though you're not going to find a tonne of info about people doing low key noise and/or abstract music unless they put it out there themselves. And that doesn't really seem especially relevant to the project most of the time.
I just read yesterday that the main guy behind TNB doesn't even perform with them, strictly speaking? Supposedly he conducts the performers from the sidelines.
December Man
C20

Post by December Man »

Tongue Knax/Mordant Karma/etc. from the Lust Vessel camp. Always assumed it is just one person behind the flagship projects. Amazing stuff.
Ineffable Slime
Hard Panning

Post by Ineffable Slime »

It is cool that Geography of Hell have maintained anonymity.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Perhaps not as mysterious as could possibly be, but I really appreciate the anonymous aspect of so many IOPS releases. I only own the Vile Vulgar and Red Light tapes (as well as some zines), but the approach is very interesting to me.
PetiteSoles
Hard Panning

Post by PetiteSoles »

Love it. Especially when it fits into the idea of the project like Tearoom Trade. I've been very vocal in the past about wishing there was more from that project.
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

Oenophile!
Finnish project, I'm on a detective mission at the moment to find about anything about this project. About only info at the moment is that "busy drinking, cheers!"
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

Is Last Few Days still a mystery? I want it to be. Their split with Laibach is one of my all time favorites
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

D345 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:45 am Oenophile!
Finnish project, I'm on a detective mission at the moment to find about anything about this project. About only info at the moment is that "busy drinking, cheers!"
This is the one with the corks from wine bottles glued on the tapes? Pretty random yeah, but interesting.
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

Atrophist wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:40 am
D345 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:45 am Oenophile!
This is the one with the corks from wine bottles glued on the tapes? Pretty random yeah, but interesting.
yeah!

puritanwaste
Hard Panning

Post by puritanwaste »

Capers wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:50 pm Totally enamored might be a stretch, but long term big fan of Zone Nord and The New Blockaders. Hints here and there as to who they are, but I don't think they've ever been completely outed? Haven't dug much myself, not sure I want to know too much. The secrecy has definitely served both projects.
Do you have a copy of the As Loud As Possible zine? Chris Sienko managed to unearth the Zone Nord guy and there's a pretty incredible, in depth interview with him (and a photo).
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

puritanwaste wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:09 am
Do you have a copy of the As Loud As Possible zine? Chris Sienko managed to unearth the Zone Nord guy and there's a pretty incredible, in depth interview with him (and a photo).
Yeah, I have it. The photo is from the cover of the ZN lp, and it's (allegedly) a friend of the artist.
It's a pretty good interview. I don't find it to be very in depth though, but then I don't think there was much more to be said about the recordings either.
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

D345 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:47 am Is Last Few Days still a mystery? I want it to be. Their split with Laibach is one of my all time favorites
Great band. Looks like you can find a bunch of info about the members on Discogs.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Old Captain put out that Aux Armes - Radikal full length this year. Politically progressive power electronics. It's good.

That's all I've got right now.