Doom/Sludge/Drone/Stoner/etc

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
MaldororEstMort
C20

Re: Doom/Sludge/Drone/Stoner/etc

Post by MaldororEstMort »

junkyardshaman wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:22 am I love sludge but sometimes I wish the "southern blues warmth" wouldn't be such a go-to-standard as it is, I'd like it to be bleaker and with less that sort of...fun stuff.
I can tell you as a person born, raised, and still living in the American South, don't assume it's not bleak here because it very much is! Also, since you said you listen to the blues then you should already know that it was born from a people who were enslaved for hundreds upon hundreds of years. There is nothing fun about this part of the country.

NOLA Sludge > other sludge
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

I love the groove of EHG when they get kickin’ but I agree that the dissonance of a band like Khanate is more effective in really capturing that bleak feeling.

Burning Witch really hit that mix perfectly. Some sick riffs, a few sick grooves but overall just total hopelessness.

Seeing Khanate circa 2006 life in a scuzz bar was a true life highlight.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

holy ghost wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:43 pm I love the groove of EHG when they get kickin’
EHG gets a pass on account of their general downer mood. With other bands I feel like it just turns into party music.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

MaldororEstMort wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:42 pm
junkyardshaman wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:22 am I love sludge but sometimes I wish the "southern blues warmth" wouldn't be such a go-to-standard as it is, I'd like it to be bleaker and with less that sort of...fun stuff.
I can tell you as a person born, raised, and still living in the American South, don't assume it's not bleak here because it very much is! Also, since you said you listen to the blues then you should already know that it was born from a people who were enslaved for hundreds upon hundreds of years. There is nothing fun about this part of the country.

NOLA Sludge > other sludge
Oh yeah, no, that was not my intention, I was only speaking of the blues scale as such, as playing it IS fun, it is the sort of redemptionous thing to lift one up from the ordeal and suffering of their predicament.
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:55 pm
junkyardshaman wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:22 am I love sludge but sometimes I wish the "southern blues warmth" wouldn't be such a go-to-standard as it is, I'd like it to be bleaker
That's definitely the biggest turnoff for me, and when bands don't enter that realm they can get me on board. The genre excels when it's just pure filth.
same
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

[quote=junkyardshaman post_id=2597 time=1645335210 user_id=325]
[quote="Scream & Writhe" post_id=2559 time=1645246556 user_id=2]
[quote=junkyardshaman post_id=2527 time=1645190549 user_id=325]
I love sludge but sometimes I wish the "southern blues warmth" wouldn't be such a go-to-standard as it is, I'd like it to be bleaker
[/quote]

That's definitely the biggest turnoff for me, and when bands[i] don't [/i]enter that realm they can get me on board. The genre excels when it's just pure filth.
[/quote]
same
[/quote]

For sure. Keep deedly weedly riffs out of sludge.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Noothgrush never seem to get mentioned in these sorts of discussions (anymore) but they absolutely did not rock in the bluesy “rawk” style but still somehow kept a groove? Man they were great.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Did anyone ever listen to TREES who were or are on Crucial Blast? I found them to hit the nail on the head. Got tipped off about them from someone who saw them live and said they were "A Very You Band" to me haha.
hq666
Contact Mic

Post by hq666 »

holy ghost wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:54 pm Noothgrush never seem to get mentioned in these sorts of discussions (anymore) but they absolutely did not rock in the bluesy “rawk” style but still somehow kept a groove? Man they were great.
They were so brutal. Like being beat with a wet feed bag.
IG: goatqveen666
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Been jamming a lot of 90’s stuff after re-reading this thread - Noothgrush, Corrupted, Wellington (totally great), Toadliquor, Molehill, Seven Foot Spleen…

Primitive Man might be one of the loudest bands I ever did see, I think o avoided them initially because I didn’t think Relapse could do anything bleak these days, but I did a 180 - great band.

Holy Money (obv a little more Swans influenced) was great. Really dug that LP.

I remember Buried at Sea were really tight. I’m going to fish those CDs out of my basement today.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

holy ghost wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:01 am Been jamming a lot of 90’s stuff after re-reading this thread - Noothgrush, Corrupted, Wellington (totally great), Toadliquor, Molehill, Seven Foot Spleen…

Primitive Man might be one of the loudest bands I ever did see, I think o avoided them initially because I didn’t think Relapse could do anything bleak these days, but I did a 180 - great band.

Holy Money (obv a little more Swans influenced) was great. Really dug that LP.

I remember Buried at Sea were really tight. I’m going to fish those CDs out of my basement today.
Saw Primitive Man in my hometown some years ago. They were really loud. Junkyard Shaman's grind band Cut To Fit was opening for them with Morbid Evil.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

holy ghost wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:54 pm Noothgrush never seem to get mentioned in these sorts of discussions (anymore) but they absolutely did not rock in the bluesy “rawk” style but still somehow kept a groove? Man they were great.
Saw em live with Dino from Dystopia on drums & vox. Pretty good gig, but not my favourite band. Dystopia was more my shit.

This is one of my favourites, too bad they never could quite manage anything even close to this album. Bluesy and obviously very 70s influenced, but not in that "generic blues riffs at half speed" way most bands did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjhQJ_ZJ7J0
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

holy ghost wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:01 am Holy Money (obv a little more Swans influenced) was great. Really dug that LP.
They're great. I always half forget they exist.

Saw Noothgrush in 2014 at the Rrröööaaarrr fest in Montreal. I don't remember it at all, but Blasphemy and Revenge (especially) were unreal on their respective nights.

Remembering now that I also saw them in Oakland circa 2013 opening for Benediction, Autopsy and Bolt Thrower.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Reverend Bizarre “Slice of Doom” pre-orders just dropped at Svart.

Not the most essential of their material for my money but I have no problem throwing down for anything RB related.

Was on a HUGE Noothgrush binge all week and now I’m back on the Electric Wizard - I think Time to Die is my current go to favourite.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Electric Wizard is all I need of this, and then only when inspiration strikes!
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

When I go down the Electric Wizard wormhole I inevitably turn to STRANGE BROUE from Quebec who do the Wizard Worship so well it’s delightful.

If anyone has the “Mystifying Oracle” LP and wants to trade let me know!
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

On a real early Earth kick lately - Extra-Capsular Extraction and Earth2 are so fucking good. I hear these and I instantly want to call some friends and rent a jam space and just drone out hard and absorb the power of the riff….
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

holy ghost wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:26 pm On a real early Earth kick lately - Extra-Capsular Extraction and Earth2 are so fucking good. I hear these and I instantly want to call some friends and rent a jam space and just drone out hard and absorb the power of the riff….
Oh hell yeah! Earth has been popping into my subconscious lately but havent found "the right mood" for it still. Maybe I'll give it a spin today and see what happens.
Couple years ago went for a total Earth-mania for some months. Didnt listen to pretty much anything else.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Out by of nowhere today I had a hankerin’ to listen to Burning Witch - been a while! I remember when that Towers LP on Slap-a-Ham dropped I couldn’t “handle” the clean vocals, it didn’t click until a few years later but wow damn man this band is the fuckin’ [chefs kiss] of doom.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Primitive Man dropped they have a new LP on Closed Casket coming out in May. Pretty stoked. They are a band so bleak (much like Dystopia) that I don’t listen to them on a constant rotation but I really appreciate it when I do.

They were one of the fucking loudest band I’ve ever heard. It was crazy when they played with Bell Witch. I snuck out during the last song and you could hear it clear as day on the street while I was waiting for the streetcar.

Haven’t really dug the last Bell Witch (even the one song LP was a little “much” but still good). Still really like the first two albums and always hopeful I’m gonna get blown away again.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

holy ghost wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:28 am Primitive Man dropped they have a new LP on Closed Casket coming out in May. Pretty stoked. They are a band so bleak (much like Dystopia) that I don’t listen to them on a constant rotation but I really appreciate it when I do.
Problem is that unlike Dystopia they're pretty samey.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Residual / RT wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:42 am
holy ghost wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:28 am Primitive Man dropped they have a new LP on Closed Casket coming out in May. Pretty stoked. They are a band so bleak (much like Dystopia) that I don’t listen to them on a constant rotation but I really appreciate it when I do.
Problem is that unlike Dystopia they're pretty samey.
Very true - I like them! But I doubt I could tell which tracks are from which records. I’ll still pick up the new album.

Dystopia holds up harder than any band ever.

Been jamming the Noothgrush side of the Noothgrush/Coffins split LP. The track Thoth is so fucking good, hits just perfect. I would give anything for this incarnation of Dystopia with Dino singing to do a full length.
drift
Thrashmaster

Post by drift »

Primitive Man
just listened to Cage Intimacy - I think form their new LP - and really couldn't make my mind up. wasn't sure if overuse of a tremolo effect (don't think it was a pedal) ruined it for me... I don't have a problem with inaccessible music, which is how it came off, but in this instance it felt unnecessarily distracting.
haven't been into doom since 2007 really. burning witch were a favourite of mine. used to play this album, also, a lot. not sure if it's really a classic, but it captured my mood at that time

crruuuussshhhh
turn it up!
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Might have “lost my fucking mind” and ordered the Reverend Bizarre “Heavier Than Life” 11 tape/3 patch/4 poster/metal pin/hardcore book/flag/signed certificate of authenticity from Albert Witchfinder, Earl of Void and Peter Vicar. I have all the music on multiple formats. I just want the book. I’ll never use the patches. Maybe the pin. I might frame a poster.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Went on a real Trouble bender this past week. The Skull, Psalm 9, S/T and Manic Frustration are so killer. I know I’ve heard Run to the Light but I can’t really remember it at all. Such fucking great car music when you can cruise around with the windows open and “At the End of My Daze” blasting.

Did the same with Candlemass as well, now I guess onto Saint Vitus?