Doom/Sludge/Drone/Stoner/etc

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Re: Doom/Sludge/Drone/Stoner/etc

Post by junkyardshaman »

Kenny wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:30 am Listened to a couple of early Floor eps the other day.
Can`t stand that melodic shit they went on to do, and I do love a good melody..

But those early eps were fantastic, especially the "Madonna" 7"
I first heard Floor on while going to a show with Taser, absolutely love it, but whatever I try to find online has been completely different from the thing we listened to in the car. I find some amusement in this.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

For couple years now Dark Buddha Rising has been one of my favorites when it comes to slow music. Especially their Mathreyata album.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

I love funeral doom and death-doom, but I've REALLY grown tired of so many bands trying to sound like dISEMBOWELMENT. I'd much rather hear one influenced by WINTER or Mournful Congregation...

Spend quite a bit of time listening to sludge, as it's the only thing that helps when I'm dealing with chronic digestive pain, but not a fan of EHG. They haven't written anything even remotely good in over a decade. I'd rather listen to one of the many bands playing the genre who are doing something interesting with it, like Negative Reaction (new album has these "broken solos" influenced by Randy Rhodes), Sea of Bones, Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean, etc. And while I'm not a fan of most of their material, Thou's song "Ode to Physical Pain" is one of my favorite songs. There are also bands incorporating funeral doom into sludge (Beneath Oblivion-RIP and Horsehunter-from Australia) or death metal into it (Primitive Man), which is awesome. I'm actually wearing a Primitive Man hoodie as I type this, and have Beneath Oblivion sweatpants laying on the floor, lol
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:22 am not a fan of EHG. They haven't written anything even remotely good in over a decade.
New Orleans is the new Vietnam is one of their best songs and released in 2012. But yeah, their full length albums after that are underwhelming. That said, the first 4 albums are the epitome of sludge and untouchable, really. Personally I think there's like five or six sludge bands really worth listening to, and the rest are mediocre genre music. Enjoyable, sure but nothing special really.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Residual / RT wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:28 am
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:22 am not a fan of EHG. They haven't written anything even remotely good in over a decade.
New Orleans is the new Vietnam is one of their best songs and released in 2012. But yeah, their full length albums after that are underwhelming. That said, the first 4 albums are the epitome of sludge and untouchable, really. Personally I think there's like five or six sludge bands really worth listening to, and the rest are mediocre genre music. Enjoyable, sure but nothing special really.
Ah, I thought that came out earlier. I amend my statement.

Btw there are a lot of newer sludge bands more than worth your time. But definitely not Thou, with the exception of that one song. Most good bands playing sludge now are pretty under the radar, because "stoner-metal" and mediocre doom have lost most people's interest. If you're a major indie metal label, why would you invest in that?
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:33 am Btw there are a lot of newer sludge bands more than worth your time. But definitely not Thou, with the exception of that one song. Most good bands playing sludge now are pretty under the radar, because "stoner-metal" and mediocre doom have lost most people's interest. If you're a major indie metal label, why would you invest in that?
I've heard a bunch, it's just more of the same really. And there's a distinct lack of bands playing a faster, more hardcore / punk style sludge that I like the best (Buzzoven, early 16 etc.). Thankfully noise rock bands seem to be embracing heavier riffs, so there's cool sludgey stuff coming from that style.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Taser has been around for few years but at least for me they are one of the best sludge bands around currently. Filthcrawl is easily one of the best album that came out laat year.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

IMO EHG sorta plateau'd at Confederacy... which I think some will argue with. They played recently in town and I just didn't feel the need to see them. I think they're coming again with someone like Clutch, so defintely won't be seeing them again either...
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

33033 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:49 pm
IMO EHG sorta plateau'd at Confederacy... which I think some will argue with. They played recently in town and I just didn't feel the need to see them. I think they're coming again with someone like Clutch, so defintely won't be seeing them again either...
They've had weird tours lately. Now with Clutch and sometime ago they were opening for Black Label Society with Corrosion Of Conformity.

I liked the S/T album they did even though it was bit too clean still but the latest one...The idea is there but thats about it. Nothing to grap on, way too clean and nice. Still would go see them live
Knifedoutofexistence
C20

Post by Knifedoutofexistence »

In my late teens, sludge made up a good chunk of my listening. Back just before I left my home town it seemed that Doom shows were pretty much all that was happening in terms of heavy music shows, and six band doom bills were not the one. Became a bit disillusioned after having seen a hundred Conan clones, that kind of doom where big fancy amps seem to be the only thing people need to make people go wild.

But on a more positive note - how good are Iron Monkey?! My love for that band has never waned. Riffs for days and some of the most unhinged vocals this side of Siege.

In terms of current bands, Moloch are the sludge band that nails it for me. They’re definitely a punk band playing slow and heavy rather than being a metal band. Play hideously loud for 20 minutes, broken up with the nastiest bass feedback, and they’re done. The fact all four of them are some of the nicest people I’ve met in DIY music helps too.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Iron Monkey rules!
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Namahs wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:06 pmThey've had weird tours lately. Now with Clutch and sometime ago they were opening for Black Label Society with Corrosion Of Conformity.
Saw them with COC a few years back. Haven’t found a lot of enjoyment in their last few releases but I absolutely love everything up to and including Confederacy of Ruined Lives which I think is just as good as their first few albums.

I found the crowd at the show a little bro-y (“yeah hahaha Mike woooooooo bro you’re on heroin hahahahah”) but they were fucking great. COC rolled up with the dad rock and I shouted “PLAY MAD WORLD” and then they didn’t and I went and drank in the parking lot.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

holy ghost wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:02 pm
Namahs wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:06 pmThey've had weird tours lately. Now with Clutch and sometime ago they were opening for Black Label Society with Corrosion Of Conformity.
Saw them with COC a few years back. Haven’t found a lot of enjoyment in their last few releases but I absolutely love everything up to and including Confederacy of Ruined Lives which I think is just as good as their first few albums.

I found the crowd at the show a little bro-y (“yeah hahaha Mike woooooooo bro you’re on heroin hahahahah”) but they were fucking great. COC rolled up with the dad rock and I shouted “PLAY MAD WORLD” and then they didn’t and I went and drank in the parking lot.
Confederacy Of Ruined Lives is a total kickass album. It has no shame compared to the earlier albums
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

Yeah, confederacy... rules. Sludge honestly needs a reboot, kick out all the metalheads and bring back hardcore kids with a black sabbath and throbbing gristle fixation.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Residual / RT wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:49 pm Yeah, confederacy... rules. Sludge honestly needs a reboot, kick out all the metalheads and bring back hardcore kids with a black sabbath and throbbing gristle fixation.
I was just thinking today that HAGGATHA might be one of the most overlooked bands in this genre. Is it because they’re Canadian? In particular V is SO GOOD and fucking bleak as fuck.

I bought the LP and only played it once but I remember RESENT were very good. I need to replay that one.
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

Kenny wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:30 am Listened to a couple of early Floor eps the other day.
Can`t stand that melodic shit they went on to do, and I do love a good melody..

But those early eps were fantastic, especially the "Madonna" 7"
I LOVE Floor, both the early stuff and the melodic stuff. I think "Bombs To Abaddon" and "Scimitar" are my favourite songs by them.

I remember seeing Torche live the first time they came to Europe (with Baroness I think, of whom I have no recollection at all) and they played a few Floor songs at the end of their gig. People went nuts.

I felt like I was imploding and that my bowels were moving through my belly whenever they hit that totally downtuned lower string that almost sound like a percussion. It was insane.
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

"Slugthrower" is my favorite Floor EP. And song.
hq666
Contact Mic

Post by hq666 »

Lots of great groups mentioned already. Was neat seeing Usko mentioned, they're great!

Feel as though Bloody Panda deserves a bit of a dedication. A band that seemingly (to me) never received the attention they deserved. Saw them open for Kayo Dot years ago and was gutted by their performance. Grim, focused, stark, sustained. Possessed in all the right ways. Their final album Summon came out in 2007 and gets a fair play still in my rotation. Not the heaviest band ever though that's alright, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCiKDb2p2oE

Saw Disrotted mentioned already and wanted to share a split we were fortunate enough to do with them some years back. They've got that glacial game down.

https://breatheplastic.bandcamp.com/alb ... -irn-split

Khanate is likely my go to when an intimate rock bottom is needed. The raw tension they created was unforgiving and I still hear nuances of malformed emotion unfolding that I hadn't heard before. Truly visceral.
Last edited by hq666 on Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IG: goatqveen666
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

hq666 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:31 pm Khanate is likely my go to when an intimate rock bottom is needed. The raw tension they created was unforgiving and I still hear nuances of malformed emotion unfolding that I hadn't heard before. Truly visceral.
What a band. Just so bleak.
hq666
Contact Mic

Post by hq666 »

33033 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:35 pm
hq666 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:31 pm Khanate is likely my go to when an intimate rock bottom is needed. The raw tension they created was unforgiving and I still hear nuances of malformed emotion unfolding that I hadn't heard before. Truly visceral.
The sounds of having not supposed to exist.
IG: goatqveen666
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

e:
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

hq666 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:40 pm
33033 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:35 pm
The sounds of having not supposed to exist.
Wow, you just nailed it with that description.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

Now spinning Zoloft Smile by 16. I miss this kind of sludge, I've always loved like Grief, Toadliquor and Corrupted but many of the super slow doomy sludge bands leave me feeling bored. Give me faster, harder sludge with hardcore influences. Buzzoven, 16, Cavity, Brainoil etc.

Eye Flys has been releasing great stuff in this vein, new album coming out this year I think.

https://youtu.be/FxiWfaAlSEo
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

I love sludge but sometimes I wish the "southern blues warmth" wouldn't be such a go-to-standard as it is, I'd like it to be bleaker and with less that sort of...fun stuff. I love blues too and especially Lightnin' Hopkins and John Lee Hooker and Howlin' Wolf who have been a huge influence earlier on ( I used to listen to Howlin' Wolf all day while doing my once a month welfare run from office to office), but with sludge I'd want it to be (in lack of a better term pardon my Finnish) kunnon lanausta saatana.. :D
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

junkyardshaman wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:22 am I love sludge but sometimes I wish the "southern blues warmth" wouldn't be such a go-to-standard as it is, I'd like it to be bleaker
That's definitely the biggest turnoff for me, and when bands don't enter that realm they can get me on board. The genre excels when it's just pure filth.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics