Introduce yourself

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
prolapsedlielack
Contact Mic

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by prolapsedlielack »

moth1334 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:12 pm hi there. my name is moth. I live in Georgia (the state, not the country). i am trying to get back into making sound again after a long hiatus. my "main" project is Nyctophilia, but I have several others that i will put in my signature eventually. looking forward to participating.
welcome to the board! nice 1334 in your name. rozz is a huge inspiration to me. love what i've heard of your project too!
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Rozz crew comin' thru.

*Cranks Every King a Bastard Son from the ghettoblaster hoisted on my shoulder*
moth1334
Contact Mic

Post by moth1334 »

prolapsedlielack wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:38 am
moth1334 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:12 pm hi there. my name is moth. I live in Georgia (the state, not the country). i am trying to get back into making sound again after a long hiatus. my "main" project is Nyctophilia, but I have several others that i will put in my signature eventually. looking forward to participating.
welcome to the board! nice 1334 in your name. rozz is a huge inspiration to me. love what i've heard of your project too!
thats awesome!
He is huge inspiration to me too. premature ejaculation is what got me into abstract music, Assertive Discipline was the first one i heard, and i started making music very soon after.
and thank you, hopefully i will be making more soon. gotta save up for a pc.
moth1334
Contact Mic

Post by moth1334 »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:53 am Rozz crew comin' thru.

*Cranks Every King a Bastard Son from the ghettoblaster hoisted on my shoulder*
Nice!
moch
Blank Tape

Post by moch »

Hello ive been making harsh noise and studying harsh noise since 2011,ever since i first heard incapacients. i go by disfigured robot child,life is suffering,Marimaidona ,half-asleep,klonona. i used to be in a harsh noise group called goruo that had 5 members they all ended up backing out and did their own thing. now goruo is just the name of my netlabel, where i just release projects from the said aliases i go by. as of now ive been doing a lot goruo co releases with gates of hypnos and basement corner emissions.

https://gatesofhypnos.bandcamp.com/
https://goruo.bandcamp.com/
https://basementcorner.bandcamp.com/
masonoise
Contact Mic

Post by masonoise »

Been busy for a while, kept meaning to sign up here but didn't until this weekend. Mason Jones, San Francisco-based. Started releasing experimental/noise cassettes as Trance in 1987, started the Charnel Music label in 1989, published the annual journal Ongaku Otaku about Japanese underground sounds. Did the U.S. manufacturing and distribution for Nux Org (Null) and Endorphine Factory (C.C.C.C.) in the '90s. Collaborated with folks like Hijokaidan, Null, Aube, Astro, and others. Booked shows in SF for years, including the Kingdom of Noise festival. Started the noise-rock band SubArachnoid Space in the late '90s. These days I'm doing solo noise under my name (and others), also in the Dodge/Jones/Rage trio, the Collision Stories quartet, and probably other stuff too. Keeping busy, currently working on a new solo album and a new D/J/R album!
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

MASON!!!!!!!!!
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

masonoise wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:36 pm Been busy for a while, kept meaning to sign up here but didn't until this weekend. Mason Jones, San Francisco-based. Started releasing experimental/noise cassettes as Trance in 1987, started the Charnel Music label in 1989, published the annual journal Ongaku Otaku about Japanese underground sounds. Did the U.S. manufacturing and distribution for Nux Org (Null) and Endorphine Factory (C.C.C.C.) in the '90s. Collaborated with folks like Hijokaidan, Null, Aube, Astro, and others. Booked shows in SF for years, including the Kingdom of Noise festival. Started the noise-rock band SubArachnoid Space in the late '90s. These days I'm doing solo noise under my name (and others), also in the Dodge/Jones/Rage trio, the Collision Stories quartet, and probably other stuff too. Keeping busy, currently working on a new solo album and a new D/J/R album!
You had an outsized indirect influence on my earliest exposure to noise.

‘91-97 I was at Aaron’s Records purchasing whatever Damion was stocking in the noise/experimental section, every directly imported from Osaka noise CDs, zines and G.R.O.S.S. releases of all formats that I couldn’t possibly afford but found some way.

Didn’t know till mid 2000s (via Damion) that you were the actual connection from Japan to California.

Thank you deeply.

Did you have a hand in the Omoide Hatoba US shows mid-90s, and for the Zeni Geva tour as well?
masonoise
Contact Mic

Post by masonoise »

Hello, and thanks for the kind words. I was lucky enough to stumble into the Japanese scene and discover how amazing everyone was, from which point on I tried to help however I could to spread the word. I was able to set up Zeni Geva's first show in SF (with Pain Teens, and Neurosis opening for them!), and did help with the shows over here by C.C.C.C., Hijokaidan, Masonna, Solmania, Omoide Hatoba, Ruins, and many others. Damion was one of the main connections in LA -- there was a collection of us across the country, sort of one or two key people in each city who'd set up a show when someone wanted to come play. It was pretty great.
fenian wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:35 pm
masonoise wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:36 pm Been busy for a while, kept meaning to sign up here but didn't until this weekend. Mason Jones, San Francisco-based. Started releasing experimental/noise cassettes as Trance in 1987, started the Charnel Music label in 1989, published the annual journal Ongaku Otaku about Japanese underground sounds. Did the U.S. manufacturing and distribution for Nux Org (Null) and Endorphine Factory (C.C.C.C.) in the '90s. Collaborated with folks like Hijokaidan, Null, Aube, Astro, and others. Booked shows in SF for years, including the Kingdom of Noise festival. Started the noise-rock band SubArachnoid Space in the late '90s. These days I'm doing solo noise under my name (and others), also in the Dodge/Jones/Rage trio, the Collision Stories quartet, and probably other stuff too. Keeping busy, currently working on a new solo album and a new D/J/R album!

‘91-97 I was at Aaron’s Records purchasing whatever Damion was stocking in the noise/experimental section, every directly imported from Osaka noise CDs, zines and G.R.O.S.S. releases of all formats that I couldn’t possibly afford but found some way.

Didn’t know till mid 2000s (via Damion) that you were the actual connection from Japan to California.

Thank you deeply.

Did you have a hand in the Omoide Hatoba US shows mid-90s, and for the Zeni Geva tour as well?
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Hello and nice to see new people here!
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

I am totally starved for a canned coffee review.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Ongaku Ontaku shld come back to print, Mason, in a better world this wld be.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

masonoise wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:38 am Hello, and thanks for the kind words. I was lucky enough to stumble into the Japanese scene and discover how amazing everyone was, from which point on I tried to help however I could to spread the word. I was able to set up Zeni Geva's first show in SF (with Pain Teens, and Neurosis opening for them!), and did help with the shows over here by C.C.C.C., Hijokaidan, Masonna, Solmania, Omoide Hatoba, Ruins, and many others. Damion was one of the main connections in LA -- there was a collection of us across the country, sort of one or two key people in each city who'd set up a show when someone wanted to come play. It was pretty great.
fenian wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:35 pm

Thank you deeply.

Attachments
IMG_3372.jpeg
IMG_3372.jpeg (86.82 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

I saw Solmania and Masonna down in LA i think it was same year / tour at Anomalous Records shop when Eric was still in Whittier…. Just Incredible! Absolute Stunning!! Still one of my top shows ever. To have seen em with Hijokaiden…!!! Gawdamb!

Mason has been a MASSIVE Direct Influence on my life in general. Love that guy!!
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

Happiness, forever wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:14 pm I saw Solmania and Masonna down in LA i think it was same year / tour at Anomalous Records shop when Eric was still in Whittier…. Just Incredible! Absolute Stunning!! Still one of my top shows ever. To have seen em with Hijokaiden…!!! Gawdamb!

Mason has been a MASSIVE Direct Influence on my life in general. Love that guy!!
This flyer is from the Auditorium show on Hollywood Blvd. I think 1994?
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Oh Snap!! That was literally right as I was getting everything together in my life to go on tour & then stay in Oakland, moving there from La Habra/Fullerton. That’s how I missed that. Dambit!!
But now I gotta know when the Solmania Masonna show was at Anomalous. I’ll ask Eric.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

masonoise wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:38 am Hello, and thanks for the kind words. I was lucky enough to stumble into the Japanese scene and discover how amazing everyone was, from which point on I tried to help however I could to spread the word. I was able to set up Zeni Geva's first show in SF (with Pain Teens, and Neurosis opening for them!), and did help with the shows over here by C.C.C.C., Hijokaidan, Masonna, Solmania, Omoide Hatoba, Ruins, and many others. Damion was one of the main connections in LA -- there was a collection of us across the country, sort of one or two key people in each city who'd set up a show when someone wanted to come play. It was pretty great.
Did Greg Heiman have some involvement with these shows as well, or was he more responsible for the Bay Area shows only? I know he was involved with bringing Merzbow over a couple times in the 90s, and I thought Masonna as well but I could be wrong.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
masonoise
Contact Mic

Post by masonoise »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:22 pm
Did Greg Heiman have some involvement with these shows as well, or was he more responsible for the Bay Area shows only? I know he was involved with bringing Merzbow over a couple times in the 90s, and I thought Masonna as well but I could be wrong.
I think Greg was involved in the LA shows, but not the Bay Area ones. He might have set up the Merzbow show I played at Spaceland, something like 1997/8? I don't remember who brought them over (that was Masami and Sakaibara for that show, I think, but it was a long time ago).
masonoise
Contact Mic

Post by masonoise »

Happiness, forever wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:02 pm Oh Snap!! That was literally right as I was getting everything together in my life to go on tour & then stay in Oakland, moving there from La Habra/Fullerton. That’s how I missed that. Dambit!!
But now I gotta know when the Solmania Masonna show was at Anomalous. I’ll ask Eric.
That was probably in 1994 when we did the Kingdom of Noise festival here in SF, but it could have been the following year, Solmania and Masonna came over again.
masonoise
Contact Mic

Post by masonoise »

Happiness, forever wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:58 pm Ongaku Ontaku shld come back to print, Mason, in a better world this wld be.
Well, I'm not likely to ever do new issues, but I would like to collect the original four into a book. One of these days I'll get the issues scanned in high-res and see what might be possible. Unfortunately I only have a single copy of most issues and I'll have to cut the pages to separate them for scanning, which is a bummer. Then maybe I can find someone to publish it, dunno.
Woe Is Me
Blank Tape

Post by Woe Is Me »

Hi I'm John, I live in Queens NYC.

My noise alias is Woe Is Me. I haven't released anything since the 90s but I'm slowly getting into making new stuff again. I put one old track up on bandcamp: https://woeisme.bandcamp.com
Woe Is Me
Blank Tape

Post by Woe Is Me »

Woe Is Me wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:29 pm Hi I'm John, I live in Queens NYC.

My noise alias is Woe Is Me. I haven't released anything since the 90s but I'm slowly getting into making new stuff again. I put one old track up on bandcamp: https://woeisme.bandcamp.com
I should have included a little more info maybe but it looks like you can't edit a post! I got into noise in the early 90s, really didn't know anyone in the scene but had too much noise in my head that needed to get out. Mark Solotroff listened to my demo, reviewed it in his zine, and booked me on some great Bloodlust shows with Atrax Morgue, Sshe Retina Stimulants, Orphx, Crawl Unit, and a bunch of other very cool projects. I ended up putting out a few things including a few collaborations with Bastard Noise. I then fell off the face of the earth until Lee Bartow was kind enough to add me to a show opening for Wilt/Jim Plotkin/Post Scriptvm in 2008. Ten years later I played at Eric Wood's birthday party in LA, and that's the last anyone heard of me.

Little bits of intermittent things over the years, work and life made it tough to do as much as I wished I had, but I'm still here. Nice to meet you.
ureaVJ
Sound Art

Post by ureaVJ »

James Yeary. Portland Oregon. I’ve been making noise in a collaborative project called dana jnnfrsn for the last two years: scrap metal, synthesis, demi-compositional. Before that micro-editions of CD-Rs as JAMESVICTORYEARY, REMOTE-CONTROL BIBLE COLLEGE, and DRACULA INNA SPACESHIP. 2006-2021 I mostly focused on writing, visual collage and performance art, but have always been listening.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Woe Is Me wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:31 pm

I should have included a little more info maybe but it looks like you can't edit a post! I got into noise in the early 90s, really didn't know anyone in the scene but had too much noise in my head that needed to get out. Mark Solotroff listened to my demo, reviewed it in his zine, and booked me on some great Bloodlust shows with Atrax Morgue, Sshe Retina Stimulants, Orphx, Crawl Unit, and a bunch of other very cool projects. I ended up putting out a few things including a few collaborations with Bastard Noise. I then fell off the face of the earth until Lee Bartow was kind enough to add me to a show opening for Wilt/Jim Plotkin/Post Scriptvm in 2008. Ten years later I played at Eric Wood's birthday party in LA, and that's the last anyone heard of me.

Little bits of intermittent things over the years, work and life made it tough to do as much as I wished I had, but I'm still here. Nice to meet you.
That's awesome. How was it seeing Atrax Morgue live? Was it good working with Bastard Noise?
Woe Is Me
Blank Tape

Post by Woe Is Me »

SS1535 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:55 pm
Woe Is Me wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:31 pm

That's awesome. How was it seeing Atrax Morgue live? Was it good working with Bastard Noise?
At the time I didn't know a ton of Atrax Morgue but from what I knew and had heard of them, I was very exited to be part of that show. It was also their US debut. My memory is more like a slide show than video, but I do remember it was very intense, excellent performance. Marco Corbelli's side project Progetto Morte played too. Also Skin Crime, Deathpile, and Bloodyminded. Fucking awesome lineup. Mark could really put a show together.

I love doing stuff with BN, Eric has been a longtime friend. Anything I do in the future is partially endebted to his urging me to get off my ass. I got in touch with him after the Neanderthal 7", that blew my mind. I was already leaning towards noise and BN's stuff helped affirm that.