RAP SHIT

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
Kenny
Thrashmaster

RAP SHIT

Post by Kenny »

Yesterday was jamming some early 90s UK hip-hop. (really not into the term "Britcore", nobody I knew called it that at the time.)
Silver Bullet "Bring Down The Walls No Limit Squad Returns"
Gunshot "Patriot Games".
Hardnoise "Untitled"

Love this era, so many gems. roughhouse mixing, fast and hard rhymes. still unlike anything I have heard before or since.
Had a lot of great nights at Gunshot shows in the early 90s.
Quality mix here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj5Cfuo ... KStandTall
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Re: RAP SHIT

Post by adult human »

Not a big follower of any hip hop and tend to return to handfuls of favourites but definitely a fan. Probably the most contemporary stuff I got into was Cult of the Damned. Big mixed bag of U.K. scallies doing scuzzy, dark tracks with nice visuals. Sent me on a big Lee Scott binge a year or two back. Love his lyricism which bridges the two worlds of being an arrogant wordplay genius as well as a hungover, miserable nihilist on the dole.
chryptusrecords
Hard Panning

Post by chryptusrecords »

one of my favorite east coast releases is MASTA ACE Incorporated 'Slaughtahouse,' a really clever and insightful album-length west coast diss

the title tracks gives you the idea as the tone shifts halfway thru, but really the whole album flows together perfectly, castigating so-called "gangsta" rappers that were emerging on the other end of the country at the time. paula perry raps about cutting up men with razors. it's really good
MaldororEstMort
C20

Post by MaldororEstMort »

i had a fairly big collection of east coast shit ranging
from the years 1986 - 2000 (all on cd) but i sold it all a few years back due to needing the money 😭😭😭
Kenny
Thrashmaster

Post by Kenny »

adult human wrote: ↑Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:24 am Not a big follower of any hip hop and tend to return to handfuls of favourites but definitely a fan. Probably the most contemporary stuff I got into was Cult of the Damned. Big mixed bag of U.K. scallies doing scuzzy, dark tracks with nice visuals. Sent me on a big Lee Scott binge a year or two back. Love his lyricism which bridges the two worlds of being an arrogant wordplay genius as well as a hungover, miserable nihilist on the dole.
Thanks for the reminder for Cult of the Damned, I really liked the few tracks I heard a few years back, was definitely up my alley.
Will have a go with this Lee Scott fella too. cheers.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

Okay, this'll be a pretty fucked confession but check this out:

Ain Soph - Honorii Ponteficis Evocatio &/or Gradalis

+

(slightly downmixed slightly slowed) Fam (Members Only)

This, seriously. This shit I fuck with on the regular. Usually doing the dishes, don't ask me why. Like, literally, right fucking now.

Yeah, Ain Soph would for me have preceded Wu Tang by like a solid decade but when the latter first hit it just automatically clicked. Automatically shitted. Automatically giggled. Like, that Allah Mathematics chap, if he's not fucking with Ain Soph he's fucking with something straight up on them same-level shits.

Say what you fucking will. This has been going strong for fucking years. I blame my Ain Soph boy, good ol' Atrocious Excrement of Raped Dog. Love that guy.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Kenny wrote: ↑Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:33 pm
adult human wrote: ↑Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:24 am Not a big follower of any hip hop and tend to return to handfuls of favourites but definitely a fan. Probably the most contemporary stuff I got into was Cult of the Damned. Big mixed bag of U.K. scallies doing scuzzy, dark tracks with nice visuals. Sent me on a big Lee Scott binge a year or two back. Love his lyricism which bridges the two worlds of being an arrogant wordplay genius as well as a hungover, miserable nihilist on the dole.
Thanks for the reminder for Cult of the Damned, I really liked the few tracks I heard a few years back, was definitely up my alley.
Will have a go with this Lee Scott fella too. cheers.
Interested in what you think of Lee. He's probably the best member of Cult of the Damned by a long way and I think he's a big galvanising force within the whole thing but plenty of the other guys are well worth looking into as well. I really like how many northern/midlands MCs are involved in the outfit.
APPLE
Contact Mic

Post by APPLE »

Kenny wrote: ↑Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:21 am Yesterday was jamming some early 90s UK hip-hop. (really not into the term "Britcore", nobody I knew called it that at the time.)
Gunshot "Patriot Games".
Hardnoise "Untitled"

Love this era, so many gems. roughhouse mixing, fast and hard rhymes. still unlike anything I have heard before or since.
Quality mix here.
Gunshot is one of my favourite groups ever, I really appreciate how noisy & fast paced it is. I think they had something special which most others didn't.
To me it sounds like Bomb Squad style production, but at a higher BPM and with ragga / double time rapping over it... It's so good.

And it's cool that they crossed over into the punk and metal scenes, which is why there is a Napalm Death collab on 'Mind of a Razor', plus a Bolt Thrower beanie in the video!

If you weren't aware, 'International Rescue' got pressed to vinyl in 2017, after which they reunited and released 3 7" singles between 2018-2020.

What I really want to hear is the unreleased 'Phantasmagoria' demos, which were meant to be put on vinyl around 10 years ago but that fell through for some reason... A few songs are on Youtube, but I'm not sure if the whole thing has ever been put up online?
Kenny
Thrashmaster

Post by Kenny »

APPLE wrote: ↑Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:33 pm
Kenny wrote: ↑Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:21 am Yesterday was jamming some early 90s UK hip-hop. (really not into the term "Britcore", nobody I knew called it that at the time.)
Gunshot "Patriot Games".
Hardnoise "Untitled"

Quality mix here.
Gunshot is one of my favourite groups ever, I really appreciate how noisy & fast paced it is. I think they had something special which most others didn't.
To me it sounds like Bomb Squad style production, but at a higher BPM and with ragga / double time rapping over it... It's so good.

And it's cool that they crossed over into the punk and metal scenes, which is why there is a Napalm Death collab on 'Mind of a Razor', plus a Bolt Thrower beanie in the video!

If you weren't aware, 'International Rescue' got pressed to vinyl in 2017, after which they reunited and released 3 7" singles between 2018-2020.

What I really want to hear is the unreleased 'Phantasmagoria' demos, which were meant to be put on vinyl around 10 years ago but that fell through for some reason... A few songs are on Youtube, but I'm not sure if the whole thing has ever been put up online?

I have to admit, wasn`t much of a fan of that Napalm Death collab, (I remember them on TV doing that version of "Mind of a Razor" with Shayne Embury, can`t remember the show`s name) or what I heard post "Patriot Games" production got slicker, was White Child Rix still behind the decks?
But that first album and those early eps were immense, great live act too, I guess that Bolt Thrower connection came from Vinyl Solution, which put out the early work of both.
Don`t know anything about the 'Phantasmagoria' demos, what era is this??

By the way, I dropped a quick "Battlecreek Brawl" sample in this old Facialmess track years back..
https://pro-noise.bandcamp.com/track/fa ... ead-weight
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Really dig some old school tunes. Havent been listening to rap/hiphop in a while but when it hits, it hits hard and I go full on pinge.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

I've been really enjoying Lil Bruce as a recent discovery. Also Da Unda Dogg and any Bay Area stuff. All of it has a really special feel/sound.
W.K.
C20

Post by W.K. »

Oh shit a Hip-Hop threat on a noise forum!

Those early UK Hip-Hop releases are great yeh.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

yeah used to be big into uk hip hop, skinnyman and roots manuva were the last ones i liked. i was really into early grime as well (dubstep, too) but that stuff went pop so fast that there's really only a handful great grime artists.

been on a huge wu tang kick lately, again. RZA was untouchable for those 6 first wu albums (36 chambers and the first 5 solos). really imaginative beats that honestly have a lot to offer for noise makers i think. odd panning, pairing of samples and just weird sound FX all over. dusty lofi sound (sp-1200 rules), everything about those albums is just perfect.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
APPLE
Contact Mic

Post by APPLE »

Kenny wrote: ↑Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:10 am Don`t know anything about the 'Phantasmagoria' demos, what era is this??
94-ish, between first and second albums I believe.
Kenny
Thrashmaster

Post by Kenny »

Residual / RT wrote: ↑Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:13 am

been on a huge wu tang kick lately, again. RZA was untouchable for those 6 first wu albums (36 chambers and the first 5 solos). really imaginative beats that honestly have a lot to offer for noise makers i think. odd panning, pairing of samples and just weird sound FX all over. dusty lofi sound (sp-1200 rules), everything about those albums is just perfect.
Totally agree, the production on those early Wu records is great..been trying to bag the snare sound on "Bring Da Ruckus" forever.
Kenny
Thrashmaster

Post by Kenny »

Been really enjoying this podcast...might be of interest to some
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/w ... 1525310657

Latest episode has an interview with Sensational.
Parthenon_23
Contact Mic

Post by Parthenon_23 »

Anyone ever heard this before? I found it on an old skate cassette mix made ca. 1998/99. Enjoy:

Sisto
Blank Tape

Post by Sisto »

I absolutely love mid 90s hardcore rap like Onyx, Hoodratz, Da Youngstas and Illegal. Also Funkdoobiest were highly underrated. That Which Doobie U B album is gold. That 90s UK sound is also amazing. Hijack were always my favorite.
As for newer stuff id recommend Blackhandpath. They are basically a better version of Death Grips.

https://blackhandpath.bandcamp.com/album/obfuscant

Also Czarfaze is always on heavy rotation at my apartment
Misere
Nichts Bleibt
brutalist
Blank Tape

Post by brutalist »

i don't listen to that much hip hop, but dj screw is one of my all time favourite musicians and the same goes for three six mafia and mobb deep. i like different styles, from g-funk to conscious new york stuff, but my favourite is probably the southern us stuff in general. i also like the insanity and violence of newer trap/gang hip hop, although it is like listening to particularly nasty nazi punk or something, you really can't support these thugs haha, but the violent energy is there, no doubt.
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

El-P's solo albums are getting vinyl represses, celebrating their 20th, 15th, and 10th anniversaries. I've been waiting for a FanDam repress for AGES.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

I literally check into this guy like once a year and never cease to be amazed at the shit he's dropped.

Every disease possible is a result of radiation
Or rather more specifically an improperly calibrated radiation
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Cypress Hill released a new album lately. Not bad at all thought couple spins in.
Brian O'Blivion
Hard Panning

Post by Brian O'Blivion »

I don't listen to a ton of rap artists, but sometimes the mood strikes. Here's a few records I've been listening to lately that have become favourites:

Big Daddy Kane - Long Live The Kane
Dead Prez - Let's Get Free
Eric B. & Rakim - Follow The Leader
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
APPLE
Contact Mic

Post by APPLE »

Pusha T's new album is very good.
This year has been strong for hip hop and I've enjoyed the albums from Sosmula, Vince Staples, Denzel Curry and Curren$y.
I also liked the Nas and Boldy James albums from late last year.

Blade Brown and K Trap 'joints' is a good tape for anyone who likes UK drill.
Last edited by APPLE on Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drift
Thrashmaster

Post by drift »

if you wonder why you're getting tupac recommendations on random noise youtube videos: yeah, that could be me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs96CXGzYxo

really enigmatic. did he shoot a kid in the head?
turn it up!