Punk/Hardcore

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
Natalia
C20

Re: Punk/Hardcore

Post by Natalia »

ChicagoAnimal wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:14 pm I have been diving into a lot old Finnish hardcore lately.

Anyone a fan?
I really love Mellakka and Kaaos!
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

Absolutely!! Personally, I’m a much bigger fan of Finnish HC than Swedish HC. There is an intense manic energy to Finnish HC that is only (out-) matched by Italian HC.

I have this LP and if you can get a copy, highly recommend:
https://www.discogs.com/release/1304394 ... h-Hardcore

There are a couple tracks from it on the tubesofyou, too.

Also you can use the links from that page to find more amazing Finnish bands, what good compilations shld do, amiright? Haha.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Swedish and Finnish hc are absolutely top tier for me - Anti-Cimex are probably my favourite hardcore band outside of (the obvious default choice) Black Flag. I love stuff like Mob 47, Asocial, Filthy Christians, G-Anx, Arroganta Agitatorer, Discard, Agoni, Shitlickers, Totalitar, Crudity, Crude SS, Protes Bengt, Black Uniforms.... I could go on and on! But more and more I am just so into the later era Cimex stuff, I could listen to Absolut Country of Sweden and Scandinavian Jawbreaker 1000x a week and never get bored of them. I fuckin' love that heavy riffin' shit man.

Finnish stuff I love Riistetyt, Kaaos, Appendix, Rattus, Terveet Kadet, LAMA, Stalin, Kohu-63, Bastards.... I also really love Varaus but their records go out of print so fast I'm just left with the tracks on the Yalta Hi-Life comp. Gotta give Felix Havoc credit for making records like the Protesti and Tampere SS 7"s accessible along with Kaaos. Also RAJOITUS were so great.

And in recent years I've become crazy about Musta Paraati - that LP is so good! Love a little more of a Killing Joke/Siekiera influence with this stuff!! Any similar bands like this (and Padkarosda from Hungary) I would love to hear about.

Also I am not one of those insane collectors - I will take whatever reissues are available to avoid paying $500 for a 7". There's still a few bands on my want list, looking for the Mellaka 7", Disarm DLP collection, Avskum early shit, Pohjasakka 7", Betong Hysteria 7" reissue, lots more I'm probably not thinking of at the moment....

I don't keep up with new stuff like I should but I'm crazy about PARANOID (and I also love SEX DWARF too).
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Finnish HC has Fans!!
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

I just got the Pyhäkoulu 2LP in the mail.

This thing is fucking amazing. Somewhere firmly rooted in hardcore, but with almost gothic tinges but without going post-punk. Very weird, and hard to explain vibe.

Thanks for all the tips on Finnish stuff. Seemingly a fertile ground. Wonder what the runoff of Finnish hardcore into....Finnish experimental was like if it even happened at all?
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

ChicagoAnimal wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:48 pm Wonder what the runoff of Finnish hardcore into....Finnish experimental was like if it even happened at all?
I can safely say that this is one of the weirdest compilations I have ever heard, and highly recommended!!! https://www.discogs.com/release/1361576 ... -1979-1984

Plus you factor in the weirdness of Scandiavian prog like (Finns) Tasavallan Presidentti and Wigwam, plus Swedes like Parson Sound, (International) Harvester, Trad Gras Och Stenar, Älgarnas Trädgård and (personal favorite) Trettioåriga Kriget and that whole scene/region is just endless creativity.

I mean look at Finnish death metal - Unholy and Demilich were bonkers weird, Oksennus is just out to lunch, even the noisecore that comes out of there is just wild, Unpeace, Anal Barbara, Aunt Mary, Yesmeansyes....
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

ChicagoAnimal wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:48 pm I just got the Pyhäkoulu 2LP in the mail.

This thing is fucking amazing. Somewhere firmly rooted in hardcore, but with almost gothic tinges but without going post-punk. Very weird, and hard to explain vibe.
This is cool. Thanks for the tip.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:11 am
ChicagoAnimal wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:48 pm I just got the Pyhäkoulu 2LP in the mail.

This is cool. Thanks for the tip.
Yeah, this was not on my radar - I'm going to check it out.

Another one I see get glossed over is Tuomiopäivän Lapset - I feel like I see their discography in the used bin for like $12 and its really good!!

Not Finnish but I really really really loved KRIGSHOT - I think they shared members with Nasum IIRC - those two LPs and two 7"s on Sound Pollution are great. I never heard the last LP from 2006 tho.

Currently going through the ASSHOLE PARADE discography - still sounds fresh and fun! My old band got to open for them in 1998, that was super cool and they were really nice people.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Asshole Parade are one of my favorite bands from that period of HC, and just in general. All of it! GREAT BAND! ❤️❤️❤️
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

holy ghost wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:30 pm Not Finnish but I really really really loved KRIGSHOT - I think they shared members with Nasum IIRC - those two LPs and two 7"s on Sound Pollution are great. I never heard the last LP from 2006 tho.
You're correct, Krigshot and Nasum do/did share members. That 2006 album wasn't up to the same fury that their earlier material had. I don't know how big a part Mieszko had in the song writing process but the good stuff came out before he died in the tsunami of 2004.
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

How many folks here are into the noisier side of punk like crasher crust? Thinking Japanese bands like Gloom, Zyanose, Deceiving Society, or American bands like Atrocious Madness, Zatsuon, etc. For years it was an obsession of mine and I feel made me more open to noise music.
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

Natalia wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:14 am How many folks here are into the noisier side of punk like crasher crust? Thinking Japanese bands like Gloom, Zyanose, Deceiving Society, or American bands like Atrocious Madness, Zatsuon, etc. For years it was an obsession of mine and I feel made me more open to noise music.
I am mostly a fan! I don't like when it turns into like...Southern Lord metal punk lol. However when bands are FAST, MEAN, AND CYMBALS FLY, I am tuned into what's going on.

Fun to see someone mention Atrocious Madness. I believe Saira Huff was in that band, who has been a member in Bastard Noise.

Her other band worth mentioning - even more so if like fast, mean hardcore - is the Minneapolis group Question. Really fucking awesome hardcore band from the later (final era?) of quality Minneapolis crust hardcore punk. They were active from 2006 until like 2016-2017 I think.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

I like it indeed when the mood strikes, indeed. Had a grip of Gloom LPs at one point. Was just watching their set recent in the All Crusties Spending Loud Night ‘97 show
Atrocious Madness are heavy solid!! What a band. Member Frank on gtr going on to Lebenden Toten, amongst his many other bands.

https://youtu.be/KdMddXdelQ8?si=_NbXXKahgZPDlnFQ

Gloom starts at 16mins
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

Happiness, forever wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:54 pm I like it indeed when the mood strikes, indeed. Had a grip of Gloom LPs at one point. Was just watching their set recent in the All Crusties Spending Loud Night ‘97 show
Atrocious Madness are heavy solid!! What a band. Member Frank on gtr going on to Lebenden Toten, amongst his many other bands.

https://youtu.be/KdMddXdelQ8?si=_NbXXKahgZPDlnFQ

Gloom starts at 16mins
Hell yeah, I have the All Crusties Spending Loud Night ‘97 VHS! Been a while since I've watched it, I need to get a new VHS player. I worshipped that whole video when I was younger.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Natalia wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:14 am How many folks here are into the noisier side of punk like crasher crust?
It's hit or miss for me - I love GLOOM but during my last bender for this stuff I was listening to Zyanose and felt kind of uninspired by it. I really dig Isterismo a lot too. I think at this point in my life I'm more interested in solid riffs than a wall of noise (wow I can't believe I just typed that)....
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Hahaha and it’s the interwebs so it’ll be remembered forever now hahah

I get you tho, kinda same here. I love all that noisy crasher crust, when the mood strikes, but it also doesn’t inspire me like listening to Gauze or The Fix or the Germs does.
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

holy ghost wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:36 pm
Natalia wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:14 am How many folks here are into the noisier side of punk like crasher crust?
It's hit or miss for me - I love GLOOM but during my last bender for this stuff I was listening to Zyanose and felt kind of uninspired by it. I really dig Isterismo a lot too. I think at this point in my life I'm more interested in solid riffs than a wall of noise (wow I can't believe I just typed that)....
Fair enough! Solid riffs forever.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Natalia wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:25 pmFair enough! Solid riffs forever.
I can guarantee in three weeks I'll be all "man the crasher crust wall of noise stuff is where it's at - can't dig this slow stuff right now" once my mood shifts and then I'll feel pretty foolish rereading this thread.....
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Listening to Gauze right now, my opinion has not changed over the years at all, they RULE!!!
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Happiness, forever wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:34 pm Listening to Gauze right now, my opinion has not changed over the years at all, they RULE!!!
Took a spin with my boots of Fuckheads and Equalizing Distort. Just absolutely fantastic. I picked up the last LP a while back and I have only spun it once so far, gotta get a little deeper into it.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Fuck Heads & Equalizing Distort are fantastic but somehow, just somehow they got better, without changing, as time went on. The 3rd & 4th are so fugghin good. Then the 5th and 6th come along and WOW!! The last one I think has been my favorite. Their song structures and the way the vocals have a bigger prominence… i wish i had a lyric sheet.

Gauze RULES!!

I wld really like, I know I’m not alone here, a legit compilation collection of their early comp appearances… oh man… That wld be the knees on bees 🐝!

Y’know, a few years back, All their records have been reissued, save for the Prank 7” to beat some bootleggers. They’re not cheap (what is from Japan?) but they are legit thereby actually supporting the band and label. I wld highly recommend buying ‘em up before they’re not available anymore again.
I picked up the CDs via Dropdeadhc.com
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Happiness, forever wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:24 pmY’know, a few years back, All their records have been reissued, save for the Prank 7” to beat some bootleggers. They’re not cheap (what is from Japan?)
I remember when those came out (and a slew of boots right before) and I was totally planning to buy them until they landed domestically and they were 65-70 before taxes and I had to draw the line. As far as legit Gauze stuff goes I have the Prank LP & 7", the last LP (which I still wound up paying $70 for) and the CD version of the 1997 LP (what a classic!!!!). The rest is 90's boots! Same with Gai, Outo, Stalin, Lip Cream, Kuro, Confuse, Gastunk....

There's a Canadian guy who did an entire fanzine dedicated to live Gauze pictures called WITHOUT BREAK, WITH ALL POWER that came out a few years ago that was so unbelievably sick. Really cool, and you could only get it by sending him a trade for something.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

The LPs are $35 thru Dropdead tho only 3x of the 6x are still available. The CDs are $30

https://www.dropdeadhc.com/product/gauze-lp-preorder-1
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Oh I'm Canadian. $35 USD plus the shipping would bring the cost up to $70 each!

I picked up the "Portland Edition" of the Kings of Punk LP in a shop today and even that was $55 plus taxes!