THE DREADED GEAR THREAD

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Schud017
Contact Mic

Re: THE DREADED GEAR THREAD

Post by Schud017 »

Residual / RT wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:35 pm
Schud017 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:24 pm I'm looking for drum machines recommendations. I have a volca drum and it's not totally doing it for me. It'd be nice to have something with a little more oomph to it. I've real about the Roland TR 909 and Alesis SR16. Thoughts?
TR 909 is digital, fine machine if that's what you're after. SR16 is horrible to program.

I would get one of those Behringer 808's or 909's. Or maybe a drumbrute.
Those have been on my radar as well. Can you get a varied sound from the drumbrute? Easy to program? My brain is shit with menu diving.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Arturia Drumbrute is super easy to get started and make beats immediately, chaining patterns takes a little bit of time to get used to but very easy after a little work. No menu diving but that means certain things have a specific pattern you need to do and push a few buttons to make it work. But right out of the box it’s excruciatingly simple to dial in a Godflesh beat and go off….
Ineffable Slime
Hard Panning

Post by Ineffable Slime »

I have a drumbrute impact and love it. Fm drum is an immense noise generator, built in distortion is cool, and its super easy to get going given the simple analog interface. It pairs with most pedals very nicely too. A few of the drum sounds are kinda weak but Ive gotten a lot out of it.
Kenny
Thrashmaster

Post by Kenny »

It's only a kick drum, but the Vermona Kick Lancet is a beast of a machine.

https://www.vermona.com/en/products/dru ... ck-lancet/
thatonekidatshows
C20

Post by thatonekidatshows »

I'm currently eyeing a 360 Systems Instant Reply for $55. It looks like a capable sorta sampler for noise (and the like), but I dunno if it's worth it considering that it can't play multiple samples at once... Thoughts? Advice?
KoobaatooAsparagus
Sound Art

Post by KoobaatooAsparagus »

Iv'e been using more basic set up Dod Death Metal / Boss Mt2 / Big Muff / Industry hazard Contact Mic sheet metal / recorded straight onto cassette recorder for that old school warm harsh feel analog clipping ... i see lot of yall use the sp404 had it for awhile might have to try to add to my setup
Schud017
Contact Mic

Post by Schud017 »

Kenny wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:04 pm It's only a kick drum, but the Vermona Kick Lancet is a beast of a machine.

https://www.vermona.com/en/products/dru ... ck-lancet/
I've seen that one around a few times. Can it get a pretty varied sound?
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

thatonekidatshows wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:55 am I'm currently eyeing a 360 Systems Instant Reply for $55. It looks like a capable sorta sampler for noise (and the like), but I dunno if it's worth it considering that it can't play multiple samples at once... Thoughts? Advice?
I’ve never even heard of this thing before but looked it up. I personally would give this is a miss. No effects, no speeding samples up or slowing them down, and it’s monophonic. It also looks pretty large and heavy. If you just want to trigger samples, just get an Akai MPX8. Or even just use your phone’s headphone out jack.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

Atrophist wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:53 pm
thatonekidatshows wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:55 am I'm currently eyeing a 360 Systems Instant Reply for $55. It looks like a capable sorta sampler for noise (and the like), but I dunno if it's worth it considering that it can't play multiple samples at once... Thoughts? Advice?
I’ve never even heard of this thing before but looked it up. I personally would give this is a miss. No effects, no speeding samples up or slowing them down, and it’s monophonic. It also looks pretty large and heavy. If you just want to trigger samples, just get an Akai MPX8. Or even just use your phone’s headphone out jack.
mpx8 was the worst piece of equipment i've ever used. it crashed if you tried to play a longer sample, officially it supports samples up to 30 seconds but i could only make it play under 10 second samples without crashing. waste of time.

Teenage Engineering PO-133 is similar but actually works.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

Residual / RT wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:55 am
mpx8 was the worst piece of equipment i've ever used. it crashed if you tried to play a longer sample, officially it supports samples up to 30 seconds but i could only make it play under 10 second samples without crashing. waste of time.

Teenage Engineering PO-133 is similar but actually works.
I’ve heard of similar problems before. Absolute Key uses one apparently w/o problems, and Akai keeps assuring they’ve fixed the problems,

But yeah, not having used one myself (I should have made that clear to begin with) I guess I might as well retract that advice,

I should look into that PO, I actually am in the market for something like this myself.
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

Addendum:

If a monophonic sampler is enough, the Microgranny is great. That one I do have actual experience with. Super gnarly and lo-fi. The only downside is the rather complicated system for storing, playing, up/downloading samples. It takes a minute or two to wrap your head around it, but it’s definitely doable still.
abiophylliac
Sound Art

Post by abiophylliac »

Typical setups for me. Old dod distortions/dfx94 and a boss peq 3b with sound sources/mics whatever and a feedback loop usually split from the middle of my pedal chains. Any recommendations for new pedals that make things weirder in feedback loops? Do all ad/da pedals suck the life out of a feedback loop or what?
filedteeth
Sound Art

Post by filedteeth »

Any recommendations for devices & microphones for capturing insect recordings? Definitely thinking more towards the $$$ level of cost than $$$$.
mouthofinfinity
Contact Mic

Post by mouthofinfinity »

Decided to dabble in making some noise for the first time and picked up a Behringer UB1202 for $40. Going to play around with that for a little before getting something nicer.
drift
Thrashmaster

Post by drift »

I have a 6u synth rn. it's ok, need to sell the miasma for a better switch if I'm really gonna enjoy using it
Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 23.09.35.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 23.09.35.png (287.24 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
I am really anti mic - in my own recordings not in general - but, clearly, not generic distortion haha.
turn it up!
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

mouthofinfinity wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:06 pm Decided to dabble in making some noise for the first time and picked up a Behringer UB1202 for $40. Going to play around with that for a little before getting something nicer.
Do you need something nicer? I have a Xenyx 802, had it for years and years and have used it on all of my releases. Great little mixer and cost me 20 bucks used.
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

Does anyone have any experience using Cold Gold contact mics?
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

Schud017 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:24 pm I'm looking for drum machines recommendations. I have a volca drum and it's not totally doing it for me. It'd be nice to have something with a little more oomph to it. I've real about the Roland TR 909 and Alesis SR16. Thoughts?
ancient question but i just bought an elektron analog rytm and it's the ultimate drum machine. quite extensive synthesis for a drum machine and samples for each track, so you can layer a sample and the synthesis sound per track. it's amazing honestly, i put hr-16 samples and then tweaked the synths sounds and it's like a unique alesis drum machine lost in time now. same goes for classic 808 and 909 stuff, you can add synthesis on top of the samples and just make it into something completely new but still familiar. and also the FX are quite good, two LFO's that can be directed to anything (LFO modulating sample bit reduction coupled with reverb is really great) and the sequencer is naturally best in the game.

MK. 1's cost like 600-700 euros which is honestly a steal.
thedemonfeedback666
C20

Post by thedemonfeedback666 »

thatonekidatshows wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:08 pm I just picked up a Quadraverb. I have mixed feelings about synthetic reverb in noise music, but maybe this could reveal some interesting sonic territory to me. Just messing around to become acquainted with it (having not yet read the manual), though, I got some neat sounds, so we'll see what happens.
I have a soft spot for all the old Alesis reverbs. I still have a Nanoverb, that I use sometimes in feedback loops. You can do really weird shit using the midi in on the Quadraverb. Autechre used one almost as its own instrument.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

I've often considered buying a Nanoverb again just for its glitchy delay buffer. Tweaking a heavily distorted signal's delay time made for really interesting sounds.

Never used their other verbs, though I have an Akira with MIDI functionality and have gotten some cool effects using the XY controller in FLStudio to wildly swipe across parameters.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

Has anyone modded any FM radios for a sound source?
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Despite having used AM/FM a lot as a sound source, I've never gotten much of interest from poking around inside of radios (though it seems there ought to be some interesting possibilities) and only rehoused a portable one to make it more easily compatible with pedals by installing a 1/4 jack.

I've wanted a eurorack module or stomp box format AM/FM radio with analog tuning for a long time, but most options that exist in euro are not only hard to find, but only provide access to the much less interesting FM band and/or don't allow for analog tuning versus choppy, automatic scanning.

I did finally find someone (NoisyFruitsLab) selling a new FM module with CV-addressable, analog tuning, which is nice to finally have. Would still prefer CV control over the AM band, though.
kvnvk
Blank Tape

Post by kvnvk »

Residual / RT wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:47 am Has anyone modded any FM radios for a sound source?
Back in the late 90s, when I was way more into soldering and building stuff, I circuit bent a couple of old clock radios, which comes with a disclaimer that it is NOT something anyone should try without a certain level of knowledge about electronics and an abundance of caution poking around circuits with a/c power transformers. I got some decent, though limited results, the FM band didn't do much, AM was a lot more interesting, and it really seemed like you could get more useful bends from different manufacturers, the GE clock radio ended up with 3 pots and a couple of switches, whereas the Emerson I was only able to find 2 really good bends. Also did this with a couple of older, battery-powered, handheld radios, one had an extra antenna wired to it and reacted sort of like a theremin, the other, again, only really had one good bend, which I hard-wired and got variation by manually tuning through the AM channels.
bobMarinelli
C20

Post by bobMarinelli »

Great thread - it's generated a lot of ideas. So many pieces of gear that seem common but I never knew existed as well.

My main rig is an SM57 mic plugged into small mixer with a two aux sends that go to a DOD Death Metal and a DOD Grunge. got them new 20+ years ago. add a pile of scrap metal and I can make a day of it.

borrowed a DOD meatbox in the mid-90's and tried to never give it back. two years go I found out they reissued them, and I bought one for myself. I have some DOD delays and couple of Ibanez metal distortions I got when they came through the local music store as used. a pair of Behringer knock offs (distortions). I have a WMD Geiger counter that I felt emotionally connected to and HAD to buy. plugged into my regular rig, I haven't found anything magical about it. but running normal sound (even simple drum loops) through it, it destroys all the evidence and make my soul smile. add a custom pedal Henry did for me that's half envelope/half Death by Audio Robot and that's all the boxes.

Add some synth apps for the phone that are for "experimental sound purposes" instead of "making commercial music" and that's about all I use at the moment.

in the wings waiting for me is a contact mic and a garage shop full of machines and metals - I haven't even really started on that adventure, and it seems like a proper noisey one!

I have a DAW and use a few plugins. Tactical Nuke is a wavetable distortion, and I just like wavetable distortion. The Freakshow Industries stuff sings to me, but I don't use it for noise. I'm just happy there's someone out there doing that stuff. Audio Damage has Grind, a wavetable distortion plugin that's free now. it's been dropped off the supported software list I think, so it's like a "get it now and use it until it doesn't work anymore" thing.

I still tend to think of things like I'm recording on a 4 track. one set of stereo tracks for the main performance. then another set of stereo tracks for the "supporting" performance. then I'm typically done. mix it and move on.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

I have a host of mics I've been experimenting with. Got this tiny plastic microphone from one of those old chunky, portable cassette players that I've been using to record a bit. I should post some specifications and pictures later on. Really into getting the subtle differences between mic quality. There's a little desk one that almost looks like a game show host would hold it, and used it last set. I really like it but the on/off switch is a bit loose and switches off too easily if I'm draping a bunch of chains over it. Another mic maybe from the 80's that's possibly a kick mic? Has output for left and right channels which is neat.