Dislikes and turnoffs

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
WCN
Maniacs Only

Re: Dislikes and turnoffs

Post by WCN »

Sam is very gracious about this fact. I’ve often tried to get him to speak candidly about this, but he usually stays pretty discreet, though I know it’s gotta be super annoying. I do think it’s classy how he handles it.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

adult human wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:40 am Didn’t know Hot Topic still existed. The last time I saw it used as a pejorative term for what young people were doing was at least 10 years ago. Longer still since a mention of nkondi.
Didn't know hot topic existed at all, googled it still not really sure I get it, though I tend not to get things till some decades after they had long since departed from any given conversation, and judging by the tone around here that's probably a good(?) thing. For me mallnoise scans as sorta low grade bustling pink noise with random flits of attention kmart shoppers strewn through halfbaked impressions of Gero's Hotel Ultra. But that's just me.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: halfbaked impressions of Gero's Hotel Ultra.
This bit sounds great.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

adult human wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:07 pm
Joie de la Blumpy wrote: halfbaked impressions of Gero's Hotel Ultra.
This bit sounds great.
Hard to top I know but one can dream.
SafetyPropaganda
Contact Mic

Post by SafetyPropaganda »

hot topic mall is, I believe, hyper genre codified noise. For me, noise was simply the final frontier of experimental music and sound production, especially in a non-academic context. Brassier's belief that noise is simply all sound that is not music rings true to me.

But now, I'm not so sure that's true. The whole black hoodie metalhead noise thing for me is rather limiting. I love tons and tons of metal music too, but it should serve a much different function than noise. When noise is genre codified in such a way, the focus is entirely on its heaviness or extremity, but this should be a limitless and expansive form of sound that nearly defied typical language in its description.
Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:42 pm
December Man wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:02 pm
Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:50 am

Do go on.
I've been checking this over and over because I really want this to be explained.
I was thinking there might be an implied and perhaps semi-ironic critique of certain (perceived) approaches within industrial-adjacent fields of sound, semi-ironic as far as how potential constructs of "industrial" might be seen to inflect. (And I say perceived as a bail out because all joking aside I'm not really ready to assume anything on behalf of say the nkondis of the world. Though, all joking up front, I'm still sure they'd still deserve it!)
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

SafetyPropaganda wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:00 pm When noise is genre codified in such a way, the focus is entirely on its heaviness or extremity, but this should be a limitless and expansive form of sound that nearly defied typical language in its description.
Good argument, old argument. One that's been going on for a while now. Syncs on a level with CYESS AFXZS and the desire to destroy what has been in the interest of moving things forward. And to that I'd trot out the same (oooold) cautions. Like, are you sure you've got it? Are you sure sure? Reeeal sure? Cause you'd better be, you'd better fuckin be, lest you simply end up splitting off to yet another ho-hum hyper codified reification, right, but with, like, more torque. This danger that you think you've got the whole of it when you're focusing on one tiny little iteration, with black hoodies to boot.

And I'd submit, this is not (necessarily) a noise problem. Not a sound problem. But a problem with philosophy, philosophizing, a problem of ideas framing.

Or in modern day terms. Take your consulting company of choice. Take that proposal. Implement. And watch as the grunts bend over backwards to plug in the many many many holes to make the shit work. Story of fucking life, am I wrong?
SafetyPropaganda
Contact Mic

Post by SafetyPropaganda »

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:55 am
SafetyPropaganda wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:00 pm When noise is genre codified in such a way, the focus is entirely on its heaviness or extremity, but this should be a limitless and expansive form of sound that nearly defied typical language in its description.
Good argument, old argument. One that's been going on for a while now. Syncs on a level with CYESS AFXZS and the desire to destroy what has been in the interest of moving things forward. And to that I'd trot out the same (oooold) cautions. Like, are you sure you've got it? Are you sure sure? Reeeal sure? Cause you'd better be, you'd better fuckin be, lest you simply end up splitting off to yet another ho-hum hyper codified reification, right, but with, like, more torque. This danger that you think you've got the whole of it when you're focusing on one tiny little iteration, with black hoodies to boot.

And I'd submit, this is not (necessarily) a noise problem. Not a sound problem. But a problem with philosophy, philosophizing, a problem of ideas framing.

Or in modern day terms. Take your consulting company of choice. Take that proposal. Implement. And watch as the grunts bend over backwards to plug in the many many many holes to make the shit work. Story of fucking life, am I wrong?
I don't know. CYESS is very good though.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

SafetyPropaganda wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:22 am
Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:55 am

I don't know. CYESS is very good though.
I tend to look at the framing of ideas as a hypothesis which gets disassembled during experimentation and reassembled at the end but may not necessarily be a frame. It may end up a fish, but that depends on how far or how long I am willing to push my boundaries. I would in the interest of education, like to see a timeline for noise and how the genre has been pushed from early musique concrète to current noise.
Molena
C20

Post by Molena »

for me one of the biggest turn off's or annoyances is the use of tropes in noise. the moody back screen with black and white imagery taken from a car, boat, train is so over rated and over done that i just cant take it seriously. the emulation and imitation is another thing that just irks me, i get that people have influences and noise that they love but being a pale imitation with the same type face on releases is tiring.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

For me, it's the title or track name being more interesting than the actual piece.
oZiris
Hard Panning

Post by oZiris »

I think if you have more than 3 active profiles posting regularly on forms; you might be a shameless carny or a neo-conservative sociopath.
Molena
C20

Post by Molena »

I guess also cliques and moody guys who think the genre belongs to them because they got into merzbow before you. Tired old men living on past glories of some show they played years ago but have not done much in the mean time. Ego's.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Molena wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:02 pm I guess also cliques and moody guys who think the genre belongs to them because they got into merzbow before you. Tired old men living on past glories of some show they played years ago but have not done much in the mean time. Ego's.
...tough guy/self-hype/egotrip dogshit that has leaked in from hardcore. It's goofy 100% of the time...
Not trying to call anybody out here. I'm literally nobody and don't have a dog in this fight, but a lot of the US scene is really fucking funny when observed from the sidelines. Definitely a lot of lingering post-hadcore damage!
---
FWIW, I used to be really possessive and elitist about noise when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I used to hate Wolf Eyes so much because I felt like there were just a bunch of jaded hipsters "suddenly" invading my territory after getting into noise. Ironically, I was the one late to the party, having shown up totally uninvited! Like, the whole No Fun thing already existed, but I was just oblivious the the midwest/eastcoast noise scene that existed way before. I can laugh about it now...
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Some of my least favorite things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a440MI9mYDE

I am finding the graphic images on noise releases to be played out and boring. Sorry but the internet (rotten.com) desensitized me years ago.

Though I understand the restrictions on playing music/noise on podcasts, listening to various hosts trying to come up with descriptors to explain what they've listened to reminds me of this commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo_Z4KLhPfI

30 minutes of unchanging noise that's supposed to be a modern interpretation of Herman Melville's Moby Dick (a silly made up example) and the people who buy into it.

Girls who dislike me for who I am, instead of who I'm pretending to be.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

oZiris wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:33 am I think if you have more than 3 active profiles posting regularly on forms; you might be a shameless carny or a neo-conservative sociopath.
As in three profiles on the same forum, or three profiles in total on multiple forums?
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

luciferjonez wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:48 am Girls who dislike me for who I am, instead of who I'm pretending to be.
The true pain of the noise-freak.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

SS1535 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:14 pm
luciferjonez wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:48 am Girls who dislike me for who I am, instead of who I'm pretending to be.
The true pain of the noise-freak.
preach. :D
oZiris
Hard Panning

Post by oZiris »

I don't think there is anything that sours me more than the modern Mitch McConnell archetype. A false ally. Intentionally horrendous, chauvinistic & covertly racist; conveniently protected behind a parter of ethnicity: to deny any kind of bias views. Like Elaine Chao. I thought an alt right Moz Rotten was distasteful. But never underestimate covert sleaze bag alt right nationalist$. Like the spirit of some OD'd drummer vengefully rising like smoke from a chimney. So fucking bored by Junkie Simon's Pantomimed Agony backed by Ladysmith Black Mambazo. part Frat Party part Funeral Procession. Like some hit & run result; a petty rabid dying dog that won't stop bleeding all over the yard, dragging its half dead body until the legs just finally give out. Whimpering gasps of public adulation for literal Neo-Nazi white supremacists. Your only god is your supplier. Beware of the Golden Fang! Keep hiding behind tokenism & false virtue signal selfies. A truly disgusting Carny Clown.

Perhaps someday everyone will dislike you for who you are, instead of who you pretend to be.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

oZiris wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:25 am I don't think there is anything that sours me more than the modern Mitch McConnell archetype. A false ally. Intentionally horrendous, chauvinistic & covertly racist; conveniently protected behind a parter of ethnicity: to deny any kind of bias views. Like Elaine Chao. I thought an alt right Moz Rotten was distasteful. But never underestimate covert sleaze bag alt right nationalist$. Like the spirit of some OD'd drummer vengefully rising like smoke from a chimney. So fucking bored by Junkie Simon's Pantomimed Agony backed by Ladysmith Black Mambazo. part Frat Party part Funeral Procession. Like some hit & run result; a petty rabid dying dog that won't stop bleeding all over the yard, dragging its half dead body until the legs just finally give out. Whimpering gasps of public adulation for literal Neo-Nazi white supremacists. Your only god is your supplier. Beware of the Golden Fang! Keep hiding behind tokenism & false virtue signal selfies. A truly disgusting Carny Clown.

Perhaps someday everyone will dislike you for who you are, instead of who you pretend to be.
If someone were to put out noise in the Mitch McConnel archetype and it was honest with all of the piss and vinegar that comes with it, I would at the least respect the effort though would not be able to relate to it. Society has forced people to hide their hatred into a passive aggressive façade. I would prefer to see the ignorance out in the open.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

For all the verbose and intricate wordsalad, I'd just expect some speciffic names to be called out somewhere in all of it...

COME ON, NAME AND SHAME!
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

luciferjonez wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:40 am
oZiris wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:25 am I don't think there is anything that sours me more than the modern Mitch McConnell archetype. A false ally. Intentionally horrendous, chauvinistic & covertly racist; conveniently protected behind a parter of ethnicity: to deny any kind of bias views. Like Elaine Chao. I thought an alt right Moz Rotten was distasteful. But never underestimate covert sleaze bag alt right nationalist$. Like the spirit of some OD'd drummer vengefully rising like smoke from a chimney. So fucking bored by Junkie Simon's Pantomimed Agony backed by Ladysmith Black Mambazo. part Frat Party part Funeral Procession. Like some hit & run result; a petty rabid dying dog that won't stop bleeding all over the yard, dragging its half dead body until the legs just finally give out. Whimpering gasps of public adulation for literal Neo-Nazi white supremacists. Your only god is your supplier. Beware of the Golden Fang! Keep hiding behind tokenism & false virtue signal selfies. A truly disgusting Carny Clown.

If someone were to put out noise in the Mitch McConnel archetype and it was honest with all of the piss and vinegar that comes with it, I would at the least respect the effort though would not be able to relate to it. Society has forced people to hide their hatred into a passive aggressive façade. I would prefer to see the ignorance out in the open.
I want Neocon harsh noise, and I want it now!
MÁVAR
Blank Tape

Post by MÁVAR »

Im not a fan of crackle heavy noise a la The Rita. It just does not push the limit enough for my taste and most of the time is just plain boring.

I prefer stuff that leans heavy on the low end and has some ebb and flow to it, when it’s just a monotonous wall I just don’t get the point.
sxxxxxe
Sound Art

Post by sxxxxxe »

Last edited by sxxxxxe on Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

As of recent, modern cut-up has been bothersome to listen to; not much variation in sounds being used to the point where it makes modern wall noise look inventive.
Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

k.p.g wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:50 pm As of recent, modern cut-up has been bothersome to listen to; not much variation in sounds being used to the point where it makes modern wall noise look inventive.
I feel like that's one of the biggest stumbling blocks for this style as a whole. And maybe the hallmarks of the genre are now becoming cliches (cue loop-stutter effect)? It's really a difficult style to do well or in a way that feels fresh and doesn't fall into monochromatic repition of a handful of tricks that quickly overstay their welcome. Especially with hardware. I don't have enough hands for it myself.