Dislikes and turnoffs

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Re: Dislikes and turnoffs

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

W.K. wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:31 pm On topic of Mikko and Grunt, pretty sure he does it to piss people of but also how many albums can you make using Nazi imagery? I don't know if the guy is a real Nazi but he made some pretty racy comments in the past...Aso he has done more for noise than most of us. Difficult isn't it? Especially when he doesn't give any conclusive answers himself.
I can't take his nazi imagery use seriously, but the, uh, other stuff he's into is what bothers me... A LOT!!!!!

=P
_IS_
Contact Mic

Post by _IS_ »

I think art should definitely be allowed to be ambiguous and to deal with uncomfortable and disorienting topics, however it's not very interesting when the only thing there seems to be any ambiguity about is whether you are an actual fascist or are just playing with the imagery. That said I don't think this is a very pressing concern in contemporary harsh noise, perhaps a bit more so in power electronics. I can often ignore it if the material is otherwise strong enough, but I can certainly understand why some would be less inclined to do so.

One turnoff in noise for me is the use of spoken word samples. They usually come across as uninspired and cheap to me and hardly ever add anything to the music. Case in point being the new Macro reissue on Usagi. I'm not "offended" by the samples, I just think they are silly and redundant. Luckily they are done with the sampling in the first ten minutes and the material is otherwise fantastic so I'm glad I picked it up regardless. Of course voice can be used in more considered ways too such as in Josh Peterson's recordings or Joe Colley's recent Trying to Play Nothing 7" etc.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

Chris wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:04 pmDo you really need to lug that much stuff for a 10 minute set?
Is this a trick question?
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

htp_systems wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:52 am By far my biggest dislike when it comes to noise/pe/etc is when you buy a tape for a release you are really stoked about and you finally get it in the mail and throw it in the player and press play and lo and behold the dub is too quiet. I've bought tapes before where I had to turn the volume on my player all the way up and the audio was still extremely buried. If you aren't going to dub your material at a decent volume then don't bother releasing it on cassette.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:50 am
New Forces wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:34 amOne big one for me is watching a PE act scream menacingly into a microphone during a live set while the vocals are completely inaudible over the PA. Incredible how often this happens.
That is possibly the most amusing thing I've ever seen at noise/pe/etc shows. It happens so often, too.
Oddly enough, those for me are the most powerful don't ask me why (because you don't want to hear my answer!).
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:01 amorgasm samples
The fuck? Orgasm samples are (very possibly) part of what got me into other kinds of music to start with.

Look, I was thirteen alright?
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:50 amBtw that Windows alert thing has me ROLLING!!!
Finally! This thread finds its true calling.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

New Forces wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:34 am One big one for me is watching a PE act scream menacingly into a microphone during a live set while the vocals are completely inaudible over the PA. Incredible how often this happens.
This is hysterical and I also love when they bring too much gear to a gig and can’t figure out the signal path. Like you have 40 pedals and two synths and they can’t figure out how to get it all into the mixer properly. So you’re standing there with the sound guy pointing at stuff and making the show run late.

And then you’re supposed to “get into PE character” and get real mad.

(I worked on TV mobiles for years and I know the importance of order and neat cabling! I guess those habits die hard!!)
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

New Forces wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:34 am People's tolerance for awful and/or quiet dubs never ceases to amaze me.
Welcome to the 80s.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:25 am
New Forces wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:34 am People's tolerance for awful and/or quiet dubs never ceases to amaze me.
Welcome to the 80s.
Okay, but no, but seriously. Maybe Zoviet France turned the said into a highly influential aesthetic, but it's not like there wasn't an "industry standard" that helped p-p-push it real good.
New Forces
Hard Panning

Post by New Forces »

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:30 am
Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:25 am
Welcome to the 80s.
Okay, but no, but seriously. Maybe Zoviet France turned the said into a highly influential aesthetic, but it's not like there wasn't an "industry standard" that helped p-p-push it real good.
I think there's also a modern variant of this where people starting a label buy a cheap high-speed duplicator that sounds like complete ass
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

New Forces wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:10 amsounds like complete ass
Uh, so that's bad is it?
Zalhietzli
Hard Panning

Post by Zalhietzli »

"Themes" in noise. I approach the genre with a very abstract appreciation for the sounds first and foremost, so I don't look for any meaning/message into it. I don't hate it (else I wouldn't even be here, ha), but I don't care for it.
MaldororEstMort
C20

Post by MaldororEstMort »

W.K. wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:36 pm VOD doing re-releases of obscure and hard to get material only. Surely VOD should do what they want to do but I'm just jealous because I never have money for it and I rather see more affordable CD-re-releases.
this right here! i fucking hate vinyl and when labels release these giant boxsets of hard to get shit on vinyl, it pisses me off! i agree, definitely more cd re-releases of oop older stuff!
ASN
Contact Mic

Post by ASN »

Lack of effort
Guitar noise
Too much reliance on describing process to cover for an uninteresting release
Formless noise with bad buried vocals being passed off as power electronics
Being so stuck in the past that an artist is afraid to make their own moves
Completely rejecting the past and an artist thinking they're either reinventing the wheel or just not realizing that what they're doing isn't very good
brutalist
Blank Tape

Post by brutalist »

i really do appreciate all approaches to noise/pe - from the charming not-so-serious approach of some harsh noise to the "fascistic" approach of pe, politics aside. i get why some people don't like the political thing, but i guess it's just a part of pe. i myself am not political (call it a cop-out if you will) but i highly appreciate politics as aesthetics in art - from crass to grunt. but only if the political aesthetic says something about the human condition, i am not so much into sloganeering - although i love some preachy political punk, crisis for example. but i think the highly thematic hnw thing can be tiring, imo. the rita have made some incredible stuff using this method, but it was kind of a one-off, again imo. like much of conceptual art, it can only be done once. but who am i to complain if people like it? i myself prefer the other kind of highly active harsh noise, so maybe it's just a taste thing.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Re: Dislikes and instant turnoffs

Post by SS1535 »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:32 pm Stuff that sounds bad turns me off
No - I turn off stuff that sounds bad!
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

MaldororEstMort wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:13 pm
W.K. wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:36 pm VOD doing re-releases of obscure and hard to get material only. Surely VOD should do what they want to do but I'm just jealous because I never have money for it and I rather see more affordable CD-re-releases.
this right here! i fucking hate vinyl and when labels release these giant boxsets of hard to get shit on vinyl, it pisses me off! i agree, definitely more cd re-releases of oop older stuff!
Third in support of this. I was really annoyed to hear that Ramleh's Hole in the Heart would be rereleased in this fashion.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Re: Dislikes and instant turnoffs

SS1535 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:54 pm
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:32 pm Stuff that sounds bad turns me off
No - I turn off stuff that sounds bad!
The cruel noise loop.
Der.Bluteimer
Contact Mic

Post by Der.Bluteimer »

. . . The sad dead of Nick Zedd (27.2.'22) . . .
Boarnoise
Contact Mic

Post by Boarnoise »

Not too sure this was covered (browsed the first couple pages and I’ve seen that argument before….)
-playing a show as a touring act and the person who booked the show tells to performers to figure out the show order the themselves.
-on tour being told you have a place to crash but really don’t
- playing a noise show with a shit ton of people in attendance but not one tape sold hahahah
- noise egos in general.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Boarnoise wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:05 pm -playing a show as a touring act and the person who booked the show tells to performers to figure out the show order the themselves.
- noise egos in general.
Not sure these are mutually exclusive...
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:48 pm
Boarnoise wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:05 pm -playing a show as a touring act and the person who booked the show tells to performers to figure out the show order the themselves.
- noise egos in general.
Still I'd say the number of anti-egos easily balances out the egos, as such. I remember a (great!) performer (mildly) carping when their project got slotted last- "Like, why am I the superstar here?"

Wanted to say but didn't, "Uh...because I saw a few clips of your previous performances and didn't want the nice people who run the venue to shut it down before the other superstars got to play..."
Boarnoise
Contact Mic

Post by Boarnoise »

- noise egos in general.
I’d say there is a difference between having common courtesy for a touring act and having an ego.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Boarnoise wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:51 pm
- noise egos in general.
I’d say there is a difference between having common courtesy for a touring act and having an ego.
I'd concede that in some cases that can be an issue, but that in some cases the middle ground between the assorted personalities (a word I confess I generally prefer to the e-word) ... the middle ground between the assorted personalities involved might be seen as difficult to parse. My little anecdote was intended as a simple example of the different ways an "executive decision" can be interpreted.