Dislikes and turnoffs

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Tinnitustimulus
C20

Re: Dislikes and turnoffs

Post by Tinnitustimulus »

thedemonfeedback666 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:53 pm
Tinnitustimulus wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:20 pm
thedemonfeedback666 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:43 pm It's nice to see people being honest in here about what they hate. But if you take away all the blood, edgy-ness, murder, corpses, rape, war, gore, bad vibes, acting insane onstage, etc. then I find noise to be kinda boring.
I would argue you don't actually like noise as much as the idea of it in that case. God forbid noise for noise sake.
Just because you want noise to be sanitized, it doesn't mean people who enjoy vile content don't actually like noise. I have a massive collection of TNB & The Haters & Incapacitants, & other projects who make noise for noise's sake. Love that stuff. One of my projects is like that. I just love murder and rape and hate and war and gore, as content.

If I said I love horror movies because of their content, not their film grain, would you argue that I only enjoy the idea of movies, not actually watching them? Just say that stuff makes you uncomfortable. No one is going to judge you for it.
Very interesting you backed down on your claims… as if I had a point you had to admit to. And yes, noise is not a horror movie content wise. What is content for you anyways, the packaging? The titles? Certainly not the noise itself. Does proiekt hat sound as good and equal to deathkey from slapping a swastika on both?
thedemonfeedback666
C20

Post by thedemonfeedback666 »

Tinnitustimulus wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:42 pm
thedemonfeedback666 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:53 pm
Tinnitustimulus wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:20 pm

I would argue you don't actually like noise as much as the idea of it in that case. God forbid noise for noise sake.
Just because you want noise to be sanitized, it doesn't mean people who enjoy vile content don't actually like noise. I have a massive collection of TNB & The Haters & Incapacitants, & other projects who make noise for noise's sake. Love that stuff. One of my projects is like that. I just love murder and rape and hate and war and gore, as content.

If I said I love horror movies because of their content, not their film grain, would you argue that I only enjoy the idea of movies, not actually watching them? Just say that stuff makes you uncomfortable. No one is going to judge you for it.
Very interesting you backed down on your claims… as if I had a point you had to admit to. And yes, noise is not a horror movie content wise. What is content for you anyways, the packaging? The titles? Certainly not the noise itself. Does proiekt hat sound as good and equal to deathkey from slapping a swastika on both?
Who's talking about Deathkey & swastikas? And who is backing down? Why are you so upset that a random person online enjoys edgy material? I know this is probably a "welcome to the internet moment", but you're coming off pretty pathetic right now. You're bringing all this energy and anger, and even (in a very mealy mouthed and indirect way, childish even) calling me a poser and a nazi (if you got something to say, say it). If extreme content keeps you awake at night, then don't indulge in it. There are a lot of content-less or soft and safe noise projects for you to enjoy. No one is going to think badly of you. Good noise is good noise, but good noise with lyrics or cover art & song titles about serial killers & rapists & murderers & war ups the ante, imo. Especially with some nasty samples thrown in. I really enjoy that stuff, and it does make the noise more enjoyable for me. FOR ME. If you don't like that shit, avoid it. And if you have something to say, speak clearly. Don't just bring up Deathkey or other boogiemen lol
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

I like edgy stuff too... Why don't we see intestines and exploding heads in anime anymore?!

MAKE ANIME GORY AGAIN!
Tinnitustimulus
C20

And now as you are offended, have I said anything about being against the themes you are talking about? My point is not comparing you to deathkey but comparing deathkey to proiekt hat.

Maybe you should listen to some proiekt hat to see where Im getting at? I would say Proiekt Hat is similar themed to Deathkey but maybe more subversive. Perhaps tact is the word. Never seen him on any boogeyman list but def does sketchy themes enough to keep anonymous. A webradio show a friend would play him and without the context I rather enjoyed Proiekt Hat that would be played. Now Deathkey just sounds bad from what I heard, a lot of timestretching, its kind of just lazy from what i can remember.

Also you brought up the Haters which I think is interesting in the terms of BDSM artwork. You can tell when someone uses it in their work because they enjoy it or participate in it or when its used for schlock. Haters are definitely the former tho they are also one of the first and at a time it was not a google search away. The cover of Drunk on Decay is the performance of the damn thing. Also I will admit I cant listen to The Whipping in its entirety but I like the concept of it. Nothing to do with its album art of course and everything with its experience of listening to it. If I wanted that experience I would have just whipped or be whipped by someone for an hour instead.

Also, noise with lyrics? Are you talking about Power Electronics? I can just say I dont like most power electronics and call it a day. Much less abstract than noise, much less to do with what I am saying with listening.
oZiris
Hard Panning

Post by oZiris »

Number one dislike and complete turn off (not that I really like to harp on the negatives, but lately...)

A charlatan masquerading as a noise artist only to discredit and talk shit about 95% of the artists in that genre & scene (for over a decade). Fuck authoritarians and their divide and conquer bullshit! I can feel however I want about an artist or album but I’m intelligent enough to know more noise artists preforming & recording is a plus for the entire genre.

It’s funny how the number one way this personality type promotes their own relevancy is looking for the flaws of other artists instead of trying to really improve their own technical skills, recordings, & live sets. Talking shit & baiting arguments, so you can play the victim. To further some misogynistic stereotype. What makes noise such a unique genre in the current era; you are judged internationally on your recordings & performances. Not on your cult of personality-disorder. Please tell us all how it’s supposed to sound. I’m positive those rules & labels have yielded an endless creative well for you. Right?

RedNecks in Neo-Liberal collars
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Tinnitustimulus wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:19 pm Also, noise with lyrics? Are you talking about Power Electronics? I can just say I dont like most power electronics and call it a day. Much less abstract than noise, much less to do with what I am saying with listening.
But who says that power electronics even needs to have lyrics? I recall reading reviews of 90s Merzbow where they call what he is doing "power electronics."
Tinnitustimulus
C20

I did not say anything about power electronics not having lyrics, Im talking about noise having lyrics. Instead, perhaps you could find the lyrics to I Will Lead You To Glorious Times. I cant make them out quite well but my one of my fave merzbow tracks. I cant think any others with lyrics. Is that PE? i dont know but it would have been a better argument, if thats what you wanted to do with me.

Also what power electronics was in early nineties is different than what it is now. Tellus Cassette Power Electronics Compilation from 1986 Power Electronics has a very broad range of things where I think the term fitted easier than noise at the time. Merzbow was probably the only noisey thing on that compilation. Things are very much put prettily into boxes now.

None of this are things I hate btw
+hp+
Hard Panning

Post by +hp+ »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:02 pm I like edgy stuff too... Why don't we see intestines and exploding heads in anime anymore?!

MAKE ANIME GORY AGAIN!
i like your posts and point of view
Cementimental
Hard Panning

Post by Cementimental »

Tapes with one side much shorter than the other so you have to FFW for like 5 mins to get to the beginning again (tho have been responsible for one or two of these myself)

One sided tapes... what's even the point? Especially if pro-dubbed, it's not even cheaper! Just put the same material on both sides, or backwards on the B side or something, or do a split!
cementimental.bandcamp.com - harsh Noise, rough music and circuit bending since 2000ad
disgustingcathedral.bandcamp.com - Dungeon Noise
isntses.bandcamp.com - Intergalactic noise/music
isntses.etsy.com - Psychogeographic noise synths
Cementimental
Hard Panning

Post by Cementimental »

PE live visuals with default windows movie maker 'old film' effect over random war footage from the internet, and without any black leader at the end, so you see their desktop and gmail just as they're nearly finished the last track :D
cementimental.bandcamp.com - harsh Noise, rough music and circuit bending since 2000ad
disgustingcathedral.bandcamp.com - Dungeon Noise
isntses.bandcamp.com - Intergalactic noise/music
isntses.etsy.com - Psychogeographic noise synths
+hp+
Hard Panning

Post by +hp+ »

Cementimental wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:20 pm PE live visuals with default windows movie maker 'old film' effect over random war footage from the internet, and without any black leader at the end, so you see their desktop and gmail just as they're nearly finished the last track :D
oh my god this made me laugh so hard! YOU DONT LIKE THAT? im cakcling
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Cementimental wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:17 pm Tapes with one side much shorter than the other so you have to FFW for like 5 mins to get to the beginning again (tho have been responsible for one or two of these myself)

One sided tapes... what's even the point? Especially if pro-dubbed, it's not even cheaper! Just put the same material on both sides, or backwards on the B side or something, or do a split!
Yes on both of these, especially the single-sided tapes. It feels like such a waste.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

Tinnitustimulus wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:26 pm Im talking about noise having lyrics.
And indeed the lyrics go deep. Take the pinnacle of all lyrical expression within the milieu of noise-

Daddy, take a banana, tomorrow's Sunday!

Let us contemplate, deeply, what the banana represents. Indeed, "tomorrow" they say, as though such arbitrary temporal markers were relevant where the father figure is concerned. The "taking", in and of itself, would seem to symbolize a host of abject idiosyncrasies of the sort I would scarcely bear to bring into the exceedingly complex equation. Frankly, I'm still stuck on the banana.

That said, I tend to feel, glimmerings of suggestions of meanings may be born when one might observe the principal purveyors in action. Observe as, first, The Mikawa begins delivering the Words Of Wisdom. Soon to be followed by Junko. Note, too, how, when Hiroshige starts to comprehend the deep expression there is a moment when, the King Of Noise, bowled over in precise and preordained genuflection, represents the True Will of The Noise. At which point, Junko steps up, and kicks the King in the ass.
Fire of the Mind
Contact Mic

Post by Fire of the Mind »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:02 pm I like edgy stuff too... Why don't we see intestines and exploding heads in anime anymore?!

MAKE ANIME GORY AGAIN!
Revenger's début episode had some promising retro blood spray, and of course last season's Chainsaw Man got exquisitely disgusting in places, so I wouldn't say gonzo anime gore is a dead art by any means.
thedemonfeedback666 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:43 pm It's nice to see people being honest in here about what they hate. But if you take away all the blood, edgy-ness, murder, corpses, rape, war, gore, bad vibes, acting insane onstage, etc. then I find noise to be kinda boring. It would be like listening to death metal without those themes. Or going to a horror movie, and instead getting a lecture by some church lady as to why we're all naughty for being there lol
Y'know, I don't entirely disagree, but I think that has less to do with "edgy" content than the content being something which can evoke a strong emotional reaction, period, or at the very least provoke thought in some interesting (ideally disquieting or challenging) directions. Something, for lack of a better word, powerful. You can shortcut these reactions with pure shock, naturally, but that's only one possible way to do it. And it's very easy to miss that mark!
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Fire of the Mind wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:10 am

MAKE ANIME GORY AGAIN!
Revenger's début episode had some promising retro blood spray, and of course last season's Chainsaw Man got exquisitely disgusting in places, so I wouldn't say gonzo anime gore is a dead art by any means.
I haven't seen it yet, though Chainsaw Man comes highly recommended from a reliable source. Maybe I'll set aside the time to watch it. I knew from advertisements it either had to be really good or really bad.
SafetyPropaganda
Contact Mic

Post by SafetyPropaganda »

number one turn off is hot topic mall noise. if you'd like me to explain I will but I think most people understand what I mean.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

SafetyPropaganda wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:03 am number one turn off is hot topic mall noise. if you'd like me to explain I will but I think most people understand what I mean.
Do go on.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

SafetyPropaganda wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:03 am number one turn off is hot topic mall noise. if you'd like me to explain I will but I think most people understand what I mean.
What, like nkondi?

(Just teasing. I like nkondi a lot).
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:30 pm
What, like nkondi?

(Just teasing. I like nkondi a lot).
I like em too, but that don't mean they don't deserve it!
Tribe Tapes
Thrashmaster

Post by Tribe Tapes »

At first glance I read this as "hot topic wall noise", but that could be more than halfway to what you had in mind already...
December Man
C20

Post by December Man »

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:50 am
Do go on.
I've been checking this over and over because I really want this to be explained.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

December Man wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:02 pm
Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:50 am
Do go on.
I've been checking this over and over because I really want this to be explained.
I was thinking there might be an implied and perhaps semi-ironic critique of certain (perceived) approaches within industrial-adjacent fields of sound, semi-ironic as far as how potential constructs of "industrial" might be seen to inflect. (And I say perceived as a bail out because all joking aside I'm not really ready to assume anything on behalf of say the nkondis of the world. Though, all joking up front, I'm still sure they'd still deserve it!)
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Didn’t know Hot Topic still existed. The last time I saw it used as a pejorative term for what young people were doing was at least 10 years ago. Longer still since a mention of nkondi.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Lots of interesting observations! I was also checking back incessantly and am relieved to finally see some replies, if only from others speculating or attempting to answer on behalf of SafetyPropaganda

The wall/mall mix up definitely does suggest an obvious conclusion. I'm not trying to give socially inept weirdos aping The Rita a little bit too egregiously a hard time, but talk about taking cliches to the extreme!

I think, however perverse, it is a great compliment to Sam Mckinlay that he has created an environment so many people want to inhabit and embody (giving the benefit of the doubt to most of these people). He did all the leg work there (no pun intended).
Tribe Tapes
Thrashmaster

Post by Tribe Tapes »

Off-topic from the hot-topic at hand, I think it’s interesting seeing the amount of projects that have taken direct influence (or direct plagiarism?) from The Rita. Thinking about how Sunn O))) began as an “Earth tribute band”.

Maybe it’s how ham-fisted some of the Rita clones can be, that makes me appreciate Satatuhatta’s epic “The Räty” so much more. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, but rooting tongue-in-cheek speaks volumes.