Cut Up

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
futuristeprimitif
Contact Mic

Re: Cut Up

Post by futuristeprimitif »

oi folks
this is more gear-related
wanted to ask around and leave a bit of breadcrumbs for other fellow people who might be interested in ultrafast cut up shit for the future ~~

i recently made a custom build clone of the klassik kazomuto endo cut up switcher (that gen.thalz does a version of as well) - and was wondering if anyone has this piece of gear and has any idea on upgrading it for future generations. as i needed to dig for like 10 years to find out what that fucking joystick actually does on the videos.

for troubleshooting/"security" reasons i installed a master out (a mono jack) for cases if everything goes to shit, it is a surprisingly good addition to the main functions if already can do.
beside using it as a master out, you can basically use it as an fx send if you sacrifice an input channel, which is also cool - makes the sound a bit phased, but i mean, oh well, if your mixer broke down or something, this is a good solution.
was wondering about the other way around as well, one input that you can send to 4 different outputs sounds good too, and you dont need to add another splitter in front of your signal chain.

if this doesnt get too much replies, i dont mind, its fairly specific to a piece of gear, i guess
TYHJP
Contact Mic

Post by TYHJP »

futuristeprimitif wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:41 am oi folks
this is more gear-related
wanted to ask around and leave a bit of breadcrumbs for other fellow people who might be interested in ultrafast cut up shit for the future ~~

i recently made a custom build clone of the klassik kazomuto endo cut up switcher (that gen.thalz does a version of as well) - and was wondering if anyone has this piece of gear and has any idea on upgrading it for future generations. as i needed to dig for like 10 years to find out what that fucking joystick actually does on the videos.

for troubleshooting/"security" reasons i installed a master out (a mono jack) for cases if everything goes to shit, it is a surprisingly good addition to the main functions if already can do.
beside using it as a master out, you can basically use it as an fx send if you sacrifice an input channel, which is also cool - makes the sound a bit phased, but i mean, oh well, if your mixer broke down or something, this is a good solution.
was wondering about the other way around as well, one input that you can send to 4 different outputs sounds good too, and you dont need to add another splitter in front of your signal chain.

if this doesnt get too much replies, i dont mind, its fairly specific to a piece of gear, i guess
i've also been working on a Kazumoto inspired joystick mixer/switcher and it's really been a pain in the ass, hah. Like how can it be so friggin hard to mute a signal and have zero bleed. My current version has 4 preamp channels that can be routed 4 to 4, 4 to 1, 1 to 4 etc.. For the next version I'll be testing buffered signal splitting and a bunch of different muting circuits.
garrison_keillor
Contact Mic

Post by garrison_keillor »

futuristeprimitif wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:41 am that fucking joystick
TYHJP wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:35 pm i've also been working on a Kazumoto inspired joystick mixer/switcher
What joysticks are you using/where did you get them? I haven't looked around all that much but from what I've seen all the joysticks that I would actually want to build something with seem way more expensive than they need to be.
James Thompson
C20

Post by James Thompson »

hey i thought i'd try one of those joysticks you're all talking about but my one seems weird somehow

futuristeprimitif
Contact Mic

garrison_keillor wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:05 pm
futuristeprimitif wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:41 am that fucking joystick
TYHJP wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:35 pm i've also been working on a Kazumoto inspired joystick mixer/switcher
What joysticks are you using/where did you get them? I haven't looked around all that much but from what I've seen all the joysticks that I would actually want to build something with seem way more expensive than they need to be.
its a heavy duty mechanical one. i'll try to find the exact type. mine has no bleed - but also, im running all the distortion before the switcher, from the outputs its definetly dead silent. also, this one has no preamps what so ever, works just fine for me.

was also thinking the other day, making a version of this one as a one input, one output and 4 fx loops version, could be fun too, for a smaller setup. perhaps one with that has matrix switching in it, so you can even mix the loops ins and outs as serial connections - but im getting way ahead of myself again.
futuristeprimitif
Contact Mic

oh yeah, heres some hints if anyones interested, hope im not snitching on the noise biz!!
TYHJP
Contact Mic

Post by TYHJP »

[/quote]

its a heavy duty mechanical one. i'll try to find the exact type. mine has no bleed - but also, im running all the distortion before the switcher, from the outputs its definetly dead silent. also, this one has no preamps what so ever, works just fine for me.

was also thinking the other day, making a version of this one as a one input, one output and 4 fx loops version, could be fun too, for a smaller setup. perhaps one with that has matrix switching in it, so you can even mix the loops ins and outs as serial connections - but im getting way ahead of myself again.
[/quote]

Oscillating eurorack filters seem to go through walls, hah.

I've also thought about adding a matrix switcher/mixer. Or just a panning mixer at the end. And fx inserts, but that would mean even more cable hell...
futuristeprimitif
Contact Mic

okay, rethought my last comment

i guess there are preamps for the channels. to be perfectly honest, im not the hotshot who designed the circuit, i just dabble into the topic, a guy who builds my pedals did the job - but i had big input on how and what it should do and what components he should use for the gear itself

the matrix switchbay (a switching patchbay?) could easily solve a hundred routing options for sure for a live setup
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Has anyone tried to do cutup with a sequencer?
futuristeprimitif
Contact Mic

SS1535 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:32 am Has anyone tried to do cutup with a sequencer?
yes
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

futuristeprimitif wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:28 am
SS1535 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:32 am Has anyone tried to do cutup with a sequencer?
yes
What was your setup? How did it work?
futuristeprimitif
Contact Mic

well theres a bunch of methods to use a sequencer to produce noise, but a lot depends on what kind of sequencer you use for what setup of course.
i used a lot of shit over ther years. the sequencer of an elektron machinedrum, standalone sequencers, eurorack sequencers, sample&hold modules as sequencers, different sources to trigger sequencers too, even no input mixers, which are a lot of fun.

to be straight forward with an approach, i guess is the most obvious to make varying, somewhat unpredictable or just plain random sequences is to go with a device that has a sequencer and sound options built in - like i dont know, an elektron model:samples is on my desk so lets go with that (for anyone not knowing what it is - a sample based groovebox kinda thingy)
lets say i want to do insane cutup noise using it (as we are in this topic): you use one track of the gear, use a noise track you like (your own recording, or i dont know, like a kazumoto endo track?), punch in random steps, use the LFO on random setting with max depth, route it to the starting point of the sample, turn the sample start to a random part in the middle of the track (so the LFO can go both ways - forward and backward too), and kablam, if you press play, the sequencer is running and theres random cutups on every single step.

or lets say something way easier soundwise, something non-cutup, that can be done on a (semi-)modular setup, or even a behringer crave (as this is something i used to do on a moog dfam)
tempo of the sequencer maxed out, so all the notes in a seqence blend together. white noise as an oscillator source, and sample&hold for the filter so it has some dynamics.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

In eurorack, one can look at a sequencer like the Voltage Block as an intelligent chaotic/random burst generator when using a random/irregular clock source and random sequence patterning in order to trigger or CV modulate a variety of things.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

futuristeprimitif wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:14 am well theres a bunch of methods to use a sequencer to produce noise, but a lot depends on what kind of sequencer you use for what setup of course.
i used a lot of shit over ther years. the sequencer of an elektron machinedrum, standalone sequencers, eurorack sequencers, sample&hold modules as sequencers, different sources to trigger sequencers too, even no input mixers, which are a lot of fun.

to be straight forward with an approach, i guess is the most obvious to make varying, somewhat unpredictable or just plain random sequences is to go with a device that has a sequencer and sound options built in - like i dont know, an elektron model:samples is on my desk so lets go with that (for anyone not knowing what it is - a sample based groovebox kinda thingy)
lets say i want to do insane cutup noise using it (as we are in this topic): you use one track of the gear, use a noise track you like (your own recording, or i dont know, like a kazumoto endo track?), punch in random steps, use the LFO on random setting with max depth, route it to the starting point of the sample, turn the sample start to a random part in the middle of the track (so the LFO can go both ways - forward and backward too), and kablam, if you press play, the sequencer is running and theres random cutups on every single step.

or lets say something way easier soundwise, something non-cutup, that can be done on a (semi-)modular setup, or even a behringer crave (as this is something i used to do on a moog dfam)
tempo of the sequencer maxed out, so all the notes in a seqence blend together. white noise as an oscillator source, and sample&hold for the filter so it has some dynamics.
Thanks!
James Thompson
C20

Post by James Thompson »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:11 am In eurorack, one can look at a sequencer like the Voltage Block as an intelligent chaotic/random burst generator when using a random/irregular clock source and random sequence patterning in order to trigger or CV modulate a variety of things.
this is really interesting, it's something i hadn't considered trying before. just made a little sketch in vcv rack playing around with this idea - it's nothing much yet, but fun to see a concept and try building a quick and dirty version of it.

ty for sharing the idea!
TYHJP
Contact Mic

Post by TYHJP »

I've done some with sp303 and the Korg sq-1. Great results with sq-1 ramdom pattern midi -> sampler.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

TYHJP wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:42 am
I've done some with sp303 and the Korg sq-1. Great results with sq-1 ramdom pattern midi -> sampler.
The SQ-1 is what I have, and the random pattern seems to work very well for this sort of thing. Putting it into a sampler is a very good idea!
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

Speaking of cut-up... this new Viodre and A Fail Association collab tape is pretty pretty good...

I love how side B is so vocal-heavy... completely unexpected and done so well.
Tinnitustimulus
C20

Post by Tinnitustimulus »

James Thompson wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:08 pm
Bubble-Congeries wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:11 am In eurorack, one can look at a sequencer like the Voltage Block as an intelligent chaotic/random burst generator when using a random/irregular clock source and random sequence patterning in order to trigger or CV modulate a variety of things.
this is really interesting, it's something i hadn't considered trying before. just made a little sketch in vcv rack playing around with this idea - it's nothing much yet, but fun to see a concept and try building a quick and dirty version of it.

ty for sharing the idea!
My fav is Nonlinear Circuits 8-Bit Cipher. I have tried so many other ways of doing it (Rungler, Turing Machines, etc) but it just has my favorite sense of timing if that makes sense. I really only apply it with Chaotic Attractors and/or Simpliciter grid slices though.
Bigsby
Contact Mic

Post by Bigsby »

[media] [/media]