Prurient thread

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
oZiris
Hard Panning

Re: Prurient thread

Post by oZiris »

Was lucky enough to see Prurient (with the long hair) opening for Xiu Xiu on the Women as Lovers tour. Show was crazy good and have been a supporter since. Love the diversity in the output, and am pretty well versed in the Vatican Shadow catalog as well.

To this day Bermuda Drain is still my favorite release from the project.
dust
Contact Mic

Post by dust »

Ineffable Slime wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:47 am the Bermuda Drain release show with Wes Eisold playing with Dom was really sick,it captured the energy he was trying to do on the record. I think at the time people perceived it as a "change" in the sound versus a one off experiment, in the long run it's just an oddity in the discography that has a few jammers but also kinda dated sounding.
21st century rev and vega vibes, woulda been cool to see live but the record is kinda goofy
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

I personally think that Prurient and associated projects have released some of the most dogshit quality noise ever with the most hideous artwork, boring "concepts," and lackluster execution. I think him turning Hospital Productions into a Relapse Records or SubPop of the noise world is really funny, maybe even something good for the genre even if I don't like most of what he is releasing.

Someone told me once that Dom super-drunk accosted Loke Rahbek (overlord of radio-ready Danish fortune 500 record label Posh Isolation) for "copying" him, which seems like the funniest scenario in the world to be a fly on the wall and witness.

That being said, the Editions Mego album "Arrowhead" is excellent and exactly what I like! Some of the old school videos of him performing are really cool, also. I feel like he had to make the turn to pretentious big business tech-noise or retire, because that level of performance is hardly sustainable on a quality-level or stamina level for too long.
My Face, Her Knee Pads
Contact Mic

Post by My Face, Her Knee Pads »

I was really obsessed with Prurient for a while, but then I started to sense something emotionally artificial in the project. It's like he tries too hard to express certain emotions, and the consequence is that he ends up expressing caricatures of those emotions. I find that art is more emotionally compelling when it isn't trying to be - projects like Prurient, Cremation Lily, and Croatian Amor try to be emotionally compelling, I think, and that kind of ruins them for me.
Often laughed at or formally complained about.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Something about these last 2 comments touches on an important point which I think I've grappled with also. The emotive wash found in Prurient and stylistically similar projects is a difficult thing to want to listen to repeatedly. I hate to draw upon such a boring truth but there comes a point for many of us when one feels a bit grown out of these things. There was a time in my life when I wanted to see and hear music made by pouting men on the verge of tears but that time has probably passed for good now. Each to their own, of course, but as a listener I struggle badly to connect with music coming from such a narrow set of aesthetic dynamics. As with any number of stock noise/PE garden variety images I have no idea how anyone can sustain that form of presentation past their twenties. I guess at a certain stage, though not for everyone, you're talking about people using music as an outlet for emotional and mental struggles and I'd never try to deny anyone that. Just isn't something I can relate to very much, as with any kind of music (or literature) which throws all its eggs in the basket of being an accurate depiction of real life situations the artist is in. No thanks.
ChicagoAnimal wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:59 pm Someone told me once that Dom super-drunk accosted Loke Rahbek (overlord of radio-ready Danish fortune 500 record label Posh Isolation) for "copying" him, which seems like the funniest scenario in the world to be a fly on the wall and witness.
Yeah I'd pay more money to see this than I would the entire Hospital back catalogue. And there's some shit I really want in there. As absurd and pathetic as the situation is from an objective point of view, there's also no denying that Fernow kind of has a reasonable point here, which makes it even funnier.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

have you guys heard that story about fall out boy & prurient?

as far as the project goes, i like a lot of his stuff, including the somewhat wimpy synth heavy stuff he's released under the name. he's a real artist and not just a "noise dude" i think, capable of many different styles and moods and executes everything flawlessly. some might see this as a negative, but to me he's like the cure of noise or something, combining underground credibility with a more polished mainstream appeal, if such a thing can be said of noise. but i'm a sadboi at heart, so i can relate to that shit. he maybe needs an editor or something, idk.

i'd love to buy so many special hospital releases, but no way am i paying that much for them. also some of the special packaging seems a bit half assed maybe? especially considering the price. but if he can live off or at least get some of his income from making and releasing weird music in 2023, more power to him.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

Residual / RT wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:38 am have you guys heard that story about fall out boy & prurient?

as far as the project goes, i like a lot of his stuff, including the somewhat wimpy synth heavy stuff he's released under the name. he's a real artist and not just a "noise dude" i think, capable of many different styles and moods and executes everything flawlessly. some might see this as a negative, but to me he's like the cure of noise or something, combining underground credibility with a more polished mainstream appeal, if such a thing can be said of noise. but i'm a sadboi at heart, so i can relate to that shit. he maybe needs an editor or something, idk.

i'd love to buy so many special hospital releases, but no way am i paying that much for them. also some of the special packaging seems a bit half assed maybe? especially considering the price. but if he can live off or at least get some of his income from making and releasing weird music in 2023, more power to him.
I think he needs a chord book, tbh.

I think people getting rich off noise is awesome, if you can do it and even if your noise or noise-adjacent music is bad.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Residual / RT wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:38 am have you guys heard that story about fall out boy & prurient?
Do tell!
Parthenon_23
Contact Mic

Post by Parthenon_23 »

33033 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:59 pm
Do tell!
That's some real cruelty, right there! ;)
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

33033 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:59 pm
Do tell!
You can't tease like that here, please make with the details immediately!
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

e:
Last edited by Residual / RT on Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

I hate that I even know this, but I believe the stolen lyrics thing is about Cold Cave. Wes Eisold had a case against that guy for plagiarism which he won or got settlement over. No idea about whether or not yer man from that other band had some relationship to Prurient in the old days. It would genuinely not surprise me if a FOB/Prurient collaboration took place one day.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

adult human wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:18 am I hate that I even know this, but I believe the stolen lyrics thing is about Cold Cave. Wes Eisold had a case against that guy for plagiarism which he won or got settlement over. No idea about whether or not yer man from that other band had some relationship to Prurient in the old days. It would genuinely not surprise me if a FOB/Prurient collaboration took place one day.
Well shit, I was told the story that it was Prurient who received the compensation! The story isn't even funny with Cold Cave, since they're just a synth pop band.

Now that I googled it it does certainly seem it was Cold Cave, not Prurient who Fall Out Boy stole lyrics from.

Sorry for spreading false information.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

FROZEN NIAGRA FALLOUT BOY
Molena
C20

Post by Molena »

memory repeating is one of my all time faves and women pissing is a good one too.

i first became aware of prurient in 2005 when i helped run sound for a gig in leeds and he blew most of the speakers in the first five minutes apart from one which was dragged onto the stage and was still really fucking loud and sounded better in my humble opinion.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Molena wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:17 am i first became aware of prurient in 2005 when i helped run sound for a gig in leeds and he blew most of the speakers in the first five minutes apart from one which was dragged onto the stage and was still really fucking loud and sounded better in my humble opinion.
Was this the same time Emil Beaulieau came through? I missed out on all those shows by probably about 6 months worth of awareness RE: a UK underground that actually hosted live shows from visiting artists and it'll always be such a sore point for me.

A story I've heard from either this jaunt or one very near to it in time. A low key, perhaps privately advertised show was organised in Eastbourne as more of an end of tour party than proper gig and was hosted in this lock up owned by a guy who had built his own custom sound system. The owner was a huge reggae fan and only ever used the system to spin his own records but it was apparently ultra high spec and could be pushed to utterly unreasonable volumes for the small size of the space. This was, of course, capitalised upon for the gig and I'm told it was so horribly loud during the Prurient set that people's shirts were moving around and the room was shaking. Emil Beaulieau apparently told the gig organiser that it was the only time he had ever seen Dom smile during a performance.
Molena
C20

Post by Molena »

adult human wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:40 am
Molena wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:17 am i first became aware of prurient in 2005 when i helped run sound for a gig in leeds and he blew most of the speakers in the first five minutes apart from one which was dragged onto the stage and was still really fucking loud and sounded better in my humble opinion.
Was this the same time Emil Beaulieau came through? I missed out on all those shows by probably about 6 months worth of awareness RE: a UK underground that actually hosted live shows from visiting artists and it'll always be such a sore point for me
yes it was the same time, the shows where at the brudenell social club. emil beaulieau's set was him singing and very little noise as i seem to recall he had some kind of equipment failure. jessica rylan's can't also played and was a great set.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Been getting really into Shrimp Crescent these last few days. Just youtube/mp3 rips, I don't have the cassette. It's one of the short run, short length supplemental cassette releases, the type of which was often released between big proper albums for tours and so on but surely not limited to just those reasons. I can see myself about to start going down a big rabbit hole for similar releases because there is an utterly deranged lofi damage to this release and others like it I've heard that is fascinating. Noise as a thoroughly non-compositional, rough edged, highly imperfect pursuit. It's not about a fun, pleasant experience, though plenty of people will find it highly satisfying to listen to. It contains enough of what you'd expect from an artist like Prurient. Instantly recognisable I'd say - feedback, muffled screams etc - but then there are also sudden jolts in EQ, sounding like a speaker being pulled out from under a bed sheet then put back a minute later. The more traditionally amplified, classically harsh, distorted sounds are frequently dominated by tactile sounds overdriven via clipping and probably dragging a mic through various objects rather than processing via pedals or overdriven amps. Even some very upfront, naked vocals which range from spoken word tracts to very unusual non verbal noises: hissing, croaking, gurgling. Not screaming and bellowing as you'd expect. I'll not call this the hidden connection between Prurient and Henri Chopin but it's still not something I recall hearing in his work previously.

I've been a fairly vocal critic of Prurient over the years because a lot of what the project does comes off as laughable to me, however releases like this are exactly why I'll always contend he remains such an important, brilliant artist regardless of these personal opinions. The guy's interpretation of what noise is or should be as an art form is spot on when it comes to what these types of work represent. It truly feels like something utterly separate to music of almost any other form - entirely driven by deeply obscure ideas and motivations which elevate the end result to an artistic object or statement far beyond that of a mere audio work. And yet the whole time it is firmly rooted in a recognisably DIY, underground industrial culture in which he has carved out such a distinct aesthetic niche, with clear links to works past and future. You could spend long, long hours and days of your life deeply examining and trying to unpack Prurient as a project, even just from this mid-late 00s period. I'm bought to mind of his interview in Night Science and how clearly this recording fits in with the methodologies he describes in that, or Chris Sienko's reviews of his albums in ALAP (I forget which, sorry - Arrowhead?). Yeah, definitely headed down that rabbithole right...NOW.
December Man
C20

Post by December Man »

adult human wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:14 am Been getting really into Shrimp Crescent these last few days. Just youtube/mp3 rips, I don't have the cassette. It's one of the short run, short length supplemental cassette releases, the type of which was often released between big proper albums for tours and so on but surely not limited to just those reasons. I can see myself about to start going down a big rabbit hole for similar releases because there is an utterly deranged lofi damage to this release and others like it I've heard that is fascinating. Noise as a thoroughly non-compositional, rough edged, highly imperfect pursuit. It's not about a fun, pleasant experience, though plenty of people will find it highly satisfying to listen to. It contains enough of what you'd expect from an artist like Prurient. Instantly recognisable I'd say - feedback, muffled screams etc - but then there are also sudden jolts in EQ, sounding like a speaker being pulled out from under a bed sheet then put back a minute later. The more traditionally amplified, classically harsh, distorted sounds are frequently dominated by tactile sounds overdriven via clipping and probably dragging a mic through various objects rather than processing via pedals or overdriven amps. Even some very upfront, naked vocals which range from spoken word tracts to very unusual non verbal noises: hissing, croaking, gurgling. Not screaming and bellowing as you'd expect. I'll not call this the hidden connection between Prurient and Henri Chopin but it's still not something I recall hearing in his work previously.

I've been a fairly vocal critic of Prurient over the years because a lot of what the project does comes off as laughable to me, however releases like this are exactly why I'll always contend he remains such an important, brilliant artist regardless of these personal opinions. The guy's interpretation of what noise is or should be as an art form is spot on when it comes to what these types of work represent. It truly feels like something utterly separate to music of almost any other form - entirely driven by deeply obscure ideas and motivations which elevate the end result to an artistic object or statement far beyond that of a mere audio work. And yet the whole time it is firmly rooted in a recognisably DIY, underground industrial culture in which he has carved out such a distinct aesthetic niche, with clear links to works past and future. You could spend long, long hours and days of your life deeply examining and trying to unpack Prurient as a project, even just from this mid-late 00s period. I'm bought to mind of his interview in Night Science and how clearly this recording fits in with the methodologies he describes in that, or Chris Sienko's reviews of his albums in ALAP (I forget which, sorry - Arrowhead?). Yeah, definitely headed down that rabbithole right...NOW.
Split with Grunt, African Division, and to a lesser extent Despiritualized & Of The Memories Of Friends have a similar atmosphere (IIRC all of them are on Spotify, if not YouTube). I have a love/hate relationship with Prurient and Hospital Prod. but the more sketchbook-type releases that live on the very abstract edge of PE/Industrial are really something special.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

December Man wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:33 am I have a love/hate relationship with Prurient and Hospital Prod. but the more sketchbook-type releases that live on the very abstract edge of PE/Industrial are really something special.
Great summary. Agree on some of those other titles you cited. I'd also say Point and Void captures a lot of this spirit too. Very damaged sound, lots of different things going on, all of them very home made and scrappy in the best ways.
December Man
C20

Post by December Man »

adult human wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:04 pm
December Man wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:33 am I have a love/hate relationship with Prurient and Hospital Prod. but the more sketchbook-type releases that live on the very abstract edge of PE/Industrial are really something special.
Great summary. Agree on some of those other titles you cited. I'd also say Point and Void captures a lot of this spirit too. Very damaged sound, lots of different things going on, all of them very home made and scrappy in the best ways.
Thanks, I always wrote off Point and Void as being too early in the catalog for my tastes but I took it for a spin and it does hit.
Thomas_B
Contact Mic

Post by Thomas_B »

yullowteef wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:45 am Haven't seen a lot of love for Rainbow Mirror in this thread and I'm curious why that is? I bought the 7xLP boxset when it was released and enjoyed the experience of just grabbing a random LP from the box and spending time with different parts of the album instead of listening sequentially. One of his best, in my opinion.
Rainbow Mirror is a stand-out but I definitely prefer Prurient’s more digestible releases and not the epic length things. Washed Against The Rocks 7” on Handmade Birds, Unknown Rains CS on Hospital, Palm Tree Corpse 3CS on Hospital/12” on Tesco, those are among my faves. I am very stoked about the new dbl CS w/ vocal contributions from Richard Dunn/ffh that was just announced.