Writer's welcome

Dedicated reviews section. All writers welcome.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Writer's welcome

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

No review, just a comment.

Thought I'd wager a thought as to why there were few "reviews" coming, as perhaps to do with the psychological barrier that accompanies the necessity of declaring oneself a "writer" (with all accompanying baggage).

The foil of course is the eternal and never to be under-appraised "now playing" thread(s). The safer of the bets.
Kenny
Thrashmaster

Re: Writer's welcome

Post by Kenny »

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:45 am No review, just a comment.

Thought I'd wager a thought as to why there were few "reviews" coming, as perhaps to do with the psychological barrier that accompanies the necessity of declaring oneself a "writer" (with all accompanying baggage).

The foil of course is the eternal and never to be under-appraised "now playing" thread(s). The safer of the bets.
I got some writing skills .."I like this, sounds a bit like (invariably Endo, Sickness or Scorn).". or "this is shit"
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

Kenny wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:48 pm I got some writing skills .."I like this, sounds a bit like (invariably Endo, Sickness or Scorn).". or "this is shit"
Poetry!

I'm now tempted to end every commentary with, "All that said, it's really not so different from what Merzbow was doing thirty years ago."
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Thinking about this today. I'd love to see more reviews written by just about anyone, as there seems to be only a literal handful of people doing them across the entirety of the noise world. I'd like to be a more active contributor myself, but I'm always juggling things and finding the time to sit down and write even a quick one isn't always possible.

So, yes, to everyone: Don't be shy. The lack of overall reviews means almost any content is going to be welcome. Everyone has their own tastes and ways of hearing and interpreting things so there is no "wrong" way to review something. Write about what you know, how it makes you feel, think about any connections the release in question might have to other releases (by the same artist or by other artists), or other works in general. Make it autobiographical, or make it purely academic. Find a nice in-between, or get really fucking out there. Just plug a tape in and go.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
theworldisawarfilm
C20

Post by theworldisawarfilm »

I've come close a few times, I guess we'll see.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

I have never written any reviews, but I have written/published a few short essays on noise music and meaning (one of which centered around Mania's "Insidious and Alone"). I'm not sure the forum would be interested in them, but I can link them if anyone is interested.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

I really like writing and will probably deeply review stuff more in the near future. Can't promise it'll be a good read, but it will be a read.
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

As the name suggests: Read & Write!
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/