Merzbow Reissue Wishlist

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Re: Merzbow Reissue Wishlist

Post by SS1535 »

I would really like to see both "Music for Bondage Performance" cds reissued.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Taurotmachine DLP and 2xCD coming in March from Relapse.

Not going to lie, the original artwork colour scheme was far more interesting. However, pretty psyched for whatever is on the extra CD.

Cloud Cock oo Grand just arrived, one of the titles I've been after for a while. Haven't had a chance to give it a spin yet.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Glad to hear about Tauromachine reissue. I can forgive the artwork simply because the original was so pixelated and would look even worse for an LP (personally only care about the CD myself anyway, though). It does feel like sort of a wasted opportunity to try something more daring/colorful while still remaining true to the original, though!
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

I don't even dislike the new art, it's pretty cute! And I'm really curious about the second disc!!
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:24 amWould also appreciate simple, high-volume (pressing quantity, that is), standard CD reissues of big-time classics like PD and Tauromachine...
Wow buddy you just got your wish on Taurotmachine!!!!!

Finally found a copy of Pinkream on discogs for like $13 with shipping and it showed up today.

Wild card for today - Metalvelodrome with a recreation of the original packaging. The Urashima version is cool and all but I wish it was a little closer to the original aesthetic. I didn't think I needed a picture of an effigy with a bunch of dildos on it but here we are?

Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Would love that too, though seeing how prickly and litigious MA has become over time (even going so far as to request the merzbow.tk forum be taken down some years back) I doubt we'll see a proper reissue of that with original art...

Happy about Tauromachine anyway. I told myself I don't care about dumb vinyl reissues, especially not dumb Relapse splatter vinyl reissues of CD-mastered, MAXED-OUT HARSH SHIT. But I ended up pre-ordering a dumb LP set and t-shirt along with the CD in an orgasmic spasm of dumdum collector scum ecstasy anyway. -_-
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Pretty excited about this Space Metalizer reissue on Urashima. Looks great. One of my favourite MZ titles/eras.

I just wish these titles weren't so limited so it wasn't a frenzy of purchasing flex but hey what can I say, I'm a lover not a fighter....
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

I was just going through some old CDs in a box in my basement and found a Merzbow track called Seishoku Titi that was recorded 4//21/95. The comp is called "Great blue thing - Various artists"

I have to see if I have a working CD player as I've never heard it and I don't think this label is active anymore.

Edit: found a link to the comp but no audio: http://www.discogs.com/release/2681680- ... lue-Thing/
DIODE SNORTER
C20

Post by DIODE SNORTER »

Pulse Demon and Venereology: unmolested.
Those remasters suck.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

I heard the latest edition of PD is supposed to be "correct", though I ended up sleeping on ordering a copy and haven't heard it myself.

Would like to reiterate my wish to see an anthology, or series of anthologies, compiling original mixes of early 5"-7" releases, and maybe a 10" anthology on CD's as well. Probably enough of each to make a tidy 2xCD set for each format for just the 1990's, maybe not including splits and collabs.

Not sure how feasible sourcing original masters would be for that, but it's something I'd be really excited to see. A CD compiling odds and ends such as one-off compilation appearances and 3" CD releases would also be stellar.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:02 pm I heard the latest edition of PD is supposed to be "correct", though I ended up sleeping on ordering a copy and haven't heard it myself.

Would like to reiterate my wish to see an anthology, or series of anthologies, compiling original mixes of early 5"-7" releases, and maybe a 10" anthology on CD's as well. Probably enough of each to make a tidy 2xCD set for each format for just the 1990's, maybe not including splits and collabs.

Not sure how feasible sourcing original masters would be for that, but it's something I'd be really excited to see. A CD compiling odds and ends such as one-off compilation appearances and 3" CD releases would also be stellar.
I really need to buy that reissue as well, but I have the OG CD, the Bludhoney reissue (with bonus cassette version), the Relapse LP reissue version... I start to have one of those "what am I doing with my life?" moments.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2130937 ... ow-Records

I always felt this was a great start - an excellent anthology of his 90's comp appearances. Definitely a great addition to any Merzbow collection.

In a perfect world I'd love to see a Relapse do a reissue of the Merzbow/Gore Beyond Necropsy LP/CD with the "Rectal Grinder" 7" tacked on. I have the LP and never picked up the CD and the 7" has always been on my want list.
puritanwaste
Hard Panning

Post by puritanwaste »

I guess these would be my top two—

Could happen: Merzbow – Live In Khabarovsk, CCCP ("I'm Proud By Rank Of The Workers")
https://www.discogs.com/release/223303- ... he-Workers

Will never happen: Reiko. A* With Merzbow, Achim Wollscheid - Coruscanto - きらめく ‎(Cass)
https://www.discogs.com/release/723465- ... 1%E3%81%8F

There are obviously others that I'm lucky enough to already have, which should probably be issued, but these are the two I just selfishly want to own without having to saw an appendage off.

The biggest problems with certain Merz reissues are how compromised they are—either missing material and having other stuff swapped out with it or material that gets compromised so that it can be pressed to wax.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

holy ghost wrote: https://www.discogs.com/release/2130937 ... ow-Records

I always felt this was a great start - an excellent anthology of his 90's comp appearances. Definitely a great addition to any Merzbow collection.
I often forget about this release. I've been aware of it forever but never purchased.

I second the frustration with all the endless compromises and "creative tweaks" that go into most Merzbow collections and reissues, by the way. Remixes and recontextualuzations are nice as extras, but not as the only attraction where uncollected/harder-to-get stuff is concerned.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:34 pmI second the frustration with all the endless compromises and "creative tweaks" that go into most Merzbow collections and reissues, by the way.
I third it!

I’m all for reasonably priced reissues to beat the discogs inflated prices on every 90’s era CD but if you’re going to have to remove tracks to please the ego of the artist might as well not bother at all….
puritanwaste
Hard Panning

Post by puritanwaste »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:34 pm
I second the frustration with all the endless compromises and "creative tweaks" that go into most Merzbow collections and reissues, by the way. Remixes and recontextualuzations are nice as extras, but not as the only attraction where uncollected/harder-to-get stuff is concerned.
Yeah, I mean at the end of the day—I don't mind the weird/modified semi-reissues IF they aren't being presented as a straight up reissue. There are plenty of weird "near-reissues" like 'Flare Blues' or some of the collections/rehashing of older material on Slowdown that are very transparent about not being reissues, but outtakes/alternate sessions/different mixes of material from when a certain album was created. However, butchering Metalvelodrome or—worse yet—fucking VENEREOLOGY and selling it off as a proper reissue is complete bullshit.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:34 pm
holy ghost wrote: https://www.discogs.com/release/2130937 ... ow-Records

I often forget about this release. I've been aware of it forever but never purchased.

I need some clarification this Bubble. The artist is changing the original imagery or meaning behind the piece and selling it as a reissue?
puritanwaste
Hard Panning

Post by puritanwaste »

luciferjonez wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:26 pm

I need some clarification this Bubble. The artist is changing the original imagery or meaning behind the piece and selling it as a reissue?
Not so much "changing the meaning," but removing tracks that have Reiko A on them and replacing them with other shit, and—in the case of Metalvelodrome—changing the imagery. Here are a couple prime examples. Compare tracklists and notes between the OG and the reissue for each—

Venereology
Original CD release: https://www.discogs.com/release/96785-M ... enereology

LP reissue from 2019: https://www.discogs.com/release/1327062 ... enereology

Metalvelodrome

Original CD release: https://www.discogs.com/release/100640- ... ivisection

CD Boxset reissue from 2019: https://www.discogs.com/release/1396285 ... lvelodrome
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Between these altered reissues and when he lost his mind about the Merzcast I am very curious about what he’s like….. and what his archives are like!!!

I think it’s also interesting when you see things like the Merzbow/Full of Hell “collaboration” and you learn he just sent them a bunch of noise tracks and they reworked them into that album. Don’t get me wrong - I love that album but it’s that what I expected.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

holy ghost wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:16 pm Between these altered reissues and when he lost his mind about the Merzcast I am very curious about what he’s like….. and what his archives are like!!!

I think it’s also interesting when you see things like the Merzbow/Full of Hell “collaboration” and you learn he just sent them a bunch of noise tracks and they reworked them into that album. Don’t get me wrong - I love that album but it’s that what I expected.
I listened to most of the Noise Extra podcast "I'm proud by Rank of the Workers (with guest G.X. Jupitter-Larsen)" which I supposed set Merzbow off? In all honesty from what I've heard thus far (Larsen's droning, dragged out story telling is fucking brutal) Larsen keeps throwing out passive jabs in Merzbows direction. On one hand I can see what M would be pissed on the other grow a pair dude and get over yourself. Not sure if Larsen eventually gets to why he's got an axe to grind but fuuuuuck this dude is one passive old punk rocker.

I did look up MB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurizio_Bianchi

I'll have to look up some of his stuff later.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

holy ghost wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:16 pm I think it’s also interesting when you see things like the Merzbow/Full of Hell “collaboration” and you learn he just sent them a bunch of noise tracks and they reworked them into that album. Don’t get me wrong - I love that album but it’s that what I expected.
There's some deathcore band from here that I think reached out to him to do a track with them probably after they heard that album...
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:02 pm I heard the latest edition of PD is supposed to be "correct", though I ended up sleeping on ordering a copy and haven't heard it myself.
Plenty of copies in stock here https://www.screamandwrithe.com/product ... -demon-cd/

I share the same sentiment as many, that if the album is going to be heavily edited with plenty of omissions: why bother at all?

With the Aqua Necromancer vinyl pressing, nothing was omitted (though the track order differs, unfortunately) and additional material is added so we dubbed it an "expanded" reissue, and I feel ok with that (it helps that the additional material is really good). I initially went into discussions with Akita on behalf of myself and Alien8 (the original label) in order to press Door Open At 8AM on vinyl in a way that would have kept the original track order and tacked the bonus material onto a bonus flexi or 7". Another label beat us to the punch and we have what we have now.

I don't like the trend as a whole, and I feel it's potentially damaging to the history made by these albums in their original canon. However, there is obviously a large portion of the noise-buying population that is fine with all of this, as evidenced by how quickly the Pulse Demon reissues sold hundreds of copies and the fact that I have a little more than 100 copies left of Aqua Necromancer out of 500+ pressed just over a year after release date. I'm sure a lot of it can be attributed simply to vinyl fetishism over anything else.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

I think most labels are doing a pretty good job with the Merzbow reissues. The Relapse ones just seem cranked out. And the Noise Matrix LP on Hospital was a touch disappointing IMHO. Just very basic graphics and layout which was surprising as Hospital did a bang up job on NOISEMBRYO reissue. I really liked Aqua Necromancer and the recent Urashima reissues have been great.

VERY excited for Space Metalizer!
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

As long as it's clearly labeled as an anniversary edition or a remastered+ I have no issues. I can appreciate the issue within the noise community or any genre that releases limited quantities. I'm on the fence with the remixing. On one hand I can appreciate the canon argument, yet as a creative I can also appreciate having something out there that maybe I wasn't happy with the recording or piece of art and technology has advanced to the point where I can go back in and adjust a piece to where I'm satisfied with the piece then fuck everyone I'm in it for my own gratification, and not to appeal to the masses.
gdu
Contact Mic

Post by gdu »

dharma
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

Great American Nude / Crash For Hi-Fi. How has this never been reissued...

Also Spiral Honey.