Soundtracks & background musics

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Soundtracks & background musics

Post by Namahs »

There are millions of cool soundtracks but I've been lately rewatching Breaking Bad and they have really good sounds going on there.

Movies, tv-series, games and what not. What are your favorites?
MaldororEstMort
C20

Re: Soundtracks & background musics

Post by MaldororEstMort »

at the top of my list would be ichi the killer and the tetsuo movies soundtracks
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Forbidden Planet by Louis & Bebe Barron. Flat out the best soundtrack of all time imo.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

33033 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:28 pm Forbidden Planet by Louis & Bebe Barron. Flat out the best soundtrack of all time imo.
This one is so great. Just absolutely perfect and so ahead of it’s time.

[basic post incoming]

I’m a real sucker for Goblin and will buy almost anything from their “classic years” (I do not get down with the “two Goblins” all that much). I especially love the synth funk of “Tenebre”!!

I’m also HUGE into J Carpenter and I love his soundtrack work and I love those albums he cuts with his son and godson. The first two had great moments and the third one absolutely FUCKS. Like just a solid album from start to finish. I try to keep up with the reissues but they’re always so limited so I’m thankful Sacred Bones did those re-recordings of his classic scores just to have handy.

I also love ZOMBI and think everything up to and including Shape Shift is perfect I try to keep up with Steve Moores soundtrack work but there’s definitely a few I’ve missed.
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

the first two that come to mind are "Phantasm" by Myrow and Seagrave, and "The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three" by Shire - listened to that one for a long time before I understood he was basing it off twelve-tone patterns, a lot of harmonic interest but not so focused on academia / showboating that it isn't still tasty as hell.

"Shock Waves" from 1977 has some great tracks on it, lots of good tones wrangled from some basic synth gear.

another good one if you can track it down (I think it's only available as a grey market download) is the score for "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things". More synth & tape manipulation alongside normal instruments.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

holy ghost wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:41 pm
33033 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:28 pm Forbidden Planet by Louis & Bebe Barron. Flat out the best soundtrack of all time imo.

[basic post incoming]

I’m a real sucker for Goblin and will buy almost anything from their “classic years” (I do not get down with the “two Goblins” all that much). I especially love the synth funk of “Tenebre”!!

I’m also HUGE into J Carpenter and I love his soundtrack work and I love those albums he cuts with his son and godson. The first two had great moments and the third one absolutely FUCKS. Like just a solid album from start to finish. I try to keep up with the reissues but they’re always so limited so I’m thankful Sacred Bones did those re-recordings of his classic scores just to have handy.

I also love ZOMBI and think everything up to and including Shape Shift is perfect I try to keep up with Steve Moores soundtrack work but there’s definitely a few I’ve missed.
Saw Goblin and Carpenter live some years ago.
Goblin played "Dawn Of The Dead" soundtrack over the movie. Carpenter did pieces through his career. Different but cool shows.
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

holy ghost wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:41 pm

[basic post incoming]

I love the Goblin soundtracks as well, Fabio Frizzi's too.

I think Zombi took a bad turn after "Shape Shift" and actually, so did Majeure, which is huge bummer for me.

Regarding soundtracks, some of my favourite ones would be Angst's by Klaus Schulze because I remember discovering the film when it wasn't available anywhere and still really obscure, and it just blew my mind, I love Akira's too, and Turkey Shoot's.
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Remi wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:41 amI think Zombi took a bad turn after "Shape Shift" and actually, so did Majeure, which is huge bummer for me.
I did not really love 2020 and kind of wrote it off as “a grower” but I listened yesterday and it’s not really growing on me the way I’d hoped. I thought Shape Shift was one of their best albums - also really loved Animal Magnetism and Escape Velocity as well. I don’t need them to do the Goblin/Carpenter worship but yeah I agree the last few have been hit of miss. And I know 2020 had a real Blue Öyster Cult vibe and I am a HUGE BOC fan but it just didn’t work for me.

I actually didn’t even pick up the last LP with the fish on the cover.
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

holy ghost wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:45 am
Remi wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:41 amI think Zombi took a bad turn after "Shape Shift" and actually, so did Majeure, which is huge bummer for me.
I did not really love 2020 and kind of wrote it off as “a grower” but I listened yesterday and it’s not really growing on me the way I’d hoped. I thought Shape Shift was one of their best albums - also really loved Animal Magnetism and Escape Velocity as well. I don’t need them to do the Goblin/Carpenter worship but yeah I agree the last few have been hit of miss. And I know 2020 had a real Blue Öyster Cult vibe and I am a HUGE BOC fan but it just didn’t work for me.

I actually didn’t even pick up the last LP with the fish on the cover.
I hear you. I hoped it grew on me as well but it didn't. Now I wish they made some new Gianni Rossi or even Lovelock albums. That'd rule.
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Remi wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:41 am Fabio Frizzi
Some understated classics from him for sure. The simplest, best themes (Zombi 2 and City of the Living Dead especially).

I'm a sucker for Morricone. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is a masterpiece. Companeros is another favourite, plus themes from giallo like Who Saw Her Die?.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:42 pmI'm a sucker for Morricone. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is a masterpiece. Companeros is another favourite, plus themes from giallo like Who Saw Her Die?.
I never went down the wormhole of collecting his soundtracks but I remember years ago I picked up a double CD compilation called Crime and Dissonance that is super tight, really well sequenced and put together by Mike Patton….
chryptusrecords
Hard Panning

Post by chryptusrecords »

Tangerine Dream's soundtrack to the 1983 d-list film "Wavelength," which gets bonus recommendations for starring Robert Carradine brother of David (RIP) and Cherri Curie from the Runaways. The soundtrack itself has a bunch of other TD tracks re-worked, but also little gems like "church theme" which wouldn't see proper release for many more years
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

Some great/best movies with favourite soundtracks or sound design/foley art or both

Stalker (Tarkovsky is best, he taught me to listen)
Le feu follet
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Forbidden Planet
Movies in general by John Carpenter, David Lynch, Roman Polanski, Lars von Trier, Gaspar Noe, Mario Bava, Dario Argento, Stanley Kubrick...

at least (cliches are cliches for a reason)
boring choices but I'm a bit lazy at the moment. I should dig deeper into my memory and collection
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

I love the soundtrack to Sinister. Great samples, loops, and atmosphere.
dust
Contact Mic

Post by dust »

holy ghost wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:57 pm
Scream & Writhe wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:42 pmI'm a sucker for Morricone. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is a masterpiece. Companeros is another favourite, plus themes from giallo like Who Saw Her Die?.
I never went down the wormhole of collecting his soundtracks but I remember years ago I picked up a double CD compilation called Crime and Dissonance that is super tight, really well sequenced and put together by Mike Patton….
hate to be pedantic but it was actually put together by alan bishop of sin city girls, etc.

worth noting because he has done a couple of other morricone comps on dagored worth seeking out...
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

dust wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:45 pm hate to be pedantic but it was actually put together by alan bishop of sin city girls, etc.

worth noting because he has done a couple of other morricone comps on dagored worth seeking out...
Sheesh he sure put his name all over it! I always assumed he sequenced it, I’ll have to look it over more carefully next time I grab it.
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

Surely I’m not the only one here who thinks that Basil Poledouris was the man?
killhippies
Contact Mic

Post by killhippies »

Lustmord’s soundtrack to First Reformed is one of my most played
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

Some of my favourites:

Popol Vuh soundtracks to Herzog movies.
Ernst Reijseger soundtracks to Herzog movies.
Chernobyl soundtrack w/ field recordings from power plants in the eastern bloc.
Most soundtracks by Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow, like Devs, Archive 81, Ex Machina etc. Archive 81 was especially impressive since the music such a big part in the show.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

chryptusrecords wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:42 pm Tangerine Dream's soundtrack to the 1983 d-list film "Wavelength," which gets bonus recommendations for starring Robert Carradine brother of David (RIP) and Cherri Curie from the Runaways. The soundtrack itself has a bunch of other TD tracks re-worked, but also little gems like "church theme" which wouldn't see proper release for many more years
Love their soundtrack work. Especially to Thief.
Whiteboard Maverick
Contact Mic

Post by Whiteboard Maverick »

chryptusrecords wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:42 pm Tangerine Dream's soundtrack to the 1983 d-list film "Wavelength," which gets bonus recommendations for starring Robert Carradine brother of David (RIP) and Cherri Curie from the Runaways. The soundtrack itself has a bunch of other TD tracks re-worked, but also little gems like "church theme" which wouldn't see proper release for many more years
Hadn't come across this one before! There's some really excellent eerie pieces there amongst the banal early 80's TD arpeggiating dreck. I tend to waver a bit on the TG soundtracks. For example Thief's cover art is better than the contents for me, which are a bit too 'Revenge of the Nerds talent show scene' somehow? Sorcerer fucking kills from start to finish though.

Best Morricone for me has got to be Maddalena.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Whiteboard Maverick wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:32 am Thief's cover art is better than the contents for me, which are a bit too 'Revenge of the Nerds talent show scene' somehow? Sorcerer fucking kills from start to finish though.

Best Morricone for me has got to be Maddalena.
Ah, I think the “Beach Theme/Scene” from Thief is a fantastic theme that perfectly suits the primary scene it hits on. And yes, Sorcerer as a whole is of course incredible.

I’m not familiar with Maddalena, I’ll have to watch this one.

A few other good Morricone scores that pop into my head: The Big Gundown, The Mercenary, Burn!, La Gabbia.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

Ryuichi Sakamoto, for some reason my mind wants to pin even his non-soundtrack works to this pile, just for being so cinematic. Async is one of my favorite albums of all time, and the documentay about Sakamoto is inspiring too!
Der.Bluteimer
Contact Mic

Post by Der.Bluteimer »

. . . "Begotten" Soundtrack was very nice for me . . .
T.D.
Contact Mic

Post by T.D. »

Randomly felt the urge to pull my copies of the Solaris/Mirror/Stalker soundtracks by Eduard Artemyev the other day. Some of my favorite soundtracks for sure, mostly composed on synth (at least Solaris is) but they are pretty varied and far from all atmospheric or ambient. Work well as stand alone albums. Brilliant films as well, as I'm sure most are aware.

The Krauts really did have this market cornered for a while. Not my favorite material by either band, but as already mentioned there's some great stuff from both Tangerine Dream and Popul Vuh throughout the late 70s/80s. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, but the Ash Ra Tempel score of Philippe Garrel's Le Berceau de Cristal also comes to mind. Sort of bridges the ambient side-long tracks from the Schulze records with the proto-New Age, solo Gottsching period. Then there's the bizarre tapefuckery/diagloge one-off Headmovie LP that features some Kosmische luminaries (Georg Deuter, Renate Knaup) alongside spoken contributions from Ginsberg, Leary etc. I guess it was more a soundtrack to an imagined film, but it earns its title at any rate. Oh, and Can Soundtracks, almost too obvious.

Kenneth Anger always used sound to great effect. Bobby Beausoleil's Lucifer Rising of course, Mick Jagger's moog freakout for "Invocation of My Demon Brother", Jonathan Halper's two bare bones psych folk songs featured in the reedited "Puce Moment" that could easily pass for some long lost UK acetate that'd end up on a shady Audio Archives comp. or something decades later.

What else? Franco Falsini Cold Nose (excellent spacey progressive electronic deal for a shelved film about cocaine by Sensations' Fix mainstay), Gil Mellé The Andromeda Strain (cracked sci-fi electronics with incredible packaging on the original 10"), Jane Arden & Jack Bond Anti-Clock (first time pressing came out last year of this soundtrack to a late 70s nonlinear/fever-dreamish psychodrama, cool record though the film is underwhelming IMO).