Modular Noise

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
FrenziedDestruction
Contact Mic

Re: Modular Noise

Post by FrenziedDestruction »

anyone have reccs for a modular noise friendly PA? im using a behringer b112d and it smells like burnt glue after every show, i only have the volume halfway up or less too.
marciume
Contact Mic

Post by marciume »

Ouch hehehe! I don't think it's linked to your modular system, unless you are going straight out of it without stepping the signal down to line level.
FrenziedDestruction
Contact Mic

marciume wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:43 pm Ouch hehehe! I don't think it's linked to your modular system, unless you are going straight out of it without stepping the signal down to line level.
nah, i have a befaco output v3 which brings it down to line level
marciume
Contact Mic

Post by marciume »

FrenziedDestruction wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:41 pm
marciume wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:43 pm Ouch hehehe! I don't think it's linked to your modular system, unless you are going straight out of it without stepping the signal down to line level.
And you don't experience the same issue with other gear? Strange.
FrenziedDestruction
Contact Mic

marciume wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:53 am
yeah im not sure whats up with it. i guess im just going to use it until it perishes and hopefully by then i can find a good recommendation for a modular noise PA
marciume
Contact Mic

Post by marciume »

FrenziedDestruction wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:23 pm
marciume wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:53 am
yeah im not sure whats up with it. i guess im just going to use it until it perishes and hopefully by then i can find a good recommendation for a modular noise PA
I've used and played with several types and brands of PAs and I've never experienced any particular issue, beside if the PA system itself was already shitty or fucked up in the first place.
Good luck!
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

I wld maybe suggest go with Mackie powered speakers and a Mackie mixing desk, didn’t Behringer swipe their designs from Mackie anyway? iiuc.
I personally have ran live acts at full volume redlining motherfudgers thru full Mackie systems: The Haters, Emil Beaulieau, Sixes, Gerritt, Wolf Eyes, The Cherry Point, Blue Sabbath Black Cheer, and many many others with no problems whatsoever.
FrenziedDestruction
Contact Mic

thanks, when it comes time to replace it i'll look into mackie!

i did get a chance to ask anthony (nice guy!) from bastard noise/hypertrophy etc and he said that its likely signal offset or low pitches under 20khz causing the cone to constantly get pushed or pulled off center which causes it to burn and recommended i pick up a highpass filter that cuts everything below 20hz.

he suggested the shakmat 2hp high pass filter for this purpose. so i will be picking one of those up as soon as i am able. so if anyone in the future is searching threads on the board for answers as to why your PA keeps emitting abyssal odors of the worst sort, here you go!
Fomites
Sound Art

Post by Fomites »

What's happenin' modular noise heads! I've been into eurorack for about 3 years and I've finally settled on the tiptop/buchla series for my ugliest sounds. a bit of granular and sample mangling naturally has to be there too.

Anyone on this thread recording at all? I'm posting patches as good ones appear. My channel for interested parties...
[yt][/yt]
www.fomites.bandcamp.com

Art/Illustration- get in touch: common(dot)era(dot)analog(at)gmail.com

Modular things- https://www.youtube.com/@fomites1620
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

I mostly just tinker with it as a hobby. I've managed to record only one whole, "finished" song with my modular system in three years.

I used to upload videos of "jamming", song sketches and generative patches to make notes on them and document the process of figuring things out, but I don't have the time or patience now for it, so I haven't made any in a while: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/w5LCrFhfEJDB/
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Finally got my gear in position but not running , just yet, almost, v soon.
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

After two years of expanding my modular, I will say I would be hard pressed to ever go back to not having a personally curated and designed modular system. Plus, I have a Prophet 08, so I don't feel the need to really chase other synths after 13+ of trying, buying, selling, and buying synth after synth.

That being said, I struggle with the idea that modular is somehow superior or "modern." I think the market expanding and creating more affordable options and plenitude of different variations on staple synth functions is very different from it being "the future," so to speak. I honestly just think its an easier workflow.

Its just an almost "physical open source" take on synth architecture. Besides the inherent gain in analogue circuits and hardware that I personally love and the possibility to digit with knobs, you can do everything with Max/MSP that you can with modular.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

I haven't heard people calling it modern, but modular hardware is certainly very "now". That is to say, very trendy. But I think this has more to do with it (eurorack specifically) becoming more accessible to average people with day jobs than anything. I suspect it seems particularly interesting to people who previously have used mainly DAWs and peripherals. I'm not so sure anyone thinks it's a "modern" approach, just something a bit different from the current norms. There's definitely a "fad" element to it, but that's fine. More used shit for less money.

Superiority is subjective, but I am grateful that Eurorack in particular is so accessible now, because it is a workflow/methodology that simply works well for me. Even before I fell down the eurocrack rabbit hole, I already used patchbays extensively for a similar workflow. I think even using pedals is really not so different from modular/patchable synthesizers proper, apart from the challenges associated with patching, unpatching and repatching them.
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

I don't think eurorack really is more accessible than most other modular formats. In terms of choice and availability, maybe, but you can buy new 5U modules that look and sound awesome for less than their shiny eurorack equivalents, and while my 4U boats are expensive, if you take into accounts I have one with 17 modules behind its single panel, the final price per module is lower than what euro costs (and they also are multifunctional, like Maths.)

I just think people want access to everything right away instead of saving up and buying everything at once. To each their own of course, but I can't do with the lack of standards for interactions between modules in their format anymore. Same when it comes to size, mini knobs, etc...
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Re: Accessibility...
By that I just meant, perhaps more accurately, that there is better "market visibility" for Euro, and easy integration with modern semi-modulars makes it the first choice for many over something slightly more obscure like Frac. Euro is the path of least resistance for everyone just getting into modular. It's certainly not perfect, but it's a start at least. Definitely appreciate that it's fairly easy to integrate different modular stuff on the whole, though, especially through developments in Euro gear, even if that comes with a lot of excess and insanity within the format.
Jeep
Contact Mic

Post by Jeep »

Without any doubt eurorack is the format that has more options in terms of "versatility". From the classic "standard" analog modules that remind the 60's and 70's to modern digital modules that are based in raspberry pi technology. Even some "computers interfaces" that "talks" to Ableton Live and IOs apps are available. My system (84hp, 7u), for example, have analog and digital worlds working together in a perfect integration. It gives a lot of functionality and even permit me to incorporate a computer if i need to make something more complex and elaborated. For purist any format can be great, some can sounds even "better" than eurorack according to personal tastes (ex. Serge*).
* just for the record, there is also Serge modules clones in eurorack.
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

I wasn't trying to be a purist or anything. I still have some euro modules and a rig I keep using because I can't find similar filters or VCOs in the format I like better so they all communicate through format jumblers. It's all about what you make of it, whatever it is, but it doesn't have to be because someone told you it was THE thing to have, which I think happens a lot in eurorack. I said it before, I'll say it again, it's all about the sounds AND the workflow. Choice is good, although too much choice blocks my creativity. I don't want to have to wonder about which VCA is the best for my needs among 20 different modules that are 95% similar in terms of functionnality. I want to go further than that and wonder what I can do with my rig and explore it, not constantly wonder about how to improve it because of Hainbach, Divkid or whoever shows a new thing on YouTube every 3 weeks. That's my issue with eurorack.

And modules with Raspberries, Norns or O_C apps, Midi, etc all exist in the 4U world (I believe in 5U as well, although I'm less familiar with it) because they can be built from scratch for the most part. There are MI clones or O_C clones, Midi interface modules, etc, for more obscure formats.too.

Sure, either you build stuff yourself or you commission it or you get ripped off by Random Source bullies if you want them in a non-euro format but that's doable.

What I wish happened is that modular synth companies agreed on a standard power (12 or 15V) for everyone to use as well as the voltage needed to make modules interact with eachother (5 or 10V.) I've had to deal with these discrepancies in euro and it drove me nuts, like people talking in two different languages and modules having a hard time communicating. So annoying...
Droit Divin:
Lava:
Jeep
Contact Mic

Post by Jeep »

I think i did not make myself clear. For sure because english is not my native language, so my commentary did not sound right. I don't disagree with any opinions posted here. I just share my point of view why, for me, eurorack works better. I totally agree that the choice of the modular format only depends of the person that will use it. It is a musical instrument like any other.

When I said purists I wasn't saying in a bad way or pointed to anybody. I use this word to describe someone that, for example, love Moog Vco's and filters or any analog module and does not care/like digital options. So, for people with this kind of "restrictions/preference" all module formats can fit very well. If someone loves "low-fi" digital sounds from IME VCO's (Piston Honda or Hertz Donut) i guess it can only be found in eurorack - If I am not wrong -

I hope i made myself clear and I am sorry if my previous comment sounds somehow pretentious or offensive. It wasn't my intention. I don't disagree with any opinions here.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Remi wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:36 pm [...]

Sure, either you build stuff yourself or you commission it or you get ripped off by Random Source bullies if you want them in a non-euro format but that's doable.

What I wish happened is that modular synth companies agreed on a standard power (12 or 15V) for everyone to use as well as the voltage needed to make modules interact with eachother (5 or 10V.) I've had to deal with these discrepancies in euro and it drove me nuts, like people talking in two different languages and modules having a hard time communicating. So annoying...
Oh? Care to elaborate?
I had a couple R*S Serge modules, wldve loved a whole system (or better a real Serge tbh), very fun.
Remi wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:36 pm What I wish happened is that modular synth companies agreed on a standard power (12 or 15V) for everyone to use as well as the voltage needed to make modules interact with each other (5 or 10V.) I've had to deal with these discrepancies in euro and it drove me nuts, like people talking in two different languages and modules having a hard time communicating. So annoying...
TRUTH!!!
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

Jeep wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:57 pm I think i did not make myself clear. For sure because english is not my native language, so my commentary did not sound right. I don't disagree with any opinions posted here. I just share my point of view why, for me, eurorack works better. I totally agree that the choice of the modular format only depends of the person that will use it. It is a musical instrument like any other.

When I said purists I wasn't saying in a bad way or pointed to anybody. I use this word to describe someone that, for example, love Moog Vco's and filters or any analog module and does not care/like digital options. So, for people with this kind of "restrictions/preference" all module formats can fit very well. If someone loves "low-fi" digital sounds from IME VCO's (Piston Honda or Hertz Donut) i guess it can only be found in eurorack - If I am not wrong -

I hope i made myself clear and I am sorry if my previous comment sounds somehow pretentious or offensive. It wasn't my intention. I don't disagree with any opinions here.
Oh, sorry buddy, and don't worry, I'm a non-native speaker too and definitely not good at taking things not literally.

I feel like it's a bit silly to dismiss some digital modules just because they're digital. I mean, for instance, my favourite eurorack VCO (besides Verbos' Complex Oscillator which is one of the only two modules I wish I never had to get rid of, the other being the first version of the Verbos Amplitude & Tone Controller which was INCREDIBLE) is Soundforce's DCO and it's a hybrid one, with analog VCOs and digital stability. Sure it's not a digital VCO but still. In the end, what's good is whatever floats one's boat I guess.
Droit Divin:
Lava:
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

Happiness, forever wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:27 pm
Remi wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:36 pm [...]

Oh? Care to elaborate?
I had a couple R*S Serge modules, wldve loved a whole system (or better a real Serge tbh), very fun.
You've been PMed.
Droit Divin:
Lava:
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Indeed.
T/y 👍
Cementimental
Hard Panning

Post by Cementimental »

This album of mine is mostly modular and tape except for track 2

a 'live' eurorack noise thing at 22.44 in this video too:

I need to get back onto eurorack noise, my setup (3 small homemade racks of random cheap and/or homemade modules) is completely dismantled at the moment.
Last edited by Cementimental on Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cementimental.bandcamp.com - harsh Noise, rough music and circuit bending since 2000ad
disgustingcathedral.bandcamp.com - Dungeon Noise
isntses.bandcamp.com - Intergalactic noise/music
isntses.etsy.com - Psychogeographic noise synths
Jeep
Contact Mic

Post by Jeep »

Can anybody point me some video or audio of artists using Qu-Bit Nebulae in the harsh noise context? I am curious to see the potential of this module for noise. All audio and videos that i found just showed Nebulae making beautiful drone sounds or techno rhythmics stuff (what i don't like). Really appreciate for some help. Thanks.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

I doesnt has one to try for ya. But if you don’t get a response here, try here:
https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22