Noise/industrial documentaries

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Re: Noise/industrial documentaries

Post by SS1535 »

Atrophist wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:43 pm There’s also this:
Romua, Ruiskeita ja Rutinaa / Noise of Finland

Noise of Finland is a documentary about finnish noise and power electronics scene.
Loud distorted noise made with scrap metal and effect pedals are combined with extreme views and shocking visuals. The barriers of human limits and impossibility of commercial success are surpassed with limitless self expression. Movie includes the artists of the genre like Grunt, Bizarre Uproar, Manic/Depression, Sick Seed and Strom.EC
Fairly rudimentary and very short documentary film, but still interesting, imo. AfaIk it’s only available as bonus material for the DVD of the same director’s black metal documentary, Endless Flame of Gehenna.
I'm pretty sure that is the only way to get it as well. I spent a good amount of time looking for it online a while ago, but no luck.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

This BBC thing about the history of COUM transmissions was a lot better than I thought it would be. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0012950 Really cool to see and hear so much from the early actors in the whole TG/Industrial story.
Greg
C20

Post by Greg »

Noise Progression Vol. 1-6 VHS released by MSBR Records. If you can (ever) find any of these for sale, scoop them up at whatever price.
A FAIL ASSOCIATION
DADA DRUMMING
SPOTIFY
YOUTUBE
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Greg wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:44 pm Noise Progression Vol. 1-6 VHS released by MSBR Records. If you can (ever) find any of these for sale, scoop them up at whatever price.
This sounds really interesting. What is on them?
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

maaaa wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:29 am Also this:
Tinnitus (2019) This is very heavy one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAb2vDLv_fM
Thank you for this. Heavy one indeed.
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Noise of Finland is a documentary about finnish noise and power electronics scene.
Loud distorted noise made with scrap metal and effect pedals are combined with extreme views and shocking visuals. The barriers of human limits and impossibility of commercial success are surpassed with limitless self expression. Movie includes the artists of the genre like Grunt, Bizarre Uproar, Manic/Depression, Sick Seed and Strom.EC
Fairly rudimentary and very short documentary film, but still interesting, imo. AfaIk it’s only available as bonus material for the DVD of the same director’s black metal documentary, Endless Flame of Gehenna.
Out of curiosity, how long/interesting is the Bizarre Uproar interview in it?
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

SS1535 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:42 pm

It's been a while since I watched it so I can't comment on the content, but the whole documentary is only about 20 minutes in length.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

SS1535 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:42 pm [Out of curiosity, how long/interesting is the Bizarre Uproar interview in it?
Well, the whole thing is about 20 minutes, so …. It goes back and forth between the featured artists, by topic. It’s been ages since I saw it, but my overall impression was ”definitely interesting and worth watching, but still nothing mind-blowing”. This is regarding the whole film overall.

If memory serves, Markkula spends a lot of his own segments discussing his … erm, predilections, you probably know what I mean. In my opinion it’s definitely worth the asking price here, f.e:

https://cdon.fi/elokuvat/loputon-gehenn ... -p71636393
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Atrophist wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:12 pm
SS1535 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:42 pm [Out of curiosity, how long/interesting is the Bizarre Uproar interview in it?
Well, the whole thing is about 20 minutes, so …. It goes back and forth between the featured artists, by topic. It’s been ages since I saw it, but my overall impression was ”definitely interesting and worth watching, but still nothing mind-blowing”. This is regarding the whole film overall.

If memory serves, Markkula spends a lot of his own segments discussing his … erm, predilections, you probably know what I mean. In my opinion it’s definitely worth the asking price here, f.e:

Too bad. There really is an opening for a full-on film about the history of Finnish noise (maybe in the vein of Aspa's essay in Fight Your Own War). But that is a pretty cheap DVD, and the fact that there are English subtitles makes it awfully tempting - though I doubt it is on an American-format disc.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:04 pm
SS1535 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:42 pm

It's been a while since I watched it so I can't comment on the content, but the whole documentary is only about 20 minutes in length.
Too short!
Greg
C20

Post by Greg »

SS1535 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:48 pm
Greg wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:44 pm Noise Progression Vol. 1-6 VHS released by MSBR Records. If you can (ever) find any of these for sale, scoop them up at whatever price.
Vol. 1
MSBR & Kengo Iuchi, MSBR, Crawl Unit, R.H.Y. Yau

Vol. 2
S.Isabella & Barom One, ForceMusik, Astro, Magmax, Segment, K2, Nord

Vol. 3
Spastic Colon, Speculum Flight, RoboChanMan, K2, Bastard Noise, Solid Eye, Magmax, Fin, Babyland

Vol. 4
Universal Indians, RoboAlpha, Monster Island, Princess Dragon-Mom, MSBR

Vol. 5
Scott Jenerik, The Haters

Vol. 6
Sickness, Emil Beaulieau, Government Alpha, MSBR, Skin Crime, Zipper Spy

Impossible to find unfortunately (or fortunately). I'm pretty impressed no one has uploaded them to YouTube as of yet. There may be various clips floating around. I was looking for the RoboChanMan one not too long ago but came up empty-handed.
A FAIL ASSOCIATION
DADA DRUMMING
SPOTIFY
YOUTUBE
Greg
C20

Post by Greg »

Also one of my personal favorites: Two Noiseheads! The legends Xome & Stimbox!

Two Noiseheads
A FAIL ASSOCIATION
DADA DRUMMING
SPOTIFY
YOUTUBE
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

SS1535 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:58 pm

Too bad. There really is an opening for a full-on film about the history of Finnish noise (maybe in the vein of Aspa's essay in Fight Your Own War). But that is a pretty cheap DVD, and the fact that there are English subtitles makes it awfully tempting - though I doubt it is on an American-format disc.
Perhaps the filmmaker might be persuaded to make it available on Youtube.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Greg wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:27 am
SS1535 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:48 pm
Vol. 1
MSBR & Kengo Iuchi, MSBR, Crawl Unit, R.H.Y. Yau

Vol. 2
S.Isabella & Barom One, ForceMusik, Astro, Magmax, Segment, K2, Nord

Vol. 3
Spastic Colon, Speculum Flight, RoboChanMan, K2, Bastard Noise, Solid Eye, Magmax, Fin, Babyland

Vol. 4
Universal Indians, RoboAlpha, Monster Island, Princess Dragon-Mom, MSBR

Vol. 5
Scott Jenerik, The Haters

Vol. 6
Sickness, Emil Beaulieau, Government Alpha, MSBR, Skin Crime, Zipper Spy

Impossible to find unfortunately (or fortunately). I'm pretty impressed no one has uploaded them to YouTube as of yet. There may be various clips floating around. I was looking for the RoboChanMan one not too long ago but came up empty-handed.
Amazing! Someone needs to upload/reissue this now!
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Atrophist wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:54 am

No one has asked him? My gut says he probably would not, since the DVD is still up for sale.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

https://vimeo.com/68339199

Beyond Ultra-Violence: Uneasy Listening by Merzbow (1998)
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Pigswill
C20

Post by Pigswill »

Not strictly noise, but the documentary Kill Your Idols contrasted New York's No Wave scene with their alternate scene that arose in the city decades later
KoobaatooAsparagus
Blank Tape

Post by KoobaatooAsparagus »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:01 pm Tights Worship: The Process of The Rita
https://www.bynwr.com/expressway-article/tights-worship
I was so looking for this thanks for sharing
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

https://youtu.be/PfBEVGC2Vcs
EINSTÜRZENDE NEUBAUTEN - LISTEN WITH PAIN
haven't seen this, is it worth watching and any where I could find it?
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
Phenol Injection
Contact Mic

Post by Phenol Injection »

Trash Stratum
Sound Art

Post by Trash Stratum »

Eric Coastal's tour diaries from the late 00s:

Coastal - Griefer - Taskmaster april 2009 PNW tour : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQoWN4Z3cqk

2008 Fall US Tour : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBe3Qlwupdo
Slates : [73]
Trash Stratum
theworldisawarfilm
C20

Post by theworldisawarfilm »

Stumbled across this recently...
'The Finger’d Remove' Jeph Jerman & Tim Barnes
thedemonfeedback666
C20

Post by thedemonfeedback666 »

Atrophist wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:54 am

It used to be, but it disappeared. Watched it a few times on there.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Did anyone catch Cathode Cinema's Japanese noise programming from a week or so ago?
Japanese Noise

Preshow at 8:00 PM PST

8:30/9AM PST
(Do you Remember) Piss Factory? Archival VHS
Hijokaidan live performance . Someone Call the Health Department.

9:10PM/9:40AM PST
Moriyama-San
Watch Moriyama, a Japanese art/architecture/noise enlighted amateur , water plants, listens to noise, reading, watches silent films in the Moriyama house he resides in, a house built in Tokyo in 2005 by Pritzker-prize winner Ryue Nishizawa (SANAA).

10:30PM/11AM PST
Kingdom of Noise VHS
Live performances by Aube / Incapacitants / Dislocation / Masonna / Seed Mouth / Violent Onsen Geisha / Solmania / Merzbow / C.C.C.C. / Hijokaidan

12:15AM/12:45PM PST
Endless Waltz
Biopic about free jazz saxophonist Kaoru Abe (Ko Machida) and his wife, noted writer Izumi Suzuki (Reona Hirota). Featuring an appearance by Fushitsusha.

2AM/2:30PM PST
Eli Eli Lama SabachthanI?
A suicide-inducing plague is gripping the globe. The only hope of overcoming the disease is to listen to Tadenobu Asano’s loud sweltering noisey guitar textures

4AM/4:30PM PST
Tokyo Noise
Tokyo at the beginning of the 21st century, its inhabitants and artists. An observation and diagnosis of the modern Japanese metropolis: the singularity of unusual creative individuals is merely a response to the majority Japanese society. Even this can appear as an eccentric work of art.

5:30AM PST
Merzbow - Beyond Ultra Violence VHS
Directed by Masami Akita, Live Documentary of Merzbow.

7AM/6PM PST
We Don’t Care About Music Anyways
While introducing some of the great musicians of this scene the film offers a view of Tokyo, confronting music and noise, sound, image, reality and representation, documentary and fiction.

In-betweens live sets by Merzbow, Keiji Haino, Shizuka, Otomo Yoshihide, Les Rallizes Denudes, Hanatarash, and lots more.

Abridged programming reruns at 9:00AM PST
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:51 pm Did anyone catch Cathode Cinema's Japanese noise programming from a week or so ago?
Japanese Noise

Preshow at 8:00 PM PST

8:30/9AM PST
(Do you Remember) Piss Factory? Archival VHS
Hijokaidan live performance . Someone Call the Health Department.

9:10PM/9:40AM PST
Moriyama-San
Watch Moriyama, a Japanese art/architecture/noise enlighted amateur , water plants, listens to noise, reading, watches silent films in the Moriyama house he resides in, a house built in Tokyo in 2005 by Pritzker-prize winner Ryue Nishizawa (SANAA).

10:30PM/11AM PST
Kingdom of Noise VHS
Live performances by Aube / Incapacitants / Dislocation / Masonna / Seed Mouth / Violent Onsen Geisha / Solmania / Merzbow / C.C.C.C. / Hijokaidan

12:15AM/12:45PM PST
Endless Waltz
Biopic about free jazz saxophonist Kaoru Abe (Ko Machida) and his wife, noted writer Izumi Suzuki (Reona Hirota). Featuring an appearance by Fushitsusha.

2AM/2:30PM PST
Eli Eli Lama SabachthanI?
A suicide-inducing plague is gripping the globe. The only hope of overcoming the disease is to listen to Tadenobu Asano’s loud sweltering noisey guitar textures

4AM/4:30PM PST
Tokyo Noise
Tokyo at the beginning of the 21st century, its inhabitants and artists. An observation and diagnosis of the modern Japanese metropolis: the singularity of unusual creative individuals is merely a response to the majority Japanese society. Even this can appear as an eccentric work of art.

5:30AM PST
Merzbow - Beyond Ultra Violence VHS
Directed by Masami Akita, Live Documentary of Merzbow.

7AM/6PM PST
We Don’t Care About Music Anyways
While introducing some of the great musicians of this scene the film offers a view of Tokyo, confronting music and noise, sound, image, reality and representation, documentary and fiction.

In-betweens live sets by Merzbow, Keiji Haino, Shizuka, Otomo Yoshihide, Les Rallizes Denudes, Hanatarash, and lots more.

Abridged programming reruns at 9:00AM PST
No, but I have seen/heard of a few of these. Tokyo Noise used to be on Youtube, it was really interesting--though I recall it being more focused on topics other than noise music. I have been meaning to watch Beyond Ultra Violence since I heard about it.