Online music platforms (Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Spotify, Apple)

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
W.K.
C20

Online music platforms (Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Spotify, Apple)

Post by W.K. »

Not sure where this topic should go (or even the title), but I thought maybe we can have a general topic on online streaming and all those platforms.

Anyway....Bandcamp has been bought by Epic Games, game studio known from Fortnite and Unreal.........
The world of independent music got a jolt on Wednesday when Bandcamp, the platform that has been a haven for musicians during the pandemic, announced that it had been acquired by Epic Games, the company behind blockbuster online video games like Fortnite.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed. In a statement, Epic said that Bandcamp “will play an important role in Epic’s vision to build out a creator marketplace ecosystem for content, technology, games, art, music and more.”

Epic Games, which is based in Cary, N.C., and is privately owned, said little about its plans for music, and a company spokeswoman declined to answer further questions about the deal. But Epic’s statement on Wednesday indicated that it was interested in Bandcamp as a direct-to-consumer marketplace. “Epic and Bandcamp share a mission of building the most artist-friendly platform that enables creators to keep the majority of their hard-earned money,” the company wrote.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/02/arts ... dcamp.html
Bandcamp will keep operating as a standalone marketplace and music community, and I will continue to lead our team. The products and services you depend on aren’t going anywhere, we’ll continue to build Bandcamp around our artists-first revenue model (where artists net an average of 82% of every sale), you’ll still have the same control over how you offer your music, Bandcamp Fridays will continue as planned, and the Daily will keep highlighting the diverse, amazing music on the site. However, behind the scenes we’re working with Epic to expand internationally and push development forward across Bandcamp, from basics like our album pages, mobile apps, merch tools, payment system, and search and discovery features, to newer initiatives like our vinyl pressing and live streaming services.

Source: https://blog.bandcamp.com/2022/03/02/ba ... ning-epic/
RIP Bandcamp or new opportunities?
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Re: Online music platforms (Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Spotify, Apple)

Post by holy ghost »

I use Tidal since I’m in my car a lot for work and haven’t replaced my laptop since it died two years ago. I also enjoy “lossless” playback and the idea that they pay artists a lot better than Spotify. I think it’s like an extra $5 per month?

I got one o’ them there chromcast things that attaches to my radio as well which is real handy.

The noise/experimental selection is pretty limited but if I’m making dinner I’ll be jammin’ SCORPIONS (bro) or JAMES BROWN rather than that clank clank stuff….
Chris
Contact Mic

Re: Online music platforms (Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Spotify, Apple)

Post by Chris »

holy ghost wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:25 pm I use Tidal since I’m in my car a lot for work and haven’t replaced my laptop since it died two years ago. I also enjoy “lossless” playback and the idea that they pay artists a lot better than Spotify. I think it’s like an extra $5 per month?

I got one o’ them there chromcast things that attaches to my radio as well which is real handy.

The noise/experimental selection is pretty limited but if I’m making dinner I’ll be jammin’ SCORPIONS (bro) or JAMES BROWN rather than that clank clank stuff….
I also enjoy Tidal for the "other stuff" outside of my noise/PE/jazz listening. It sounds good, they've improved the pricing and UI, and it's convenient when I'm cooking, riding the bus etc. I'm still not sold on the idea of streaming as being good for artists, but it means my budget can go farther on physical media from the distros/artists/labels that really matter to me.