Pathways to Noise / Place and Time

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Re: Pathways to Noise / Place and Time

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

Wonderful!
outdoorhorseshrine
Contact Mic

Post by outdoorhorseshrine »

I had to mull over this question to come up with a coherent response, but the short answer is that I have only actively listened to noise in the past year. I think I bought my first noise release (Protean World - Merzbow LP) in 2019. Since then, I am trying to temper my frenzy to swap out my entire collection for noise-related media.

I consider the 2010s as somewhat of a lost decade for me in terms of interesting music and personal sonic exploration. But, in the early 2000s, I was listening to a lot of alternative hip-hop and electronic music, à la Handsome Boy Modeling School, DJ Shadow, Pharoahe Monch, etc. My personal exploration of sounds started with beatboxing as a part of a breakdancing group, funnily enough. I never got to see the Houston noise scene in its heyday, which is a huge regret, but I have heard from others how truly underground and small of a scene it was.
Outdoor Horse Shrine is an experimental electronic and noise project based in Cincinnati, OH, USA | @outdoorhorseshrine
PetiteSoles
Hard Panning

Post by PetiteSoles »

I guess I’ll keep it short, punk and hardcore to grindcore and PV. Friends in some grindcore bands introduced me to power electronics and noise. I kinda took to it and slowly started finding it more and more interesting. Started buying noise releases adding more elements of it into my grindcore stuff until my band broke up in like 2013, I think and I kinda just focused heavily on noise after that. I think seeing how The Rita could physically make noise by amplifying skateboarding helped push me deeply into this direction.