Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Re: Music documentaries/movies

Post by adult human »

housepig wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:50 pm
Scream & Writhe wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:44 am D.O.A. - A Rite Of Passage
Made me think of this classic, totally worth it if you've never seen:

Having played a show where we were paid in change from the door money, I was well prepared in advance from seeing this on Night Flight a few years earlier.
Great one! Super interesting microscope over a fascinating era of punk history. I know I tend to romanticise a period like this having not even been born when it was happening...it's easy to read or watch something like American Hardcore or whatever the fuck else and marvel at this fleeting, incredible moment in time filled with YOUNG people doing RADICAL stuff in a world so unlike anything I grew up with...But then you watch this and see it for the misguided, idealistic misery it probably was and it seems something far more familiar! Gigs in crumby shitholes, things breaking down, the excitement of when you're getting ready to leave and thinking you're going to do something incredible reducing down to just feeling happy when someone bothers to give you beer, chilli and white bread at a gig. Not to mention the interpersonal fun of the tensions among band members and crew. Roadies and musicians bailing one by one to return to comforts of home after the DIY dream turns out to be bullshit whilst the remaining hangers on descend into their true states of being kids, turning on each other. It's the reality of Punk Rock and everyone should see it! And then go on tour!
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

My wife just screened her new film last night, take a look at the trailer. It's about Vancouver band Doug & The Slugs and her relation to them growing up:

https://vimeo.com/709921116
Antirealist
Contact Mic

Post by Antirealist »

the weird world of soviet, mostly estonian hippies. it's more about the movement than their music though.
Last edited by Antirealist on Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antirealist
Contact Mic

Post by Antirealist »

Elektro Moskva, a must see docu. from first electronic instruments to nowadays experimental musicians, weird and fascinating soup.