Comic Books, Graphic Novels, Trades, etc.

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
MaldororEstMort
C20

Comic Books, Graphic Novels, Trades, etc.

Post by MaldororEstMort »

any other comic book nerds on here? if so what are you currently reading? favorite runs? favorite series or mini-series? hell, anything having to do with comics?
killhippies
Contact Mic

Re: Comic Books, Graphic Novels, Trades, etc.

Post by killhippies »

I love anything Hellboy and BPRD related. Hell on Earth was one of the best series’ I’ve ever read, and the new Sword of Hyperborea follows up on it. The first issue was strong
MaldororEstMort
C20

killhippies wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:20 pm I love anything Hellboy and BPRD related. Hell on Earth was one of the best series’ I’ve ever read, and the new Sword of Hyperborea follows up on it. The first issue was strong
i've read some hellboy (from the early stuff to the conqueror worm storyline) but i've never branched out to the other stuff that focus on other characters. i do love mignola's distinct art style though. i'm currently reading the original hellbazer series, its been pretty rad so far.
n a a r a
Contact Mic

Post by n a a r a »

MaldororEstMort wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:20 pm any other comic book nerds on here? if so what are you currently reading? favorite runs? favorite series or mini-series? hell, anything having to do with comics?
hello! I have a background in Finnish DIY comic scene, or more like spending my precious life reading comic blogs. Here is one anarchism-oriented very beautifully illustrated gem that also features some stuff in English: https://tajukankaankutoja.sarjakuvablogit.com/

I think in Finland DIY music scene and DIY comic scene are tightly entwined
MaldororEstMort
C20

n a a r a wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:40 am
MaldororEstMort wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:20 pm any other comic book nerds on here? if so what are you currently reading? favorite runs? favorite series or mini-series? hell, anything having to do with comics?
hello! I have a background in Finnish DIY comic scene, or more like spending my precious life reading comic blogs. Here is one anarchism-oriented very beautifully illustrated gem that also features some stuff in English: https://tajukankaankutoja.sarjakuvablogit.com/

I think in Finland DIY music scene and DIY comic scene are tightly entwined
i wish i knew finnish so i could read them especially since they involve anarchism, but cool nonetheless!
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

just had a long comic discussion with a new coworker, ended up recommending the following to her:
Watchmen
V For Vendetta
WE3
DMZ
Transmetropolitan
Hawkeye (the Matt Fraction / David Aja run)
Velvet (70's spy thriller miniseries by Ed Brubaker)
Powers

Hellboy is a perennial favorite - I've loved Mignola's work since I started seeing him pop up in fanzine/prozine pinups in the early 80's.
MaldororEstMort
C20

housepig wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:10 pm just had a long comic discussion with a new coworker, ended up recommending the following to her:
Watchmen
V For Vendetta
WE3
DMZ
Transmetropolitan
Hawkeye (the Matt Fraction / David Aja run)
Velvet (70's spy thriller miniseries by Ed Brubaker)
Powers

Hellboy is a perennial favorite - I've loved Mignola's work since I started seeing him pop up in fanzine/prozine pinups in the early 80's.
i've been meaning to check out some of brubaker's stuff and powers. along the same lines, newburn by zdarsky and king of spies by millar both seem like they're going to pretty good (both are only 2 issues in)
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

MaldororEstMort wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:18 pm i've been meaning to check out some of brubaker's stuff and powers. along the same lines, newburn by zdarsky and king of spies by millar both seem like they're going to pretty good (both are only 2 issues in)
I first encountered Brubaker on his Captain America / Winter Soldier runs and I've liked everything I've read of his since, but Velvet really hit the spot. I'm blanking on the artist's name right now, but it's a great overall match.

I'll make a note to check out Newburn and King of Spies when they get a little further along!
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Was very much a fan of:

graphic novels:
All-Star Superman
Superman: Red Son
Old Man Logan

series/runs:
Elfquest
Ghost Rider - Midnight Sons (only read the first one)
everything Punisher
Wolverine: Origins
Wolverine in general
Spiderman 2099
MaldororEstMort
C20

incorruptible corpse wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:46 amWolverine in general
as big of an x fan that i am, i have never read that orignial wolverine on-going!

also, i never answered my own question lol
so here are some of favorites

milligan's run on doom patrol
the invisiables
the filth
crepax's valentina
milligan's shade the changing man
various x-books
THE RITA HN
Sound Art

Post by THE RITA HN »

LADY BULLSEYE
SPIDER-GIRL
SPIDER-WOMAN
HARLEY QUINN (Terry Dodson era)
SILK
MS. MARVEL (1977-1979)
INVISIBLE WOMAN
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

oooh, forgot to mention Planetary - really liked that series! Nice meta-take on lots of different genre fiction & comic tropes (Tarzan, Dracula, Superman, Fantastic Four etc) smartly executed through the lens of a team of "weirdness hunters" with superhuman abilities.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

Loooove comics!!

Since 2018, I’ve been reading in the Marvel Universe- picked up an issue of Immortal Hulk & Amazing Spider-man and I was rehooked. Now I have subs thru Marvel for:
Amazing Spider-man : the OG! I liked the Nick Spencer 2018 run. Haven’t started on the new tun yet.
Miles Morales: Spider-man - especially his run in the Ultimate universe where he’s from.
Hulk - i was enjoying this last run with Ryan Ottley on art but they just brought it to a rather quick end. New run just started yesterday, it’s up next on my read pile.
Moon Knight: current run is 🔥🔥🔥
The New Mutants - tho I prolly gonna cancel this & put any remaining issues to ASM. It’s been a decent enough run but… X-stuff doesn’t do me too much, there’s a lot going on in their part of the 616, and that’s good for em heh

Thru my LCBS, i got pulls on:
Fantastic Four
Spider-man
She-Hulk
Dr. Strange - I enjoyed his recent death and Clea Strange becoming the Sorcerer Supreme but that was quick lived, of course.

There’ve been some enjoyable short 5-issue runs of late: I Am Iron Man; Ant-man; Wasp; the Thing; the Defenders 1 & 2 (written by Al Ewing, drawn by Javier Rodriguez).

I just finished up reading the Ultimates Omnibus- rlly enjoyed that. Vol 2 of Ultimate Spider-man Omnibus is next after I catch up on the last months of reg. issues. Last year I picked up the 4x omnibus collections of Peter David’s run of the Hulk, still haven’t cracked into em yet. Soon.

Other Marvel titles I am a fan of: Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel and Spider-Gwen/Ghost-Spider. The og run of Spider-man 2099 was great and the Hulk 2099 (only if that story wldve run longer…).

Other comics…. I love good indie comics, the usuals as everyone already mentioned. I read nearly the entire Cerebus the Aardvark run… wld like to read the entire The Goon run, that’s some entertainment there.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

THE RITA HN wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:43 pm
SPIDER-GIRL
SPIDER-WOMAN
Sam, loan me yr Spider-girl compendiums.
Spider-woman as drawn by Javier Rodriguez is ❤️
PetiteSoles
Hard Panning

Post by PetiteSoles »

It’s been a while since I’ve really gotten into a comic, last one was probably Providence by Alan Moore. But I’ve gotten excited with Fantagraphics mentioning a new Al Columbia book soon.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Every week I mean to go over to Fantagraphix…. Every week I kick myself for not going. They’re connected to share a space with Georgetown Records store, so I can’t ever get out of there safely, wallet intact.
Guh. I shld go over there….
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

The complete Spider-man 2099 run from the 90’s just got a sweet omnibus released yesterday.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

All caught up with my Marvel readings (aside from the 4 volume omnibus of Peter David’s immense Hulk run) of the current crops, mostly from 2018 up. Really enjoying Moon Knight a LOT! She-Hulk has been great as always. Hulk… i rlly was enjoying the Donnie Cates & Ryan Ottley run but that abruptly ended…?! That switched over into what is looking like a good new Hulk series in the horror vein, Hulk battles monsters… ok, cool. Issue #2 out today…. In fact, logging off to go read comics and listen to music….🕳️
👋
Vibg
Contact Mic

Post by Vibg »

Brubaker's been mentioned: my favorite of his is the "Criminal" noir series. Highly recommended. I also strongly recommend Moore's Swamp Thing run and the first Hellblazer series. More recent, "Scalped" is great. "100 Bullets" as well.

Any illustrators here? I'd love to see some work.
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

Vibg wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:27 pm Brubaker's been mentioned: my favorite of his is the "Criminal" noir series. Highly recommended. I also strongly recommend Moore's Swamp Thing run and the first Hellblazer series. More recent, "Scalped" is great. "100 Bullets" as well.
Just reread Moore's run on Swamp Thing. Still holds up, just fantastic.

editing to add, speaking of Moore, Bissette & Totelben, I can't believe I omitted Miracleman from my original list. First encountered one chapter of it (and a chapter of V For Vendetta) in a random issue of Warrior Magazine picked up from the junk bin of a local comic shop. Took me a few years to find the US reprint editions & then new material from Eclipse comics in the mid through late 80's. Followed it through Moore's run, then through Neil Gaiman's run until Eclipse went bust in the early 90's. Ultimately Marvel has acquired the rights and Gaiman is finishing the arc he left off in '93 or thereabouts.

Basic premise - "What if Captain Marvel forgot the word 'Shazam' and forgot he was a super hero?" Very early take on superhero deconstruction, and how someone with powers like Superman would work in the real world. Excellent roster of artists through the run (with a couple of missteps here and there) - solid early work from Gary Leach, Alan Davis, Bissette & Totleben, and Mark Buckingham. Much easier to find now and totally worth the time to get caught up, before Marvel decides to integrate the character into the regular Marvel Universe and probably send it down the drain in terms of quality.
PetiteSoles
Hard Panning

Post by PetiteSoles »

Three volumes (complete collection?) of the Buddy Bradley stories from Hate Comics came across the buy counter at work and are now on my employee stash shelf. Can’t wait to read all those again.

Just picked up my copy of the complete collected Prison Pit and I really need to just read that whole thing someday. It is insane.
puritanwaste
Hard Panning

Post by puritanwaste »

For more contemporary stuff (and by contemporary, I guess I mean like 12 years ago), Scott Snyder's Detective Comics/Batman run was really interesting. It wasn't totally batshit over the edge like Morrison's run, but Snyder definitely pumped some fresh air into it.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

PetiteSoles wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:04 am Three volumes (complete collection?) of the Buddy Bradley stories from Hate Comics came across the buy counter at work and are now on my employee stash shelf. Can’t wait to read all those again.
I LOVED this comic when I was a kid. I had every issue and lost them all when my basement backed up along with all my other comics. I bought the trade paperbacks and somehow those disappeared as well, I think I left them at work and forgot them before I changed locations....

I'm currently reading The Sandman which I also loved as a kid. I took the opportunity to buy those Netflix tie-in editions and I'm halfway through the second one. Gotta pick up the thid and fourth soon too.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

PetiteSoles wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:04 am Three volumes (complete collection?) of the Buddy Bradley stories from Hate Comics […]
Oh!😲 Lucky Score!
i wanna read those… my address is…. 😉
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

holy ghost wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:04 pm I'm currently reading The Sandman which I also loved as a kid. I took the opportunity to buy those Netflix tie-in editions and I'm halfway through the second one. Gotta pick up the thid and fourth soon too.
The Sandman saga, the original, really is super great. They did a mighty fine job with the teevee series too, thot i. I haven’t read any of the newer additions into the Sandman saga, eventually.

I’m currently waiting semi-patiently for the mail (on friday) with the She-Hulk omnibus, original run. I read some of em as a kid, always liked her character, rlly psyched to finally read em. Also got the Secret Wars omni. Read that as a teen, had those issues but idk where all that went. Once I can get into our storage (another month sheesh) these books i gonna read current will tie-in with The Thing (fantastic four) omnibus and then the Peter David 4 volume massive Hulk run. Some good reads and looking at ahead.

Yesterday I came to the decide to read all the Amazing Spider-man comix in order via the omnibus route (i’ve been reading continuous now from #801 to current #927 (started 2018, got a mail subscription). So i figured wld be fun to tead everything before 801….
Hellz Yeah! After that I will read the Fantastic Four.

Crazy to think how the whole Marvel world is insanely huge, an ongoing story with so so so many different facets…..