Grunt – Hehku

Dedicated reviews section. All writers welcome.
sarinDK
Contact Mic

Grunt – Hehku

Post by sarinDK »

Grunt – Hehku
2022 CD on Institute of Paraphilia Studies (FIN)

Hehku is the latest full length offering of established Finnish project Grunt. Ten tracks of almost 40 minutes playtime containing for the most part instrumental noise. A mature and focused sound that kicks in from the first minute and never really slows down makes the album an intense and rewarding listening experience. Clean production and a solid balance of low and high ends sound amazing both on the cranked up stereo and through headphones. Dynamic harshness almost throughout, only stopped by a short and well placed interlude on track 6. The pacing is excellent, a concise display of established formula. Absolute highlight is the final track Kieli, the only track with a clearly recognizable vocal component. A rumbling heavy electronics riff with a strong rhythmic component, greatest hits material.

The disc is encased in an over-sized ecotype digipak. Assembled-by-hand cover art including a single fake eyelash glued to the suggestive photograph along with text booklet all in Finnish sets the obsessive tone. Albeit judged by a quick machine translation of the lyrical component said obsession is as close to vanilla as the IOPS imprint has ever gotten. Visual and haptic presentation is flawless.
JuntaCadre
Hard Panning

Re: Grunt – Hehku

Post by JuntaCadre »

Loved the packaging and presentation of this- very professional and mature, still need to spend more time with the actual material. Have only gotten one chance to listen through while driving, definitely seemed better consumed sitting at home and giving a more thoughtful listen.
What Abraham found easiest, I would have found hard, namely to be joyful again with Isaac

Herukrat, Junta Cadre, Commuter.

https://juntacadre.bandcamp.com/
https://newforces.bandcamp.com/album/no-longer-penitent
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Re: Grunt – Hehku

Post by SS1535 »

For some reason (probably the description) I had thought this was a reissue of old materials, so it is cool to hear that Grunt has, in some regards, returned to his beginnings. While I have never been the biggest fan of Grunt, I might just have to pick this one up because of the packaging alone.