THE RITA

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
_IS_
Contact Mic

Re: THE RITA

Post by _IS_ »

Not all of his more recent recordings do it for me, but I really like the new tape on AE. The presentation looks great too. Can't wait to get a physical copy of it.
Buried_slag_debris
C20

Post by Buried_slag_debris »

Dries wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:03 am Also the great project Paris & that “Black Air” lp is one hit in heaviness and sound manipulation
Happy you mentioned this! Black Air are great, especially the "Plague Ritual" LP. Still easy to find copies at a good price.
Oscillating Innards, Pedestrian Deposit, and The Rita together … wish this happened again on a release.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Picked up the BA.KU / The Rita LP recently - both sides are fucking great. Had not heard this stuff before and so happy Phage reissued it. Both LP covers look killer. The Rita side in particular just hit that heavy grind just perfectly.
horrorautist
Sound Art

Post by horrorautist »

The Nylons Of Laura Antonelli is my fav Rita release. The texture of that one i find so pleasing to listen too. Speaking of The Rita has anyone here read the book Sam wrote for Amphetamine Sulphate? Is it worth checking out?
drift
Thrashmaster

Post by drift »

no-one's mentioned his blog http://bakurita.blogspot.com

wouldn't call myself a "fan" of the Rita, but he seems very focused on what he's doing, and to his merit (which you can't always say)
turn it up!
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

drift wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:30 am no-one's mentioned his blog http://bakurita.blogspot.com

wouldn't call myself a "fan" of the Rita, but he seems very focused on what he's doing, and to his merit (which you can't always say)
I love that he has a section just called "themes."
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

horrorautist wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:05 amhas anyone here read the book Sam wrote for Amphetamine Sulphate? Is it worth checking out?
It’s very cool - more like an illustrated guide. It’s not a “read” per say but if you’re interested in The Rita it’s really interesting.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

holy ghost wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:59 am
horrorautist wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:05 amhas anyone here read the book Sam wrote for Amphetamine Sulphate? Is it worth checking out?
It’s very cool - more like an illustrated guide. It’s not a “read” per say but if you’re interested in The Rita it’s really interesting.
Is there any text, or is it more of a physical version of the "themes" page on his website?
WCN
Maniacs Only

Post by WCN »

I'm sure most of you are aware and have seen it, but I did a 2.5 hour interview with Sam for WCN Podcast recently where we cover a lot of ground:

https://youtu.be/aD8FkfQ-7Jg
drift
Thrashmaster

Post by drift »

SS1535 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:34 am
drift wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:30 am no-one's mentioned his blog http://bakurita.blogspot.com

yeah, and it's really stubborn/inaccessible nonetheless ha

the site's been running I reckon at least a decade, and its emphasis has shifted a little from what I remember (less Rita Hayworth, more ballet)
turn it up!
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

drift wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:44 pm
SS1535 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:34 am

the site's been running I reckon at least a decade, and its emphasis has shifted a little from what I remember (less Rita Hayworth, more ballet)
I know of the general constellation of themes he likes, but never put them in a timeline. Does anyone know the general progression of his interests? Or has it always been a collection at the same time? I feel like there might have been more sharks/horror themes early on?
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

Post by shrouded.in.antiquity »

Thousands of Dead Gods is probably still my favorite. I read through this thread yesterday and decided to give it a listen last night after work. It does not get old. There are always new lines and details to be discovered in the static. When I was newer to noise, I was looking around online trying to find a copy of the CD. There were a few copies available on discogs that were a little higher than I wanted to pay, but in searching I found the Troniks site and was overjoyed to see they still had copies in stock. This was maybe in 2017 or so, before Troniks started operating again. I was overjoyed to find a new copy for $8 directly from the label. Another favorite I haven't seen mentioned is the Raymonda - Stage Arrangement of Women on Old Europa Cafe. Totally massive sound, an exhilarating listen to say the very least.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Keep finding myself lately checking out The Rita material from herenadthere. Have liked most of what I've heard so far.
drift
Thrashmaster

Post by drift »

Thousands of Dead Gods does not excite me enough (unlike a lot of what he does). Maybe that's the idea
turn it up!
Bleak Existence
Contact Mic

Post by Bleak Existence »

was changing wall - now static crackle - i like that
New Forces
Hard Panning

Post by New Forces »

The Rita - Magazine 2xCD edition coming later this fall...
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

holy ghost wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:59 pm Another one I think is just fantastic is the BT.HN “Vitiated” LP - this thing is so friggin’ heavy, and the packaging is absolutely insane. It blows my mind you can buy this on discogs for like $15.
Thanks for the heads up, just found a copy on Discogs last night and scored it for just $16 with shipping, fees, and everything. Very excited to check this out.

I used to have the BT.HN Totemic Stone tape and stupidly sold it in a purge many years ago, would love to re-acquire it. Wasn't there talks of another repress of it or am I making that up? Just checked the Lark Shark blog and didn't see anything about it.
New Forces wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:43 pm The Rita - Magazine 2xCD edition coming later this fall...
Excellent news! Will be an instant purchase.
puritanwaste
Hard Panning

Post by puritanwaste »

I have a tremendous amount of respect for The Rita, but when it comes to noise—I'm a listener first. And while I appreciate all of the charts and graphs and research going into these newer releases, I've had a really hard time connecting to his recorded work from the last decade or so. Concept and presentation will always take a backseat to the listening experience for me, so I tend to stick with Rita material from '96 to '07 or so.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

New Forces wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:43 pm The Rita - Magazine 2xCD edition coming later this fall...
Fantastic news. That crazy special edition is absolutely wild, I remember when that arrived like it was yesterday…. (will buy the CD version as well).
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:16 am Thanks for the heads up, just found a copy on Discogs last night and scored it for just $16 with shipping, fees, and everything. Very excited to check this out.
You shan’t be disappointed - it’s such a cool record.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Interested in this "The Rita's Cracked Pointe Shoe" thing coming out. I guess a dedicated crackle mini synth?
thedemonfeedback666
C20

Post by thedemonfeedback666 »

k.p.g wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:29 am I HAVE BEEN FUCKING OBSESSED WITH THE RITA AS OF LATELY.

After watching the WCN podcast with Sam, I have come back around to revisiting some releases I have not heard in a while or just straight up dismissed the first time. "Thousands of Dead Gods," "Voyage of the Decima MAS," "Shark at Knife Pointe" and several collabs (Prurient, Skin Crime) have all been rotated into the mix. What releases do you like from Sam that I should check? I know there is plenty to go around, so throw out whatever.
Bodies Bear Traces of Carnal Violence & Creature Drowning You are my favorites.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

So far my experiences with The Rita have been decent. Really like his "basic" harsh stuff.
These ballet/crackle are really interesting, but so far more into the harsh stuff.
-NRRRRK-
Hard Panning

Post by -NRRRRK- »

33033 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:55 am Interested in this "The Rita's Cracked Pointe Shoe" thing coming out. I guess a dedicated crackle mini synth?
I watched a demo-video of the little box. Was expecting something like a whitenoise/crackle generator, but in fact it sounded more like a geiger-counter (as which it is somehow described by the builder as well). So there a more short hits of sound and no continuing layers of crackle or noise. Not my cup of tea.
WCN
Maniacs Only

Post by WCN »

Here's the demo video. https://youtu.be/-wTQtRDN_Kk
It's definitely a very radical sound and approach. I really respect his utter dedication to it though, and I'm curious to see if people can appropriate it and use it in interesting ways that don't just sound like him. He talks about it a lot in the recent AFTERBLAST episode, as well as other crazy gear people have custom built for him throughout the years.