Now Playing

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Re: Now Playing

Post by Capers »

JOE COLLEY - Acting As If 10" (Drone Records, 2022)
Wide open, chilly nocturnal atmosphere. Nocturnal both as in lack of any living presence and as in when things are quiet, you'll realize after a while it really aint that quiet. The smallest sounds all become magnified, come into focus. I come to think of an american thriller of sorts - can't recall the name - where a telephone operator at a call center has too good hearing for his own good, and he can't help but hear every little sound in his surrounding, from people whispering in the other side of the building to the electricity flowing in the wiring inside the walls. That's sort of how it feels listening to Colley's works from the last ten years or so - in a pleasant way, obviously, but with the tension intact. What separates this from the majority of his later releases though is the lack of lung-draining shifts. His signature shifts ARE here, they just don't jumpscare, for lack of a better word, the way the usually do. You just hold your breath the whole way instead. Damn good.

Worth noting is that this 10" is just over 30 minutes long, so don't let the price tag scare you. you'll get your money's worth in both quality AND quantity.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Good grief. I don’t remember all of these being as crushing as they are. If you need a Public Castration-era Swans fix w/o the Swans (weird move, but ok) or if you always wanted your Godflesh to be slower, heavier and more soul-squashing, look no further than Jon Kortland’s (of Iron Lung fame) Pig Heart Transplant. The first LP is right up there with these in terms of weight, but the second LP is a bit misleading if it’s the only thing you’ve heard. Vastly overlooked. Don’t be like me leaving these unplayed for years.
Attachments
IMG_2659.jpg
IMG_2659.jpg (42.9 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
oZiris
Hard Panning

Post by oZiris »

Boris - Vein [Hardcore Version]
Cremation Lily - Funeral Home
Fever Ray - Radical Romantics
Fuck Buttons - Street Horrsing
JPEGMAFIA x Danny Brown - SCARING THE HOES
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

Capers wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:14 pm JOE COLLEY - Acting As If 10" (Drone Records, 2022)
Wide open, chilly nocturnal atmosphere. Nocturnal both as in lack of any living presence and as in when things are quiet, you'll realize after a while it really aint that quiet. The smallest sounds all become magnified, come into focus. I come to think of an american thriller of sorts - can't recall the name - where a telephone operator at a call center has too good hearing for his own good, and he can't help but hear every little sound in his surrounding, from people whispering in the other side of the building to the electricity flowing in the wiring inside the walls. That's sort of how it feels listening to Colley's works from the last ten years or so - in a pleasant way, obviously, but with the tension intact. What separates this from the majority of his later releases though is the lack of lung-draining shifts. His signature shifts ARE here, they just don't jumpscare, for lack of a better word, the way the usually do. You just hold your breath the whole way instead. Damn good.

Worth noting is that this 10" is just over 30 minutes long, so don't let the price tag scare you. you'll get your money's worth in both quality AND quantity.
I'm very much looking forward to checking this out. I have the vinyl but I have VERY limited access to my turntable due to roommates, life, etc. The sample found here, https://www.soundohm.com/product/acting-as-if-10, really piques my interest. I also have the new Deformation Tone and Pleasure Pressure LPs sitting on standby. Going to have a Colley binge night in the very near future. Hoping there is more material in the pipeline with other labels as well. Very happy he has been so motivated to create new material again.
Thomas_B
Contact Mic

Post by Thomas_B »

Knurl - Initial Shock, CD/DVD reissue on Absurd Exposition

Reissue of Knurl’s debut tape. I was super bummed about missing Knurl in Ottawa on April 21st, and the video of the set posted to Instagram just didn’t satiate me. So, I threw this scorcher on and set the volume as high as I could without waking up the sleeping toddler. This is an amazing album, really crisp and unbelievably harsh. I am by no means a Knurl completist, but I have a few releases; however, this is my go-to when I want that single-minded, metal-on-metal impact and scraping, contact mic and high-gain guitar pedal feedback that Knurl is so damn committed to. I fucking love this CD. Looks like Scream and Writhe restocked some copies as if this AM, and I highly recommend you don’t hesitate.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Ashley C - Drift
Spate - Dogmono
Danza Delle Meridiane, Saturnin Sektor split
Serpent Moon - The Dead Sea Meditations
Brutality - In Mourning
Elvis Costello - This Years Model
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

Anal Birth/K9 Hemorrhoids/Jason "Evil" Covelli - Split (Liquid Pathogen Productions) - Gorenoise done right! Noisecore done right! Twisted & perverted spoken word! This is exactly what I would expect from a Liquid Pathogen release, and it rocks. I actually was in attendance for that first Anal Birth live set, so this is a nice way to revisit a blown-out, indiscernible memory lane.

Penis Geyser - Penis Geyser (Reanimated Miscarriage) - Continuing the noisecore kick I have been on with this killer release from Reanimated Miscarriage. Yes, this is the one that comes in a soup can. Tons of blasts paired with very solid blips and bloops of a Japanoise style. Brad Griggs is in this incarnation of the band, so I am not surprised the noise here is so good.

Jonathan Canady - Am I Dreaming? Yellow (Chondritic Sound) - Haven't visited this one in a minute. It was much more minimal & slow to build than I remembered. That isn't a complaint though, as it made for a perfect bedtime record.

666 Volt Battery Noise - Audio Super-Predator (Pure) - What is currently playing as I type this post out. This shit just never lets up! The looped screaming on track 3 got a smirk out of me. This is a record that makes you LOVE NOISE.
Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

INCAPACITANTS - Lon Guy CD (Harbinger Sound, 2009)
Definitely one of the less mentioned and less referenced of their albums. I can see why, but then I CAN'T see why and it's unfair. I mean it's on Harbinger, which alone makes my knees weak and has me searching the room for a chair. Then there's the cover - a good old drinking photo of the two titans wearing the same Borbetomagus shirt. You don't have this CD? Why, you heartless... I just got this disc myself by the way.
On the first three tracks, "Take it!", "Go!" and "Say!", they're wallowing around in some turmoilish nomansland inbetween their past and where they are now (as in 2023). Torn to shreds in harsh psychedelia. Quite wonderful if you're as fond of both those worlds as I am. Track four and five, "After drunken interview (In memory of Koji Tano)" and "Club 24 Forever (Live at Club 24)", is classic chaotic banker action. Varied, full of surprises and spirited on an unmatched level. The live track is especially fantastic with it's blend of ringing tones, frustrated howl and whimper, and mid frequency hardbread gnashing. What this album lacks in 1990's katharsis, it makes up for with so much else.
To sum things up, I'm beyond embarrassed that I didn't pick this up earlier.
Greg
C20

Post by Greg »

Genophobia - Neurodivergent CD
LHD - Limbs of a Fawn CD
Gerritt Wittmer - Creation Stories CD
MO*TE - Regulate Body Temperature CD
Scream & Writhe wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:48 pm Good grief. I don’t remember all of these being as crushing as they are. If you need a Public Castration-era Swans fix w/o the Swans (weird move, but ok) or if you always wanted your Godflesh to be slower, heavier and more soul-squashing, look no further than Jon Kortland’s (of Iron Lung fame) Pig Heart Transplant. The first LP is right up there with these in terms of weight, but the second LP is a bit misleading if it’s the only thing you’ve heard. Vastly overlooked. Don’t be like me leaving these unplayed for years.
So good. PHT & IL both!
A FAIL ASSOCIATION
DADA DRUMMING
SPOTIFY
YOUTUBE
oZiris
Hard Panning

Post by oZiris »

Can - Tago Mago
Jason Crumer - Blood and Tahoe
Scammers - Philipglasscandy
Sickness - Fuck Your Punk Rock!
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

Not a single release they’ve done compares to them Live. Their sparse performances around Seattle were crippling intense & of legend.
Scream & Writhe wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:48 pm Good grief. I don’t remember all of these being as crushing as they are. If you need a Public Castration-era Swans fix w/o the Swans (weird move, but ok) or if you always wanted your Godflesh to be slower, heavier and more soul-squashing, look no further than Jon Kortland’s (of Iron Lung fame) Pig Heart Transplant. The first LP is right up there with these in terms of weight, but the second LP is a bit misleading if it’s the only thing you’ve heard. Vastly overlooked. Don’t be like me leaving these unplayed for years.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

Oh yeah:

Work/Death - Our Quiet Times Together (monorail trespassing)
FANTASTIC!
Thomas_B
Contact Mic

Post by Thomas_B »

Genophobia “Neurodivergent” on Rural Isolation Project.
Stellar harsh noise work.
-NRRRRK-
Hard Panning

Post by -NRRRRK- »

33033 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:12 pm Brutality - In Mourning
There should be way more talk about Brutality. First two albums are brilliant, those melodic leads are mind blowing. Hoping for a repress in the future.
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

Der Eisenrost - Armored Weapon
Tetsuo soundtrack live. Kinda.

Rudolf Eb.er/Dave Phillips/Masonna - Arschloch-Onna
Eb.er and Phillips goofing around, laughing, and Masonna providing harsh blasts in between.

666 Volt Battery Noise - Audio Super-Predator
Great harsh noise. I have a feeling that 666VBN is kind of forgotten? They shouldn't be! One of the few western artists who released an album on Vanilla Records.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Star Elephant In The Snow (Hospital Productions, 2023)

Pre order is up for this 2xCD coming soon. Surprise, surprise it's totally fucking amazing. Not finished it yet but it's like a pure, essential embodiment of this project stretched out over a looong playback time. Not a weak moment so far.
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

Post by shrouded.in.antiquity »

Primitive Wings - Morphosis
I was very eager to hear this disc and it did not disappoint. Features a wide array of sound combinations and fascinating ideas. Can't get enough of it.

Incapacitants & Two Assistant Deputy Ministers - Stocks and Bonds
Picked up a used copy of this with a recent order, a very rewarding listen. Hard to believe it came out almost 25 years ago.

GX Jupitter-Larsen & Allan Zane - Banjax
Sounds like a mining colony on a forgotten moon orbiting a gas giant in an ancient star system. This one fell into my lap when a friend of mine cleaned out his basement and gave me a bag of noise CDs and tapes he had gotten in the mid-2000s. Another gem I got from him was Crawl Unit's "Aftermusic" which I should give another listen soon.
adult human wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:39 am Star Elephant In The Snow (Hospital Productions, 2023)

Pre order is up for this 2xCD coming soon. Surprise, surprise it's totally fucking amazing. Not finished it yet but it's like a pure, essential embodiment of this project stretched out over a looong playback time. Not a weak moment so far.
Very excited to hear this! I haven't been able to pick up any of the other Star releases so I haven't heard much, and usually I would wait until the CDs hit the mailbox but I had to listen to a little bit of what's on bandcamp. No idea what to make of it to be honest with you which is a good thing.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

-NRRRRK- wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:47 am
33033 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:12 pm Brutality - In Mourning
There should be way more talk about Brutality. First two albums are brilliant, those melodic leads are mind blowing. Hoping for a repress in the future.
Agreed. Pretty much on par with the bigger names during that time IMO but never really got the attention they deserved.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

moozz wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:31 am 666 Volt Battery Noise - Audio Super-Predator
Great harsh noise. I have a feeling that 666VBN is kind of forgotten? They shouldn't be! One of the few western artists who released an album on Vanilla Records.
Gone but most assuredly not forgotten in these parts. Name seems to be popping up a bit more of late, as it ought.
htp_systems wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:55 am Incapacitants & Two Assistant Deputy Ministers - Stocks and Bonds
Picked up a used copy of this with a recent order, a very rewarding listen. Hard to believe it came out almost 25 years ago.
Crank the treble!
Tribe Tapes
Thrashmaster

Post by Tribe Tapes »

adult human wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:39 am Star Elephant In The Snow (Hospital Productions, 2023)

Been yearning for new material from Star and this two-hour-long opus scratches that itch. Most of all, I liked the turntable absurdity of Sardine and the almost “basement PE” sound present on Airplane Stopping Short In The Sky. There is lots more nuance to unpack, I’m sure, with further listening.
NihilBaxter
C20

Post by NihilBaxter »

Capers wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:14 pm JOE COLLEY - Acting As If 10" (Drone Records, 2022)

Agreed! I have to admit that i'm not familiar with the majority of his body of work (so far), but after the LP on total black and reading your description, i went straight on and bought that 10". Damn good, indeed.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Tim Olive - Cone
Corral Shut - Ramshackle
Prince - s/t
EyeHateGod - Confederacy Of Ruined Lives
RandomInsults
Blank Tape

Post by RandomInsults »

Just listened to a One Woman Black Metal project "Grot" on Bandcamp - very solid BM really. In this BM genre (atmospheric, ambient BM) vocals are more like texture. Some of the guitar riffs could use some refining, but overall I really like it. This is probably her better release: https://grotblackmetal.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-woodland
Thomas_B
Contact Mic

Post by Thomas_B »

Catching up on a few tapes this morning while I briefly have the house to myself:
Met Glas - Dialoog Met Glas
Murmur - Getting By
Macronympha - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Dressing - Morning Terror, Evening Well
PetiteSoles
Hard Panning

Post by PetiteSoles »

Got lucky and snagged a copy of Koufar’s “My Name is My Name”and listening to that now. Partially through the B-side now and I’m on one of the tracks that I think has a collaborator. So far it’s definitely great and super glad I was finally able to track one of these down.