Now Playing

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Re: Now Playing

Post by Happiness, forever »

I need listen me some Tourette
I have the CD on Troniks but those are all in storage with my life right now
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

Sewer Election - Antarktis

Courtis Posset - Micro-Glottis

Mania - If They Move…Kill ‘Em

Mania - Eros + Massacre

Rotmans - Two

Barrett E. Lediard - Crystallized Shuddering Pagoda
khml
Blank Tape

Post by khml »

Courtis Posset - Micro-Glottis
Barrett E. Lediard - Crystallized Shuddering Pagoda
Evenings - Sounds From The Cubed Corridor
Star - Elephant In The Snow
Bearer - Praxis

diy murk meets isolationist soundscapes meets weird
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

some earthly red noise

all men are pigs is so good!
(fe-mail ft lasse marhaug)

and best noisecore sounds like a cry for help
(geros saturday night big cock salaryman)
Attachments
IMG_20230813_142310.jpg
IMG_20230813_142310.jpg (27.95 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

BREAKING THE WILL - Mortal Terrain Incendiary CD (New Forces, 2020)
Stuck my hand in the towering pile of unlistened CDs and randomly picked this out. Now, besides maybe a compilation track, the only BTW I had heard prior to this was the Choosing Death CD (Terror & NArcolepsia, 2015). My memory of that is that it isn't too far from what Kjostad quickly grew to be, with the Red Iron Knife album (WCN, 2020) being an anomaly. And no when I stick this in, it sounds quite a bit like the latter in many ways; the sharp stereo mischiefs, the constant bombardment, the almost complete lack of relent. This is less focused in terms of everything else though. Stefan's skills are painfully obvious just a few seconds in, but he doesn't let them get in his way, thankfully. The sounds (ye standard modern harsh palette) and the sound, while exceptionally full, isn't anything special, but the balance between skill and recklessness is perfect. It makes the album. Charming nonchalance. I find myself chuckling in my chair, it's just too damn great! File somewhere inbetween TEF's Framework, Pain Jerk's Gallon Gravy, random 90's Facialmess and some old looney bin americanoise, and it will make perfect sense. Come to think of it, that specific quality - charming pro' nonchalance - is perhaps what I'm missing in the Form Hunter albums (Stefan Aune and Weston Czerkies). Just a wee bit more loose and careless performance. But perhaps I went into those albums with slightly wrong expectations after seeing them live in 2019 when they wreaked havoc at Summer Scum - an amazing showcase of both skill and unhinged madness. Anyway, BTW - Mortal Terrain Incendiary, jeez.
JuntaCadre
Hard Panning

Post by JuntaCadre »

^ Listened to this a few times in the past month. Shard Sweep rules.
What Abraham found easiest, I would have found hard, namely to be joyful again with Isaac

Herukrat, Junta Cadre, Commuter.

https://juntacadre.bandcamp.com/
https://newforces.bandcamp.com/album/no-longer-penitent
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

Aprapat - Hot Lava Shampoo
The Rita - O.C.D Shin
The Fuckings - s/t
The New Boyfriends - s/t

All of these are amazing. The Fuckings tape is super overlooked, absolutely magnificent stuff.
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

Deterge - Unintentional (Fusty)
A short but killer ripper from Jim. Just when you think you figured out Deterge as a project, stuff like this comes along. Nice.

Evil Moisture/Shredded Nerve/Jackson-Pratt - Untitled (Imperial Sperm)
I’m assuming this is Bolus working the source here for this one. Outside of a couple fleeting moments, the volume on this tape barely reaches above a whisper. I wanted to like this one more than I did.

Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

Going into last night/today's listenings...

Eugene Chadbourne - Guitar Freakout (self-released)
My roommates dad dug up this tape he got from Eugene when he saw him back in the 90s. A-Side is all amplified rake, while the B-Side sounds like a cut-up record of every dad that has ever noodled around in a Guitar Center. Ripped hard.

Macronympha - Baroque (Industrial Recollections)
What’s currently playing as I type this out. The legend backing this release is well-earned.

Scathing - I Hope This Weapon Finds You Well (self-released)
An absolute scorcher from one Texas crew’s finest. Love the packaging this one is in as well.

Deterge - Accrete to Me (New Forces)
My Deterge kick continues. Is this his best one? Possibly - I’m a really big fan of it. Jim is pretty good at doing a lot in such a short runtime.

Viodre - Drawing Horses (self-released)
Viodre is back! This tape is fucking awesome. It is a total auditory hallucination. Going to need to give it another listen, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t make my end of the year list.

Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

Capers wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:44 pm BREAKING THE WILL - Mortal Terrain Incendiary CD (New Forces, 2020)
Stuck my hand in the towering pile of unlistened CDs and randomly picked this out. Now, besides maybe a compilation track, the only BTW I had heard prior to this was the Choosing Death CD (Terror & NArcolepsia, 2015). My memory of that is that it isn't too far from what Kjostad quickly grew to be, with the Red Iron Knife album (WCN, 2020) being an anomaly. And no when I stick this in, it sounds quite a bit like the latter in many ways; the sharp stereo mischiefs, the constant bombardment, the almost complete lack of relent. This is less focused in terms of everything else though. Stefan's skills are painfully obvious just a few seconds in, but he doesn't let them get in his way, thankfully. The sounds (ye standard modern harsh palette) and the sound, while exceptionally full, isn't anything special, but the balance between skill and recklessness is perfect. It makes the album. Charming nonchalance. I find myself chuckling in my chair, it's just too damn great! File somewhere inbetween TEF's Framework, Pain Jerk's Gallon Gravy, random 90's Facialmess and some old looney bin americanoise, and it will make perfect sense. Come to think of it, that specific quality - charming pro' nonchalance - is perhaps what I'm missing in the Form Hunter albums (Stefan Aune and Weston Czerkies). Just a wee bit more loose and careless performance. But perhaps I went into those albums with slightly wrong expectations after seeing them live in 2019 when they wreaked havoc at Summer Scum - an amazing showcase of both skill and unhinged madness. Anyway, BTW - Mortal Terrain Incendiary, jeez.
Choosing Death is an anomaly in the Breaking The Will discography. That CD was a big disappointment for me when it came out. There had been several tapes with that relentless harsh noise but the CD was nothing like that. Afterwards BTW "returned to form" and the Mortal Terrain Incendiary is a fine example of that. I have not heard all Breaking The Will (if anyone has an extra Active Nihilism tape, July 2013 Tour 3x tape or the Industrial Historical Document Part 3, please get in touch) but nothing else has been as quiet and restrained as Choosing Death. Breaking The Will is definitely my favourite Stefan Aune project.

And naturally Red Iron Knife is my fave Kjostad album :)
Tribe Tapes
Thrashmaster

Post by Tribe Tapes »

Bob Marinelli / Flutter
Excellent harsh noise. Very heavy on the digital effects abuse side of 90s noise (i.e. Dachise, Grace Brother...)

Various - Spagyric
Comp released via Agog / Damian Bisciglia's label. Good variety of tracks from Dinosaurs With Horns, Minóy, Croiners, etc.

z.B.u.ä. - P V S S
Japanese project similar in style to contemporary Rudolf Eb.er and Schimpfluch but with a martial bent.
murmur
Hard Panning

Post by murmur »

Blind Date - Thank You (Usagi)

Come and See/MS split (Bent Window)

G*Park - Sub (23five)

Spate - Dogmono (Sinkhole Entertainment)

Publication Ban - Coerced Migration (Dogmatics in Outline)
New Forces
Hard Panning

Post by New Forces »

moozz wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:34 pm
Capers wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:44 pm BREAKING THE WILL - Mortal Terrain Incendiary CD (New Forces, 2020)
Choosing Death is an anomaly in the Breaking The Will discography. That CD was a big disappointment for me when it came out. There had been several tapes with that relentless harsh noise but the CD was nothing like that. Afterwards BTW "returned to form" and the Mortal Terrain Incendiary is a fine example of that. I have not heard all Breaking The Will (if anyone has an extra Active Nihilism tape, July 2013 Tour 3x tape or the Industrial Historical Document Part 3, please get in touch) but nothing else has been as quiet and restrained as Choosing Death. Breaking The Will is definitely my favourite Stefan Aune project.

You're definitely a true harsh maniac Osku, I think of "Choosing Death" as a very aggressive album and hardly quiet and restrained!
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

V/A - America Salutes Merzbow (Vinyl Communications)
Currently playing as I type this… Honestly, the idea of tribute records have always carried a negative connotation for me. If I wanted to hear the songs done right, I’d go and listen to the actual band. But this one piqued my interest too much to pass up. How do you pay tribute to an artist like Merzbow? Using him as source? Making Sonic references to certain recorded works? And hey, who the hell are half the artists on here?? Excited to see where this one takes me, especially when a good chunk of the players didn’t do much else beyond this disc.

Omit - Recycled (RRR)
An all time favorite from the Recycled series that will find its way into my listening sessions time and time again. A perfect demonstration in synth-based, freak ambience. Trust me when I say you won’t walk away spending the $4 on this one.

T.E.F./Bastard Noise - Astronomical Sound Images (Troniks)
This is a crusher. There is so much peace to be found within these chaotic composition. I caught myself in a trance during some of the most insane T.E.F. cut-ups around here. This is the kind of work I look for in a collaboration between 2 artists.

Demon Life - Demon Life (Flat Plastic)
I’ve been lucky to pretty much follow this project from the beginning - literally, their first show. This is the kind of effort I knew they were capable of putting out. An unsettling, psychedelic dirge envelopes you throughout the run time of this tape. There is no peace, welcome to Hell; here’s the soundtrack.

Work/Death - From an Inescapable Circle (Three Songs of Lenin)
I won’t lie, I wasn’t exactly pumped on this one a few minutes into it. “This is just a distorted field recording,” I thought. Fuck me for being so stupid. This is a release that demands repeated & focused listening. Each listen has provided me with a different point of sonic beauty to latch onto. Scott really was unlike any other to do it. The B-Side in particular is such a fantastic love letter to the lower end of the Sonic spectrum. Hails.

Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

k.p.g wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:15 pm T.E.F./Bastard Noise - Astronomical Sound Images (Troniks)
This is a crusher. There is so much peace to be found within these chaotic composition. I caught myself in a trance during some of the most insane T.E.F. cut-ups around here. This is the kind of work I look for in a collaboration between 2 artists.
I was never a Bastard Noise fan but this one is excellent. The artists' styles are so far from each other that this becomes something new and interesting. Great, great record.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

Two s/sided C60s while the kiddo takes a nap.

V/A - HTW (Hatband, 2002)
Solid old compilation featuring Ochu, Drone Lebanon, Taint, Irgun Zwai Leumi, Green Army Fraction, Treriksröset, something written in runic and Proiekt Hat. While Ochu, Taint and Treriksröset are all somewhat aggro here and the rest more subdued, it has a very consistent vibe throughout. A half hour of dying apparatus and hazardous wiring in damp cramped spaces. Excellent gloom.
Love the fact that this was only given away for free with orders and over merch tables. New copies were made a couple of years ago and again only sent out for free when you ordered vinyl from Millstone. Sucks if you missed out, hah.

AUBE - Hydrophobia (Vanilla, 1991)
Much more grime and dirt in this early piece than, well, anything he did later. Already with Spindrift in 1992 he sounded crisp and super controlled. You can tell where he's headed though. Layer added upon layer with processed and distorted sounds of water, but with skill, keeping it spacious. Gushing subterranean cataracts and creak-cranking machinery en masse. Depth and dirt! Really good.
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

Sissy Spacek - Absorb Wanting Symbols (Petite Soles)
A fantastic addition to the expanded ensemble catalog for Sissy Spacek. Seeing how the band takes the likes of Dilloway, the Ramirezes & Bill Nace to such sonic territories that all work together is a thrilling time.

Skin Crime - A Legacy of Blood (Self Abuse)
None greater. This one just feels like the group plugged in & jammed, minimal edits. They are truly masters of their craft.

AMK - Crowns (Oxen)
This one surprised me!! It’s so much more drone-influenced than I had expected from the project. I really dug, and will need to listen again. Maybe it’s because I’ve listened to so much of him recently, but much of this reminded me of Work/Death.

Bastard Noise - If It Not Be True (Vermiform)
This may have snuck into my top 5 for the group. A 2 disc, 90 minute set that feels quicker than its actual run time. I find myself loving these earlier Bastard Noise discs more and more lately. There is a certain charm to them that only 90s noise can have; where it really just sounds like a group of guys making whatever sounds they can with whatever minimal gear they got.

Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

New Forces wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:25 am
moozz wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:34 pm

You're definitely a true harsh maniac Osku, I think of "Choosing Death" as a very aggressive album and hardly quiet and restrained!
I'm with New Forces.

...but you can sorta see where that sentiment (qua moozz) is coming from, at least referencing certain slutbagly suggestions once entertained re- Choosing Death (scroll down a bit), the opening line of which reads, quote
Here's something to confuse the harsheads
endquote

But actually, yeah, MTI registers in these 'holes as a clear and unambiguous progression from the preeminent (and fuller-on) elements of CD, with respect to the rich and multihued heaving textural densities in play. He say high-minded concept, she say harshasalmightyfuck razorripped scorchspastic. Who am I to judge?
Last edited by Joie de la Blumpy on Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

moozz wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:54 am
k.p.g wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:15 pm T.E.F./Bastard Noise - Astronomical Sound Images (Troniks)
I was never a Bastard Noise fan but this one is excellent. The artists' styles are so far from each other that this becomes something new and interesting. Great, great record.
Though not necessarily interacting among the same electromagnetic clusters, some spectral overlap might be detected within TEF's Saturn Ring Plane Hazard, less than half of which—per the title!— would be immediately recognizable as emanating from within the broader TEF oeuvre; and possibly to be counted among my all-time favorite TEFs for this very reason. (This very reason, read: a more cosmic TEF iteration than might otherwise have been anticipated.) Nor would it surprise me to learn that some of the SRPH source materials were recorded round about the sessions that would have produced materials for the Bastid collab, though I may be reading a bit too deeply into say The Pleiades Cluster.

Context might duly consider the whole cosmic turn the Japan-n-friends contingent were briefly apt to wink n nod at, I mean, at least once per discog, a la Cosmic Incapacitants, Space Metalizer, Vestal Spacey Ritual (circa '96-8-ish). Seems appropriate that if TEF were to have pursued something of an effort in the general vicinity, it'd have to have been issued on a Japanese label (Xerxes). Course, nothing is ever quite as it seems now is it?
Jonathan Bergen
Sound Art

Post by Jonathan Bergen »

Dead Body Love - Prayers For The Sick (Reissue Tribe Tapes)
Green Tea - Snowblower (New Forces)
Incapacitants - D.D.D.D. (Reissue AAD)
Government Alpha and Scum - Swamp Attack (Reissue Oxen)
parasitenurse
C20

Post by parasitenurse »

Carrie DeCunzo - End Of Signs An incredible piece of spoken word, vocalization, field recording and synthesis. One of the hardest working people in experimental music imo.

Bastard Noise and TEF Listened based on the recommendation here. Not huge into BN but together with TEF it made for a highly pleasurable listening experience.
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

Used some funds on Bandcamp Friday to purchase older Emeralds digitally for archiving and to re-listen to some older material. Still come back to Emeralds quite often and the material holds up for me. Still have a few of the originals of these but don't want to wear out the tapes!

Laying Under Leaves
Golden Swirl
Vaporizer
Planetarium
Smoke Signals
Servant
Allegory of Allergies (Full 120-minute cut)

I really like Laying Under Leaves, Vaporizer, Planetarium, Smoke Signals, and Servant. Recommendations outside of the usual albums or more well-known tapes if you haven't checked them out before.
snowdrops
Sound Art

Post by snowdrops »

Gemengung, Ruins of Convenience (Mechanical Presence)

This project has yet to release anything short of great but this one is his best and probably my favorite harsh release of the year at this point.
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

+DOG+ - Recycled (RRR)
The man, Steve Davis, in rare form here. Lots of weird, crude, harsh noise going on here. The legacy of +DOG+ to American harsh noise deserves a neither spotlight on it.

Defektro - Forged Seeds (Grog Pappy)
An all-time great of both Australian & rhythmic noise. The way Hiro can build up a loop to the point of total hypnosis upon the listener is always a thrill. B Side is a live set that I was lucky to be in attendance for back in 2018. Criminally underrated noise king.

Like Rabbits - Tell Me Why You Hate Me (Kitty Play Records)
This tape kicks more ass than I remembered. KPR head honcho Mark Blumenthal mixes nasty synth ripping with a variety of conversations taken on iPhone voice memos. I tried getting him to record a follow up for years, to no avail. Maybe this tape is just too good to even attempt a follow up to.

Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

Previously posted how I was revisiting some older Emeralds material. I've also started revisiting some of the Mark McGuire solo material. He truly had a unique brand of ambient music that I can't get enough of, even years later. Each tape is some of my favorite material from the 2000s. Can't tell you how many drunk/stoned/sober nights that these were my soundtrack.

Guitar Meditations in particular is an incredible release. Old Hag's Cackle pt. II is also strikingly good, only limited to 50 somehow. Old Hag's Cackle is oddly paired with an absurd amount of The Shining samples and beautiful looped guitar melodies that strike up an odd pairing of exquisite music.

Guitar Meditations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM02d17 ... ygenlounge
An Old Hags Cackle, Pt. 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrCwL6 ... amedot.com
Open Chords: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6afqP_j ... =HEADSPACE
Light Movement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn9cWvc ... =HEADSPACE
The Garden Of Eternal Life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FblErFy ... ygenlounge
Attachments
Mark McGuire Tapes.jpg
Mark McGuire Tapes.jpg (28.29 KiB) Viewed 2033 times