prized possessions

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
drift
Thrashmaster

prized possessions

Post by drift »

not gear, books or memorabilia, what are the best recordings you own?

I have some fondness for a small hijokaidan collection and some Whitehouse reissues. most of what I have is worthless or not really me.
Last edited by drift on Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
turn it up!
Pigswill
C20

Re: prize possessions

Post by Pigswill »

A few that I have would include:
- My small Whitehouse collection of 12"s of Asceticists, Cruise, Erector, and Wriggle Like a Fucking Eel, plus Cream of the Second Coming on CD
- A 12" of NON's Physical Evidence
- The 7" comp "Your Biggest Problem is Behind You"
- Due Process – RRRadio Six 12"
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

2xlp genocide organ ‘remember’ signed to John Murphy which I got for free.

All my gerogerigegege, particularly the ones I got in japan.

A few blood stereo/dylan nyoukis test presses with various rude, insulting messages written on them.

Numerous early Josh Peterson cassettes and a few private, personalised releases.

Wesley Willis/Zeni Geva ‘split’ alternative tentacles promo cassette found for 99p in oxfam.

Most of my stepdad’s lp collection which feature pristine original copies of all kinds of classic stuff (Beatles, VU, Steely Dan, Zappa etc). Probably worth a packet but I’ll never sell.

Totally ubiquitous, not hard to find, unimpressive cd copy of Black Flag’s ‘Damaged’ simply because I’ve had it for over half my life and listening to it has often rescued me from shitty times.
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

My Southamerican noisecore tape collection. I think I have some things even Mikko A doesn't have.

My OG Sarcófago "Inri" LP + Pentagram from Chile's 7" + OG Enslaved "Frost" LP + OG Absu "Tara" LP (some of my favourite extreme metal ever. Not especially rare now but all of them are in great shape and it's just nice to have them.)

À bunch of private tapes from Höh and Josh Peterson as well, which aren't intended to be valuable since most of them is more us exchanging music through the mail than anything else, but there's a lot of unreleased material on them.

Some Japanese hardcore 7"es and tapes that are really good even if they're not always hard to find or very expensive (although some are. Good luck finding that Mustang/Etae split tape for instance.)

I also have a collection of 40ish mixtapes filled with awesome punk and metal that an older friend of mine who's famous in France and abroad for being an early tape trader (he's on Napalm Death' "Scum"'s thank list for instance) and making killer tape art (and playing in great bands) made for me in the pre-Internet days when I was a teenager. He's been hugely influential for me. It has no real financial value but the music on them is great, the art is amazing, and while he's made a lot of mixtapes for people over the years, I don't think anyone has got as many as I do from him.
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
Vast Field Magnetism
C20

Post by Vast Field Magnetism »

~ Mothers Of Invention - Freak Out! original Canadian pressing (first album I ever owned and a direct gateway into the shit I listen to these days)

~ Hands To tapes, particularly Eurean Recant and a gorgeous wooden Artiment boxset that Jeph made for me.

~ Chop Shop - Scraps tape (a top-five-of-all-time recording, in elaborate, very well made packaging)

~ MSBR - Fracture Of Silence tape (duh)

~ Spencer Clark/James Ferraro recordings across various formats. I can't quite convey how important those two goobers' work is to me.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

* The Misifts - Static Age LP
Not my first record or my first purchase, but the first record I ordered myself! I think I was 13. It's so worn and torn by now that I wouldn't get much for it anyway, but it stays with me.

* All the death and thrash metal I have left from my late teens and early twenties. They were extremely cheap back then compared with today (I remember thinking I was stupid for paying circa 35€ for first press Sarcofago - INRI). I sold some when I studied in 2006 and was short on cash, thinking I could still get for example Death - SBG on first UK press for 15€ again when school was over... Yeah right. Not sure when prices skyrocketed, but I'm keeping what I have left, that's for sure.

* Sewer Election - For Hilma C40
Got this last year from the artist, recorded for my then newborn daughter. Beautiful gesture, and an incredibly loud and wild tape.
Emil Corbelli
C20

Post by Emil Corbelli »

Last edited by Emil Corbelli on Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian O'Blivion
Hard Panning

Post by Brian O'Blivion »

Back when I was collecting records, I used to chase down original pressings if they were within my budget. Mostly bought them while travelling. A few I was particularly excited to own were:

Anthony Braxton - Five Pieces 1975
Brainbombs - Urge To Kill
Derek Bailey - Lot 74: Solo Improvisations
Iannis Xenakis - Metastasis / Pithoprakta / Eonta
Jeffrey Morgan - Quasar-Mach
Karlheinz Stockhausen - Kommunion / Intensität
Kraftwerk - Ralf & Florian
Peter Brötzmann & Bill Laswell - Low Life
Purrkurr Pillnikk - Ehgjl En:
Whitehouse - Erector
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

Unspooled Govt Alpha tape in a bag. Best shit I never knew.
W.K.
C20

Post by W.K. »

drift wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:31 am not gear, books or memorabilia, what are the best recordings you own?

I have some fondness for a small hijokaidan collection and some Whitehouse reissues. most of what I have is worthless or not really me.
What's wrong with books?
elektrik winds
Blank Tape

Post by elektrik winds »

Carnivore - I Am A Meat Eater 12"
Carnivore - Deliver Us To Evil 12"
Type O Negative - Slower, Deeper And Harder 12"
John Eden
Contact Mic

Post by John Eden »

All the Vagina Dentata Organ albums. Timeless classics.

Quite a few OG pressings of TG and Nocturnal Emissions too.

A nice stack of 7” by The Haters and GX.

Oh and a signed copy of Coil’s “Anal Staircase”. A friend wrote recently that all vinyl is haunted by ghosts. Doubly so with this one.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

John Eden wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:49 pm All the Vagina Dentata Organ albums. Timeless classics.

A friend wrote recently that all vinyl is haunted by ghosts.
I want some context for this take.
John Eden
Contact Mic

Post by John Eden »

SS1535 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:29 pm
John Eden wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:49 pm All the Vagina Dentata Organ albums. Timeless classics.

Well he is a practitioner of Voudon and here is his take:
https://twitter.com/spaceweather9/statu ... b6DrleQx1w
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

John Eden wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:56 pm
SS1535 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:29 pm

Well he is a practitioner of Voudon and here is his take:
https://twitter.com/spaceweather9/statu ... b6DrleQx1w
Quite a perspective! While I doubt that there are any ghosts haunting any of the mass-produced pop records at my local department store, I like the idea that some old voodoo jazz albums in the deep south might be bound to a spectral presence.
ddmurph
Contact Mic

Post by ddmurph »

Yeast Culture IYS: Field Tapes box ... https://www.discogs.com/release/5242967 ... ield-Tapes ... aside from looking incredible, to hear these source tapes after years of being obsessed by the IYS LP totally blew my mind. That LP always seemed so mysterious to me (still does, even with the source material and process now laid bare). I was lucky enough to pick up most (all?) of the trove of Petri Supply releases around the same period (2010 to around 2014 I think?).

Hans Arp Liest Hans Arp 10" that I got for £1 in a charity shop on holidays in the UK ... https://www.discogs.com/release/1270816 ... t-Hans-Arp

A number of Adam Bohman "talking tapes", especially one where he sings along to Bryan Adams Summer of '69 on the radio. There must be 100's (1000's?) of these "talking tapes" out there, all individual, all stone cold classics no doubt. Absolute hero ... beautiful human being.
W.K.
C20

Post by W.K. »

Emil Corbelli wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:09 pm All my Urashima Sacher-Pelz and M.B. records. I know they are nothing rare but I'm forever grateful to have them on vinyl as they are among my favorite recordings of all time.
It's a great thing he re-releases those obscure albums but I never get it why he isn't honoring the original artworks of those early tapes.
Emil Corbelli
C20

Post by Emil Corbelli »

W.K. wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:02 am
Emil Corbelli wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:09 pm All my Urashima Sacher-Pelz and M.B. records. I know they are nothing rare but I'm forever grateful to have them on vinyl as they are among my favorite recordings of all time.
It's a great thing he re-releases those obscure albums but I never get it why he isn't honoring the original artworks of those early tapes.
I agree i love the original cassette covers especially for the Sacher-Pelz tapes. Maybe he didn't have high resolution scans to use? But even then I'm sure someone out there could have helped out with that. I personally don't care for most of the covers he used on the Bianchi re-issues but i love the recordings nonetheless. My least favorite is probably the covers he used for the Kranium re-releases.
drift
Thrashmaster

Post by drift »

W.K. wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:01 pm
drift wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:31 am not gear, books or memorabilia, what are the best recordings you own?

What's wrong with books?
what's wrong with gear?

books are great. I have a few unusual ones, but nothing bona fide valuable, I think. some limited runs, some limited runs with bonus features, out of print stuff... the best book I had was just badly bound, so that I had to tear each page individually from the others. it was an academic press, but I got the impression that they'd all be like that. oops, if so.
turn it up!
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

I don't have a whole lot of rare/valuable/known/sought-after material in the realm of noise. Plenty of one-offs from friends and nobodies, thought that doesn't count. I do have one special one-off 3" CD-R that's quite special to me personally, and some CD-r's from people who have since died as well that I value highly.

I guess the "coolest" thing to the largest number of people would be my sealed copy of the Kingdom of Noise: Japanese Noise Selection video though.
W.K.
C20

Post by W.K. »

drift wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:58 am

What's wrong with books?
what's wrong with gear?

books are great. I have a few unusual ones, but nothing bona fide valuable, I think. some limited runs, some limited runs with bonus features, out of print stuff... the best book I had was just badly bound, so that I had to tear each page individually from the others. it was an academic press, but I got the impression that they'd all be like that. oops, if so.
I can already see new topics "most priced gear obsessions", "most prized book collections", "best food inspections" haha.
W.K.
C20

Post by W.K. »

I think Ramleh Awake! Boxset still sits on top, together with the Acrelid Illigal rave tapes boxset, and after that a few individual tapes or 7" that are special to me.
drift
Thrashmaster

Post by drift »

W.K. wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:58 pm
drift wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:58 am

What's wrong with books?
what's wrong with gear?

I can already see new topics "most priced gear obsessions", "most prized book collections", "best food inspections" haha.
haha. most prized non-possessions. it's just a pic of TNB inside a vacuum tube.
turn it up!
MuhSteve
Hard Panning

Post by MuhSteve »

I guess my most prized possessions are :

Vagina Dentata Organ "Allegory Of Cosmic Violence" CDR on Tochnit Aleph. I was fortunate to be at the Berlin performance.
https://www.discogs.com/release/3567650 ... c-Violence

The Dead Mauriacs "Un Puzzle - One Sorte De Portrait" 3x3"CDR on N.P.H. A one-off release made especially for my MuhMur Radio programme.
https://www.discogs.com/release/7410283 ... e-Portrait

Aaron Dilloway "The Gag File" on Dais Records. I treasure all my Dilloway stuff, but this one has a special memory of a time I spent with Aaron in Hull.
https://www.discogs.com/release/1020684 ... e-Gag-File
WCN
Maniacs Only

Post by WCN »

I'm really not a wild collector. When I moved to Germany, I left my entire record/tape/CD collection in boxes in my mom's basement. I've slowly started my collection over here, but I keep it quite lean due to space, financial, and logistical reasons. It's mostly just contemporary releases I like to listen to, and I'm regularly trimming it. There are a few particularly special items, especially those hand-made one-off things from certain artists/friends. The super special edition of the self-titled TRERIKSRÖSET tape, with absolutely over the top packaging and presentation. A few Tjäcktapes related hip-hop bootlegs made with an incredible amount of love and care - WU-TANG live in Sweden in 1997, DJ PREMIER live in Sweden in 2005, and radio documentary specials on BUN B, SLIM THUG, and the chopped-n-screwed scene. Also a 1998 tape by S.P.I.T. called "Bite." S.P.I.T. was a project of Scott Houston of RESPIRATOR, member of BLJ and THRESHOLD OF SLEEP, etc. It's really not very good, but I'm a big fan of the guy's work and curious about his legacy, plus it was on the German label Scrotum Records, so I have fond memories of tracking it down when I moved here and was still romanticizing Germany.