Climax Denial's 'INDOLENCE'

Dedicated reviews section. All writers welcome.
My Face, Her Knee Pads
Contact Mic

Climax Denial's 'INDOLENCE'

Post by My Face, Her Knee Pads »

This is an album with a great deal of replay value. It represents the convergence of the two aesthetics explored on Climax Denial's two previous releases, the steel-wool-as-sticky-tape harsh noise of Asexual Electricity and the overwhelming, dread-saturated power electronics of Confessional. The first two tracks of Indolence are, unfortunately, a little unmemorable for me, but the remaining three are outstanding. "III (Mental)" and "Last Chance" are direct continuations of Asexual Electricity, but with more subtlety and equally breathtaking textures, reminding me at times of tin foil. My favourite track, however, is "Shell in Muscle: Fantastic Passion." That one would be very much at home on Confessional, with its freaking-out-in-secret drone, dazed found sound ambience, and well-executed vocals. I can't praise "Shell in Muscle" enough - it really captures the feeling of being genuinely incapable of looking away from something you know you shouldn't be looking at. Maybe that's just me projecting, though...
Often laughed at or formally complained about.