Burial Hex's 'GAUZE'

Dedicated reviews section. All writers welcome.
My Face, Her Knee Pads
Contact Mic

Burial Hex's 'GAUZE'

Post by My Face, Her Knee Pads »

Okay, one more. Up until I heard this album, I'd never been particularly impressed by Burial Hex, so Gauze took me completely by surprise. The craziest thing about it is that it sounds exactly like Coil, and yet it doesn't come across as plagiarised in any way. It's as though one project inherited the other. Gauze also reminds me, somehow, of Statiqbloom, Svarte Greiner, and Trent Reznor (when he isn't being a massive sellout...), and not one sound out of place, which, again, is crazy. "Lion's Breath" and "Double Scorpio" are the highest points of an album which has nothing to forgive at its worst and is thrillingly transcendent at its best. "Lion's Breath" is stern, committed, and groovy - something of a call to arms, with its tribal but unmistakably modern percussion, as well as the grey vocal clouds. "Double Scorpio" is the warm, male sibling of Coil's cold, female "Dark River." I refuse to describe it any further, but I will add that the vocals on this track, not to mention on the entire album, are flawless. If I were to be so bold as to (attempt to) boil down Gauze to a single statement, it would be this: "there are other worlds. Here they are." Here they are, indeed.
Often laughed at or formally complained about.