V/A – Poison Vol. IV

Dedicated reviews section. All writers welcome.
sarinDK
Contact Mic

V/A – Poison Vol. IV

Post by sarinDK »

This is the fourth installment in New Approach Record’s thematic compilation series and it is by far the most ambitious one. With a grand total of 31 tracks from different artists, this 3 CD set contains material across the genres of power electronics, noise and post-industrial.

Compilations have always been an exciting opportunity to get a selection of tracks from unexplored artists and fan favorites alike and provide stepping stones towards their respective discographies. Poison Vol. IV certainly has been just that for me. While being familiar with about two thirds of the roster I was able to pick up on a handful artists I had not known or wrongfully ignored before.
Every single track has been exclusively been submitted for this project.

There is no mediocre material on here. Some tracks stick quite loosely to the “poison” thematic, however the sonic side is well presented all across the board. A 160+ minutes intoxicating journey of sound. With most of the artists not active before the 2010s it is fair to say that this is a ‘contemporary’ display, and it certainly hones the craft.

The CDs are packaged in a glossy black over-sized envelope with a 16 page booklet (the special edition contains an additional 16 page art zine by Manuel Pereira which I recommend to pick up if it is still available). DIY packaging and visual presentation are pleasing, and while not as offbeat as the wooden box of Vol.II or the Vol. III tin can, it does the sound and theme justice.

We have recently been blessed with quite a few exciting compilations in the underground, ‘Remorseless Greed’, ‘The first cut’ and ‘Neue Sachlichkeit’ to name a few. “Poison Vol. IV” is sure to join these ranks and I highly recommend it to all those who enjoy heavy electronics and noise.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Re: V/A – Poison Vol. IV

Post by SS1535 »

sarinDK wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:50 am We have recently been blessed with quite a few exciting compilations in the underground, ‘Remorseless Greed’, ‘The first cut’ and ‘Neue Sachlichkeit’ to name a few. “Poison Vol. IV” is sure to join these ranks and I highly recommend it to all those who enjoy heavy electronics and noise.
Don't forget the recent "Breathing Wounds" comp as well.