Fitness

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
MiseryEngine
C20

Fitness

Post by MiseryEngine »

I noticed right away that a lot of noise/PE people are into fitness/eating well/weight lifting so I figured this may be an interesting space for that type of discussion.
What sort of physical activities are you into?
Personally, I’m really into weight lifting (bodybuilding variety, not power lifting or CrossFit style stuff) and I lift four times a week 1.5 hours each without fail. I find it to be tremendously therapeutic for my mental health as well as my physical health. I also eat insanely clean to the extent that I now look forward to my “boring” meals. If anyone reading this is curious about getting started or sharing their own experiences please share!
truetildeaf
Contact Mic

Re: Fitness

Post by truetildeaf »

I fell off my healthy habits in late 2019 because I had a nagging injury from jiujitsu and also was grieving the loss of my dog. Been slowly easing back into things - it’s funny but even with 20 years of vegan eating under my belt it’s still so easy to fall back on bad eating habits and just exist off pasta and soda. Working on that is a high priority. Been working with a personal trainer more lately just doing mobility work mostly. I miss lifting, but most of all I miss jiujitsu. I was only a 2-stripe white belt but I truly enjoyed grappling.
MiseryEngine
C20

Post by MiseryEngine »

truetildeaf wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:17 pm I fell off my healthy habits in late 2019 because I had a nagging injury from jiujitsu and also was grieving the loss of my dog. Been slowly easing back into things - it’s funny but even with 20 years of vegan eating under my belt it’s still so easy to fall back on bad eating habits and just exist off pasta and soda. Working on that is a high priority. Been working with a personal trainer more lately just doing mobility work mostly. I miss lifting, but most of all I miss jiujitsu. I was only a 2-stripe white belt but I truly enjoyed grappling.
Hell yeah man it seems like martial arts are a big thing in the scene too!
Healthy physical habits lend so much to a healthy mind it’s simply indispensable. I fought Muay Thai for five years in my 20s but after a couple of injuries I had to lay off. Great to hear you’re getting back into the swing of things brother!
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

Post by shrouded.in.antiquity »

I ride my bike a lot during the summer. There's a lot of nice bike paths on the Mississippi river close to where I live and I'm really missing that right now. Especially with the sub-zero temps in the Midwest.
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

I'm coming up on the first anniversary of actually sticking to a fitness regimen for the first time in my life. From fall of 2019 to February of last year, I repeatedly threw my back out, and ended up spending over two full months of that time periodically laying flat on my back for weeks at a time. Finally started working out doing basic exercises with my wife last year, haven't thrown my back out since.

Outside of that, cycling from about March to October when the weather is nice - I'm also in the Midwest, I'm not geared for cycling in sub-zero temps like some of my friends are! But I did 900 miles on the bike last year, a personal best.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

I ran a 10k a couple of years ago but I've slumped. Got a new stationary bike for the household so my wife could cancel her gym membership, and I generally don't like working out outside of my house. It's decent but I feel often a bit wiped at the end of a work day so I have to get my shit together and just do it.
-NRRRRK-
Hard Panning

Post by -NRRRRK- »

Been lifting 3 times a week for the last 10+ years, only as a hobby, no contests or whatever. A mix of powerlifting exercises and some bb stuff (mostly for the ego).
Since the fourth corona wave is raging around here I decided to stay away from the studio, since there are too many people not wearing masks, not keeping distance etc. Been almost six months now.
Going to start lifting again as soon as I got my booster shot though (which should be in about two weeks).

Not lifting for a longer time has been a good learning experience though, since it shows how the body will change without the stimulation of lifting weights. Lost a good amount of weight and size. Nothing is forever.
Haare
C20

Post by Haare »

I've practiced Shorinji Kempo since 1996 or thereabouts, 3rd dan black belt at the moment. Covid has made it really hard to do anything for some Time now, but I'll return to active practice as soon as possible. Saldo enjoy going to the gym and swimming. Eating healthier than most of My friends, been a vegetarian since the nineties.
DeathOrgone
Contact Mic

Post by DeathOrgone »

Right before the pandemic I started a regimen of biking to work, Krav Maga once a week and gym two times a week. This all crumbled with Covid.

I tried to compensate with HIIT training but due to my own clumsiness I damaged my right ankle and a shoulder and it never really did set back right. I bought a rowing machine recently and a barbell and I tried to plug as much as I can in-between work and the PHD.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

My wife and I started working out pretty heavy about 3 years ago - I am 41 now, when I hit about 35 my metabolism shifted and in the past I could eat and drink whatever I wanted and was still lean, I put on a few pounds and when I was 38 I started really changing up my lifestyle. We work out 4-5x per week, we do a YouTube program by this Irish woman named Caroline Girvan - currently she’s doing these 10 week / 50 workout challenges called Epic - usually 40 min each. I find it’s a little more focused on the ass stuff so I occasionally swap out those for more lifting - and we usually replace the HIIT section with more lifting because we both fucking hate it. The music is…. awful and you get the songs stuck in your head at the most annoying times but I do really get a lot out of it.

I also bike all summer for my job and I’m not stuck at a desk so I am pretty active. We eat really well, cut down on our drinking to 2x per week, cut out sugar, more fish, reduced red meat with more protein rich foods, blah blah.

Anyway, I’m in the best shape of my life which is really good. Started at 210 at my worst, went down to 180 at one point before I started lifting heavier and now I’m at 200 and look completely different.
thevomitarsonist
Contact Mic

Post by thevomitarsonist »

over the past 4 or 5 years i've managed to create and keep a workout routine, something i've failed at every other time i've attempted it. lost the weight i was trying to lose, now i just enjoy building strength. i also drink a lot of beer so losing more weight isn't really in the cards, but i'm alright with that.
in normal circumstances i go to the gym 5x a week, lift for about 45 mins and then do 20-30 mins on the elliptical. i've been bailing on going to the gym until the current covid wave dies down.. been riding a stationary bike at home for about an hour each morning. it sucks. i would love to get a proper weight bench set up, i just don't have the space for it.
thevomitarsonist.bandcamp.com
danversstate.storenvy.com
Helvitis
Hard Panning

Post by Helvitis »

Definitely need to start taking this stuff more seriously. Hoping to get some inspiration from this thread.
AntiVerminSeed
Sound Art

Post by AntiVerminSeed »

I workout 3-5 days a week mostly using kettlebells and calisthenics. I'd like to start running again too.
Vivian
C20

Post by Vivian »

countryside man's routine :

- taking care of the hens / chicken
- cleaning the shitting areas
- carrying to the "pile" (I don't know the word for it. in French : le tas) where you make everything "organic" rot.
- gardening few hours a day, everything by hand (no thermic shits)
- eat your own vegetables / eggs / plants

believe me, that's the way keeping healthy.
and of course, wine each day + strong liquor made of local fruits (pear) (in French : gnole) before going to bed
UNREST
Contact Mic

Post by UNREST »

- carrying to the "pile" (I don't know the word for it. in French : le tas) where you make everything "organic" rot.

Compost.

I don't have farm animals but spending days moving rocks, soil and grass by hand has been a good way to appreciate my physical limitations. I just watched a series about a guy who left the city to build his own log cabin up north and one quote that stood out to me was: "It's ridiculous seeing people running on treadmills in a shop window in the city. Out here there are 85 year olds who have never been to a gym but can split wood for six hours.".
Vivian
C20

Post by Vivian »

"It's ridiculous seeing people running on treadmills in a shop window in the city. Out here there are 85 year olds who have never been to a gym but can split wood for six hours.".
agreed.
the way for rural sounding.
UNREST
Contact Mic

Post by UNREST »

There should perhaps be a thread for and about rural living here. There's a lot to learn.
Vivian
C20

Post by Vivian »

sure, will sound begin to plant seeds (interior) before planting on soil mid may.
AntiVerminSeed
Sound Art

Post by AntiVerminSeed »

Today's a day off from the challenge I'm participating in so after some light mobility work and stretching, I tried this for fun https://youtu.be/41N6bKO-NVI made it 54 seconds, lol
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

Nothing besides running, 8-10 km, now it's too cold for shorts and t-shirts but when it becomes nice and easy again I'll run every night when there's no show or anything else urgent like that.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

I do long distance running. I ran my first official marathon in January. I'm not sure I want to do another one after that...
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

SS1535 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:39 pm I do long distance running. I ran my first official marathon in January. I'm not sure I want to do another one after that...
I tried to walk 25 km to Kobe last year, but had to stop after 23 when I couldn't walk anymore due to bad shoes (and no preparation, I just got the idea and then I was executing it in 10 minutes). So I thought I try running this year, at least it will be over much faster than walking, hah!
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

junkyardshaman wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:07 pm
SS1535 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:39 pm I do long distance running. I ran my first official marathon in January. I'm not sure I want to do another one after that...
I tried to walk 25 km to Kobe last year, but had to stop after 23 when I couldn't walk anymore due to bad shoes (and no preparation, I just got the idea and then I was executing it in 10 minutes). So I thought I try running this year, at least it will be over much faster than walking, hah!
Yes! The sheer amount of time you can be on your feet is exhausting. I know the importance of having the right shoes too. After that marathon I had huge blood blisters on my toes.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

I mentioned above I’m doing this 10 week 5x per week workout routine, I haven’t missed ONE WORKOUT the entire time (I have replaced the cardio with more lifting) and feeling good. The battery on my scale died and I haven’t weighed myself in 6 weeks. Like, who cares….