Dark Ambient

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Dark Ambient

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Surprised there isn't a thread for this yet. Or did I miss it? I used the search to check. Anyhow, Teeth Engraved With the Names of the Dead are back after having ended it and done some other projects. Here's their latest:

https://rusteater.bandcamp.com/album/ko ... mpty-space

EDIT:

This morning, I got an email from them about ANOTHER release. Here it is:

https://rusteater.bandcamp.com/album/st ... res-part-i

Oh boy, here we go again...

Y'know, coming back to this album for the first time in a bunch of years I expected to have a LOT of negative things to say about it, but honestly it's better than I remember it being... Just a monolithic slab of creeped out ugly harshness that was equal parts noise-wall, drone, black metal, and power electronics.

Knowing now what we wish we knew back then I think we probably would have shortened a couple of the tracks, but we were both fresh off being in a doom band that routinely wrote 25+ minute long songs so I guess that's just kind of the headspace we were in back then.

That said, I do still really like "Shredded Sky" and "Broken From Inside" and I've always thought "When Storms Come" is one of our coolest tracks 'cos that shit sounds like Vomir or The Rita with what may or may not be a song buried underneath... It was definitely an exhausting listen, but that was kind of the point.

At any rate, that's all the old stuff uploaded, anything that happens from here on is the future...

Thanks to Family, Friends, and The Voodoo Queen.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Re: Dark Ambient

Post by holy ghost »

I’m not as well versed in this realm as I’d like to be - I’d say I know a few classics like Sleep Research Facility. “Nostromo” is great and sets the bar really, really high. Off the top of my head here are a few I really like.

RYN “Comic Death”
Zoat-Aon - Star Autopsy
Envenomist - Abyssal Siege
Nordvargr - Helvete
Luasa Raelon - The Poison City & others
Tenhornedbeast - Titan Death & others
The Stargazer's Assistant – The Other Side Of The Island
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

LUSTMORD - The Place Where the Black Stars Hang

https://lustmord.bandcamp.com/album/the ... stars-hang
holy ghost wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:39 pm RYN “Comic Death”
And this was a pleasant surprise. Still have a couple in stock for the curious.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Thank you for the recommendations!!!
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

holy ghost wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:39 pm Sleep Research Facility. “Nostromo” is great and sets the bar really, really high.
hard second, this and "Deep Frieze" are both great.
violentgrief
Contact Mic

Post by violentgrief »

In the dark ambient realm you can't go wrong with gruntsplatter and Scott's other project, the Corvidae Cabal:
https://crionicmind.bandcamp.com/
opacaluce
Sound Art

Post by opacaluce »

raison d'être – The Empty Hollow Unfolds (Cold Meat Industry, 2000)

Since the day it first came out, to me the synonym of Dark Ambient itself.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

opacaluce wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:56 am raison d'être – The Empty Hollow Unfolds (Cold Meat Industry, 2000)

Since the day it first came out, to me the synonym of Dark Ambient itself.
raison d'être is the benchmark for dark ambient for me as well.
drift
Thrashmaster

Post by drift »

used to listen to this a bit, but the line between noise and dark ambient can be fairly thin; they're both industrial music.

lustmord is definitely an interesting one, an.artist I kept returning to but never really got into. Nocturnal Emissions are hilarious. used to love bad sector, who make a lot more sense filtered through a "noise" perspective imvho

https://bad-sector.bandcamp.com/album/ampos
turn it up!
noisehangover
Contact Mic

Post by noisehangover »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:48 am LUSTMORD - The Place Where the Black Stars Hang
I would put a monument to him for the track "Metastatic Resonance".
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

A local bartender introduced herself to me as a mutual friend of someone and said that they told her to say to me that she's a fan of raison d'être. That person told her that as a joke, but she took it seriously. Which is both funny and awesome. Anyhow, we talked for awhile and it turned out she's FAR MORE knowledgeable of dark ambient than me and I'm a pretty big nerd with this stuff. I did tell her about one or two projects she was unaware of, though (like Demdike Stare, who had that synth pop phase). She's also a fan of neo-folk, power electronics, and harsh noise.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

housepig wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:53 pm
holy ghost wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:39 pm Sleep Research Facility. “Nostromo” is great and sets the bar really, really high.
hard second, this and "Deep Frieze" are both great.
I feel like this has been in my discogs want list for years and I never see it with stuff I can bundle for shipping…. (I know right what a hard life…..)
drift
Thrashmaster

Post by drift »

I remember not being impressed enough with raison d'être to consider them the masters of the genre. fun fact: MB is the first "dark ambient" album listed on RYM.
turn it up!
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

I haven't been checking out much dark ambient in the last 10 years even if I like the style. For some reason two albums have struck home:

Llyn y Cwn - Twll Du
I'd say this is what I expect from dark ambient and Llyn y Cwn delivers. Dark, kind of cinematic but not in a grand Hollywood scale. Just dark and home made.

Unmade - Ritual In Unlight
Organic dark ambient. This does not sound at all like it was made on a computer (I have no idea if it was or not) but more a analog kind of variety. Not "just" a dark hum but a more varied pallette of sounds.
sarinDK
Contact Mic

Post by sarinDK »

Gave Infinexhuma a listen after them being featured in the latest Noise Receptor journal, and damn that is some good material. Especially fond of the Unasan album.

The album I return to the most must be Schloss Tegal's Black static transmission. It is a 60+ minute journey of sheer bleakness.

Other favorites include
R|A|A|N – The Nacrasti (Malignant)
Schloss Tegal - The Grand Guignol (Artware)
Nordvargr - In Oceans Abandoned By Life I Drown... (Essence)
Morthond - This crying age (CMI)
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Lycia has their entire discography up for sale in digital format for cheap on bandcamp.

https://lycia.bandcamp.com
Boarnoise
Contact Mic

Ambient/Dark Ambient

Post by Boarnoise »

Haven’t seen any topics covering ambient/dark ambient. What’s everyone’s favorites or lesser known projects? Favorite albums? Ambient albums from non exclusive ambient projects?

[Moderator edit: merged with existing topic, originally created under The Rest section of the board]
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Re: Ambient/Dark Ambient

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

Boarnoise wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:06 pm Haven’t seen any topics covering ambient/dark ambient. What’s everyone’s favorites or lesser known projects? Favorite albums? Ambient albums from non exclusive ambient projects?
One of my relatively recent faves was the Black Hole Diaries by one-off(?) wdo n friends collab project Alternative Particle Choir. Not strictly speaking ambient or dark ambient, but large sections of this epic are firmly in the vein.

Pretty much anything wdo touches spanks hard- check out Metal On Metal from '81 for the junk metal abuse cred!- much of it rather tibetan flavored a la his 90s project Life Garden (which spanks hard). The above(s) will I think link to all his 666 other projects (mostly digital only) but worth keeping tabs on cause this restless soul often deletes, updates, revises these recordings, in real time, online, as he kind of self plunders from electronic and acoustic recordings going back over thirty years, mixing it up with much more recent full-band-level recording sessions. I recall that BHD went through several publicly available online configurations before settling onto what finally made it onto vinyl.

I also quite like the Music From Another Earth series (among other not far distant series), another of them heavily tibetan flavored wdo forays, quoth Hard Tool,
Bottomless canyons of deep and penetrating reverberation. Music for Tibetan rituals performed among dark caverns, spectral landscapes, desolate ruins. Where is this other Earth and how can I get there?
And hey such inspirations can be inspiring, be you Eliane Radigue, Lustmord or (Cranioclast side proj) Core to name three bigguns with semi-faux-ish ritual dabblings to their credit.

Another in the Radigue sphere of influence, nice bottom heavy oscillations of the endless persuasion- Calineczka. Chap's done shitloads, but this one's pretty decent, if you spank it to that shiiiit.
MuhSteve
Hard Panning

Post by MuhSteve »

It is a genre / style that I dip into now and again ...
I really like the dark ambient sounds of Inade and their releases on Loki Foundation.
https://loki-found.bandcamp.com
Chris Sigdell's BºTong project is also highly enjoyable.
https://btong.bandcamp.com
Boarnoise
Contact Mic

Post by Boarnoise »

Guess this was already a topic in a different thread that I didn’t see haha. My apologies on that. My recent listen to the “beside you in strength” comp released through chthonic really sparked my interested. So much great shit on that.
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

Really love Kanchenjunga, especially live. We used to play monthly event together, he played solo at the time and it was always rewarding to end the evening with him blasting louder than all the noise shows before. Now it is a duo where he plays bass and there is a singer, also really good but different from this.

https://kanchenjunga-official.bandcamp. ... this-world