Noise Rock (Touch & Go, AmRep, Skin Graft, etc)

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Re: Noise Rock (Touch & Go, AmRep, Skin Graft, etc)

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Exclusionzonedayton wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:22 pm I haven’t heard the most recent Unsane album but is seems like they have consistently delivered great stuff since the beginning.
They are back to touring their early material!!!!
Helvitis
Hard Panning

Post by Helvitis »

https://ironlungrecords.bandcamp.com/al ... -lungs-126

This fits somewhat in here I think.
Yankee
Sound Art

Post by Yankee »

D345 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:19 am
Knifedoutofexistence wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:51 am
D345 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:17 am Don't know if Cuntroaches counts because they don't sound like Nirvana (bad joke) but I love this.
https://cuntroaches.bandcamp.com/album/ep-2

If anyone can recommend noise rock that sounds something like Harry Pussy, I would be grateful!
Cuntroaches were (are?) incredible. I went to a fest in Berlin hoping that they’d be one of the bands I would get to see, but turns out they’d booked a U.K. tour at the same time. The noise rock band I was in at the time ended up playing with them back home with a fill in for me while I was in Berlin. Still annoys me to think about.
Hopefully they still are! Would love to see them live.
Cuntroaches recently signed to Skingraft! Great band
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

Yankee wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:01 pm
D345 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:19 am
Knifedoutofexistence wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:51 am

Cuntroaches were (are?) incredible. I went to a fest in Berlin hoping that they’d be one of the bands I would get to see, but turns out they’d booked a U.K. tour at the same time. The noise rock band I was in at the time ended up playing with them back home with a fill in for me while I was in Berlin. Still annoys me to think about.
Hopefully they still are! Would love to see them live.
Cuntroaches recently signed to Skingraft! Great band
Lovely! Hopefully their sound keeps on melting
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
Mattias Gustafsson
Contact Mic

Post by Mattias Gustafsson »

My absolute favorite band of all time is U.S. Maple (Skin Graft, Drag City). When I first heard them 22 years ago it changed how I listened to music forever. It really sucks that I never watched them play live.
Chris
Contact Mic

Post by Chris »

I've been listening to a fair bit of Splintered recently. The heavy riff and drum repetition leans psychedelic, but in a super bad trip/hallucinatory Brainbombs way.

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Karp documentary streaming:

https://vimeo.com/415241153
Helvitis
Hard Panning

Post by Helvitis »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:17 am Karp documentary streaming:

Hell yes! Thanks man, been waiting for this to pop up.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Helvitis wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:41 am
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:17 am Karp documentary streaming:

Hell yes! Thanks man, been waiting for this to pop up.
No problem, happy to pass it along!!
shishido
Sound Art

Post by shishido »

Thanks, been wanting to see this in a while!
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

shishido wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:32 pm

Thanks, been wanting to see this in a while!
You're welcome!
Cría Cuervos
Contact Mic

Post by Cría Cuervos »

Big fan of the genre but if I had to pick an all-time favourite I'd go with Dazzling Killmen's "Face of Collapse".

If you have never heard of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI4hYND ... itedude877

Super tight, super dark noise/math/nowave.
dust
Contact Mic

Post by dust »

been listening to sightings all day, absolutely killer band
Brian O'Blivion
Hard Panning

Post by Brian O'Blivion »

Tunic are one of my favourite noise rock bands going right now. Really pissed off sounding. I'll also echo thevomitarsonist in recommending USA/Mexico. Very heavy.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Came across this yesterday and really like it. Trance-inducing noise rock/industrial with an emphasis on NOISE. It's pay what you want, but the paid version comes with a wild bonus track.

https://screamingandharrows.bandcamp.co ... ts-eclipse
consumer
C20

Post by consumer »

yullowteef wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:39 pm Tunic are one of my favourite noise rock bands going right now.
I saw them play here a few days ago, they were great!
Brian O'Blivion
Hard Panning

Post by Brian O'Blivion »

Caught them in Montreal last night. Might have been the fifth time I've seen them now and they're great every time.
oZiris
Hard Panning

Post by oZiris »

consumer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:53 pm
yullowteef wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:39 pm Tunic are one of my favourite noise rock bands going right now.
I saw them play here a few days ago, they were great!
Seen this band twice.

Great live show, worth checking out if they come to your city!
SafetyPropaganda
Contact Mic

Post by SafetyPropaganda »

The noise rock genre at this juncture in time seems absolutely dead to me and mostly refers to slightly angular post-hardcore bands meant to be at the bottom of a Pitchfork reviews page. I think the term is a bit nebulous now, and seemingly most bands that use it are doing so for branding purposes.

Noise rock at its best, for me, always referred to bands who used rock n roll instrumentation but did so with the intentions of ripping apart and deconstructing rock n' roll form.

Drunks with Guns. Black Humor. Primitive Calculators. Harry Pussy. Slug Guts. Brainbombs. Rusted Shut. Pussy Galore. Royal Trux's masterpiece Twin Infinitives. It's an inherently postmodern genre because it requires a kind of self-aware, analytical disposition in its approach: this is rock n' roll, this is rock n' roll being destroyed, this is rock n' roll as noise and vice versa. It's also part of the same lineage that post-punk was before it, taking that tendency further. I don't begrudge anyone doing noise rock now but I find it hard to take the genre anywhere new after bands like these already created so much incredible stuff.

Even the AmRep bands, many of whom I love — Cows, Cherubs, Hammerhead etc — sound less like noise rock in the sense of these previous bands than they do like hardcore bands slowed down or even blues rock bands with slightly atonal riffs. Hammerhead sounds well normal against the brutality and manic intensity of DwG.

Skin Graft is more my speed, love tons of those records (Lake of Dracula is brilliant shit, Scissor Girls is awesome) but the Chicago no wave scene too codified as its own kind of micro genre.

Maybe this all sounds bitchy, but noise is such a big aspect of so many of the still existent guitar music genres — black metal, death metal, even some doom, even those godforsaken math rock poser bands that the blogosphere loves to go crazy over — that the idea of "noise rock" as a genre feels like a redundancy. I mean, if it's simply rock n roll that is noisy then the goddamn Sonics and the Godz are as noise rock as it gets.

That said, if there are any contemporary bands you'd consider to be noise rock that are either as feral as Rusted Shut, as weird as Primitive Calculators, as libidinal as Brainbombs or as conceptually rigorous as early Royal Trux I'd be happy to check that shit out and be proven wrong.
ASN
Contact Mic

Post by ASN »

SafetyPropaganda wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:15 pm The noise rock genre at this juncture in time seems absolutely dead to me and mostly refers to slightly angular post-hardcore bands meant to be at the bottom of a Pitchfork reviews page. I think the term is a bit nebulous now, and seemingly most bands that use it are doing so for branding purposes.

Noise rock at its best, for me, always referred to bands who used rock n roll instrumentation but did so with the intentions of ripping apart and deconstructing rock n' roll form.

Maybe this all sounds bitchy, but noise is such a big aspect of so many of the still existent guitar music genres — black metal, death metal, even some doom, even those godforsaken math rock poser bands that the blogosphere loves to go crazy over — that the idea of "noise rock" as a genre feels like a redundancy. I mean, if it's simply rock n roll that is noisy then the goddamn Sonics and the Godz are as noise rock as it gets.

That said, if there are any contemporary bands you'd consider to be noise rock that are either as feral as Rusted Shut, as weird as Primitive Calculators, as libidinal as Brainbombs or as conceptually rigorous as early Royal Trux I'd be happy to check that shit out and be proven wrong.
Yeah, i would agree, i think there's almost always a shift as things move from loose collections of tangentially related responses to current music into being solidified genres - so in this case 80s weirdos descendants being nothing more than slightly angular post-hardcore bands meant for the bottom of Pitchfork review pages, but pick any micro genre.

People get hung up on containing a verifiable essence of something ("Melted Pigeons IS noise rock") rather being influenced by something ("Slut Panthers are influenced by noise rock").

Having said that i think there's something genuinely out there (ie not a hardcore band with a half arsed Helmet and Jesus Lizard influence) and discomforting about Mr Phylzzz and Orchestra of Constant Distress. Authenticity is in the ear of the beholder though.
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

https://ruputapes.bandcamp.com/album/ru ... eiskuntaan
Sosiaalidemokratian ja ammattiyhdistysliikkeen vaikutus suomalaiseen yhteiskuntaan
by Disco Pervitin

stupid to praise record where I play guitar and do some vocals (and recorded it and released it) but this is a personal favourite of all of the records on which I play. Disco Pervitin is kinda free project, we have played all kinds of genres (usually noisecore) but here the only pedal I had with me was behringer bass overdrive (used for guitar). It think it's the reason that this is in my opinion noise rock (and we were too lazy to play too fast.) Just sloppy improvised mess and it was so easy to make, hardly any edits were done to it afterwards. The music samples were already on the tape on which we recorded.
It's the Disco Pervitin method: improvise everything, never practise, only play to record and never play sober.

though I don't agree that this is harsh noise, Mikko Polus wrote beautiful words of this:
"20 minutes of blown-out and crude harsh noise sprinkled with vintage light music samples, all seemingly themed around social democrat values. Red tape."
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/