Video games/Interactive art?

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
Noise Fanatic

Re: Video games/Interactive art?

Post by 33033 »

junkyardshaman wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:15 am one game I thoroughly enjoyed was Sekiro, although I don't like any soulsbornewhtever stuff besides it. I think there is some nice weight to it's melancholy and everything just works. It was fun to play the first time and still I keep my eyes peeled if there would be a chance to get it for cheap, but I don't think my laptop could handle it anyway.
I loved the atmosphere and the design of the levels. But I found the parrying only thing boring. Didn't bother finishing it.
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

33033 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:09 pm
junkyardshaman wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:15 am one game I thoroughly enjoyed was Sekiro, although I don't like any soulsbornewhtever stuff besides it. I think there is some nice weight to it's melancholy and everything just works. It was fun to play the first time and still I keep my eyes peeled if there would be a chance to get it for cheap, but I don't think my laptop could handle it anyway.
I loved the atmosphere and the design of the levels. But I found the parrying only thing boring. Didn't bother finishing it.
well, to be honest, you can't finish it because it is an endless loop and it doesn't tell you when it starts over. :)
XXX
C20

Post by XXX »

hopelessly addicted to Vampire Survivor for the past few weeks. great game for fans of shmup shooters & rougelikes & the price can't be beat at $3. definitely a "just one more run" kind of game that keeps you hooked for hours.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Elden Ring is a 10/10 and I’m only 4 hours in.
totalblack
Hard Panning

Post by totalblack »

i’ve put about 30 in so far and it only gets better
Zalhietzli
Hard Panning

Post by Zalhietzli »

5 hours into Elden Ring, getting my ass kicked and savoring every hard won battle. I love it.
loveawake.ru
Sound Art

-

Post by loveawake.ru »

Its a subject i started talking in a other topic and think it should deserve is own topic as well. Here, well talk about the visual in video game, but more precisely the art design. In the industry, some try to make their game look the most realistic possible, others will make their game stand out from the rest by giving their game a visual identity through a specific art style. Some will probably ask me: Alex, why make a game stylize when you can make your game realistic? The anwser is this: Make game cheaper, and help the game to survive the test of time. Game that only want to look realistic tend to be more brown/grey and become graphicly outdated faster. Its not to say that its impossible to make a game realistic looking and making the game outdated as soon as a newer game with even better graphic will come out. To avoid such thing, once again, by giving a better art style, you can make your game visually realistic and yet, make you game beatifull for years to come. Look at Silent Hill 2 and 3, or Resident Evil 1 the remake for the GC: These game right there have realistic visual, and still look good today, despite the presence of more realistic game on the new next-gen system. Yoshi Island for the SNES still look gorgeous today, while other game the last generation can barely look watchable. Bioshock Infinite for the PS3/360 will still look better in the next 5-10 years thanks to his art style, while the newer BF4 for the PS4/One while quickly become visually outdate. What are your thought on that. What do you prefer, realistic graphic or stylize visual and why?
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Zalhietzli wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:30 am 5 hours into Elden Ring, getting my ass kicked and savoring every hard won battle. I love it.
It’s insane how big the map is. Did not expect it. I’m sort of overwhelmed by the game, and I have only beaten Margit!
+hp+
Hard Panning

Post by +hp+ »

33033 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:11 pm Right now playing Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night and loving it. I am a huge Castlevania: SOTN fan, so this is like a ridiculously elaborate tribute to it. I think I’m about halfway through, because the difficulty just spiked.
i got the rondo of blood/sotn rereleases on sale a few months back, rondo is incredible if you are even a casual castlevania fan and its nice to not have to tinker with pc engine emulation
Zalhietzli
Hard Panning

Post by Zalhietzli »

33033 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:13 pm
Zalhietzli wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:30 am 5 hours into Elden Ring, getting my ass kicked and savoring every hard won battle. I love it.
It’s insane how big the map is. Did not expect it. I’m sort of overwhelmed by the game, and I have only beaten Margit!
Same ! I've put some more hours into it and the world just keep on growing. I love how little hand holding you get in this game meaning you can explore later, harder dungeon than what you are supposed too.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

Just got a PS4 for free after 10 years of not gaming almost at all (some indie games here and there with my studio Powermac w/ a shitty GPU). I'm kind of bummed how few experimental or interesting titles there are for the PS4. Mostly just american open world games that seem to be all about time consuming, of FPS games that don't really work well with a controller. There are some, but PC seems to be the platform for off the wall experimental games, sadly. And I have no intention of forking out a grand or more for a PC, since I dislike playing with a mouse and a keyboard nowadays.

Death Stranging looks like a nice game, as well as Disco Elysium, Tacoma and Catherine. Games kind of have the same problem as superhero movies: they have no sex or transgressive themes in general. Just a waste of time, and while I do enjoy wasting my time I would enjoy it more if it gave me more than just a nice experience.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Fiending for that Elden Ring DLC. Need it now.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Last August, I took a whole week off of work which fell on my birthday and just re-organized furniture, cleaned my room (a sign of good mental health you know! Clean room = definitely not crazy. B] ) and eventually set up a 12" TV and my old PS1 and picked up a FFVIII game I half-heartedly began many, many months earlier after years of not playing shit for years except for a couple of marathon periods of playing LSD and Earthbound via emulators. I pretty much spent the whole week playing it endlessly and then found time to squeeze it in after work and on weekends after that. Even ordered a huge baggy of PocketStations to load up the Chocobo mini-game (had never done this previously).

At some point, I realized I missed drawing Leviathan during a boss battle and got extremely, almost absurdly upset and depressed and haven't touched the game since! Yes, definitely not crazy at all...

I should finally pick back up my old game of Dragon Warrior VII. I've had the game since 2001 and never finished it despite hours of playing over the course of many years. I started that game in middle school and I'm in my 30's now. Weird thing to realize.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:28 pm I should finally pick back up my old game of Dragon Warrior VII. I've had the game since 2001 and never finished it despite hours of playing over the course of many years. I started that game in middle school and I'm in my 30's now. Weird thing to realize.
There's something special about old JRPG's for sure. I've been getting into Shin Megami Tensei series, and it's just batshit insane with for example a character who turns into a demon that has mouths on her tits. Japan is a special place.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

It's definitely a genre of gaming that you can lose a lot of time in. It's always heartbreaking when the story ends and you suddenly notice that you're all alone.

I actually fucking cried at the end of Earthbound for just this reason, haha. I am incredibly sick. :3
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Earthbound is a true work of art. As a standalone game and an outlier in the context of other SNES jrpgs it's remarkable. I tend never to like finishing games because my favourite thing about them is just living in their world, this is especially true in Earthbound. Don't even get me started on the music and sound design. I only came to the game during lockdown, using the downtime and miracle of emulation to explore all the titles I used to read about as a kid but couldn't dream of playing. I consumed a lot of incredible art during this time but I think getting into Earthbound was really what took the cake. I did a second run through of it last year and got Sword of Kings first try within about 20 mins so fuck off.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

adult human wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:45 pm Earthbound is a true work of art. As a standalone game and an outlier in the context of other SNES jrpgs it's remarkable. I tend never to like finishing games because my favourite thing about them is just living in their world, this is especially true in Earthbound. Don't even get me started on the music and sound design. I only came to the game during lockdown, using the downtime and miracle of emulation to explore all the titles I used to read about as a kid but couldn't dream of playing. I consumed a lot of incredible art during this time but I think getting into Earthbound was really what took the cake. I did a second run through of it last year and got Sword of Kings first try within about 20 mins so fuck off.
I played Earthbound when it came out, and it didn't connect with me. Then again I was 10 so I think maybe I just didn't really "get it". Should give it another chance now, thanks for the reminder!