Helsinki/Finland 1.10. Tender Wreckage

Post by Tillinhaistelija »

Noise night (ok, not all-noise...) at Oranssi on Oct 1st:

Testicle Hazard (FI/NO)
Toivonen & Sinnemäki
Otto Männistö
Laineet
Teemu Ruissalo

Tickets 7 €, no age limit. Starts at 18:00.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/596175802171523

Lasse has also a solo gig in Pori on Sept 30th with Marja-Leena Sillanpää.
Details: https://www.facebook.com/events/638180327536452
moozz
Hard Panning

Re: Helsinki/Finland 1.10. Tender Wreckage

Post by moozz »

Testicle Hazard is enough to make this a must-go gig! Been over 10 years since I saw Testicle Hazard.
AKTI
Contact Mic

Post by AKTI »

Yea baby! Super excited to see TH play for the first time..! See you there.
Tillinhaistelija
Blank Tape

moozz wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:39 am Testicle Hazard is enough to make this a must-go gig! Been over 10 years since I saw Testicle Hazard.
There hasn't been that many shows in the last 10 years!
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

Quick report. It seems that the line-up had changed at some point, so I’m not sure of all the names of the artists. Any criticism is meant to be constructive and respectful.

Missed the first artist. It was described to me as a guy, erm, ”preparing” a piano, with an axe. Sounds pretty awesome and the remains were still there when I got there, and looked pretty impressive.

Second was a guy with an old electric organ, at times playing ”properly” and singing actual songs, than at times producing some atonal drones and distorted shrieks. Unfortunately it was difficult to tell what was actually going on, since it was all buried under a backing track (a loop of a woman speaking French) that was far too loud. My advice would be to shorten the set 5 min and dispense with the backing samples altogether.

Next was the same guy, this time playing a trumpet, and another dude routing the trumpet and some field recordings through different effects. At first it seemed like there was no point to the performance at all, but after a couple of false starts it turned into a very impressive soundscape, with enormous, cavernous drones and pounding rhythmic sounds. The set kept its sonic palette together and didn’t overstay its welcome.

The next artist was Otto Männistö (??). Beautiful electronic minimalism, controlled droning feedback and Pan Sonic-esque rhythmic clicks and pops. Very loud and clear, thankfully not buried under layers of cheesy distortion like a less confident artist might be tempted to do. Mixed with a simultaneous spoken word performance by the artist. On paper would not be my cup of tea, but I ended up enjoying it a lot.

Testicle Hazard was the obvious headliner. Never seen them live before. Can I say ”old-skool” Harsh Noise? Tried and true methods, shaker boxes and guitar pedals. Amusing physicality to the performance, with the artists pounding and kicking the table until the desired sound was achieved. The set clocked an almost exhausting 45 minutes, making it probably the longest noise performance I remember seeing. With the possible exception of one or two Merzbow sets I’ve seen. For less talented performers, pulling off a set this long would be a sheer impossibility. Even for these two it was a challenge, but it worked out in the end imho.
Tillinhaistelija
Blank Tape

Many thanks for the comments!

Indeed there was a slight change in the program (which I forgot to mention here...sorry!), and Raimo Sinnemäki (the first artist reviewed here) did also a solo set in a very short notice in Laneet's place. I was listening his set (which I enjoyed a lot) at the back and there the spoken word tape was nicely in balace with the rest. Duo of Juho Toivanen and Raimo was the 3rd act of the evening, and Männistö was correctly identified...
Atrophist wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:29 pm Quick report. It seems that the line-up had changed at some point, so I’m not sure of all the names of the artists. Any criticism is meant to be constructive and respectful.

Missed the first artist. It was described to me as a guy, erm, ”preparing” a piano, with an axe. Sounds pretty awesome and the remains were still there when I got there, and looked pretty impressive.

Second was a guy with an old electric organ, at times playing ”properly” and singing actual songs, than at times producing some atonal drones and distorted shrieks. Unfortunately it was difficult to tell what was actually going on, since it was all buried under a backing track (a loop of a woman speaking French) that was far too loud. My advice would be to shorten the set 5 min and dispense with the backing samples altogether.

Next was the same guy, this time playing a trumpet, and another dude routing the trumpet and some field recordings through different effects. At first it seemed like there was no point to the performance at all, but after a couple of false starts it turned into a very impressive soundscape, with enormous, cavernous drones and pounding rhythmic sounds. The set kept its sonic palette together and didn’t overstay its welcome.

The next artist was Otto Männistö (??). Beautiful electronic minimalism, controlled droning feedback and Pan Sonic-esque rhythmic clicks and pops. Very loud and clear, thankfully not buried under layers of cheesy distortion like a less confident artist might be tempted to do. Mixed with a simultaneous spoken word performance by the artist. On paper would not be my cup of tea, but I ended up enjoying it a lot.

Testicle Hazard was the obvious headliner. Never seen them live before. Can I say ”old-skool” Harsh Noise? Tried and true methods, shaker boxes and guitar pedals. Amusing physicality to the performance, with the artists pounding and kicking the table until the desired sound was achieved. The set clocked an almost exhausting 45 minutes, making it probably the longest noise performance I remember seeing. With the possible exception of one or two Merzbow sets I’ve seen. For less talented performers, pulling off a set this long would be a sheer impossibility. Even for these two it was a challenge, but it worked out in the end imho.