Off-Shoots of Macronympha

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Off-Shoots of Macronympha

Post by k.p.g »

I find myself loving Rodger's One Dark Eye to be much better than anything I have heard from the Macronympha catalogue. I am wondering if there is any other projects or albums you would recommend between Stella or Joe that would be worth checking out?
Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Re: Off-Shoots of Macronympha

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Stella's "new" tape on No Rent (archival collab with Leslie Keffer from 2007) is good but much too short (one ~20 minute track split across two sides) https://norentrecords.bandcamp.com/albu ... fix-nrr154

I also quite enjoyed the Anarch Peak album (Stella and Greh Holger) from a couple years ago. "70 minutes of synth, junk metal and theremin exploration" https://chondriticsound.bandcamp.com/album/vitarium
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
totalblack
Hard Panning

Post by totalblack »

Rodger truly has the golden touch. All of his collabs and solo recordings are really great, whether under his own name or One Dark Eye. I personally feel that a majority of the good Macro recordings involve him, save a handful.

Will echo Taylor’s sentiment on the Stella \ Keffer tape - killer but feels like it’s cut WAY short. I thought that it was sessions from what was supposed to be an LP, but maybe I misunderstood and those are forthcoming.

Saw a really stellar live collab of Stella and Demons at NFF in ‘08 which was just theremin and sequential circuits jamming on a massive PA. Incredible.

There’s a Stella collab track with Sean Ragon on the “Primary Purpose” compilation I did a few years back that I think is really excellent as well. There’s an entire LP recorded that i’ve been trying to coax them to finish and edit for years now, and apparently they are going to get around to it soon, so let’s hope.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

A recent one and a favorite; Rodger Stella and Scant did a superb collaboration cassette entitled Third Phalanx, on New Forces a few years ago. A single massive piece that builds and stretches over bith sides. Well worth tracking down!

Then there's the Slave Labor (Macro, Ramirez, Gilden) stuff, Unit M (Macro, Joe Colley), MXM (Macro and Monde Bruits)...
Buried_slag_debris
C20

Post by Buried_slag_debris »

One of my favourite splits Stella did was with Kites "Interior Moon" LP - very hypnotic. Love the type work on the cover too. I never got the fancy one with the Cdr and CS (maybe someday), but I think it is a solid release worth mentioning. Maybe a bit different from his other splits.

Also love the 7" on IDDB "The Final Programme" - or CS on MW. Worth a visit too!
Tribe Tapes
Thrashmaster

Post by Tribe Tapes »

Human Skin Lanterns - Skin Stripperess (w/ Roemer, Stella, and Keith Brewer) is definitely worth your time.
Skuggsidan
C20

Post by Skuggsidan »

One of the best releases is the Rodger Stella / Kites – Interior Moon split 12". That record is impressive.
Skuggsidan
https://www.analoguemasters.net
https://analoguemasters.bandcamp.com/
New Forces
Hard Panning

Post by New Forces »

Capers wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:23 pm A recent one and a favorite; Rodger Stella and Scant did a superb collaboration cassette entitled Third Phalanx, on New Forces a few years ago. A single massive piece that builds and stretches over bith sides. Well worth tracking down!
It's possible we'll be bringing you more from these sessions in the future...
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

New Forces wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:33 am
Capers wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:23 pm A recent one and a favorite; Rodger Stella and Scant did a superb collaboration cassette entitled Third Phalanx, on New Forces a few years ago. A single massive piece that builds and stretches over bith sides. Well worth tracking down!
Please! That would be fantastic. Boettke told me there was alot more recorded, that the tape was just a portion of a long session.
puritanwaste
Hard Panning

Post by puritanwaste »

I feel like you can throw a rock at pretty much any of the MSNP one-off collab projects and find greatness. I'd recommend just scanning through the MSNP label page on Discogs and checking out any project you're unfamiliar with.
thedemonfeedback666
C20

Post by thedemonfeedback666 »

I like that first Macrosonic more than anything Macro or any of the offshoot projects or Mlehst ever did, and I say that as big fan of all that shit.
inputerror
Contact Mic

Post by inputerror »

Aside from everything already mentioned here, the releases under the name Mother Savage are also worth checking out. The Kryptopyrrole CD was reissued by Industrial Recollections and is still available on their site:

https://www.nhfastore.net/Mother-Savage ... %20savage

The Big Bang Drum Theory tape was reissued by Rodger a few years back. If the 'drum' in question was a big steel drum then that would give you a decent idea what you're getting. More metal bashing than ball to the wall electronics of some of the other offshoots like MXM and OVMN.
NihilBaxter
C20

Post by NihilBaxter »

New Forces wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:33 am
Hell yeah! One of my alltime favorites for sure, would love to hear more in the vein of it!
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

Tribe Tapes wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:44 pm Human Skin Lanterns - Skin Stripperess (w/ Roemer, Stella, and Keith Brewer) is definitely worth your time.
Which version?! I know that Rodger released two different mixes and I'm not exactly sure what the variations are between the two. I have the original mix I believe as it's the 2008 reissue. From what I've read, the 2010 edition is very different but I don't have both to compare. Should hit up Rodger to see if he is still dubbing the second mix. A total fuzzy memory, but I think I remember someone saying they preferred the second mix even though both were great.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

I had the second version/mix, and it didn't do much for me, to be honest. Not bad, but I guess I expected more from it. I didn't know it was an alternative mix until later though. Still haven't heard the original, which bothers me.
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Capers wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:52 am I had the second version/mix, and it didn't do much for me, to be honest. Not bad, but I guess I expected more from it. I didn't know it was an alternative mix until later though. Still haven't heard the original, which bothers me.
I ended up ordering the second version from Rodger and should have it in a week or so. I'll do a comparison of the two at some point and post what I notice here.
Window Exits
Sound Art

Post by Window Exits »

Personal favorite is of course the Slave Labor Vol I and II w/ Gildan.
Pretty sure this is one of the masters that Trash Ritual disappeared with.
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

HSL Covers - 500x.jpg
HSL Covers - 500x.jpg (59.58 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
So I've listened to both versions of Human Skin Lanterns back to back and can confirm they are completely different releases. I don't think any of the tracks repeat from one to the other whatsoever, and there are only a few moments here and there that use some of the same samples or source material.

Skin Stripperess Version 1 tape (1995 and 2008) is more aggressive, feels like Macro had more of a hand in the source material and editing. It has a closer feel to the early 90s Macro releases like Physical Chaos. Unrelenting electronic assault and real lo-fi and scummy electronics. There are a number of methods or styles used across the tape, however. Some tracks are more loop-based, some are just wailing electronics, and others focus on junk metal abuse. Side A in particular has some good variety of the early Macro sounds, but all remain fairly dense. More long-form tracks on this version compared to version 2 and the final track on Side B is a 22-minute behemoth and is really gritty and crunchy, reminds me of some of the early OVMN material.

Skin Stripperess Version 2 (2010 edition) has more of an atmosphere and more room for the sounds to develop. It has a much more noticeable influence from Keith and his contributions are more distinguishable than version 1. I would say this is a much more "balanced" version of the two tapes as far as artist contributions. There is a good mix of longer form tracks, but there are also a lot of extremely short, almost vignettes, that come in around 30 seconds to a couple of minutes. Where version 1 is a harsher and unrelenting aggressive affair, I feel like the longer pieces here develop and shift more over time while still being harsh. There are a lot of details in some of these pieces and it's not an all-out assault from start to finish. The last track is one of the best between both tapes and is a 17-minute session that sounds the most "live" and sounds like all 3 in a room together jamming out. There are a lot of well-used metal clangs, sweeping oscillations, some rumbling bass tones, and an overall well-paced and dynamic track with recognizable segments developing throughout.

It would be pointless for me to choose which is "best", they are both quite good. They compliment each other well and have some similar middle-ground but actually are fairly different tapes.
Last edited by Lactating Tardigrade on Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tribe Tapes
Thrashmaster

Post by Tribe Tapes »

Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:39 am So I've listened to both versions of Human Skin Lanterns back to back and can confirm they are completely different releases. I don't think any of the tracks repeat from one to the other whatsoever, and there are only a few moments here and there that use some of the same samples or source material.
Great to see an in-depth comparison between the two issues.
Doing the Lord's work in one inverted way or another here...
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

Tribe Tapes wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:42 pm
Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:39 am So I've listened to both versions of Human Skin Lanterns back to back and can confirm they are completely different releases. I don't think any of the tracks repeat from one to the other whatsoever, and there are only a few moments here and there that use some of the same samples or source material.
Great to see an in-depth comparison between the two issues.
Cosigned. Don't think I've ever encountered a proper run down of the two, aside from vague words here and there that they were different. I've only got the first one and clearly haven't given it enough time. I think it initially came across as a bit understated against the Macro of the time, but from Lactating Tardigrade's comments I'll probably need to come back for a full and proper reckoning.

So yeah, good work LT. Got my nomination for Post Of The Year(tm)!
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

thedemonfeedback666 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:45 pm I like that first Macrosonic more than anything Macro or any of the offshoot projects or Mlehst ever did, and I say that as big fan of all that shit.
The Macrosonic collab, Lords of Sex, was excellent. I'm finally getting around to checking out the new album, Spyke Team, and it's equally as good. The combo of All and Joe is incredible. I strike most of this up to All's editing and very well-curated choices. Dynamics are used to an impressive degree and bounce between Joe's harshness and All's ambient/drone/manipulated field recordings somehow very naturally even though the cuts are drastic, they somehow work. While not quite as good as the last two, the Tamed by the Whip, All's reworking of Joe's unreleased Macro material from 2007 is also very enjoyable.

All's recent output as Mlehst has been of utmost quality as well, I think he has just generally hit an incredible wave in the last few years. I HIGHLY recommend a series of CDr/digital releases put out earlier this year: Dial M For Mlehst, Paramours, and Grande Horizontale. All sound like they are from the same session and probably deserve a proper CD version. Some of my favorite material from anyone this year.
snowdrops
Sound Art

Post by snowdrops »

Seconding and thirding Unit-M. And not as directly related, but Meltdown by Tim Oliviera's project Stimbox is also a burner.
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

The solo Rodger stuff is mostly fucking awesome. Some of it gets eaten up by its own logic, and this is most obvious in his live sets. Those rare(r) box sets he did a decade or so ago are cool. The collab tape with Puce Mary, which is a live show?, that is cool too. There's a 45 minute live set in LA hat used to be on Spotify that ruled! It might still be on there. I guess that's just an aside of solo Rodger, but that's mostly what I know. His approach to solo noise music crashing into psychedelia is pretty foundational, in my opinion.

I once played a show with Stella in Philadelphia with Pedestrian Deposit, Dolce, and Newton, and seeing Rodger get increasingly fucked up before the set was actually pretty crazy to watch. But then....he played one of the wildest sets I have ever seen. Total 2:00 AM psych noise madness with just a Minibrute, Boss Delay Pedal, and a borrowed Library of Congress tape player that I think he was playing one of his overpriced Macro reissues he was selling on the road and cutting up with the A-Side/B-Side switch and pitching them up and down. I'll never forget whatever crazy sequence he pulled out of that synth, too. Everyone called the set shitty the day afterwards, but I think everyone had a ton of fun and I totally loved.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

ChicagoAnimal wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:56 am The solo Rodger stuff is mostly fucking awesome. Some of it gets eaten up by its own logic, and this is most obvious in his live sets. Those rare(r) box sets he did a decade or so ago are cool. The collab tape with Puce Mary, which is a live show?, that is cool too. There's a 45 minute live set in LA hat used to be on Spotify that ruled! It might still be on there. I guess that's just an aside of solo Rodger, but that's mostly what I know. His approach to solo noise music crashing into psychedelia is pretty foundational, in my opinion.
Do you remember the name of the LA set?
I once played a show with Stella in Philadelphia with Pedestrian Deposit, Dolce, and Newton, and seeing Rodger get increasingly fucked up before the set was actually pretty crazy to watch. But then....he played one of the wildest sets I have ever seen. Total 2:00 AM psych noise madness with just a Minibrute, Boss Delay Pedal, and a borrowed Library of Congress tape player that I think he was playing one of his overpriced Macro reissues he was selling on the road and cutting up with the A-Side/B-Side switch and pitching them up and down. I'll never forget whatever crazy sequence he pulled out of that synth, too. Everyone called the set shitty the day afterwards, but I think everyone had a ton of fun and I totally loved.
I hope that was recorded...
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:38 am
ChicagoAnimal wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:56 am The solo Rodger stuff is mostly fucking awesome. Some of it gets eaten up by its own logic, and this is most obvious in his live sets. Those rare(r) box sets he did a decade or so ago are cool. The collab tape with Puce Mary, which is a live show?, that is cool too. There's a 45 minute live set in LA hat used to be on Spotify that ruled! It might still be on there. I guess that's just an aside of solo Rodger, but that's mostly what I know. His approach to solo noise music crashing into psychedelia is pretty foundational, in my opinion.
Do you remember the name of the LA set?
I hope that was recorded...
Live at Dem Passwords. It is on Spotify.

And no, I highly doubt the Philadelphia show was recorded. Didn't need to be. Some things should just happen and fade away...