Hijokaidan YOLO Thread

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Hijokaidan YOLO Thread

Post by holy ghost »

The reissue of the first Hijokaidan LP on Urashima is VERY exciting news. In my mind the most exciting noise releases are groups, Hijokaidan, Incapacitants and C.C.C.C. are the most exciting sorts of stuff I gravitate to.

Historically (IMO) Hijokaidan releases remain the most expensive and most sporadically reissued outside of Japan of the above mentioned groups. The “Polar Nights Live” CD on Pica Disc was huge for me when I heard it, the recent reissues on Fantastique and the Airway/Hijokaidan CD on Helicopter were also really great. I’ve splurged on a bunch of Alchemy CDs when I can find them but I have far from authoritative collection because ordering from Japan is typically prohibitive in price. I was able to snag a bunch from Aquarius years ago before they shut down. Getting “Modern” on vinyl this year was the best shit ever.

I would say two of the best titles are the “Jazz Hijokaidan” CDs, just them jamming like that is so totally sick.

I’d say I have like twenty or so physical Hijokaidan releases and they might be one of my top bands. But I still have trouble buying $50 CDs!!

I also read the Hijokaidan book a while back - great. Like really interesting, even if it stops at the first LP. I would have loved to hear more about Junko, basically I would love to read a second volume.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Re: Hijokaidan YOLO Thread

Post by holy ghost »

Sorry I had a point to this thread - it’s cheaper to buy a vinyl copy of “Modern” or “King of Noise” than it is to buy even a reissue CD. Crazy!
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Not to change the subject with the third post, but your comment makes me think of The Gerogerigegege---a group that, on the one hand, seems so important, yet is, on the other, seemingly neglected in western distros/reissue labels. I guess, overall, it is another annoying reminded of just how niche this music is---otherwise I would think there would be more importers!

Back to Hijokaidan, I also thought that the Urashima reissue looks beautiful (but, honestly, what isn't from that label?).
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

It was great when Jojo was still selling all of the Alchemy CDs on Ebay, you could bid on every Hijo or Incaps CD every week. It felt like they were going to be available forever. Those remastered +1 track versions are excellent and I grabbed quite a few. This was about the 2010s and they would usually end up going for $30 a piece or so at the time which seemed so expensive, but a deal now. Hijo debut, Modern, Romance, and Windom are essential and glad they are getting reissued but CDs would be the best format.

I can't believe that Hijo/Incaps split tape reissue that Fantastique Records just did is still floating out there. An absolute killer and historical release, everyone should own it. Beautifully restored in its original format. I honestly think that Δ8000 could be one of the best noise tracks of all time.

Of the modern stuff, those Jazz Hijokaidan CDs with Akira Sakata are fantastic and I wish they would do all of their new albums with him as a permanent member. Turned me on to his own solo work and the releases with Chikamorachi are really fun.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:31 pmOf the modern stuff, those Jazz Hijokaidan CDs with Akira Sakata are fantastic
Totally with you here - Hijokaidan “with drums” is just about the best shit ever. It’s incredible to hear the fidelity of the “Live In Studio” tracks. Sound 100% different than the typically grimy typically Hijo tracks, liner notes say they went into a real pro 24 track studio…. a fascinating document!!!

I was listening to “Dry Weather” on Apple music and it’s pretty tight. Really trying to justify paying $50+ for a CD and having a haaaaaaaaaaard time.

Also of note - the Sissy Spacek/Hijokaidan release has some of my favourite stuff from both. Absolutely killer release.
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

holy ghost wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:50 pm
Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:31 pmOf the modern stuff, those Jazz Hijokaidan CDs with Akira Sakata are fantastic
Totally with you here - Hijokaidan “with drums” is just about the best shit ever. It’s incredible to hear the fidelity of the “Live In Studio” tracks. Sound 100% different than the typically grimy typically Hijo tracks, liner notes say they went into a real pro 24 track studio…. a fascinating document!!!

I was listening to “Dry Weather” on Apple music and it’s pretty tight. Really trying to justify paying $50+ for a CD and having a haaaaaaaaaaard time.

Also of note - the Sissy Spacek/Hijokaidan release has some of my favourite stuff from both. Absolutely killer release.
$50 is very steep for a single CD. The last Hijokaidan album I bought was the 35th Anniversary Album which was quite good and again maybe around $30. Varied album as each track features a different guest and then the final track is the classic full-group blowout.

The drums are VERY hit or miss to me on a lot of the material. They worked very well on the "Jazz" albums, but I honestly had a hard time with the Emergency Stairway To Heaven pic disk material. They got very repetitive to my ears.

I haven't kept up much with anything since 2014 or 2015, I'm curious which albums people enjoyed in the last 7 years or so.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:26 pm I haven't kept up much with anything since 2014 or 2015, I'm curious which albums people enjoyed in the last 7 years or so.
I enjoyed Emergency Stairway to Heaven and I really liked the Sissy Spacek collab album. I’m curious to hear the E.G.Kaidan album as well but haven’t been able to grab a copy.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Just ordered the No Paris No Harm LP through our main man Taylor - very excited!! Looks like a very well done reissue.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

SS1535 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:24 pm Not to change the subject with the third post, but your comment makes me think of The Gerogerigegege---a group that, on the one hand, seems so important, yet is, on the other, seemingly neglected in western distros/reissue labels. I guess, overall, it is another annoying reminded of just how niche this music is---otherwise I would think there would be more importers!
I have The Gerogerigegege – Senzuri Champion Revised CD available now and Uguisudani Apocalypse CD going up on the site on the 29th.
https://oxenrecords.bigcartel.com/produ ... ts-vavaa90
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

fenian wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:21 pm
SS1535 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:24 pm Not to change the subject with the third post, but your comment makes me think of The Gerogerigegege---a group that, on the one hand, seems so important, yet is, on the other, seemingly neglected in western distros/reissue labels. I guess, overall, it is another annoying reminded of just how niche this music is---otherwise I would think there would be more importers!
I have The Gerogerigegege – Senzuri Champion Revised CD available now and Uguisudani Apocalypse CD going up on the site on the 29th.
https://oxenrecords.bigcartel.com/produ ... ts-vavaa90

US based, I assume? Good to know. I will definitely check in on your distro.
masonoise
Contact Mic

Post by masonoise »

The very first time I saw Hijokaidan live (aside from a warehouse set played with them) was with a drummer, and it was amazing. Hiroshi from CCCC/Astro played drums with them. It was in Tokyo, if I remember correctly at the La Mama live house. I like the propulsion that drums can give to them, especially in a live show.
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

masonoise wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:38 pm The very first time I saw Hijokaidan live (aside from a warehouse set played with them) was with a drummer, and it was amazing. Hiroshi from CCCC/Astro played drums with them. It was in Tokyo, if I remember correctly at the La Mama live house. I like the propulsion that drums can give to them, especially in a live show.
If that was 1997, it was La Mama live house.
masonoise
Contact Mic

Post by masonoise »

This one was in 1992. I feel like it was at La Mama but I'm not sure. I'd have to check my diary from back then! Marble Sheep also played, oddly enough, and the group I was playing with at the time (Torture Chorus).
fenian wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:43 pm
masonoise wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:38 pm The very first time I saw Hijokaidan live (aside from a warehouse set played with them) was with a drummer, and it was amazing. Hiroshi from CCCC/Astro played drums with them. It was in Tokyo, if I remember correctly at the La Mama live house. I like the propulsion that drums can give to them, especially in a live show.
If that was 1997, it was La Mama live house.