Project Feedback Thread

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
brutalist
Blank Tape

Re: Project Feedback Thread

Post by brutalist »

this is my latest release with my pe project varulv: https://brutalisttapes.bandcamp.com/alb ... lv-stfront

i've gone from more pure industrial pe on my early releases to this new approach, including more rotten harsh noise-y sound into the mix, while also being very influenced by death industrial. the tracks are instrumentals, because they were actually just experiments that i decided in the end was good enough to release. next i am contemplating this approach but with (limited) vocals. i used synth, pedals, scrap metal and on the last track an old malfunctioning radio that i sampled.
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

brutalist wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:34 am this is my latest release with my pe project varulv: https://brutalisttapes.bandcamp.com/alb ... lv-stfront

i've gone from more pure industrial pe on my early releases to this new approach, including more rotten harsh noise-y sound into the mix, while also being very influenced by death industrial. the tracks are instrumentals, because they were actually just experiments that i decided in the end was good enough to release. next i am contemplating this approach but with (limited) vocals. i used synth, pedals, scrap metal and on the last track an old malfunctioning radio that i sampled.
I like this, The slowly pulsating synths in the first track are really good, and it’s almost a pity when the junk metal metal comes in. The second track is a bit unsurprising at first, but the second half is much better. The final track is almost, but not quite, too long. In the end it manages to justify its lenght, imo. All in all I’d say this is a solid effort, with potential to be great with a few tweaks. Adding some vocals to this would definitely work, imo. I think you could take this either in a more aggressive direction, or towards something even more sparse, desolate and minimalist and both approaches would work. Do you play live at all?
brutalist
Blank Tape

Post by brutalist »

Atrophist wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:27 pm
brutalist wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:34 am this is my latest release with my pe project varulv: https://brutalisttapes.bandcamp.com/alb ... lv-stfront

I like this, The slowly pulsating synths in the first track are really good, and it’s almost a pity when the junk metal metal comes in. The second track is a bit unsurprising at first, but the second half is much better. The final track is almost, but not quite, too long. In the end it manages to justify its lenght, imo. All in all I’d say this is a solid effort, with potential to be great with a few tweaks. Adding some vocals to this would definitely work, imo. I think you could take this either in a more aggressive direction, or towards something even more sparse, desolate and minimalist and both approaches would work. Do you play live at all?
thanks for the positive critique! i will probably use vocals on my next release, as i have done in the past, but with the desolate minimalist sound, while also having lively, evolving sounds in the mix, so basically the next release is just planned to be a mix of the early and later varulv sound. i have played live two times, but relied a little too much on backing tracks for my own taste, still trying to figure out how to do the "songs" live, if it is even possible. live shows could also just be controlled improvisation, but i have no offers to speak of, but we will see. once again thanks!
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

This is the most recent "complete work" (under the name Decrepitude) that I have put together, and I would really appreciate hearing what anyone has to say about it - good, bad, or otherwise. https://shatteredurethra.bandcamp.com/track/possession
thatonekidatshows
C20

Post by thatonekidatshows »

SS1535 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:55 pm This is the most recent "complete work" (under the name Decrepitude) that I have put together, and I would really appreciate hearing what anyone has to say about it - good, bad, or otherwise.
Quick rundown of gear? I quite like the more old-school industrial sort of vibe you achieve. That sound that starts the song off (distorted bass guitar?) sounds great. My only gripe with the track is that I wish you spent the ten minute runtime building the track up instead of hitting the listener with most of the track's sound palette at once after a few seconds. Otherwise, I don't have much more to say. It sounds pretty different from what I've been hearing from a lot of other artists, so that's refreshing. :)
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

thatonekidatshows wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:50 am
SS1535 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:55 pm This is the most recent "complete work" (under the name Decrepitude) that I have put together, and I would really appreciate hearing what anyone has to say about it - good, bad, or otherwise.
Quick rundown of gear? I quite like the more old-school industrial sort of vibe you achieve. That sound that starts the song off (distorted bass guitar?) sounds great. My only gripe with the track is that I wish you spent the ten minute runtime building the track up instead of hitting the listener with most of the track's sound palette at once after a few seconds. Otherwise, I don't have much more to say. It sounds pretty different from what I've been hearing from a lot of other artists, so that's refreshing. :)
Thanks for the feedback! I agree that the overall composition is not great, and I think that is, for me, the next thing I need to figure out before worrying about new gear. I don't exactly remember what I used, but I believe that most of it is based around a few recordings of a distorted Volca Keys synth, with some other small contact mic'ed pieces of metal (plus a field recording on the very end).
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

I agree with this assessment. Love the super primitive no-fi sounds. But yeah, this is definitely a bit too long.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Atrophist wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:33 pm
I agree with this assessment. Love the super primitive no-fi sounds. But yeah, this is definitely a bit too long.
Thank you also for the kind words and assessment!
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

I really appreciated the feedback that I received on the last track that I posted, so I thought I would share another, though a little older, one.

https://kvntkolektiv.bandcamp.com/track ... yard-decay

Currently, I have some fragmentary recordings that add up to something like the track here. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the composition/development of the noise that I could take into consideration when assembling new material.
thatonekidatshows
C20

SS1535 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:21 pm I really appreciated the feedback that I received on the last track that I posted, so I thought I would share another, though a little older, one.
Being honest, I wasn't really digging it at first. As the track went on, though, I got more into it. Granted, I'm a little biased against this sort of thing 'cause I'm not a huge fan of the natural metal close-mic sound. I think the vibe grew on me as an image started to appear in my mind. The slow grinding and low buzzing/humming made me think of being trapped in a worn machine of suffering--like I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

Overall, I think there's something to be said for both the fact that I didn't like it at first and that it grew on me. It was too slow, but I wish it went on for longer, y'know? I guess that means it should be more focused on creating an atmosphere that sucks you in for a while rather than having you go, "I wonder when this will get interesting." I have some things that I would've personally liked to hear (therefore, take my biases into account): More loops of electronics and metal, less loud and more sparse and/or grinding metal, more focus on creating a brooding atmosphere by placing emphasis on that dark, foreboding background synth.

Hopefully that helps.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

thatonekidatshows wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:16 pm
SS1535 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:21 pm I really appreciated the feedback that I received on the last track that I posted, so I thought I would share another, though a little older, one.
Being honest, I wasn't really digging it at first. As the track went on, though, I got more into it. Granted, I'm a little biased against this sort of thing 'cause I'm not a huge fan of the natural metal close-mic sound. I think the vibe grew on me as an image started to appear in my mind. The slow grinding and low buzzing/humming made me think of being trapped in a worn machine of suffering--like I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

Overall, I think there's something to be said for both the fact that I didn't like it at first and that it grew on me. It was too slow, but I wish it went on for longer, y'know? I guess that means it should be more focused on creating an atmosphere that sucks you in for a while rather than having you go, "I wonder when this will get interesting." I have some things that I would've personally liked to hear (therefore, take my biases into account): More loops of electronics and metal, less loud and more sparse and/or grinding metal, more focus on creating a brooding atmosphere by placing emphasis on that dark, foreboding background synth.

Hopefully that helps.
Thanks! I relistened to the track before I posted it, and I think that I felt the same way you did - it got better the further into it I got.

The metal is not the best, for sure. I didn't have access to large metal scraps/a space where I can indulge in natural acoustics, so I was stuck with amplifying small bits and pieces (yes, I know that sort of misses the point of/is certainly not the best practice for metal abuse!).

Do you think the lack of interest in the beginning could be compensated for with the inclusion of a sample (voices or something)?
thatonekidatshows
C20

SS1535 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:23 pm Do you think the lack of interest in the beginning could be compensated for with the inclusion of a sample (voices or something)?
I think that is certainly an idea. Really, I think it'd benefit from you just really focusing on what makes the track good--the atmosphere--and work on finding ways to develop that throughout the track's runtime. I don't know if you're a visual sort of creative, but I would suggest you picture the atmosphere that the track is creating for you, and add (the sounds of) anything that you see in that image if it isn't already present. Trim out any part that feels unnecessary, and add to any parts that feel like they're missing something.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

thatonekidatshows wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:53 am
SS1535 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:23 pm Do you think the lack of interest in the beginning could be compensated for with the inclusion of a sample (voices or something)?
I think that is certainly an idea. Really, I think it'd benefit from you just really focusing on what makes the track good--the atmosphere--and work on finding ways to develop that throughout the track's runtime. I don't know if you're a visual sort of creative, but I would suggest you picture the atmosphere that the track is creating for you, and add (the sounds of) anything that you see in that image if it isn't already present. Trim out any part that feels unnecessary, and add to any parts that feel like they're missing something.
That's a great idea! I feel like I always talk about it on forums, but I recently got a copy of N.'s "Resignation" compilation, and that is exactly what he does. In the booklet he describes the general aesthetic he had in mind, and then created a sound to match it.
dertodesking
Contact Mic

Post by dertodesking »

Hey! here's a track i finished this weekend for my PE project Come and See. I'd love to know what y'all think of it.
I think most of it i've done with a couple of eurorack modules and my Elektron Analog Rythm. Then i've bounced everything
in Ableton, tweeked it to place everything where i wanted it to then i recorded the vocals. What i started to do recently is run
the song through my monitors and record what is coming out with a pair of mics to get the room sound. Then i slip it under
the original mix. Even though i have a small shitty basement room, i love the dept and natural feel it add. In the end i bounce
everything to tape and than back to the computer for some final tweeks.

Thats pretty much it. Thanks for listening!

https://soundcloud.com/uncle_bin/come-a ... al_sharing
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

https://namahsnoise.bandcamp.com

Finally got this noise/drone-thing uploaded. This is basicly the track that got me started. Hence the name "Beginning".
Cable in my hand thats going through (cant remember for sure) wah-rat-delay-reverb-mixeramp-410cab and recorded with a phone.
Not much afterwork done for now. Nervous as shit for some reason to send this haha!
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

thatonekidatshows
C20

Namahs wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:54 am https://namahsnoise.bandcamp.com

Finally got this noise/drone-thing uploaded. This is basicly the track that got me started. Hence the name "Beginning".
Gonna be straight with you: I was not expecting something the track to be any good based on your description. That couldn't be further from the case, though. I was very pleasantly surprised by what I heard. I would definitely put it on during the day. Is Coil's dark ambient work an inspiration for you? It definitely reminded me of that.

Now, onto what I think you should try next: First, I think you'd benefit from recording it better. A phone microphone simply does not do it the justice it deserves! Of course, that's a load of expenditures that may not be in the plan, so do what you can. I just think you should consider it. Secondly, I think you could try adding some other sounds to your palate. As much as I enjoy the dark ambient/drone sound, I know next to nothing about producing it. Perhaps get a little monophonic synthesizer and run it through pedals? That often seems to be do the trick, ha ha. Hopefully somebody else on here could give you some better tips.

Anyway, please post more in the future. I look forward to hearing it.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

thatonekidatshows wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:14 am
Namahs wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:54 am https://namahsnoise.bandcamp.com

Gonna be straight with you: I was not expecting something the track to be any good based on your description. That couldn't be further from the case, though. I was very pleasantly surprised by what I heard. I would definitely put it on during the day. Is Coil's dark ambient work an inspiration for you? It definitely reminded me of that.

Now, onto what I think you should try next: First, I think you'd benefit from recording it better. A phone microphone simply does not do it the justice it deserves! Of course, that's a load of expenditures that may not be in the plan, so do what you can. I just think you should consider it. Secondly, I think you could try adding some other sounds to your palate. As much as I enjoy the dark ambient/drone sound, I know next to nothing about producing it. Perhaps get a little monophonic synthesizer and run it through pedals? That often seems to be do the trick, ha ha. Hopefully somebody else on here could give you some better tips.

Anyway, please post more in the future. I look forward to hearing it.
Appreciated and thank you!
I'm not actually even sure if I've checked Coil's material. It's been on my checklist for ages.

This was originally recorded on phone because I didnt have any better option on hand at the moment and just wanted to "catch the atmosphere" quickly. You know "I'll check if there is any idea here". Ended up digging it alot!
I have already plans including more variation, more layers, different sounds and what not since now we have better recording setup at our rehearsal room.

I'll definitely be posting more stuff in the future. Tons of ideas waiting to be free freed from my head!
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Atrophist wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:32 pm We hope you enjoy our new direction.
Digging it!
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

Namahs wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:58 am
Digging it!

Actually I listened to your track last nite, so I might as well try to get my thoughts in order regarding it now. I actually feel pretty much similarly to member thatonekidatshows, that based on your description of it I wasn’t really expecting anything especially accomplished (not that there would be anything wrong with that, since everyone has to start somewhere). But this is actually really good, very arresting. Less really is more. I’m not really sure if I can think of recommendations on how to improve further, since I really have no clue regarding production methods, etc. Just do what feels right I guess. :D
dertodesking
Contact Mic

Post by dertodesking »

Really beautiful track. Haunting stuff really. I like the production as well. The bass sits in the right place and there's a good balance with it and the crispy, crunchy textures on top. I think the only part that I find breaks a bit the mood is when the track gets noisier near the end. That's just my opinion really. I still think it's a great track. Nice artwork as well! Cheers!
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

dertodesking wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:52 pm
Really beautiful track. Haunting stuff really. I like the production as well. The bass sits in the right place and there's a good balance with it and the crispy, crunchy textures on top. I think the only part that I find breaks a bit the mood is when the track gets noisier near the end. That's just my opinion really. I still think it's a great track. Nice artwork as well! Cheers!
Thank you very much. :)

The original recording was almost twice as long, and I did wonder if I shouldn’t have cut it off at an earlier point. I’ve been experimenting with recording live to tape in one take (that’s the ”new direction” I referred to), in order to add a little more spontaneity to things. The artwork was done in about two minutes, and kept as simple as possible. Thanks again mate.

Btw I’ve listened to your track too, I should probably play it one more time and then get back to this thread tomorrow. I like it, but want to listen to it one more time.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

Atrophist wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:26 pm
Namahs wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:58 am
Digging it!

Actually I listened to your track last nite, so I might as well try to get my thoughts in order regarding it now. I actually feel pretty much similarly to member thatonekidatshows, that based on your description of it I wasn’t really expecting anything especially accomplished (not that there would be anything wrong with that, since everyone has to start somewhere). But this is actually really good, very arresting. Less really is more. I’m not really sure if I can think of recommendations on how to improve further, since I really have no clue regarding production methods, etc. Just do what feels right I guess. :D
Appreciated! Thank you.
At least I need to focus bit more on the description it seems haha!
dertodesking
Contact Mic

Post by dertodesking »

Atrophist wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:17 pm
dertodesking wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:52 pm
Thank you very much. :)

The original recording was almost twice as long, and I did wonder if I shouldn’t have cut it off at an earlier point. I’ve been experimenting with recording live to tape in one take (that’s the ”new direction” I referred to), in order to add a little more spontaneity to things. The artwork was done in about two minutes, and kept as simple as possible. Thanks again mate.

Btw I’ve listened to your track too, I should probably play it one more time and then get back to this thread tomorrow. I like it, but want to listen to it one more time.
Sweet man. Yeah live recording can yield some nice surprises and happy accidents I find. The last two tracks I've made we're done in Ableton track by track and I find it harder to recreate something that feel "in the moment" but it's easier to tweak and fine tunes everything.

Can I ask you how you about your recording set-up? Do you record the outputs of your instruments directly to tape, do you mic an amp or you have a whole different process?
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

dertodesking wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:03 pm Hey! here's a track i finished this weekend for my PE project Come and See. I'd love to know what y'all think of it.
I think most of it i've done with a couple of eurorack modules and my Elektron Analog Rythm. Then i've bounced everything
in Ableton, tweeked it to place everything where i wanted it to then i recorded the vocals. What i started to do recently is run
the song through my monitors and record what is coming out with a pair of mics to get the room sound. Then i slip it under
the original mix. Even though i have a small shitty basement room, i love the dept and natural feel it add. In the end i bounce
everything to tape and than back to the computer for some final tweeks.

Thats pretty much it. Thanks for listening!

https://soundcloud.com/uncle_bin/come-a ... al_sharing
OK, this is pretty much the type of stuff I like. Harsh and ugly, and primitive sounding. Based on your description of your process, you’ve clearly thought this out and made an effort (which is great), but this doesn’t sound too busy, or try-hard. So solid effort, basically.

The one thing that gives me pause is the vocals. It’s not that I don’t like them, but it feels like they should be mixed a little differently. They could be harsher, louder and punchier, OR they could be mixed even further down as just another ”instrumental” sound. That is obviously just my own opinion and there’s no right or wrong way to do this.