substance abuse/usage in noise

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
Streetcleaner2
Contact Mic

substance abuse/usage in noise

Post by Streetcleaner2 »

substance abuse/usage in noise scenes & in general amongst noise artists to fuel the creation of noise & or at noise shows . experiences with or with people who partake
Bleak Existence
Contact Mic

Re: substance abuse/usage in noise

Post by Bleak Existence »

XXX
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

wasn't there a thread about this already? not to be rude ...
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

It's not even audio but Bryan Lewis Saunders' self portraits all done under the influence of different drugs is the only thing I can think of that's really close to noteworthy about this. Anecdotes and imagery of Mikawa and co getting leathered on Sake are really fun, but I don't think liking a drink is especially rare among noise people, nor is any ensuing chaos captured on tape under its influence. I suppose stoner heads in Detroit or wherever making foggy, weirdo noise is great. As is someone like Twig Harper being something of a psychonaut. Lots of stories about wild characters past and present in noise being wasted, sure. But what is there to say beyond the fact?
Remi
Thrashmaster

Post by Remi »

Bleak Existence wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:42 amXXX
Violent Shogun / Hattifnattar / Cryptofascisme / etc:
http://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com
Droit Divin:
http://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com
Lava:
http://lavabdx.bandcamp.com
Streetcleaner2
Contact Mic

Post by Streetcleaner2 »

adult human wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:53 pm It's not even audio but Bryan Lewis Saunders' self portraits all done under the influence of different drugs is the only thing I can think of that's really close to noteworthy about this. Anecdotes and imagery of Mikawa and co getting leathered on Sake are really fun, but I don't think liking a drink is especially rare among noise people, nor is any ensuing chaos captured on tape under its influence. I suppose stoner heads in Detroit or wherever making foggy, weirdo noise is great. As is someone like Twig Harper being something of a psychonaut. Lots of stories about wild characters past and present in noise being wasted, sure. But what is there to say beyond the fact?
i would have assumed there would be a lot more psychonauts making noise , it’s really what this post came from , was looking for any links, and watching the older footage of crowds in throbbing gristle / psychic tv live sets though that’s more in the industrial realm i suppose
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Streetcleaner2 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:53 pm
adult human wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:53 pm It's not even audio but Bryan Lewis Saunders' self portraits all done under the influence of different drugs is the only thing I can think of that's really close to noteworthy about this. Anecdotes and imagery of Mikawa and co getting leathered on Sake are really fun, but I don't think liking a drink is especially rare among noise people, nor is any ensuing chaos captured on tape under its influence. I suppose stoner heads in Detroit or wherever making foggy, weirdo noise is great. As is someone like Twig Harper being something of a psychonaut. Lots of stories about wild characters past and present in noise being wasted, sure. But what is there to say beyond the fact?
i would have assumed there would be a lot more psychonauts making noise , it’s really what this post came from , was looking for any links, and watching the older footage of crowds in throbbing gristle / psychic tv live sets though that’s more in the industrial realm i suppose
For what it's worth I think you're probably right, I just struggle to think of close to home examples where this is a front and centre part of the project. Nearly everything that comes to mind is either extraneous contextual info about the artist or just bog standard psychedelic imagery stuff.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

There was a period of time when I would get high on things I'd rather not mention and try to capture my weird, almost exclusively morbid and depressive intrusive thoughts on paper through sketches/words, and also occasionally attempt to make noise/ambient/weirdo nonsense.

I won't say that there's nothing intriguing about some of the results, but I also don't miss that period of my life. Most of that time was spent too wigged out to do anything productive anyway, and it ultimately just exacerbated my anxiety and depression.

I've had problems with alcohol most of my adult life. When I was younger, it used to be loads of fun to drink and cause a ruckus. But these days, between work and self-medicating with booze and managing the inevitable Monday morning withdrawal symptoms, I barely touch my gear, or if I do, I don't accomplish much.

Never been into pot just because it makes me anxious and twitchy in 90% of social situations, and most people want to use it socially. I am fine using it by myself, and suspect it could even help with some of my difficulties in quitting alcohol. But it's too much of a hassle to seek this stuff out when I don't even hang out locally anymore.

At the end of the day, I am not so keen on drugs or alcohol. In my case, they were/are merely poor substitutes for better alternatives and strategies. Symbols of failed coping. But I really don't want to dump on it either, because I understand that people have to choose their own paths, and that hard and soft addictions are the same story for a lot of people: For everyone who can use drugs in moderation and for "the experience", there's dozens more who just couldn't find a better way to cope. I'm not trying to suggest all junkies are angels, or even redeemable either. I just understand why a lot of people get stuck in that cycle in the first place.
lyves
Sound Art

Post by lyves »

I like getting high and listening to "Grind" by Macronympha. Don't let me be misunderstood. You can be as straight edge as you want to be and still be a noisehead. But for me, nothing beats the feeling of smoking a little dope and getting drunk as fuck at 3 AM on a Wednesday morning while listening to Monde Bruits. I don't care if you're black or white, I care if you know what it means to feel the blood rushing through your body while you feel your heart beat out of your chest. To quote Ron, God Bless America.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

BSBC were adamantly stoned on the weed.
Vast Field Magnetism
C20

Post by Vast Field Magnetism »

Reaching Needles is tapping into the destructive aspects of hard drug use.

Pretty much everyone in the mid-00's was high off the reefer.

I won't go too into detail, but psych-fractured headspaces and the physical/mental recovery from years of severe alcoholism are integral to the shit I do.

Those "X Means Not Welcome" compilations are frustratingly ignorant shit from artists that should know better.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Vast Field Magnetism wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:01 am Those "X Means Not Welcome" compilations are frustratingly ignorant shit from artists that should know better.
Never really heard much of that stuff but know what you're talking about. Always found it outstandingly embarrassing and cheesy more than anything else. A real moment where the influence of Hardcore on Noise artists of that time shone through and announced itself in full mediocrity.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

My use of alcohol is getting less and less nowadays. I prefer devils lettuce.
It's a lot of fun going to our rehearsal place, set the gear up and go for a smoke and start blasting. Though it works just as well sober.
Natalia
C20

Post by Natalia »

Doing drugs, especially psychedelics, completely changed how I approach music composition and production. I'm always sober when I'm working on stuff since it requires a degree of focus for me. But I'll deliberately add pieces of noise, automate weird panning and other effects because I know it will sound cool on acid later.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Remi wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:36 pm
Present and accounted for.

Btw I remember often standing around, watching everyone's gear between sets at shows while everyone playing (and some of the audience) ran outside to smoke weed.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Some guy kept vaping at the Bastard Noise show that I went to last month, and it was really annoying given the small scale of the venue!
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:18 am

Btw I remember often standing around, watching everyone's gear between sets at shows while everyone playing (and some of the audience) ran outside to smoke weed.
See, you know what is truly important at noise shows!
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Same, no drugs/alcohol usage for myself either.
Tinnitustimulus
C20

Post by Tinnitustimulus »

I find it hard not to have a beer at a noise show. I rarely have more than two tall boys, but once its a fest or I'm on tour I have to really think about what I'm doing.

When I was younger I played drunk quite a lot, and had this difficult sampler I only seemed to know how to use when I drank. Other than that, I don't think really anything more positive happened compared to playing closer to sober.

I'm staying the fuck the away from snorting drugs, known people to die from fentanyl from batches that were supposed to be coke.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Suddenly, a wild REDNECK appears!:
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

SS1535 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:39 pm
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:18 am

See, you know what is truly important at noise shows!
Hahaha
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Tinnitustimulus wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:11 pm I find it hard not to have a beer at a noise show. I rarely have more than two tall boys, but once its a fest or I'm on tour I have to really think about what I'm doing.

When I was younger I played drunk quite a lot, and had this difficult sampler I only seemed to know how to use when I drank. Other than that, I don't think really anything more positive happened compared to playing closer to sober.

I'm staying the fuck the away from snorting drugs, known people to die from fentanyl from batches that were supposed to be coke.
Yeah, "nose beers" in the Midwest are often laced. Actually, almost everything can be out here.
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

I thot REDNECK was high on blackberries
Mangrum
Blank Tape

Post by Mangrum »

I love weed and booze as much as the next person, but if it's integral to the execution or experience of someone's music then no thanks. Go play in a fucking jam band.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Mangrum wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:38 pm Go play in a fucking jam band.
I would love to meet some noise guys and play some wild free psychedelic rock... I bet you could really get out of that blues jammin' and make some fucked up shit....

I don't make judgments on whatever anyone wants to do but for me the older I get the appeal of drinking is losing it's special fun charm and being around drunk people is not that fun. My wife and I will usually split a bottle of wine a few times a week while watching a movie but I can't even really drink beer like I used to. Maybe if I'm BBQ-ing. I used to love drinking whisky too but if I have even one ounce I wake up feeling like I spent the night living inside the devil's asshole....

I love bands like Bongzilla but I don't smoke weed. I love Eyehategod and I don't do heroin either.