substance abuse/usage in noise

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
theworldisawarfilm
C20

Re: substance abuse/usage in noise

Post by theworldisawarfilm »

I'm high right now.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

holy ghost wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:10 pm
Mangrum wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:38 pm Go play in a fucking jam band.
I would love to meet some noise guys and play some wild free psychedelic rock... I bet you could really get out of that blues jammin' and make some fucked up shit....
For the past few years, I've been wanting to organize monthly "noise jams" where people can improvise through a single mixer/PA setup and then record the results and host them online.

The hope for this idea is that a local scene could develop organically from it, or that I could at least find one other person in the process with whom to share my noiselife and have have hot, gay noisesex on the reg and maybe adopt 3-to-7 noisecats together... Find my noisesoulmate... @~@

Ironically, putting aside the lack of places to host meetups, my biggest dread is that such events would attract nothing but boring, slow-motion stonerbros with 50 guitars. Like, no judgment, but I don't want these kinds of things to just devolve into tedious, unproductive bake-offs, which almost feels inevitable in a city like Huntsville.
Streetcleaner2
Contact Mic

Post by Streetcleaner2 »

how about drug paraphernalia packaging like mo*te’s NeedleFreak
which included a spoon and what appears to be part of a syringe
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

My copy of Crumer's Thin Ice didn't come with a cigarette. T__T

I have been hoarding cheap liqour bottle flow regulators for a while. I keep thinking about using them for some sort of art/crafts project. I have shitloads of them.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Streetcleaner2 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:13 am how about drug paraphernalia packaging like mo*te’s NeedleFreak
which included a spoon and what appears to be part of a syringe
Remember that fake weed bag that was a part of a CBN LP package? lmao
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Streetcleaner2 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:13 am how about drug paraphernalia packaging
NGL I got my copy of the new Sulfuric Cautery LP yesterday and it didn't include the rolling papers. I was a little disappointed!!
oZiris
Hard Panning

Post by oZiris »

It’s really cute this topic, “drugs in the scene”. Is this referencing the way it was 5, 10, or 20 years ago? Because as far as I can tell the economic pandemic power grab by the 1% in the 2020’s killed any semblance of a concurrent noise community. Which has now been relegated to a predominantly digital community in America; in which artists can be censored or discredited by neo-conservative trash that’d never pay a fucking dime to see a real noise show in their life.

With that being said, like thinking back to fucking prom; I remember what it was like going to a high quality underground noise show: I’d usually have a backpack with a few drinks in it or the house would be selling cheap beer or cocktails. There’d be a cannabis friendly circle where noise heads, punks, rockers, goths, terminal preppies, black metal sadists, & anyone else was welcome. No one was too uptight because it was common knowledge that the For Profit Prison System was the main reason a drug like cannabis was EVER illegal in the first place. Also quite unique was the common use of poppers before catching a noise set.

But if you want to talk about DRUGS, it’s quite astonishing to me that a number of DJ’s that i respect seem to be regularly playing shows in Medellín Columbia. Makes you wonder: Who’s Booking This Shit? Your ex’s dealer’s Crackhead supplier?

Hot Tip: Don’t take advice on creativity from 4Chan trolls!
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

I really missed the boat on the noise = poppers connection, but it's something I've heard about multiple times before. What is the origin of this... I don't know what else to call it except a "meme"?

Completely confused by this. No stranger to poppers for reasons completely unrelated to noise but, um, I don't have a clue where this came from in association with the noise scene. Like, is this some BLJ reference I missed? lol.

Vast Field Magnetism
C20

Post by Vast Field Magnetism »

oZiris wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:39 pm It’s really cute this topic, “drugs in the scene”. Is this referencing the way it was 5, 10, or 20 years ago? Because as far as I can tell the economic pandemic power grab by the 1% in the 2020’s killed any semblance of a concurrent noise community. Which has now been relegated to a predominantly digital community in America; in which artists can be censored or discredited by neo-conservative trash that’d never pay a fucking dime to see a real noise show in their life.

With that being said, like thinking back to fucking prom; I remember what it was like going to a high quality underground noise show: I’d usually have a backpack with a few drinks in it or the house would be selling cheap beer or cocktails. There’d be a cannabis friendly circle where noise heads, punks, rockers, goths, terminal preppies, black metal sadists, & anyone else was welcome. No one was too uptight because it was common knowledge that the For Profit Prison System was the main reason a drug like cannabis was EVER illegal in the first place. Also quite unique was the common use of poppers before catching a noise set.

But if you want to talk about DRUGS, it’s quite astonishing to me that a number of DJ’s that i respect seem to be regularly playing shows in Medellín Columbia. Makes you wonder: Who’s Booking This Shit? Your ex’s dealer’s Crackhead supplier?

Dawg you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

The noise community, as I've experienced it, has always been a predominantly digital/online experience. the Midwest and New England are not the world. And the world beyond cannot and should not be expected to mirror them.

That's my unsolicited provincial gripe about the East coast for today.
JuntaCadre
Hard Panning

Post by JuntaCadre »

oZiris wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:39 pm It’s really cute this topic, “drugs in the scene”. Is this referencing the way it was 5, 10, or 20 years ago? Because as far as I can tell the economic pandemic power grab by the 1% in the 2020’s killed any semblance of a concurrent noise community. Which has now been relegated to a predominantly digital community in America; in which artists can be censored or discredited by neo-conservative trash that’d never pay a fucking dime to see a real noise show in their life.
homie, what
What Abraham found easiest, I would have found hard, namely to be joyful again with Isaac

Herukrat, Junta Cadre, Commuter.

https://juntacadre.bandcamp.com/
https://newforces.bandcamp.com/album/no-longer-penitent
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:43 am I really missed the boat on the noise = poppers connection, but it's something I've heard about multiple times before. What is the origin of this... I don't know what else to call it except a "meme"?

Completely confused by this. No stranger to poppers for reasons completely unrelated to noise but, um, I don't have a clue where this came from in association with the noise scene. Like, is this some BLJ reference I missed? lol.

Still thinking about this. Seriously. I feel like this is supposed to be some obvious thing I'm not getting. It's making me feel a bit insecure to be honest.
Especially since I've used poppers so heavily that every pungent, caustic chemical I smell gives me hallucinations that I'm smelling the gape-juice.
Tribe Tapes
Thrashmaster

Post by Tribe Tapes »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:27 pm Still thinking about this. Seriously. I feel like this is supposed to be some obvious thing I'm not getting. It's making me feel a bit insecure to be honest.
Especially since I've used poppers so heavily that every pungent, caustic chemical I smell gives me hallucinations that I'm smelling the gape-juice.
I was at a noise show this week where one of the artists inhaled a popper right before his set, and his performance ended a few minutes later as it wore off. Not that this answers your concerns at all. ****
Thomas_B
Contact Mic

Post by Thomas_B »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:27 pm
Bubble-Congeries wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:43 am I really missed the boat on the noise = poppers connection, but it's something I've heard about multiple times before. What is the origin of this... I don't know what else to call it except a "meme"?

Still thinking about this. Seriously. I feel like this is supposed to be some obvious thing I'm not getting. It's making me feel a bit insecure to be honest.
Never knew much about poppers, other than what I gleaned from reading the exploits of Raoul Duke and his attorney via Hunter S. Thompson. Funnily enough, when I first caught wind of Cleaner Tapes - I assume that’s why you’ve mentioned poppers in noise - I scoured the internet for info about the benefits of cleaning cassettes. I’d heard of cleaning vinyl before, but never cassette tapes! I soon realized I’m just a clueless, embarrassingly hetero guy.

I get drug and alcohol use, I’ve been there myself. Sometimes I wish I could imbibe every once in a while but “one is too many and a thousand is never enough” rings true for me, so it’s better for me and my family if I abstain. I’ll jam some psych rock now and again, but whatever I get from noise has nothing to do with drugs. As someone else already said, if using drugs is integral to your project, I’m inclined to give it a pass.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

I recall getting smashed a few times and recording into my 4 track experimenting and loving the process thinking "I'm on to something" only to wake up the next day and listen back wondering WTF was I thinking. Not opposed to partying and playing and recording whatever works for the individual.
FrenziedDestruction
Contact Mic

Post by FrenziedDestruction »

people seem to think that if your a artist, writer, or some type of musician that chemical dependency is like roids for bodybuilders but i do my best work sober or lightly stoned (for the sound euphoria).
generally alcohol or drugs just make me want to focus on getting wasted and laying around not creating or doing things.
not to knock the methods of others, of course.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

FrenziedDestruction wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:10 pm people seem to think that if your a artist, writer, or some type of musician that chemical dependency is like roids for bodybuilders but i do my best work sober or lightly stoned (for the sound euphoria).
generally alcohol or drugs just make me want to focus on getting wasted and laying around not creating or doing things.
not to knock the methods of others, of course.
When I was younger is was an occasional weekend ritual to drink and make noise, but these days, it's the same. I've become completely useless and unproductive under the influence of alcohol.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Were you high when you typed that?

Anyhow, poppers were popular at some Midwestern noise shows ten years ago or so, not sure if that's still the case now.
oZiris
Hard Panning

Post by oZiris »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:32 am
oZiris wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:39 pm Hot Tip: Don’t take advice on creativity from 4Chan trolls!
No.
Do you benefit from Mandatory Minimum Sentencing? or just that prohibition conservative rust belt leaning?
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

oZiris wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:26 am
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:32 am
oZiris wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:39 pm Hot Tip: Don’t take advice on creativity from 4Chan trolls!
No.
Do you benefit from Mandatory Minimum Sentencing? or just that prohibition conservative rust belt leaning?
I believe that everything should be legalized. EVERYTHING.

Btw I am originally from the East Coast.
SafetyPropaganda
Contact Mic

Post by SafetyPropaganda »

the fuck are you talking about?

Empathic Window
Sound Art

Post by Empathic Window »

I sorta fancy myself a psychonaut, and my artist name is meant as a paraphrase on Aldous Huxley’s Doors of Perception. I have performed and recorded under the influence of LSD a handful of times but not lately, these days I’m more or less completely sober aside from the occasional beer because my day job drug tests.