Grindcore / Noisecore / Powerviolence / Gorenoise

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Re: Grindcore / Noisecore / Powerviolence / Gorenoise

Post by Namahs »

Was working at a festival and Rotten Sound was the last band on our stage.
Classic and always great to see the guys and see them play.

Fluoride rules hard as hell!
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Powerviolence

Post by Happiness, forever »

Wild AF INFEST show:

Singer of Negative FX in there on a NFX cover and an Infest song.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Happiness, forever wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:29 am Yeah, not grindcore at all: Powerviolence

I saw em a cpl times on their US tour waaaaay back when and they were FANTASTIC! One of my faves
I saw them in Vancouver on that same tour (circa February 2009 with Iron Lung) and they looked incredibly disinterested in the whole affair. I guess touring the grey and rainy PNW in winter wasn't an ideal time for those Australians.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

Hmm. That is too bad. Maybe they had a bad time crossing the border? Maybe…
I forget name of band, they were from Washington DC I think, but I saw this hc show once arnd 2000-04, guerilla set at 16th&Mission in San Francisco. Anyway, the singer & iirc the bass player got in a fight while they were playing, punches being thrown, singer gets knocked down more punches & kicks, great set. The band broke up right after. Ha!
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

God what a perfect album

Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

33033 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:24 pm God what a perfect album

Absolutely perfect band and not a second wasted on Misery Index. Anticapital is also such a solid release as well but they crafted a perfect grind album here.

Always dug this concert and a great view of Rob and his drumming:
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Mudlark LP+7” (Schizophrenic, 2009)

Massive record from an absolute powerhouse of a band. “Doom grind” from Vancouver featuring some of the city’s finest fast-players and one of the hardest-hitting drummers to ever do it. Synonymous with powerviolence unit Osk (sharing 2/3 members before lineup changes, the bands would often come as a package deal as seen on the 2008 Canadian tour with The Endless Blockade).

Comparisons to The Endless Blockade are apt, to a point. Some of the slow parts could have easily been on “Primitive”, Gord’s vocals are at times reminiscent of Carroll’s, and if you’re familiar with avant-garde composer Noah Creshevsky’s “remix” of “Primitive”, you’ll find the 7” starts off in an oddly similar way (though the Mudlark material predates the remix). But where Blockade was essentially a power violent hardcore band, Mudlark’s roots were much dirtier, taking cues from 90s ug grind and the heaviest, grossest sludge bands.

I started booking Mudlark in my home town in 2007 and the wholesome little city never knew what hit ‘em. One memorable show was on the second floor of a tiny house that we had co-opted for shows. Mattresses were put in front of the glass doors and windows to help dampen the sound while Mudlark played one of the loudest sets I’ve experienced outside of Swans. Osk and War Hero also played. In Disgust was to come up for another gig with them but only Matt (and Eric from Torture Garden Picture Company) made it across the border.

Writing all of this while listening to the album for the first time in years has me realizing just how good it is. Mudlark, the band and its members, has always been important to me, but now the advantage of hindsight puts their regional importance into perspective as well. The members went on and continue to do many things: Dave is in Ceremonial Bloodbath and Hacked Apart. Gord is in Nova Scotia. Who knows where Jersey Jay is.

The album may be on YouTube, or should be soon courtesy of Six Brew Bryan’s VIGC Archival project. Recommended if you're in this thread.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:07 pm Mudlark LP+7” (Schizophrenic, 2009)
This was not on my radar but sounds wild. Going to keep an eye out for it. [Edit: also my old friend Darin did the artwork for it]

Recently ordered myself a copy of the Cripple Bastards "From 88-91" DLP - the noisecore era of Cripple Bastards is just perfection for me. Pretty psyched for it to arrive.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

holy ghost wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:50 pm
Scream & Writhe wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:07 pm Mudlark LP+7” (Schizophrenic, 2009)
This was not on my radar but sounds wild. Going to keep an eye out for it. [Edit: also my old friend Darin did the artwork for it]
Should be around the Hammer City bins given that Schizophrenic was behind it!
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Scream & Writhe wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:06 pm
They went out of business years ago.... I'm sure there's a copy sitting in a crate in Hamilton somewhere.....
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

holy ghost wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:21 pm
Scream & Writhe wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:06 pm

They went out of business years ago.... I'm sure there's a copy sitting in a crate in Hamilton somewhere.....
Oh yes, I was of course referring to the city itself, not the shop! (Glad I made it there once before the end. Got a nice live G.I.S.M. bootleg)
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

There is a great new Sissy Spacek collab tape with Isaac of Sulfuric Cautery. Isaac plays drums and Mumma is on vocal duty with Weise playing bass and electronics. Very much the sound you would expect of Spacek mixed with the drumming Sulfuric Cautery. Highly recommend. No digital.

https://blastaddict.bigcartel.com/produ ... n-protapes

I also picked up the 2006 CD copy of the Atrofia Cerebral, Peruvian noisecore legends, Matanza Extrema release. It's great and the recent vinyl press on F.O.A.D. brought the band to my attention. The CD version comes with the additional material from the Putrefacción rehearsal which is very worth tracking down if you liked the other material from the band. I might even say it's better than the album material, but need to spin it more.
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Very late to the game with this band, but recently been enjoying Yacøpsæ. A name I've seen a million and one times and never dug into for one reason or another. Dating back to the early 90's and even having material on Slap-a-Ham. Massive discography and some incredible material.

Any recommended favorites to check out?

Reminds me a bit of Hellnation at times which is one of my favorite bands:

Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Third World Planet - Air Quality Warning 7" (1997)

Mid-late 90s grind band from Vancouver Island, originally a two piece featuring Eric Boros (Hermit, Garbage Society label, Manufracture label) and Jason Flower (Mexican Power Authority, Supreme Echo Records). The lineup later expanded, but the early 2-piece stuff is the best, in my opinion. This 7" might take the cake. I didn't realize until Eric mentioned it today that Kursk (another obscure Canadian grind favourite, from Winnipeg) covered a track off of this 7" (Decay of Necessities) on their split with Half Gorilla which I released on my old label in 2010. Great stuff.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Great band. That split 8” flexi was a very easily accessible record for me when I was a young lad.