Packaging and Playability

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
bobMarinelli
C20

Packaging and Playability

Post by bobMarinelli »

I was going to post this in the "Mourning . . . " thread, but how do I mourn the loss of something I never heard?

OVMN.jpg
OVMN.jpg (64.57 KiB) Viewed 909 times

I got this from Macro Joe, but I never did think a cd wrapped in red duct tape was going to be playable. It's OVMN something or other. Also, I've never actually heard any OVMN. The one release I did get didn't look CD player friendly. but if anyone else got this to work, I'm all ears.

This one I LOVE, although I don't have the skills to open it - lol. This came before dremels were a thing, so maybe if I dremelled it and pried it open like a tin can with pliers I could get at the tape. but I'm happy with it as is. maybe there's a Bandcamp version of it online?

k2front.jpg
k2front.jpg (87.66 KiB) Viewed 909 times
k2back.jpg
k2back.jpg (75.69 KiB) Viewed 909 times

I think pretty much everything else I've bought has been playable.
housepig
Thrashmaster

Re: Packaging and Playability

Post by housepig »

I'll always remember browsing the Relapse catalog back in the 90's and seeing the listing for some cassette or maybe double cassette that was encased in a huge block of concrete, so you had to break open the concrete if you wanted to play it (and also pay for shipping a giant block of concrete!)
moozz
Hard Panning

Post by moozz »

bobMarinelli wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:41 pm I was going to post this in the "Mourning . . . " thread, but how do I mourn the loss of something I never heard?

OVMN.jpg

I got this from Macro Joe, but I never did think a cd wrapped in red duct tape was going to be playable. It's OVMN something or other. Also, I've never actually heard any OVMN. The one release I did get didn't look CD player friendly. but if anyone else got this to work, I'm all ears.
That one is Visions Of Autoerotic Excess And Electromagnetic Life-Force Procedure by OVMN. There is a layer of paper inside so the duct tape is not in contact with the CD itself. BUT! My CD was twisted unplayable due to the steel wire. Took me years and years to find a rip online to finally listen to it. I am not very skilled at finding CD/tape/vinyl/whatever rips online as I pretty much never do that (except in special cases like this).
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

bobMarinelli wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:41 pm This one I LOVE, although I don't have the skills to open it - lol. This came before dremels were a thing, so maybe if I dremelled it and pried it open like a tin can with pliers I could get at the tape. but I'm happy with it as is. maybe there's a Bandcamp version of it online?

k2 front [We Destroyed Barcelona] .jpg
We Destroyed Barcelona ranks right up there with the faves, totally worth the necessary bleeding that you are sure to incur in the process of extraction. Just make sure you're up to date on your tetanus shots.
Greg
C20

Post by Greg »

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:14 am
bobMarinelli wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:41 pm This one I LOVE, although I don't have the skills to open it - lol. This came before dremels were a thing, so maybe if I dremelled it and pried it open like a tin can with pliers I could get at the tape. but I'm happy with it as is. maybe there's a Bandcamp version of it online?

We Destroyed Barcelona ranks right up there with the faves, totally worth the necessary bleeding that you are sure to incur in the process of extraction. Just make sure you're up to date on your tetanus shots.
Fuckin' A right. Got a copy way back from Hideki himself. Actually sent me two, and I gave one to some lucky sonofabitch, can't remember who(?). I opened it by carefully prying it with a very small flat-head screwdriver. Will take a bit of time but it's doable. Weird this comes up now, because I talked with King Kusafuka about this tape, and there'll be CD version at some point, as it's one of my favorite tapes ever. Sits right on my mantle above the fireplace. I had it in my pile when I talked with Oskar, but you're only allow 5(!).

I've never opened the "Stimbox and Dogliveroil - Play the Hits of the 1618 Polk Street Fire Alarm" because I believe(d) the package would be ruined if I did. It's taped up pretty good. Better to just leave it as it is. Deserves a shadow box.
https://www.discogs.com/release/678818- ... Fire-Alarm
A FAIL ASSOCIATION
DADA DRUMMING
SPOTIFY
YOUTUBE
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

I know its frustrating but I like the aesthetic.
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

Greg wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:33 am
Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:14 am

Fuckin' A right. Got a copy way back from Hideki himself. Actually sent me two, and I gave one to some lucky sonofabitch, can't remember who(?). I opened it by carefully prying it with a very small flat-head screwdriver. Will take a bit of time but it's doable. Weird this comes up now, because I talked with King Kusafuka about this tape, and there'll be CD version at some point, as it's one of my favorite tapes ever. Sits right on my mantle above the fireplace. I had it in my pile when I talked with Oskar, but you're only allow 5(!).

I've never opened the "Stimbox and Dogliveroil - Play the Hits of the 1618 Polk Street Fire Alarm" because I believe(d) the package would be ruined if I did. It's taped up pretty good. Better to just leave it as it is. Deserves a shadow box.
https://www.discogs.com/release/678818- ... Fire-Alarm
Not to be devils advocate, but have you ever thought of opening and listening to the album once - maybe write the date down on a piece of paper - and shadowbox it after that?

While I think preserving that tape is cool and admirable, why not enjoy it at least once and then preserve it for the times ahead?
Greg
C20

Post by Greg »

ChicagoAnimal wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:35 pm Not to be devils advocate, but have you ever thought of opening and listening to the album once - maybe write the date down on a piece of paper - and shadowbox it after that?

While I think preserving that tape is cool and admirable, why not enjoy it at least once and then preserve it for the times ahead?
The personal value of some items exist when they're just seen and admired. Like a beautiful woman from across a room. After so many years the sound within can never outdo the sheer presence of the item. This may sound nonsensical when talking about a noise release, but I assure you it's not. To make this sound even more nonsensical, it is presently lying on the floor in my spare room/storage next to a broken cd-r of "Anal Sex Mafia".
A FAIL ASSOCIATION
DADA DRUMMING
SPOTIFY
YOUTUBE
ChicagoAnimal
Hard Panning

Post by ChicagoAnimal »

Greg wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:12 am
ChicagoAnimal wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:35 pm Not to be devils advocate, but have you ever thought of opening and listening to the album once - maybe write the date down on a piece of paper - and shadowbox it after that?

The personal value of some items exist when they're just seen and admired. Like a beautiful woman from across a room. After so many years the sound within can never outdo the sheer presence of the item. This may sound nonsensical when talking about a noise release, but I assure you it's not. To make this sound even more nonsensical, it is presently lying on the floor in my spare room/storage next to a broken cd-r of "Anal Sex Mafia".
It doesn't sound nonsensical to me, and I do understand your logic abut what you are getting at, particular to this item in question.

So, while I do not "collect" sneakers, I like sneakers - Nike, New Balance, Adidas, etc. - and I have known a bunch of people who collect them over the years. This is exactly the same logic they have regarding certain pairs. I not even talking about the pair of Jordan's they are promising they'll wear at a Baptism, I am talking about the pair people will never, ever, dare wear on pavement. Very interesting, imho.