Work/Death

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Work/Death

Post by k.p.g »

What a phenomenal body of work. You have the stone cold classics like "Mulberries Ripen & Rot" and "Excuse Me but I Think You Dropped Something." Other releases, such as "Interstital" and "Le Corbusier" do not reveal their truly hypnotic power right away, but get better with each relisten. And then of course, you have the weird shit. The tracks he did on that one Providence local Hospital compilation are so bizarre & unlike anything else I have really heard from an artist of his time.

Despite all of this though, it seems like Scot Reber is just... gone. No one really knows where to. And while there is some controversy in his departure from noise, I did not create this thread as a means to discuss that stuff. I made it so people could recount their favorite releases from the Work/Death project, favorite live memories or even other projects Scot participated in. I am in a bit of a kick with this stuff right now, so I am hoping to generate a little conversation on the guy & maybe find some new releases I need to keep on the lookout for.
Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Re: Work/Death

Post by Happiness, forever »

I rlly like Work/Death. Tho strangely is been a while since I’ve listened to his work. My favorites were the Teenage Heavy Metal Revisionism cs and the Tender Comrades CD. There are many others quite enjoyable to my damaged brains but those 2 are the business.
Saw him perform once here in Seattle, great show.
I didnt know he had a contentious exit but now I’m curious. 🤨
Tinnitustimulus
C20

Post by Tinnitustimulus »

Before I knew Scott, I remembering hearing he nailed his dick to a piece of wood for a performance (he had a piercing apparently) I never asked to confirm it. I also got Showtunes of the Condemned from Dom when he played Rochester in 2004. I did not know what to expect when he did his first tour. What I did first witness from him in person was pretty incredible. He dragged his large PA across my friend's basement donning nothing but cuts and plastic wrap. Felt very Sisyphusian. The sound was absolutely filthy, what I would compare to mop bucket water to the end of a janitor shift, achieved with every single line6 pedal. I took these pictures of it.
57E3714A-278C-4767-9DD0-E8D862EB0D01.jpg
57E3714A-278C-4767-9DD0-E8D862EB0D01.jpg (30.24 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
8EFDFFA0-4FEB-48DF-B524-71937468927D.jpg
8EFDFFA0-4FEB-48DF-B524-71937468927D.jpg (27.27 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
Every single performance there was a certain dread that was unmatched, even when it was dancy it was that type of trance emptiness that was basically still dread.

I saw him a number times after that, but the only other aktion level of performance I saw him do was finishing a fest outside a warehouse in Providence. He had a loop playing of a radio announcement of a Woonsocket (his postindustrial hometown) electronic store closing sale, with the salesman maniacally, desperately screaming everything must go go go. After maybe 15 minutes of this, he brought a upright piano out. It was small for a piano I suppose, but not a size of anything I would suggest anyone pick up. But he picked it up and dropped it. And he did again and again. and they he started to tumble it, rolling it around. There was piles of palettes that he rolled it onto the went up in ascending height like steps. As he got the piano higher, the more it would fall apart. It was completely destroyed before he got to the top.
Thomas_B
Contact Mic

Post by Thomas_B »

Amazing discography. “Mulberries Ripen And Rot”, “To The Hills Of Altadena”, and “The Approach” are my favourites, but they’re all insanely good.
Buried_slag_debris
C20

Post by Buried_slag_debris »

Stoked this thread is up - I love Scott's work. I know "Phone about to ring" is often sited … I think rightly so … and honestly everything I own and have heard has been inspiring to me. Also amazing audio, and visual work on his label Three Songs of Lenin. Most is multi coloured screen-printed. Recommend picking up any of those releases. I still have more to hunt down myself.

I don't know much controversy with him - and maybe I don't want to know haha. But I wish he was still making sounds for us.
Thomas_B
Contact Mic

Post by Thomas_B »

Buried_slag_debris wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:15 pm

I don't know much controversy with him - and maybe I don't want to know haha. But I wish he was still making sounds for us.
The alleged “controversy” is a mystery to me, too. Truth is, I don’t know and I don’t care. Just listened to “Accepting Irreparable Mechanics” on his Three Songs Of Lenin imprint, and holy, is it ever maudlin in the best way possible. I have to reiterate, everything he did that I have heard is amazing in its own way.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

Plenty excellent Work/Death releases mentioned already, in fact every favorite of mine. So I'll just mention his equally brilliant side moniker Ordinary Machinery instead. Similar to what he did as Work/Death in many ways, but with OM the grain is more coarse and slightly less sanded down. More bolts and nails poling out, so to speak, but the pace and method is the same.
This is a good one:

Thomas_B
Contact Mic

Post by Thomas_B »

Capers wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:56 pm …with OM the grain is more coarse and slightly less sanded down. More bolts and nails poling out, so to speak, but the pace and method is the same.
I’m happy you brought up Ordinary Machinery! It’s another great project that stands on its own. I really like the way you described Ordinary Machinery in relation to Work/Death. I agree, it’s fairly obvious that both projects’ recordings have the same origin/creator; but, their overall impact is quite different - OM being more industrial, impenetrable, and W/D being more human and warm.
Buried_slag_debris
C20

I need to get that Ordinary Machinery at some point Erik - it is really good.

This thread is making go back through everything. I have a copy of Theories Of Forgetting … which I didn't clue in (or maybe I did at one point haha) was Scott and Gordon Wilson Ashworth (Caen/Oscillating Innards), who I also love, and could also maybe use a thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIG7Ip3rwmA
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Buried_slag_debris wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:56 pm I need to get that Ordinary Machinery at some point Erik - it is really good.

This thread is making go back through everything. I have a copy of Theories Of Forgetting … which I didn't clue in (or maybe I did at one point haha) was Scott and Gordon Wilson Ashworth (Caen/Oscillating Innards), who I also love, and could also maybe use a thread.

I was trying to remember the name of this. I saw them play solo here in Montreal on the tour they did this for. Great show that was sadly vastly under-attended, much like the last time I saw Ashworth in Vancouver...
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Wow! Thanks for this. I really like his stuff though I was only able to find Phone about to ring on spotify. Any site recommendations for his backstory or interviews? I like the mystery and the live stories.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Saw him on a bill with I think Gordon Ashworth around ten years ago. He had so many things going on at the same time - moving parts, synths, what-have-you, that I was astonished. And it sounded incredible. One of the best noise sets I've ever seen. I can't imagine how much time and effort he put into it. Still think about it to this day, playing it over in my head. Definitely something I aspire to...
Buried_slag_debris
C20

Scream & Writhe wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:24 pm
Buried_slag_debris wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:56 pm I need to get that Ordinary Machinery at some point Erik - it is really good.

I was trying to remember the name of this. I saw them play solo here in Montreal on the tour they did this for. Great show that was sadly vastly under-attended, much like the last time I saw Ashworth in Vancouver...
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:26 pm Saw him on a bill with I think Gordon Ashworth around ten years ago. He had so many things going on at the same time - moving parts, synths, what-have-you, that I was astonished. And it sounded incredible. One of the best noise sets I've ever seen. I can't imagine how much time and effort he put into it. Still think about it to this day, playing it over in my head. Definitely something I aspire to...
You guys are both lucky! Wish I would have traveled to see him why he was still active.

Another Work/Death video to add here - his live sets I have only seen via YouTube. I like this one a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af36QSYvvUE&t=262s

Would love to read or hear some interviews with him if anyone knows of any.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Buried_slag_debris wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:35 pm
Scream & Writhe wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:24 pm

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:26 pm Saw him on a bill with I think Gordon Ashworth around ten years ago. He had so many things going on at the same time - moving parts, synths, what-have-you, that I was astonished. And it sounded incredible. One of the best noise sets I've ever seen. I can't imagine how much time and effort he put into it. Still think about it to this day, playing it over in my head. Definitely something I aspire to...
You guys are both lucky! Wish I would have traveled to see him why he was still active.

Another Work/Death video to add here - his live sets I have only seen via YouTube. I like this one a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af36QSYvvUE&t=262s

Would love to read or hear some interviews with him if anyone knows of any.
I watched that video yesterday and not only was the film work top notch the performance was astounding. I also like how his last name is a palindrome
shrouded.in.antiquity
Hard Panning

Post by shrouded.in.antiquity »

Work/death is a very important project to me both in sound and visual approach. Mulberries Ripen and Rot as well as Go and Be Gone are two of my favorite noise releases and I often return to them.
This is not an "interview" strictly speaking, but he says a few things about his work and background for this artist feature:
https://as220.org/foo-fest-preview-workdeath/
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Yes, I am extremely lucky to have seen him!
oppositional
Blank Tape

Post by oppositional »

quite literally and without hyperbole, the best to ever do it. miss him dearly; keep hoping somehow he will return, as his absence leaves an irreplaceable void.

never, forget, work/death.
thevomitarsonist
Contact Mic

Post by thevomitarsonist »

i've seen work/death a bunch of times, but one memory sticks out: 119 gallery in lowell, guessing around 2010-- it was so loud i had to leave the room. it wasn't even like it was all high pitched feedback, that's easy to destroy someone's ears with -- this was all low end rumble and it was absolutely nauseating. impressive.
thevomitarsonist.bandcamp.com
danversstate.storenvy.com
k.p.g
Hard Panning

Post by k.p.g »

I am really glad this topic gained traction. It is awesome to see so many stories and record suggestions come this way. I hope that we can continue to remember how great & inspiring Scott was for the time this genre had him.
Blemish
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
Master Grave Services
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

thevomitarsonist wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:29 pm i've seen work/death a bunch of times, but one memory sticks out: 119 gallery in lowell, guessing around 2010-- it was so loud i had to leave the room. it wasn't even like it was all high pitched feedback, that's easy to destroy someone's ears with -- this was all low end rumble and it was absolutely nauseating. impressive.
WOW!!!!!!!!
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

oppositional wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:26 am quite literally and without hyperbole, the best to ever do it. miss him dearly; keep hoping somehow he will return, as his absence leaves an irreplaceable void.

never, forget, work/death.
I went the rabbit hole when this thread came up. Found some people that know/knew him even found a residency he did in Japan, even found a phone number for him in Rhode Island. I haven't reached out to anyone because if the guy wanted to be found he obviously knows how to use a computer, so I will respect the mans space and look to collect his catalog one way or another.
Crimesofthecrown777
Contact Mic

Post by Crimesofthecrown777 »

This guy was incredibly talented. Saw him with Concern on that last tour that both of them did.

Sure, most of you here probably don't know the drama but goddamn if it isn't sad.

I think that whats even more disappointing is that even after the drama Scott refused to come back. People have tried to convince him (even those that cast stones, they apologized profusely) but to no avail.

However, only cowards back down forever, especially on false accusations.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Crimesofthecrown777 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:52 am This guy was incredibly talented. Saw him with Concern on that last tour that both of them did.

Sure, most of you here probably don't know the drama but goddamn if it isn't sad.

I think that whats even more disappointing is that even after the drama Scott refused to come back. People have tried to convince him (even those that cast stones, they apologized profusely) but to no avail.

What was the drama? The last I was able to find was a residency in Japan.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Crimesofthecrown777 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:52 am This guy was incredibly talented. Saw him with Concern on that last tour that both of them did.

He might just be worn out.

And yeah, things were really bad, at least at first.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

luciferjonez wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:01 pm

What was the drama? The last I was able to find was a residency in Japan.

Unfounded sexual assault allegations. While I'm a Leftist, I was disgusted by how things were handled.