Books

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Books

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Anyone else on [Goodreads.com]? It's like letterboxd dot com, except for books (duh). I mainly use it to keep track of recommendations I get. Had one too many hard drive crashes and I don't like writing lists or making them on cellphones. And yes, I realize that making this public makes oneself more open to government surveillance, but... they pretty much already know this already. If I were living under a regime where people were severely repressed for that, though, that would be a different story.

Anyhow, post your address on there and feel free to add me. There's still A LOT of stuff I haven't added yet, so please don't judge me based on what I have listed so far. Haha

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/145573421-tim
Noise Fanatic

Re: Goodreads.com

Post by 33033 »

Added you.
Here's mine:
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/171 ... olas-gibas

Dig this site but I guess it is owned by the sinister overlord Bezos..
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Re: Goodreads.com

33033 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:10 pm Added you.
Here's mine:
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/171 ... olas-gibas

Dig this site but I guess it is owned by the sinister overlord Bezos..
Thank you! Added you back.

And... yeah... what can you do? :P
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Re: Books

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Modified thread title to introduce a general Book thread as an expanded topic, and where the original post content about goodreads.com would likely pop up in anyways.

Currently reading Braquemard: The Clavicle of Gilles de Rais by Martin Bladh, and The Legacy of World War II in European Arthouse Cinema by Samm Deighan. The latter of which is proving to be an essential tome on the subject, influencing a lot of what I'm watching right now and affirming thoughts on some things I already know and love (the films of Jean-Pierre Melville, for instance).
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

I was actually thinking of starting a straight "Now Reading" thread but then saw this one.

ANYWAY,

Currently reading Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I just read King's On Writing: A Memoir Of The Craft, and it really helped me with not only my own creative writing but also my comprehension while reading. I used to feel like 800+ pages books were these dauntingly insane journeys but something clicked after On Writing.... Loving the atmosphere in Salems Lot, and looking forward to watching the old miniseries too.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Scream & Writhe wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:04 am Modified thread title to introduce a general Book thread as an expanded topic, and where the original post content about goodreads.com would likely pop up in anyways.

Currently reading Braquemard: The Clavicle of Gilles de Rais by Martin Bladh, and The Legacy of World War II in European Arthouse Cinema by Samm Deighan. The latter of which is proving to be an essential tome on the subject, influencing a lot of what I'm watching right now and affirming thoughts on some things I already know and love (the films of Jean-Pierre Melville, for instance).
Smart idea!
-NRRRRK-
Hard Panning

Post by -NRRRRK- »

Signed up to goodreads last year. Still not sure if I really like it or not, but keeping track my reading list is a nice feature so far.

Here is my profile: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/127 ... stephancoh
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

I know it’s owned by Bezos and the Amazon overlords but I love goodreads. I set my insane reading challenge of 35 books last year and just made it. This year I’m aiming for 25+.

Currently reading The City We Became by N.K. Jemisin which I don’t like as much as the Stone Sky trilogy which I fucking inhaled last year. It’s still really good and I will definitely keep going.

Just read The Tommyknockers by King - one is never read, it gets a bad rep but it’s really fun - too long and he was obviously more interested in cocaine than an editor, but like, this is not that different than the rest of his books. Not his best but I’m glad I read it.

Also read Universal Harvester by John Darnielle. I really loved Wolf in White Van and just got to this one. It was very weird and I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to his next book this year.

Last book of 2021 was The Cabin at the End of the Woods by Paul Tremblay. It was okay. Nu- horror is always hit and miss with me. I might hit up another of his books. Then again, I might not…..
DeathOrgone
Contact Mic

Post by DeathOrgone »

My Goodreads profile : https://www.goodreads.com/deathorgone

I'm mostly only reading theory and philosophy right now - can't wait to return to my pile of weird fictions.
Ineffable Slime
Hard Panning

Post by Ineffable Slime »

I enjoyed Braquemard a lot; hypnotic with incredibly imagery. The illustrations being done in Bladh's blood were a nice touch too. Very much looking forward to the Amphetamine Sulphate / Science Fiction anthology out next month, it looks massive. I have the Sotos/Maunz book but haven't had a chance to really dive in.

I picked up Marco Del Rio's novella A Clove Studded Orange earlier this month and finished it in a night. Excellent Marin County weird fiction; having spent some years living in that hippie mystic millieu in Olympia, it felt very real to me. That lead me to Neighbor George by Victoria Nelson, which is just pitch perfect occult hippie horror from the late 80s. Slow, almost "Hitchcockian" build then it just bursts into truly mind-bending, Clive Barker style weirdness.

Also, MDR has started up https://www.personnel-press.com/ which is a great source of affordable weird fiction/occult/new age literature.
Pentagrimes
Sound Art

Post by Pentagrimes »

used Goodreads from time to time, can't remember my log in now and my reading has gone to shit in the last 2 years.

I did just get 3 Brian Evenson books from my brother for Xmas which I'm working through, all short story collections. So far I'm on "Song For The Unravelling of the World" and really enjoying it.
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

don't know about the internet stuff, but I read the books.
Samuel Beckett is the main source for meditation I return to all the time.
Lately I have read 辞世の言葉, "words of death poems" which was a sort of explanatory book for various people's death poems ranging for few hundred years. I also read Hamlet for the first time, and received a bunch of books on art and religion from my teacher, so I read the records of Ling chi (Rinzai zen), , few haiku collections, poems by Shuntaro Tanigawa, "Ryokan the Great Fool", a collection of his poems and a short depiction of his life. Still have a pile of books waiting. My Japanese is still slower than I would want it to be, but I am just glad to be able to read it at all.
Brian O'Blivion
Hard Panning

Post by Brian O'Blivion »

Not sure if anyone else is into erotica, but I've recently read Little Birds, a collection of short stories by Anaïs Nin, and The Image by Jean de Berg. Both were fantastic and very well written. I've picked up a few other books in the same vein that I'll get to reading this spring.

This is me if you're looking for someone else to follow on goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/103 ... ron-scholz
DeathOrgone
Contact Mic

Post by DeathOrgone »

Currently reading Parables for the Virtual by Brian Massumi. Mindbending stuff. I highly recommend the chapter on Stelarc performances. PDF available on Monoskop.

https://monoskop.org/images/d/dc/Massum ... ntions.pdf
theworldisawarfilm
C20

Post by theworldisawarfilm »

Have two books on the go proper: Colin Wilson's bio of Wilhelm Reich and David Grubbs 'Records Ruin the Landscape.'

Frequently taking obscure things out from the university library from casual perusal/use in projects. Recent highlights would be Christopher Simpson's 'Science of Coercion' (examining the role of the emergent field of communications studies in the cultural cold war), a collection of interviews with Jerzy Kosinski ('Conversations with Jerzy Kosinski') and G.H. Estabrooks' seminal and sus text on hypnotism titled, simply, 'Hypnotism.'
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Finally had some real time to spend with the Death Squad - Collected Documentation: 1997 North American Tour book and some of the accompanying CDs. Lots of great photos throughout, including Keith Brewer (Mania/Taint) strolling around the Mount Carmel site at Waco (and another ominous shot just of Keith's parked car). While it's straightforward in its execution, Michael Nine's personable comments regarding endless miles logged before sleeping at sketchy highway rest stops, visiting sites and memorials of then-relatively recent tragedies like Oklahoma City and Waco, and regular activities during the sometimes lengthy downtime between gigs allow it to go beyond being a simple tour diary. The book often brings to mind the touring histories of bands like Black Flag and D.O.A. - booking gigs from payphones and pagers while on the road, mailing presskits in advance to anyone who might be a potential lead for a show, paper maps, and occasionally using a primitive internet to connect with the few who were online at the time- perhaps one of the last tours to ever be done in such a manner without the full aid of the internet, and done completely solo. It's an essential tome and, as with most of MK9's work, is forthright in its humanity.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Ineffable Slime
Hard Panning

Post by Ineffable Slime »

Yea, I greatly enjoyed my time with it, and the layout/presentation is superb. It was a hoot looking up the ABQ date of the tour and seeing his car got broken into....some things never change. From the art to the photography, a supremely evocative work, and a good reminder of the importance of documentation, otherwise all of this would have just been lost to history. The bits with Keith were the best, great pic of Greg Scott too!
junkyardshaman
Hard Panning

Post by junkyardshaman »

Started reading Terminalian Drift by Jerry Gordon. A man buys an used artist skin online, puts it on and goes off to buy some drugs to make the transition into new skin go smoother. Not too far into it yet but it's great and the description of how to put on another person's skin made me squirm in my own in a good way. Love visceral experiences like this, reminds me of Céline's shotgun suicide on a frozen bridge, one of the best passages I have ever read!
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Just picked up CABAL by Clive Barker & THE CLEARING by Dan Newman. Not as into The Clearing. It's fine but the time jumps are sort of disjointed for me.
Brian O'Blivion
Hard Panning

Post by Brian O'Blivion »

I spent my Saturday morning reading Japrocksampler: How the Post-War Japanese Blew Their Minds on Rock 'n' Roll by Julian Cope. Though I find his writing style somewhat obnoxious, Cope certainly did his research and provides a good overview of Japanese rock history before devoting chapters to more in-depth analyses of groups such as Les Rallizes Dénudés, Taj Mahal Travellers, Flower Travellin' Band, and others.

At some point, I will read Cope's other book which discusses kosmische, but I've had Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States sitting on my shelf since last summer, so will begin reading that next.
Parthenon_23
Contact Mic

Post by Parthenon_23 »

Currently reading:

-High Weirdness (Survey of PDK, Robert Anton Wilson and Terence McKenna)

-Mindbridge by Joe Haldeman

Rereading:

-Cosmic Trigger (pt.1) by Robert Anton Wilson

Always reading:

-The Maximus Poems by Charles Olson
-Secret Teachings of All The Ages by Manly P. Hall
-The Anatomy of Melancholy by Robert Burton
-NRRRRK-
Hard Panning

Post by -NRRRRK- »

Parthenon_23 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:50 pm Currently reading:

What's your opinion on that? It's on my "to-read" list too, haven't gotten it though.
Parthenon_23
Contact Mic

Post by Parthenon_23 »

-NRRRRK- wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:51 am
Parthenon_23 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:50 pm Currently reading:

What's your opinion on that? It's on my "to-read" list too, haven't gotten it though.
I just finished it. It's pretty indispensable for anyone well versed on any of its subjects (I knew of McKenna, but read a lot of PKD and RAW growing up), focusing on their mystical or paranormal experiences set against the backdrop of the 70s "New-Age" phenomenon (I hesitate to say "movement"). It is not a hagiography, and attempts to present a fairly balanced view of its subjects.
XXX
C20

Post by XXX »

i have yet to find a contemporary author on the same level as New Juche. his novel mountainhead is easily my most lent out book.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

yullowteef wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:35 pm I spent my Saturday morning reading Japrocksampler: How the Post-War Japanese Blew Their Minds on Rock 'n' Roll by Julian Cope. Though I find his writing style somewhat obnoxious, Cope certainly did his research and provides a good overview of Japanese rock history before devoting chapters to more in-depth analyses of groups such as Les Rallizes Dénudés, Taj Mahal Travellers, Flower Travellin' Band, and others.
I read this and enjoyed it - I wish Krautrocksampler would come back into print as I’d love to give that one a go.

Just finished Columbine - very interesting and deep look at the massacre, the media response and what shaped Harris & Klebold. Pretty dark but I enjoyed the read especially as the author was a reporter on site and then wrote how he’s spent the last 20 years trying to right the mistakes the press made those first few months, ie they were not bullied, Harris was an unrepentant psychopath and the warning signs were there for anyone to see.

Currently reading Bachman/Kings “Thinner” and really enjoying it. One of the few King novels from his classic period I haven’t read.

Also just read John Darnelle’s Universal Harvester - super weird and I just bought Devil House for after this.